The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

6 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I also hate how the build up to a match between say France Vs Germany will be all about how England trained that day. That's a bit more understandable though I guess

Thats usually just the BBC using up time because of no adsĀ 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I wasn't talking about the papers, more so punditry. I can only talk about my personal opinion but I hate the ignorance of most British pundits who are all too happy to write off players/teams they haven't even watched.

I also hate how the build up to a match between say France Vs Germany will be all about how England trained that day. That's a bit more understandable though I guess.

Another part of it is the more you hear from fans/media talking up a team, the more you're going to get fans of other teams wanting them to fail. It's not specific to England, we're just exposed to it more on this forum.

Don't you think that happens in different countries too? They will focus on their country during the competition.

The difference is that they usual just cater for one country so it isn't seen as a problem. But we get people whining about it because most of the time Scotland, Northern Ireland and any of the other home nation countries (put this in for a certain poster...) haven't qualified. Of course the focus will be on England - it's like people forget that England has a much larger population so it's what the majority will be interested in. It's would be like me complaining because most of the coverage on the PL is about Man Utd or Liverpool. It's natural as that's what drives ratings.

And the tournaments last only a few weeks so they milk the coverage as much as they can.

Edited by Tony85

3 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

Don't you think that happens in different countries too? They will focus on their country during the competition.

The difference is that they usual just cater for one country so it isn't seen as a problem. But we get people whining about it because most of the time Scotland, Northern Ireland and any of the other home nation countries (put this in for a certain poster...) haven't qualified. Of course the focus will be on England - it's like people forget that England has a much larger population so it's what the majority will be interested in. It's would be like me complaining because most of the coverage on the PL is about Man Utd or Liverpool. It's natural as that's what drives ratings.

And the tournaments last only a few weeks so they milk the coverage as much as they can.

Yeah that's why I think that part is more understandable.

I don't think it excuses lazy, ignorant punditry though which is why I have an issue with it. They're paid to know about what they're talking about but most have a shocking knowledge of non-English based players.

33 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I wasn't talking about the papers, more so punditry. I can only talk about my personal opinion but I hate the ignorance of most British pundits who are all too happy to write off players/teams they haven't even watched.

I also hate how the build up to a match between say France Vs Germany will be all about how England trained that day. That's a bit more understandable though I guess.

Another part of it is the more you hear from fans/media talking up a team, the more you're going to get fans of other teams wanting them to fail. It's not specific to England, we're just exposed to it more on this forum.

Have you watched a tournament in a different country from that country's perspective?

None of this is unusual, firstly, no one is tuning in for doom and gloom and none of them have watched every player in the tournament, they're referring to research.

Not everyone is checking news all day, sitting down to watch football is potentially where they're getting their main England news, that is more important to TV viewers in England than in an in depth discussion about France's full backs and the TV networks are want such fans watching and giving them what they want

'Analysis' in football hasn't been any good for decades. I am not expecting tactical breakdowns from Alan Shearer, not to knock Shearer, I am sure he has a lot to say on these things but it's not going to be in a 7 minute segment. I generally skip build up these days, even for Prem/CL cause the format just isn't for any analysis. I don't think watching in Austria their coverage will be full of a breakdown of France/Germany either tbh but moreso focused on Austria

It's been like this since I was a kid but it doesn't stop every tournament the same 'ol whinging about the thing we aren't going to get and never have got when it comes to football coverage

A 30 minute, long form discussion on BBC3 or ITV3 would be good for those that wanted to watch that but it wouldn't be as high as you think and the networks know that

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Have you watched a tournament in a different country from that country's perspective?

None of this is unusual, firstly, no one is tuning in for doom and gloom and none of them have watched every player in the tournament, they're referring to research.

Not everyone is checking news all day, sitting down to watch football is potentially where they're getting their main England news, that is more important to TV viewers in England than in an in depth discussion about France's full backs and the TV networks are want such fans watching and giving them what they want

'Analysis' in football hasn't been any good for decades. I am not expecting tactical breakdowns from Alan Shearer, not to knock Shearer, I am sure he has a lot to say on these things but it's not going to be in a 7 minute segment. I generally skip build up these days, even for Prem/CL cause the format just isn't for any analysis. I don't think watching in Austria their coverage will be full of a breakdown of France/Germany either tbh but moreso focused on Austria

It's been like this since I was a kid but it doesn't stop every tournament the same 'ol whinging about the thing we aren't going to get and never have got when it comes to football coverage

A 30 minute, long form discussion on BBC3 or ITV3 would be good for those that wanted to watch that but it wouldn't be as high as you think and the networks know that

Ā 

I'm not saying networks should do it. I'm saying it's why it personally turns me against the English football team (along with the other reasons I listed and a few others I didn't). I'm sure other people who like seeing England fail have their own reasons too.

