Help with Trequartista in MOC in 41212 or 4312 and guidelines for Sambenedettese

What are the requirements to make the trequartista shines in a formation that is supposed to make him shine naturally (41212 or 4312). I really don't know how to do because everytime I try this role, the player ends with a terrible performance.
For information, I started playing with Sambenedettese (expected to finish 7th in the 3rd Italian division) that is composed of a very good MOC, Ruben Botta. The other stars of the team are Ivan Rossi (very versatile midfielder) and Maxi Lopez (target man).
Sambenedettese is full of good and versatile central midfielders, slow lazy strikers but good at heading, decent central defenders but bad at heading and average full backs. I can't really identify the style that I should play.

Any help with the use of the Trequartista or on how to build my tactic would be very welcomed because I'm very lost.

PS: sorry for my english, I'm not native :)

Botta.PNG

rossi.PNG

lopez.PNG

How a player will play does not depend only on his role within your tactic, but on the tactical setup as a whole, including other roles and duties. Therefore, please post a screenshot of your tactic so that we could see if it has any flaws and then offer some advice accordingly :thup:

Btw, if your trequartista is Ruben Botta, keep in mind that his Decisions attribute is too low (8) for that role.

Thank you for your answer.

I didn't post a tactic yet because I barely started the season and I'm not certain of the style I should focus on. I think the players in this team just don't suit any specific style. And in general I just don't understand how to use the trequartista role in the numer 10 position in a narrow formation.

Do you think his Decisions attribute is too low for that role even in the 3rd Italian division? Also, is this attribute more importante for that role than for any other AMC role, such as Advanced Playmaker for example?

Here is the tactic I used for the 1st game of the season.

tactic.PNG

Edited by LSThomat

I played a system like this a few saves back with Lazio. Obviously their skill set is much higher but I found that my Treq (Alberto) really started to shine when I changed my fullbacks to CWB support, I also used a MEZ attack behind him. When ever I use a Treq I'm always trying to stretch the pitch to make space for him to operate and have somebody running past him to offer passing options. 

Also, others may disagree on this but I wouldn't like another creative type player (DLF) trying to play in the same space as my Treq. I think the DLP is okay as they will build from deep but when that ball hits the final third you want your Treq to be the magnet, which is why I like to stretch the play so that he has the space to take up dangerous positions. 

Personally I would first look at getting people running past your Treq to open up space and see how that changes his performances. 

In relation to his attributes you would have to compare how DM's in the devision stand up as that is the position that is most likely to thwart him. If you think his creative attributes outway their positioning/anticipation/marking etc then he'll probably be fine. Technically I prefer Botta as your Treq but I don't like his low workrate, I'm also not keen with 'Plays with back to goal' on Lopez so I'd be tempted to try Rossi.

Like I say this is just the way I would look at. 

Thanks wokkie123 for giving your input. I think I agree with you when you say it's better to make space for him to operate and have somebody running past him to offer passing options. But I wonder if it's not a good idea to give him support with players who won't place themselves in spaces but instead hold their positions. If I say that is because it's seems to me the Trequartista is the opposite role of Enganche in the way the Engance hold is position and the Trequartista moved around. Am I mistaken?

For the CWB I could try for one on one side because my fullbacks are quite limited. But what about Wing back attack or support? Did you try?

I'm not fan also of using a DLP with a Trequartista. I did it because it's the best role for Rossi apparently and I'm trying to take the best out of him and Botta together.

I thought the workrate wasn't super important for a Treq? But maybe with a low workrate, the Treq would make less effort to place himself in spaces and would move less?

3 hours ago, LSThomat said:

tactic.PNG

In terms of roles and duties, your setup looks pretty decent. The only change/tweak I would suggest is changing the LB's role from FB on attack into WB on support (especially as it seems that you want to play possession-based football). 

Where I see potential problems is your team instructions - because you are using a needlessly high number of them + some of them run counter to the tactical style. Specifically, the Regroup TI makes no sense in such an aggressive and possession-minded tactic. 

Your defensive (out-of-possession) Tis are extremely aggressive and hence too risky + some of them do not go hand in hand. For example, tight marking makes no sense in your tactic (both in terms of the playing style and the type of formation).

Forcing opposition outside (a.k.a. narrow defensive width) is not advisable either. Because your formation is already narrow by itself, therefore narrow defending is likely to put too much of a burden on your fullbacks. 

4 hours ago, LSThomat said:

Do you think his Decisions attribute is too low for that role even in the 3rd Italian division?

I don't know if it is too low for the 3rd Italian division, but it definitely is too low compared to Botta's other relevant attributes. 

Also, is this attribute more importante for that role than for any other AMC role, such as Advanced Playmaker for example?

Decisions is a very important attribute for any playmaker role (AP, TQ, DLP, REG, WP, ENG, RPM). 

