The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably been mentioned but I find it so funny that Southgate, whose tactics are reliant on the dead ball, failed to take JWP in the first place

It’s just all so boring, can’t wait for the beers with mates but a France smash this **** management

3 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Probably been mentioned but I find it so funny that Southgate, whose tactics are reliant on the dead ball, failed to take JWP in the first place

It’s just all so boring, can’t wait for the beers with mates but a France smash this **** management

Not if we get like 6 penalties they don't.

All that incredible talent and were probably going to get a Rice/Henderson 2 man midfield with massively out of form Sterling and Rashford up front. Said it before but it annoys me so much that Southgate is in charge of this squad, he hasnt got half of the managerial ability required to get the best out of it.

7 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Well we didn't quite get our wish for Southgate to test a Rice-Mount-Foden/Grealish midfield before the opener did we :D

Quite wasted in that Foden & Grealish play the same position

Southgate really should have tried different formations or something

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

All that incredible talent and were probably going to get a Rice/Henderson 2 man midfield with massively out of form Sterling and Rashford up front. Said it before but it annoys me so much that Southgate is in charge of this squad, he hasnt got half of the managerial ability required to get the best out of it.

Aye. Maguire not fit either so we're asking Stones to do a lot of the work

And we'll almost certainly go 3-4-3

14 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Still no closer to how we actually line up...

Everyone talking 343 for Croatia as if it's a given. Even ITV just then. But we didn't start it in either of these games. And Maguire clearly not gonna make it so you'd think he'd have started it at least once. 

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Everyone talking 343 for Croatia as if it's a given. Even ITV just then. But we didn't start it in either of these games. And Maguire clearly not gonna make it so you'd think he'd have started it at least once. 

You'd think he'd have done a lot of things he hasn't though. Not filled with confidence but we'll find out soon enough

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Given that we win just over 50% of the games we take the lead in, this feels terrible going so pragmatic

That 343 will no doubt quickly become a 523 with the opposition wide man forcing our two WBs into a flat back five, the two in the middle will then get outnumbered 3v2 and we'll be resorting to long balls into the channel. :( 

I think Rice is fine when he’s just sat in there to win the ball back and give it to the more creative players. The problem is, we keep starting him alongside the likes of Phillips and Henderson who are no more creative than he is.

14 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You'd think he'd have done a lot of things he hasn't though. Not filled with confidence but we'll find out soon enough

True. Mixing up formations for a major tournament seems mental. We aint Bielsa's Chile or something. 

And ITV assuming Mount in the 2 in a 343. Which I'm not sure we've seen with England. Maybe only for bits. 

Preparation has been a shambles. Southgate has contributed to that but he's mega hampered by CL final. It's almost like the group stage is going to be the warm ups, which is a recipe for disaster :D

4 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Preparation has been a shambles. Southgate has contributed to that but he's mega hampered by CL final. It's almost like the group stage is going to be the warm ups, which is a recipe for disaster :D

I’m prepared to admit this could be selective memory, but I certainly seem to remember a fair few teams who’ve gone very far in recent tournaments have started slowly and built momentum as they’ve gone. Where as a lot of teams who’ve set off like a freight train have petered out. Obviously I’m not saying starting slowly is something to aim for etc.

15 minutes ago, bigdunk said:

I’m prepared to admit this could be selective memory, but I certainly seem to remember a fair few teams who’ve gone very far in recent tournaments have started slowly and built momentum as they’ve gone. Where as a lot of teams who’ve set off like a freight train have petered out. Obviously I’m not saying starting slowly is something to aim for etc.

I'll bare this in mind for comfort when Croatia do us Sunday :D

28 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Does anyone wish to see Rice? He's such a boring player, I don't get the praise.

I've thought the same...seems a tidy player but he's never blew me socks off where I think world beater in that position.  Suppose he's young and will get better and he's obviously really good, but I don't see him as a complete starter for definite.  I imagine he's nailed on atm due to lack of other players in there maybe.

22 minutes ago, VamPook said:

If Henderson isn't deemed fit, Southgate surely reverts back to Rice Philips Mount

Bellingham if Henderson isn't fit and not a 343

And Henderson 100% not starting Croatia after today. Not the penalty thing but you can tell he's not quite ready for that level of game. Best hope is starting the last group game. 

Edited by skybluedave

Wasn't watching to see the chanting, but people booing Watkins and changing for Bamford are thick as ****. 

You can want a different player called up for whatever reason, but why boo someone playing for your team ffs. 

29 minutes ago, Rebs said:

I've thought the same...seems a tidy player but he's never blew me socks off where I think world beater in that position.  Suppose he's young and will get better and he's obviously really good, but I don't see him as a complete starter for definite.  I imagine he's nailed on atm due to lack of other players in there maybe.

Because he's a DM and does the dirty work. 

Recipe for disaster if we line up with a 3-4-3 against Croatia. As we’ll only have two games trying the 4-3-3 at best with some of our stronger players. Then come last 16, if we win group, it’s one of the heavyweights and back to the ‘safety’ of 3-4-3. 
Honestly don’t know what team we’d even play if 3-4-3. Does Trippier play RWB where he’s been great for Atletico? Or James as he’s been playing it for Chelsea. Same for left side, Chilwell who’s used to it, or Shaw who’s arguably the more in form player. The CBS? Walker, Stones and Mings? But then if 3, you surely start Coady. So Stones right side and Mings left side? But that’s dropping Walker. Not even got onto the CM pairing in that, and then the 3 up top. As it’s likely Mount could be one of the three if that formation. Just so many questions still.

Like other nations will maybe have decisions over a couple of positions, like Portugal for example it’s who starts in their front three. France, who leads the line etc. But one thing they have, they know the formation they’ll likely play. 

Edited by pearcey_90