The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

From wide on the wing? Clearly not. 

but he is capable of running in behind, was more my point. It may be a waste of his talents in that position, but if people think he can make a difference to the team more than Sancho/Rashford on the right, I don't see why he can't play there 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

but he is capable of running in behind, was more my point. It may be a waste of his talents in that position, but if people think he can make a difference to the team more than Sancho/Rashford on the right, I don't see why he can't play there 

I think it's pretty clear what the difference is though:

5 minutes ago, bigdunk said:

No, Grealish played the ball out to Kane and then he made a supporting run from deep.  We're talking about players making speculative runs in behind their backline, so we're always threatening to get in behind if they push out too much. Grealish normally wants to get on the ball deep and drive at their backline.

Thus I'd pick someone more effective at doing that, especially I know I can then unleash Grealish off the bench to change the game (or Foden/Mount too)

1 hour ago, brett.spurs said:

Don't see why a three of Rice, Mount and Foden couldn't work. They're industrious enough to get around, not like they're a couple of Ozils. Those three with Sancho/Sterling and Grealish either side of Kane. Not going to happen though obviously but it's not outrageously unbalanced.

I'd love to see us try something like that on Sunday. It's the kind of thing where you're never entirely sure if it works until you see it in practice.  I'd be worried about restricting both Mount and Foden because both are too worried about leaving gaps behind them that they both end up sitting a bit too much.  Either that or they both go forward too often and we end up with Rice on his own.  They're both intelligent players, so I suspect they could make it work, but we aren't really going to have the time to work on it. We may well be better off playing someone like Bellingham or Henderson alongside Rice just because it will free up the 3 guys in front of them to just go and play their natural games.

1 minute ago, bigdunk said:

I'd love to see us try something like that on Sunday. It's the kind of thing where you're never entirely sure if it works until you see it in practice.  I'd be worried about restricting both Mount and Foden because both are too worried about leaving gaps behind them that they both end up sitting a bit too much.  Either that or they both go forward too often and we end up with Rice on his own.  They're both intelligent players, so I suspect they could make it work, but we aren't really going to have the time to work on it. We may well be better off playing someone like Bellingham or Henderson alongside Rice just because it will free up the 3 guys in front of them to just go and play their natural games.

This is what I was saying to @EnterUsernameHere about having a full back who can tuck into the midfield (Walker particularly, but also Trippier). It's not dissimilar to City 17-18, where Walker obviously did it, and Tripper has done it as well in his career, so you don't end up with Rice on his own, but Mount and Foden can push up, with Grealish on the left (though i might be inclined to swap Foden and Grealish)

24 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I'd like to think somewhere on the internet a bunch of England fans are having pages and pages of debates about whether Shaw or Chillwell should start. That's the underrated discussion point this summer

That's the next debate.

6 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

'Jack I want you to use your pace and make runs in behind'

'sorry boss it isn't my play style innit'

sorry, do you think it's that easy? You can make a player do something that they don't find natural?

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to coach movement?

6 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Just drop Kane then if you are wanting him to drop off to make the passes.

Yes, drop the best forward England have to bring in Jack Grealish who apparently is the greatest footballer to have ever lived

8 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

sorry, do you think it's that easy? You can make a player do something that they don't find natural?

Yes, drop the best forward England have to bring in Jack Grealish who apparently is the greatest footballer to have ever lived

Yes? 

Editing to add in the SAFETY WINK 

Edited by arenaross

5 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Villa fans are just giddy because they've finally got a decent player imo, it's like when West Ham fans and a few others wanted Mark Noble in the team.

;)

Bolton and Kevin Nolan

3 minutes ago, Haguey said:

You guys saying White are just trying to trigger the Villa fans by excluding Konsa aren't you.

Konsa wasn't on the standby list, right? :D

Would definitely be better than Mings though.

32 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Isn't asking players to play something not natural kinda Southgates thing? 

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Get Luke Ayling in so he can cover CB as well as RB :thup: 

In seriousness it will probably be either White or JWP.

I saw Luke Ayling 2 days ago in a park in Harrogate.  He was with his missus and their kid and they were pushing their kid on the swings whilst I was pushing my boy on his.  I had an inkling that it was him but only checked afterwards to confirm by googling.  Bloody tall bloke.

11 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Should be JWP though. Henderson and Phillips are still slight injury doubts. If one of Bellingham/Rice are also injured, then there's no more Trent to cover in midfield. 

Coady returning to his natural position.:brock:

43 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Should be JWP though. Henderson and Phillips are still slight injury doubts. If one of Bellingham/Rice are also injured, then there's no more Trent to cover in midfield. 

Phillips should be fine for Sunday according to Southgate, so his fitness shouldn't be an issue. Don't disagree with the general point though, only one injury in midfield and it looks a bit light.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Not a surprise but Southgate has essentially confirmed Henderson misses the opener.

What would be the point taking him unless it's a view of missing because it will enable him to get to full fitness?

6 minutes ago, sc91 said:

What would be the point taking him unless it's a view of missing because it will enable him to get to full fitness?

I don't think he'd have made the 23, but can see why he's been brought along now it's 26 for the reason above. Wouldn't have done it while looking light in the position he plays though...

I

Quite annoying how TAA has basically not been injured for a long time in his Liverpool career to date, then after all the recent stuff get's his longest injury in his career :( 

Any of the main guys break down Sunday, just going to pack away the England hopes for another year :D