The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

I think he will match up because like Germany a lot of their attacks go through the wing backs.

Their centre backs looked comfortable with aerial balls, the goal they conceded yesterday came from a low cross but I think Denmark will also be more defensive as they won't want Kjaer or Vestergaard isolated against our wide attackers, just like the first 10 minutes vs Wales.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

I love how physically strong we look. Last two games we've properly overpowered the opposition in the second half. Feels like after so much non stop football since we sport restarted after the first wave of the pandemic, having a big squad is a huge advantage.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I love how physically strong we look. Last two games we've properly overpowered the opposition in the second half. Feels like after so much non stop football since we sport restarted after the first wave of the pandemic, having a big squad is a huge advantage.

We definitely held back in the group stages

Think it helped that Ukraine have had to travel loads and last game went the full distance. We in comparison to other sides, have had minimal travel and games been quite slow paced. Germany game was more mentally draining than physically, and players seem to be recovered from that after last night. 

With near full houses for next two games, and facing sides that have had to do more travelling after group stages and longer games, I just can’t see how we don’t win it :) Italy/Spain going the distance would be nice. 

Really loved how Southgate mentioned the other players who haven't been involved in his interview last night. The team spirit he's cultivated is undoubtedly his biggest strength, he makes every player feel valued even if they're not playing.

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

Home advantage is really good. The atmosphere Wednesday is going to be best it's even been at new Wembley. Best since 96. It's going to unlike anything we've seen at Wembley before. 

Yep. 60,000 in on Wednesday night too. I've been a little critical of Wembley in the past, the prawn sandwich brigade etc but it was fantastic in the Germany game and there's going to be even more in for the Denmark game. Should be roaring. 

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Yep. 60,000 in on Wednesday night too. I've been a little critical of Wembley in the past, the prawn sandwich brigade etc but it was fantastic in the Germany game and there's going to be even more in for the Denmark game. Should be roaring. 

In fairness, for big games like FA cup finals and things the atmosphere has always been really good at Wembley. We've just not really had all that many big England games at Wembley, we've not struggled in qualifiers for ages for example. Was nice to have a brilliant atmosphere for the Germany game and I'm sure it will be great again on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

How many headers did we score last night? It felt like loads. You can tell it’s a big part of Southgate’s plan.

pretty sure one of the commentators/pundits mentioned it was the first time in Euro finals history that a team had scored 3 headers in a match, which is surprising

13 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Good point actually, is the England semifinal on BBC or ITV?

13 hours ago, bolton1987 said:

ITV

This is bad news. Pougatch is gonna screw us over :(

2 hours ago, Pukey said:

Really loved how Southgate mentioned the other players who haven't been involved in his interview last night. The team spirit he's cultivated is undoubtedly his biggest strength, he makes every player feel valued even if they're not playing.

I’ve been heavily critical of Southgate in the past, but he is doing a phenomenal job with this part of things :applause:

6 hours ago, The_jagster said:

I think he will match up because like Germany a lot of their attacks go through the wing backs.

Their centre backs looked comfortable with aerial balls, the goal they conceded yesterday came from a low cross but I think Denmark will also be more defensive as they won't want Kjaer or Vestergaard isolated against our wide attackers, just like the first 10 minutes vs Wales.

Trippier for Mount then. Would keep Sancho on as he was excellent yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Gone pretty much under the radar that John Stones has broken Bobby Moores record with 5 straight clean sheets for England 

and isn't a thief either

19 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Stones is an underrated turnaround story too. Luke Shaw getting praised and rightly so but Stones was down and out a year ago. He looked broken.

If the Euro's had taken place last summer as intended he'd likely not have been in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

If the Euro's had taken place last summer as intended he'd likely not have been in the squad. 

Who would have been our first choice pairing this time last year? Maguire and ?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

You could say that about a lot of players - Stones, Shaw, Saka, Foden, Phillips... I'm not sure any of them make it.

A year earlier and we probably don't have half the depth we do now, a lot of players have come on a long way the last 12 months.

