The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

Seeing as Rob DEMANDED a new thread be made here to take over the one in the football forum...

Who's on the plane? Who's staying home? How many times will we see posts complaining that Grealish isn't starting? Discuss it all here.

Edited by Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming all fit and well and recovered

Starters

Pickford
Shaw
Maguire
Stones
TAA
Rice
Henderson
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

On the plane

Henderson
Pope
James
Walker
Chilwell
Tomori
Mings
Phillips
Bellingham
Grealish
Saka
Sancho
Rashford
Greenwood
DCL

19 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Assuming all fit and well and recovered

Starters

Pickford
Shaw
Maguire
Stones
TAA
Rice
Henderson
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

On the plane

Henderson
Pope
James
Walker
Chilwell
Tomori
Mings
Phillips
Bellingham
Grealish
Saka
Sancho
Rashford
Greenwood
DCL

No Trippier?

Sterling starting in his form would be a awful decision, given his form, and alternatives. 

Seriously doubt Henderson will be fit to start. 

25 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

You missed out Konsa and Matty Cash.

:D

I like both tbf, but we have about 10 million good right backs and I think Konsa is better than Mings, but I don't think you can throw him into a tournament with no prior national experience really.

3 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

No Trippier?

Trippier obviously unlucky with the depth there too, plus I think he's more a traditional full back whereas TAA, James and Walker all offer more. He'd be a starter in almost any other era though.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

The larger squad will probably save him, but as it stands he's likely England's 4th choice right back 

From being a near enough guaranteed starter if it hadn't been delayed a year! 

31 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I don't get the point here? 

On a possibly related note (may be what you mean), some England fans' attitude to attacking full backs is so outdated.

my point is england aren't tactically good enough to choose a attacking 90 defending 78 RB over a 80 att, 85 def RB.

although i'd probably choose him

41 minutes ago, Citizen Kane said:

my point is england aren't tactically good enough to choose a attacking 90 defending 78 RB over a 80 att, 85 def RB.

although i'd probably choose him

Only because of said clown manager. 

It doesn't even take a tactical genius anyway, let Trent go forward, tell the holding mid to cover when needed. 

10 hours ago, ajw10 said:

the sad thing is, Dier is definitely going at the expense of a huge talent

At the expense of who? Outside first 2 centre backs our options are really weak. Desperate for Maguire to be fit. Not because he's THAT good but because without him Southgate will go back 3 I reckon. 

Mings is pretty much first reserve. Then it's like Dier, Keane, Coady. Or uncapped Konsa and Godfrey.

How can we have a billion right backs but no centre backs

Edit: And Tomori too I guess. Doing well at Milan

Edited by skybluedave

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

At the expense of who? Outside first 2 centre backs our options are really weak. Desperate for Maguire to be fit. Not because he's THAT good but because without him Southgate will go back 3 I reckon. 

Mings is pretty much first reserve. Then it's like Dier, Keane, Coady. Or uncapped Konsa and Godfrey.

How can we have a billion right backs but no centre backs

Don’t reall-|~, po?

Stones, Maguire, Mings, Tomori/Keane. And if you're playing 3ATB, then Walker is in the mix as well. The only argument for Dier is versatility (not that I think he's good enough at either position), but that's a lot less compelling with three extra roster spots. 

Yeh but they're not very good. The argument is Dier is taking the spot of someone with amazing talent. None of those guys are amazingly talented. And if Southgate wants three at the back as an option he'll need five central defenders + Walker.

16 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Only because of said clown manager. 

It doesn't even take a tactical genius anyway, let Trent go forward, tell the holding mid to cover when needed. 

If he takes Walker, James and Trippier...why seriously? One of those (James or Trippier I'm assuming) will be redundant. At least take TAA as the third option as someone who offers something different and who can create. Tbf though even if he does take TAA he probably won't have the balls to even bring him on.

9 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

If he takes Walker, James and Trippier...why seriously? One of those (James or Trippier I'm assuming) will be redundant. At least take TAA as the third option as someone who offers something different and who can create. Tbf though even if he does take TAA he probably won't have the balls to even bring him on.

Yeah, people are worried about whether he should be in the squad, but if I was wanting England to do well I’d be worried about whether he’s starting. Same goes for Grealish :brock: 

For once England have a lot of talent but they have one of the worst managers around to unleash it. I’d love to see what Southgate would have done with Roberto Carlos and Cafu.

Yeah somebody says something on twitter and people going mental.  People should just wait for the annoucement of the squad next week. Then the frothing at the mouth can comence  

I've posted my squad before. But this is what I want and I think maybe 1 or 2 players it is what it will be depending on injuries obvs. No idea on centre backs but ideally they wont be needed so not fussed. Like everyone forgets Phil Jones went to WC18 :D

Pickford, Henderson, Pope

Walker, Trent

Shaw, Chillwell

Maguire, Mings

Stones, centre back 1

Rice, Philips

Henderson, Bellingham

Mount, Grealish

Sancho, Sterling

Foden, Rashford

Kane, DCL

Then you got 3 extra which can be anyone. Leaning Trippier, Greenwood/Saka and centre back 2

In this scenario the biggest losers are JWP, Reece James and Lingard. But any of those could get in through the extra 3 spaces.

Edited by skybluedave

Well if it weren't for the obvious RBs England have, Trippier would be a shoe-in. Honestly whoever makes the cut is all about preference, and there will be complaints for whoever out of Walker/Trips/Trent/James is left out. 

2 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

What a man 👏

Will continue to be completely disrespected in here though

Who's disrespecting him? He's a decent fullback, IMO not overrated or underrated. I'm assuming it's because he started out at City.

13 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Who's disrespecting him? He's a decent fullback, IMO not overrated or underrated. I'm assuming it's because he started out at City.

Nothing to do with City, guy was our best player at the last major tournament, scores a goal in a World Cup semi final, has the balls to go abroad which hardly any English players do, but in here it's like he doesn't exist 

More the other thread tbf, before the extra players people weren't putting him in their squads, when even in qualifying for the Euros he was our most used right back