The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

That is literally what Smith Rowe is brilliant at. Very clever as well.

He'd be competing with Mount and Foden, he's never going to play CM for Southgate(or perhaps any manager). The closest he'd get is as some kind of dual #8 but I'm talking more about someone who is going to sit deep, take the ball under pressure and keep it moving. Until we find a player or two like that we'll continue to largely bypass the midfield and work it out wide instead.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

We lack someone who will always make themselves available and get us playing. The closest we've had in recent years was Winks but his form fell off a cliff, before him there was Wilshere but injuries killed him. We can still win without that type of player but we won't do it without ceding possession whenever we come up against the top sides.

Foden is that player, we just don't play a system that uses that type of player

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Foden is that player, we just don't play a system that uses that type of player

We've got the players to play multiple systems. It's just a case of what Southgate wants to do, really. 

7 minutes ago, brett.spurs said:

He'd be competing with Mount and Foden, he's never going to play CM for Southgate(or perhaps any manager). The closest he'd get is as some kind of dual #8 but I'm talking more about someone who is going to sit deep, take the ball under pressure and keep it moving. Until we find a player or two like that we'll continue to largely bypass the midfield and work it out wide instead.

I think a…

Rice

Bellingham Foden

…three could work.

I need to see more of Bellingham. I can see he's good but not 100% sure what type of midfielder he is. When I saw him against Man City in CL he was everywhere. Box to box, all over the pitch in a 3. How tidy is his passing though?

8 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I need to see more of Bellingham. I can see he's good but not 100% sure what type of midfielder he is. When I saw him against Man City in CL he was everywhere. Box to box, all over the pitch in a 3. How tidy is his passing though?

He's a specimen. B2B imo. 

9 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Yeah that’s why I think that 3 would compliment each other well (in the right system of course). Rice sits, Bellingham box-to-box and Foden picking up the ball dictating play and creating from the midfield. 

27 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Has everything to be a world class box to box player if he continues to develop. Clever passer too. 

2 minutes ago, Reggiana said:

Are we ruling out a Phil Jones recall?

Never rule it out. 

Once of my favourite memories of the Russia World Cup was him randomly tearing forward in the third place playoff.  Carrying the ball into Belgium's box like Sol Campbell at France 98.

4 hours ago, The_jagster said:

My worry for next tournament is that Kane regresses a bit or gets injured, the back up options as a striker aren't great atm.

It's Bamford's time :cool:

Wait, what was all this about club biases again? 

In seriousness though, very intrigued to see how Toney gets on next season. Bit of luck he might become second choice but he'll of course need to perform very well.

Kane moving to Man City is one of the best things that could happen for England tbh.

Guardiola will make him a better player if possible and he won't play as many games/get injured as much. As much as I hate the big clubs vacuuming up all the talent I hope they get him because there is such a massive drop off in quality for our striker options after Kane. Couldn't imagine going into a tournament without him. 

5 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Yeah I've been worried about our centre backs but actually what we have is quite good really. They need protection obviously but then most centre backs do these days. 

Centre midfield is where we need to take a step forward. Bellingham looking like he might be a generational talent is huge. And I'm convinced Smith Rowe is going break into the squad in the next few months.

I think ESR gets into the next squad. 

11 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Who does ESR come into the squad for though? Bear in mind we have to cut it back to 23. He's not better than Mount, Foden or Grealish, is he?

I assume he'll rotate a bit as he likes to try new players, particularly after a long tournament 

Also I saw the stuff about how I've defended Saka all tournament.

I was pretty consistent about how England needed more runners, I wanted either Sancho or Saka to start because we play better with players like that than Foden or Mount wide

There's an old episode of Mock the Week from 2014 on Dave, just after Germany won the World Cup and it had Hugh Dennis talking about our tournament: "If anyone's watching this in a few years time on Dave - we're still ****, aren't we?"

I feel like Dave chose this episode on purpose.

Composite Prime director Charles Taylor said while it was an exciting time for everyone in England and given the opportunity, they would have encouraged attendance to such an important football match.  “Unfortunately, on this occasion our employee lied, taking one day off sick to attend the football match on Wednesday, July 7.  “This was in breach of her employment contract and so we had no choice."

Glad this guy isn't my boss :D Should be asking himself why they have a culture where people don't feel they can ask for time off at short notice for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Going to put this is spoilers because the language is disgusting, but this is apparently a Portsmouth youth team groupchat 

Only good thing is none of them will ever have a career in football after this 

People have already found who they are from match reports

*Warning* clicking on the below Twitter thread will bring up disgusting racist language 

2 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Going to put this is spoilers because the language is disgusting, but this is apparently a Portsmouth youth team groupchat 

Only good thing is none of them will ever have a career in football after this 

People have already found who they are from match reports

May wanna remove the racist part as I got a warning the other night for posting similar...

• SI Staff

Already done, please don't reshare that sort of content on the boards, thanks. 

Jokes aside…. And I had plenty, … this is disgusting… I would hope all the relevant parties are sacked before the day is over, if not, shame on the club

7 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Jokes aside…. And I had plenty, … this is disgusting… I would hope all the relevant parties are sacked before the day is over, if not, shame on the club

Was going to say exactly the same

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

They were all found within minutes of that post anyway from match reports, all their Twitter names were posted as well, they've ****ed their lives up 

I'd send them all out on loan to clubs in Africa or the Caribbean, cultural exchange loans or something like that. Give them a chance to actually learn about other cultures and maybe teach them not to be racist scumbags.

5 minutes ago, decapitated said:

The Athletic is saying he's denying it, but he has been in Ghana for a holiday recently and hasn't closed the door on switching to them.

Let's be honest unless he has a massive upturn in form he isn't getting anywhere near the squad so would be no surprise at all to see him switch.

Tbf. Can't say England have overlooked him or disregarded him. He got a few caps off the back of some good games for Chelsea, and look alright. Then got injured and yet to really kick on at Chelsea. And wasn't he captain of the u21s this year? 

He's still only 20 though. Think it will be a bit rash to switch npw (unless he just really wants to play for Ghana)