The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Spain away in the Nations League when Sterling had a blinder was the last exciting England performance I remember.

That was with Sterling and Rashford either side of Kane. Kane dropping off and them making the runs into the space behind. Hence why people want at least one of Sancho or Sterling etc starting next week.

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

That was with Sterling and Rashford either side of Kane. Kane dropping off and them making the runs into the space behind. Hence why people want at least one of Sancho or Sterling etc starting next week.

Even just reading that makes me understand how Southgate could get tempted into Sterling or Rashford. I wouldn’t defend him if he plays both but if he picks one, I can see why. There aren’t many in Europe like them...on form.

5 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Absolutely, quite frustrating that it's often taken for some slight against Grealish

4 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Even just reading that makes me understand how Southgate could get tempted into Sterling or Rashford. I wouldn’t defend him if he plays both but if he picks one, I can see why. There aren’t many in Europe like them...on form.

Is Sunday the last warm up? Have to think they play a significant part to try and get some sort of rhythm ahead of the Euros.

8 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

The more amazing stat is that we haven't lost to England since the 1970 World Cup. :eek:

That run is ending tonight. :lol:

Considering the two sides haven't faced each other for 21 years how many game were there from 1970-2000?

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Considering the two sides haven't faced each other for 21 years how many game were there from 1970-2000?

7 games. 4 draws and 3 wins for Romania IIRC. 

Edited by Marius_R

22 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Love the 2 World Wars, 10 German Bombers brigade in all the comments crying about politics being involved in football. 

The venn diagram of those people and the ones that boo James McClean for not wanting to wear a poppy is a perfect circle :D 

What can we expect from Romania tonight? The few reports I've read say they aren't blessed with much individual quality but how do they actually play? You'd hope that they're something like one of the teams we'll play in the tournament.

Warm up games are funny, especially given the late return of the City and Chelsea players into the squad. Wednesday I suppose had some sort of benefit (if you can call it that) in the fact that TAA's injury emerged then, rather than next Sunday. I'd rather have him fit and in the squad, but at least now we can call up a replacement. Fingers crossed that Henderson doesn't have some reaction this evening if he gets a few minutes.

I suppose all the real gelling and patterns of play are being worked on in the hours of training outside of these games, but I have a strong feeling that any chance we have in the tournament hinges on the efficiency of our attack, as the defence just isn't robust enough to rely on. The team on Wednesday was obviously miles from next Sunday's starting XI, but I would assume we'll see something heading towards that tournament  line-up tonight, otherwise it's all frankly a bit pointless, isn't it?

I don’t understand why the CL boys still aren’t playing. Understand them missing the first game, but not tonight. Normal international break you have PL matches on Sunday, then potential a qualifier on Thursday night. 4 days. This lot have had 8 days now.

Surely some of the non-English Chelsea and Man City players are already in friendlies this weekend?

Laporte played Friday but he didn't play in the CL final. Just on bench. Portugal haven't played Cancelo and Dias. Germany and France play tomorrow and Tuesday so will see with Werner, Kante, Rudiger etc

It's been 8 days. They've been with the squad since Thursday. Seems odd. Stick them on the bench at least. 

That's just a pointless lineup. It's not like you even have the first choice keeper getting used to Mings and potentially White. I don't get it.

Up front at least there's maybe 2 of 4 starters (though I wouldn't start Rashford) but not the key striker who everyone needs to play off/in.

Let's just hope that in training they're getting used to each other because tonight is another fairly meaningless exercise. 

FFS, I thought they were on the bench at least. Not even giving them 20 minutes at the end, then sticking lads in to start who aren’t even in the squad.

Madness.

should have scheduled the game for tomorrow night, give them another 24 hours and still six days before the first Euros game. Was pretty obvious in March/April that at least one English side had a good chance of making the CL final.

6 minutes ago, CMOZZA said:

Baffling line up. 

Is it possible he's giving the likes of Godfrey, White and JWP a last chance to impress before selecting a replacement for Trent?

I suspect yes, but that accounts for 2-3 selections not the entire team.

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I suspect yes, but that accounts for 2-3 selections not the entire team.

Gareth playing 4D chess. How are Croatia going to know how England going to play.... if they dont play together before the match on Sunday. Brilliance.

Edited by sc91

I'm finding the criticism a bit bizarre tbh. It's not like Southgate alone has decided to not play them. He'd clearly have had advice from the medical team and I presume they felt it wasn't worth the risk

I don't have a problem with the line up exactly. What's he meant to do with half his first team completly unavailable. Not like the bench is stacked with people who need to play. He's had a limited squad for these 2 games and is using them all which is fine. Give everyone game time and mitigate injury risk

The issue is whether we could have delayed this game or something in order to allow the CL players time. Not sure who's call this is though. The United players are back so I feel like it could have happened. 

At least it's not 343 though

Why has he not gone for the team that is likely to play against Croatia? :idiot:

We must be the only National Team resting the players from the Champions League Final. Understandable against Austria but not today.

Christensen is in the Denmark team today.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

I don’t understand why the CL boys still aren’t playing. Understand them missing the first game, but not tonight. Normal international break you have PL matches on Sunday, then potential a qualifier on Thursday night. 4 days. This lot have had 8 days now.

Surely some of the non-English Chelsea and Man City players are already in friendlies this weekend?

Jorginho started for Italy on Friday.

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

It's also much easier to manage the fitness of a Jorginho or a Christensen than it is to manage the fitness of multiple players.

Haha what? You're telling me they're incapable of individual fitness plans for multiple players to get them ready to play in a 5pm Sunday friendly? 

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

It's also much easier to manage the fitness of a Jorginho or a Christensen than it is to manage the fitness of multiple players.

What? No it isn't. Plus it has been 8 days, if anything the longer without the game the further we venture into diminishing returns for rest.