The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

11 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I don't think he'd have made the 23, but can see why he's been brought along now it's 26 for the reason above. Wouldn't have done it while looking light in the position he plays though...

I

You could have done it while stacking the midfield more (taking JWP for example)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

At this point on Sunday I'd be inclined to test a 4-3-3 with all 3 of Mount, Grealish, Foden playing, with Foden on the left; Walker playing as a tucked in full back on the right to bolster Rice, Sterling or Sancho wide right

I’ll be surprised if we see Grealish feature on Sunday (well for any long period). Still easing back from injury, and the amount of times he’s fouled I can see him being rested for first 75. 

3 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

I’ll be surprised if we see Grealish feature on Sunday (well for any long period). Still easing back from injury, and the amount of times he’s fouled I can see him being rested for first 75. 

We can probably get a good idea if the system itself is going to work without Grealish.  Start something like Mount, Rice and Foden in midfield, Sterling, Kane, Sancho up front and see what happens.

51 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Same with Maguire really, I think you can only take an injured player who could make it back if you have enough cover in his position.

For sure. Very much get the importance of Henderson and Maguire, but we also need to be prepared for the worst. With 26 men, there's absolutely no reason why you can't adequately cover that

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

At this point on Sunday I'd be inclined to test a 4-3-3 with all 3 of Mount, Grealish, Foden playing, with Foden on the left; Walker playing as a tucked in full back on the right to bolster Rice, Sterling or Sancho wide right

Alright, Pep ;)

3 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Plus, last game before the tournament... we will want to play our strongest team :brock:

13 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Big game tonight! ..well, as far as friendlies go Spain vs Portugal.

I'm so excited to see this game.. 

Let's go!

Tasty warmup game

Edited by Baptista_8

6 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Same with Maguire really, I think you can only take an injured player who could make it back if you have enough cover in his position.

Yep. If those two were definitely fit, the original four right backs might have been a more reasonable extravagance rather than leaving more important positions another injury away from having to reshape the team when not necessary.

I'd have probably taken Trent, but his injury might be a blessing if we end up with a better balanced squad, especially if he wasn't going to start anyway.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

They other lads must be in the squad by the time of the last warmup game surely? :D what’s the point otherwise?

England just tweeted they arrived today. So probably had a light session today, and possibly one tomorrow. Not really enough to then go straight into a game IMO. 

Henderson: Trippier, Coady, Mings, Shaw: Rice, Bellingham, Phillips (or someone like JWP if he’s still with us): Rashford, Kane, Sancho 

That could be team if none of the UCL boys start :D 

If Grealish does start I do wonder if Southgate will have been influenced by Kane's opinion in any way. In Kane's golf course interview with Neville, when asked about Grealish he waxes lyrical about him, saying how much he loves playing with him and how they see the game the same way.

A few other players (DCL, Saka, Trippier) have also said they're most impressed by Grealish, so it does make you think if it's like that in training with so many players praising him, how it would make it more difficult for Southgate to leave him out.

4 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

If Grealish does start I do wonder if Southgate will have been influenced by Kane's opinion in any way. In Kane's golf course interview with Neville, when asked about Grealish he waxes lyrical about him, saying how much he loves playing with him and how they see the game the same way.

A few other players (DCL, Saka, Trippier) have also said they're most impressed by Grealish, so it does make you think if it's like that in training with so many players praising him, how it would make it more difficult for Southgate to leave him out.

Shock at the squad being impressed by the most talented player in the squad....

5 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Christ. What are other players supposed to say if they are asked a direct question about him? :D 

“Nah, don’t fancy him mate. Should be playing Sancho instead!”

This is desperate stuff.

I mean, he's going to play the team he thinks he should play, not the team that's "most popular' in the squad, based opinions from leading questions from the press. That's clearly evident by the teams he puts out. This stuff around Grealish is almost becoming cult like. 

Was just making a point of how Southgate might have had his hand forced a little as it's obvious he wasn't his biggest fan to begin with, that was all. And Rob those other three weren't asked direct questions about him, but great point 🙄

37 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I mean, he's going to play the team he thinks he should play, not the team that's "most popular' in the squad, based opinions from leading questions from the press. That's clearly evident by the teams he puts out. This stuff around Grealish is almost becoming cult like. 

I’m not sure he will. Not that it’s a bad thing but from the outside looking in, I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of rotation.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere

5 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I’m not sure he will. Not that it’s a bad thing but from the outside looking in, I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of rotation.

There's always the caveat of rotation. But he's going to use the squad in the manner he thinks, not because it's popular

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I was talking about player influence, not fan influence. For all we know the players may enjoy playing the 343.

I will be surprised if he starts our first game with a 343 though.

The point is that it's fairly obvious he's not being influenced by anyone so far; be it players fans or media. Rightly or wrongly he's doing his own thing

Think Southgate has played the media well with Grealish. Keeping his feet on the ground.

”What a massive talent, eh Gareth?”

”Well he’s a great player that we’re keen to look at; but there’s a lot of other great players in contention!” etc.

I mean if you’ve got this weird axe to grind you can take this as “evidence” that Southgate doesn’t rate him highly enough. Or you can look at it and see that he’s one of a few options and he will play some games and not others. Perhaps Southgate might just be managing expectations so the media don’t hype the lad up to the kind of heights that have been so damaging before.

I mean, what the alternative?

“Yeah, he’s amazing Gabriel. Just wait until I stick him in the eleven and he starts smashing everyone with his tricks. He can take us all the way! Can’t believe he’s still only at Villa!!”

Then people are expecting him to win us games single-handedly.

I think it was Capello that compared Jack Wilshere to “Baresi, Maldini and Raul” before he had even made his debut. Look how well that went.

like @themadsheep2001 said, this cult around Grealish is bizarre. People piling in on Southgate when he has the temerity to point out that other players are good as well.

Edited by Rob1981

I don't even get why people (Villa fans) are so desperate to see him start. He'll at worst be a great option from the bench, which is fine? 

People place too much importance on who starts and where.

I don’t mind him starting. But like someone else said, somehow we are at a point where you are accused of “underrating” him if you don’t automatically have him as a first pick ahead of Foden, Mount, Sancho, Rashford, Sterling and others.

These are all guys who have more caps and who have played a boatload of European club games where Grealish hasn’t played any.

It's good coz Foden is sneaking under the radar. Normally we'd be heaping praise on him and expectations would be sky high especially after the season he's just had. But nobody is talking about him. 

I'm not too fussed who starts really except Foden. If he doesn't start I'd be fuming. 

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Not just that but with all the attacking talent we have, I can't remember many games where they've all clicked and we've looked scintillating. Let's hope it clicks over the next few weeks.

That's because we play a 3-4-3 when a 4-3-3 would get far more from them. And I don't understand the argument for it, because we're **** at sitting on a lead. Our win rate when taking the lead is like 50%. There's no point trying to sit on a lead, we can't do it