I had better results during the friendly games with my fullbacks on FB-attack but maybe I should have at least one on WB-support.

With this tactic I was trying to reproduce a very strong and narrow pressing starting when one of the opposition fullbacks received the ball. That's why I didn't want to press too high, narrow, aggressively but with regroup so we apply an organized pressing. Also, my midfielders are good at marking and tackling so I wanted to use that. But I have to admit it doesn't really work as I intended to.

Could you explain why tight marking makes no sense? I'm not sure I understand why.

What is the best role/position according to you for Botta then? In general, how a player with very good attributes but with low decision should be used?

What is the best role/position according to you for Botta then?

There is no such thing as "best role" in FM (as well as real-life football). Because any player can successfully play more than one role, so the "best" one is the one that optimally fits into the tactical system as a whole (i.e interacts well with others within the setup). In that regard, the TQ role in AMC makes sense in your tactic, so there is nothing wrong with playing Botta in that position and role (despite his low decisions rating). His poor decision-making does not mean that he cannot play as a TQ, especially as he has all other relevant attributes for the role. It only means that you cannot expect him to play as a world-class TQ, because the poor decisions will sometimes cause him to make stupid mistakes that a more intelligent player would avoid. 

In case you don't want him as a TQ, the most logical alternative IMHO would be AM on attack duty.

On 22/05/2021 at 11:03, LSThomat said:

What is the best role/position according to you for Botta then? In general, how a player with very good attributes but with low decision should be used?

Probably sounds odd, but I would only consider using him as a creative striker in this formation, he is way to slow for the AMC role and don't have the defensive ability to play deeper in midfield 

Thanks Experienced Defender for your massive help. I'll keep your long post in my favourites in case I forget because it really makes sense and it has been very useful I think.

Since I applied your advice, I noticed a massive improvement, both in attack and in defence as you can imagine.

Falahk thanks also for your advice. But I don't understand why you say he's way to slow for a AMC? In my opinion, a number 10 doesn't need to be fast if his technical and mental attributes are good.

1 hour ago, LSThomat said:

Falahk thanks also for your advice. But I don't understand why you say he's way to slow for a AMC? In my opinion, a number 10 doesn't need to be fast if his technical and mental attributes are good.

One of the main changes that started to take place between 10-15 years ago irl, was the type of player being used in the trequartista role, nowdays it's extremely rare to see a pure playmaker, now it's ether a hardworking guy who is reasonably fast (attributes to look at: pace, acceleration, stamina, workrate, teamwork, strength) or someone who would have played as a winger for an English team (attributes to look at: pace, acceleration, stamina, flair, dribbling, tecnique, of the ball)

Some playtesting on older fm's have also shown this is the way to go 

I just realized my question was totally naive. But it's because I refuse to admit that the pure number 10 role disappeared :D (meaning a slow but very technical player)

Edited by LSThomat

I made a quick spin-off of the Sambenedettese tactic based on the advice here. I might still change the AF to a poacher because Clarke isn't a very pacey player, and the CAR for an even more defensive role to cover for the CWB. Other than that, Whalley as an AMC is a bit worrying as he's unfamiliar with the position (and even more with the Treq role), but he does have the necessary attributes to play there. Here it is: unknown.png

• 1 year later...
On 21/05/2021 at 16:37, wokkie123 said:

I played a system like this a few saves back with Lazio. Obviously their skill set is much higher but I found that my Treq (Alberto) really started to shine when I changed my fullbacks to CWB support, I also used a MEZ attack behind him. When ever I use a Treq I'm always trying to stretch the pitch to make space for him to operate and have somebody running past him to offer passing options. 

Also, others may disagree on this but I wouldn't like another creative type player (DLF) trying to play in the same space as my Treq. I think the DLP is okay as they will build from deep but when that ball hits the final third you want your Treq to be the magnet, which is why I like to stretch the play so that he has the space to take up dangerous positions. 

Personally I would first look at getting people running past your Treq to open up space and see how that changes his performances. 

In relation to his attributes you would have to compare how DM's in the devision stand up as that is the position that is most likely to thwart him. If you think his creative attributes outway their positioning/anticipation/marking etc then he'll probably be fine. Technically I prefer Botta as your Treq but I don't like his low workrate, I'm also not keen with 'Plays with back to goal' on Lopez so I'd be tempted to try Rossi.

Like I say this is just the way I would look at. 

Is it better wide playing, and focus through middle for Trequartista? Because of space for him! And his dribling and flair

On 13/07/2022 at 07:50, th1950 said:

Is it better wide playing, and focus through middle for Trequartista? Because of space for him! And his dribling and flair

There is this https://rocksendfm.com/2021/05/31/the-italian-roles-the-trequartista/ where there is a test for the trequartista in am and st  positions which should give you and idea for what you could expect and you could ask the FM22 AMC thread for more ideas about the trequartista.