The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, skybluedave said:

That moment when Dier stepped up and everybody was thinking 'what? is there nobody else' :D

That's all I want from England, just give me a nice moment. You don't have to win the bloody thing but just give me a nice memory.

My mum had turned it off as she couldn't bare to watch the penalties and said she could literally hear the town cheering.

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

When you read stuff like that, and you see the way he speaks, it's so easy to see why the players love him

When you go out there, in this shirt, you have the opportunity to produce moments that people will remember forever.  You are a part of an experience that lasts in the collective consciousness of our country.  You remember where you were watching England games.  And who you were watching with.  And who you were at the time.

Absolutely lost it at this bit.  Poetry.  I don't care where he plays Grealish, he can keep the job forever as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Rob1981

If I were to back a team for winning this tournament at the bookies, I'd go with England. I say that as a Scotland fan. It's a really impressive squad you guys have got. The manager is also a very down to earth guy who will keep the players grounded. Sancho, Rashford, Bellingham, Greenwood, Grealish, Foden, Mount etc make up an incredible group of players who are going to be around for a while. It's a bright future for the ENT. 

It's all about the confidence though, that's a huge hurdle to overcome when it's right down to the bare bones!

We took the lead against Croatia in the semi and as the game went on we reverted to back in our shell and defending our box and it cost us

Can we grab our bollocks and step up to France or Belgium when it really really matters and have 4 or 5 guys really play near their potential, that's likely what's required, to put in that 'top performance'

7 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

This is what scares me. It feels like this is the first time I've seen foreign/non-English fans tipping us. I don't like it at all :D

Maybe we're just piling the pressure on so you'll crumble :D

22 hours ago, Lucas said:

Bought an official England onesie on Amazon which arrived today, just to wear while watching the games this summer. :D 

This does sound about right to me. Can't imagine Gareth being bold enough to drop Sterling. 

Sorry to pick on you personally, but to me this highlights one of the more strange opinions people have about Southgate, as if he's never made a bold decision during his tenure.

Between ending Rooney's international career [plenty of history of countries hanging on  to grandees way past their best], dropping Walker and Alexander Arnold, handing debuts to several teenagers with little top-flight experience and using multiple different tactical styles, I'd say he's not been afraid to make a bold call if he feels he needs to. (Whether you agree with the decisions is another thing though!)

It almost seems as if some people just project the image of Sven or Capello onto whoever's actually managing without looking at the details of what he's done - contrary to a few in the thread I don't think he'll be reluctant at all to use Grealish and I'd be surprised if he doesn't start at least a couple of the group stage games. (Based on both club and international form, sticking with Sterling would arguably be the bolder call.)

The big question remains on whether Gareth will bring back the waistcoat or not.

Not sure wtf that thing is he’s been wearing under his suit jacket but it’s awful. Is it a shirt?  Is it a polo?  Who knows?

I would love another run to a semi final but damn, not happy about that first knockout game, if we win the group then Germany/Portugal/France

People may say Germany aren't what they are but when it comes to a big knockout game they'll always raise their game, there's far far far easier routes so how the **** did this happen! The 'winner of vs runner up of' is arguably as or more important than the group you have, as with extended entrants, the groups (aside from one) aren't massively 'challenging' (famous last words! Haha)

If we come 2nd we lose Wembley advantage. We could easily lose to France or Germany but Christ if we win our group and then with home advantage against one of them, bring it on. Last WC I wanted to beat Belgium and top the group despite it obviously not being favourable but I wanna face the big teams. Have to beat them if you want to win it, and if we did knockout a big boy (first time like ever), it would change the mentality around the side completely 

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Hazzaj said:

It almost seems as if some people just project the image of Sven or Capello

You can just as easily say Sven and Capello were pretty bold in some of their decision making. But they too had their favourites. 

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

Are England bookie fav where you're at as well?

Not sure how they are same odds as France here

Having had a quick look just now, we're 2nd favs with most of the bookies, 5/1.

France the favourites with most sites at 9/2.

Edited by craigcwwe

5 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Are England bookie fav where you're at as well?

Not sure how they are same odds as France here

Because they're playing at home for pretty much every game. And have a good team. It's a solid combination.

People writing off Hungary in that group, tbf the other three teams all being similarly strong means they could all take points off each other.

Could easily see Hungary nicking a 1-0 against Portugal/Germany and digging in for a draw somewhere.  Could go through in second with four points if the other results go for them.

England v Hungary in R16 would suit us.

Yeah, they got promoted to League A in the Nations League in the autumn though.  Beat Serbia and Turkey, drew with Russia.  Beat Iceland in the Euros playoffs.

They're not there just to make up the numbers.

5 hours ago, Darius1998 said:

Szoboszlai.

5 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Szoboszlai is out. 

Didn't know that. That's a blow. Had him down as the best player in the squad but I thought Baptista might've been talking about another player. 

Edited by craigcwwe

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

People writing off Hungary in that group, tbf the other three teams all being similarly strong means they could all take points off each other.

Could easily see Hungary nicking a 1-0 against Portugal/Germany and digging in for a draw somewhere.  Could go through in second with four points if the other results go for them.

England v Hungary in R16 would suit us.

We ended up in a group with Portugal and Germany not that long ago. Romania qualified from that "group of death" with as many points as us and Germany put together...

Edited by enigmatic

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

We ended up in a group with Portugal and Germany not that long ago. Romania qualified from that "group of death" with as many points as us and Germany put together...

Not that long ago? :D

Maguire got injured vs. Villa, right? So he's five weeks post injury. Unless it's really bad (in which case someone in the camp will have known and shouldn't have called him up), he should get back to fitness but it will be during the tournament. But it's going to be so difficult to make a return midway through a tournament, particularly if England are winning and looking good. If they're playing ****, or winning but looking like a bombscare in defence, might be easier because the pressure is off - not like it could get any worse in that scenario.