Edited by Bootador

The difference between Denmark and Germany in their 3-4-3s is that in Denmark's case, there's much more of a focus on getting the wing-back on one side to overlap (in this case Maehle), rather than using both Gosens and Kimmich to stretch the pitch as with Germany. Also, the centreback stepping forward for the Germans was [the right-sided] Ginter rather than the central player of the three; for Denmark it's Christensen who likes to step up.

Denmark may start off as a 3-4-3 but their setup makes them much more able to transition to an effective 4-3-3 if the situation requires. England will need a slightly different gameplan than vs the Germans, and I think Southgate should at least consider keeping the 3 in midfield rather than trying to match their formation up.

5 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Stones is an underrated turnaround story too. Luke Shaw getting praised and rightly so but Stones was down and out a year ago. He looked broken.

So was Shaw. This time last year there were huge questions about his United future with the chase of Telles

2 players with club careers staring down the barrel and 12 months on, they have been immense

I've given up trying to book somewhere for Wednesday. Everything fully booked up. Can imagine the same Sunday if we make final. Bloody Covid. When I used to imagine what I'd do if England won the Euros it was never meant to be sitting at home with a few tins! 

Mate of mine gambled and got a ticket last week for Semi. Paid £300. Hate him

12 hours ago, Bootador said:

You could say that about a lot of players - Stones, Shaw, Saka, Foden, Phillips... I'm not sure any of them make it.

A year earlier and we probably don't have half the depth we do now, a lot of players have come on a long way the last 12 months.

Of course, wasn't having a pop at Stones. The delayed Euro's, as I've said before was something that has aided England as you mention with several of the younger players getting an extra season of senior football and Phillips playing in the PL for the first time, although he did get called up when Leeds were in the Championship iirc, he's a better player now than he would've been 12 months ago. 

There's a good half dozen that might well not have made the squad had the Euro's taken place as originally intended.

If anyone hasn't listened, Southgate was on an episode of Jake Humphrie's High Performance podcast.  The way he speaks about his job is a massive insight, and it's clear why this England feels so different.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3RoZS1oaWdoLXBlcmZvcm1hbmNlLXBvZGNhc3Q/episode/N2RlMDk4M2QtNDE4MC00Y2YyLTk1YzEtNDIxYzZkOTdjOTBm?ep=14

2 minutes ago, ham_aka_stam said:

If anyone hasn't listened, Southgate was on an episode of Jake Humphrie's High Performance podcast.  The way he speaks about his job is a massive insight, and it's clear why this England feels so different.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3RoZS1oaWdoLXBlcmZvcm1hbmNlLXBvZGNhc3Q/episode/N2RlMDk4M2QtNDE4MC00Y2YyLTk1YzEtNDIxYzZkOTdjOTBm?ep=14

Watched that pre Euro's, was a really good watch.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Of course, wasn't having a pop at Stones. The delayed Euro's, as I've said before was something that has aided England as you mention with several of the younger players getting an extra season of senior football and Phillips playing in the PL for the first time, although he did get called up when Leeds were in the Championship iirc, he's a better player now than he would've been 12 months ago. 

There's a good half dozen that might well not have made the squad had the Euro's taken place as originally intended.

Phillips was called up in September, so we were in the PL but hadn't played a game yet because of the delayed season start. The extra year undoubtedly cemented his place in the euro squad, though Southgate had had his eye on him since just after the world cup and there was a suggestion he was possibly going to be in the March squad before covid buggered everything up. 

Edited by Pukey

25 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah, wasn't taking it as a pop at Stones. More that I'm not sure we're half as good a side 12 months ago - seems all the stars have aligned from a draw and player development perspective for this tournament.

10 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Phillips was called up in September, so we were in the PL but hadn't played a game yet because of the delayed season start. The extra year undoubtedly cemented his place in the euro squad, though Southgate had had his eye on him since just after the world cup and there was a suggestion he was possibly going to be in the March squad before covid buggered everything up. 

Ah right, thought Phillips got a call up last March.

Wait, we finished with nine men? Absolutely no memory of that whatsoever :D 

Still can’t believe that Nations League campaign even got played, patched up teams flying off around Europe to play in empty stadiums while everyone was going back into lockdowns. Wouldn’t read too much into it.