Disagree with you on punditry though. Just because they've been poor for ages doesn't make complaints about current pundits unwarranted. There are good pundits out there, they're just not used well enough.

Not sure why you seem to be getting annoyed about my personal reasons for disliking England though. I'm not English, why would I like them?

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

48 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

To be fair, if they didn't do this Gabby Logan would be out of work.Ā  Made a whole career out of hovering outside the camp trying to get a glimpse of them through the fence.

Not sure why you think I am getting annoyed

I don't care whether you like England or not but I have read your exact reasoning, almost word for word, since I first came to this site. It's almost searching for a reason to be annoyed with the English TV coverage/pundits, etc, it's beyond cliche

Even the 'good' pundits we have are really not going to express this amazing tactical knowledge in the time given to them on the shows. If there was some shoulder content that could afford pundits to go more in depth, that'd be great

I would follow my advice of not watching the build up, you don't miss anything and miss out on getting annoyed at that pesky punditry. I don't watch it, in any country, miss nothing

Ā 

Edited by Razzler

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

To be fair, if they didn't do this Gabby Logan would be out of work.Ā  Made a whole career out of hovering outside the camp trying to get a glimpse of them through the fence.

Every network in every country has one of these

They create their own news

"xyz not seen in training, are they injured??"

Come game day: "xyz IS playing, we can confirm - ~phew"

That was that stupid '2nd round group stage' nonsense that was a result of the expanded World Cup to 24 teams. The actual group stages were kind of meh

If we're using that 2nd round group stage group then may well use England's which also included West Germany and Spain and finished with 3-2-1 points in the standings

We exited that tournament without losing a game

Yeah, the first 24 team WC that year.Ā  Six groups of four and then 12 teams into another group phase for four groups of three.

Brazil, Italy and Argentina in one group... Spain, England, West Germany in another... then France's opponents at the same stage were Austria and Northern Ireland :D

Just love seeing them all so relaxed andĀ enjoying it. All mates together and joking around in the interview.Ā A million million miles away from the Sven/McClaren/Capello days where they trotted out the pre-prepared lines for the press and then years later you found half of them didnā€™t even talk to each other.

9 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

there was a game in a World Cup years ago, I think it was New Zealand V Slovakia and it was an afternoon kick off.Ā  Possibly 2010? can't remember

the pundits just sat there and talked about England for most of it because they had no idea about the two teams, I'm sure even I remember one of them saying they had a quick look at Wikipedia for 5 minutes as "research" :D now I'm not going to say I knew much about them as well but I wasn't getting paid for the privilege to analyse a football game and if I was, I'd have made sure I had done my research on the two teams

a more recent example is when Sky do MNF and Carragher/Neville are crying about Liverpool or Man Utd (depending on their results from the weekend) rather than concentrating on the actual game they are showing live

16 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

I know it was an exaggeration but that's not even remotely true. I don't know why she demeans herself with the England stuff each tournament.

CONFIRMED: Daniele Orsato is the ref for England v Croatia on Sunday.Ā  First international tournament game for him, although he did the 2020 Champions League Final.

At some point we are bound to come up against the random Argentinean ref who is over on a UEFA/CONMEBOL exchange programme.

Horrible feeling he will get England v Scotland and we will have him flashing cards about like Capital One when they go at it like a Premier League game.

Edited by Rob1981

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Why on earth is their account private

Their way to "verify" people, which means just accepting anyone and look good on the face of it.Ā 

59 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

CONFIRMED: Daniele Orsato is the ref for England v Croatia on Sunday.Ā  First international tournament game for him, although he did the 2020 Champions League Final.

At some point we are bound to some up against the random Argentinean ref who is over on a UEFA/CONMEBOL exchange programme.

Horrible feeling he will get England v Scotland and we will have him flashing cards about like Capital One when they go at it like a Premier League game.

Did you quote that from Talksport or Richard Keys' blog?

5 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

Kinda depressing that we had a song about ā€˜30 years of hurtā€™ and weā€™re now closer to 60.Ā 

The 30 years of hurt was always wrong anyway, it should have been 26 years of hurt, you don't win the World Cup and then the next day start hurtingĀ 

5 hours ago, The_jagster said:

I know it was an exaggeration but that's not even remotely true. I don't know why she demeans herself with the England stuff each tournament.

yeah was an odd thing to say, she's one of the best presenters around

45 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

The 30 years of hurt was always wrong anyway, it should have been 26 years of hurt, you don't win the World Cup and then the next day start hurtingĀ 

28 years. We only came 3rd in Euro 68.Ā 

Actually quite a forgotten tournament in England's history given its technically our best result at a tournament since 66.

9 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

28 years. We only came 3rd in Euro 68.Ā 

Actually quite a forgotten tournament in England's history given its technically our best result at a tournament since 66.

We were still World Cup holders in 68 :)Ā