The Scotland Thread

We just have to take the experience for what it was: a learning curve. I always knew in the back of my mind that this game would play out exactly as it has. I never really believed we could do it. There's just something inevitable about Scotland letting you down. But we have some decent players coming into the team and we shouldn't be waiting two decades for another chance. 

Best of luck to Croatia in the rest of the tournament. They belong in the last 16. We, evidently, do not. 

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I humbly ask Scots to not be mad at us, and at least act as neutrals, if we play further games on Hampden. This was tough, and I did not expect us to win. If you had a better striker than Adams, this game could've gone differently.

1 minute ago, Bunkerossian said:

I humbly ask Scots to not be mad at us, and at least act as neutrals, if we play further games on Hampden. This was tough, and I did not expect us to win. If you had a better striker than Adams, this game could've gone differently.

Congratulations. No hard feelings here. Your team deserved the win. Best of luck in the rest of the tournament. 

We’ve no made it out of a group stage before and if you’d have said before it if we’d be able to go into the last game with our fate in our hands I’d have taken it.

I genuinely think we have a strong squad and if we could just unearth someone who could put the ball in the net we’d be threat and could make it out the group. I’m a Rangers fan but I’m so disappointed Griffiths wasn’t involved more this year as I think him up top for Scotland and we’d be in with a chance.

Really hoped you guys would go through, had it on the second screen so only glanced over here and there but it seemed like Croatia stepped it up like the team of a couple of years back.  Hope you'll be back for the next tournament and you definitely have some good players in that team.  Friday showed it and you will keep on getting better and better no doubt.  Not a bad tournament overall from you really if you look at the performances as a whole.

So tough for Scotland tonight. In all 3 games we've not really been second best other than the scoreline (aside from England). In every game we've created the chances to score goals and just haven't found that final touch. McGinn, Adams, Dykes, have all had chances to grab goals, nothing has come from it. 

There are positives to take from this tournament and build on, let's hope Clarke and the boys do that. 

Disappointing in the end but ultimately nowhere near good enough.  Clarke was poor with his selection and decisions over the three games but it is hard to be too critical.  It was his first taste of tournament football as well as the players.  

We could still do with more threat in front of goal though.  We aren't going to achieve much if we aren't scoring any goals.  There is definite reason for hope with some really good players coming through  :)

20 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I humbly ask Scots to not be mad at us, and at least act as neutrals, if we play further games on Hampden. This was tough, and I did not expect us to win. If you had a better striker than Dykes, this game could've gone differently.

fixed that for you, although Adams didn't do a lot either it has to be said

it's what I said was going to happen at the start of the tournament, hoofing it to Dykes for 90 minutes and it's just disappointing to be right

2 minutes ago, TM said:

fixed that for you, although Adams didn't do a lot either it has to be said

it's what I said was going to happen at the start of the tournament, hoofing it to Dykes for 90 minutes and it's just disappointing to be right

I honestly expected our CB-s to f- up against him. Lovren didn't. He usually has regular howlers.

All of your players looked like they're giving their best every single moment, it's just that you lack quality. Game against Czech was your chance, but Schick scored a goal that happens once in a lifetime.

Could've maybe even won tonight if McGinn scored for 2-1.

One thing that I'd be frustrated about is how Perišić managed to get an assist and a goal by having mismatches in the air.
He's ridiculous in the air and you had Tierney marking him on that corner, just poor tactical preparation, nothing else.

Shame that you couldn't enjoy the tournament because of covid restrictions and such low attendance.

8 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

You lot still raging aboot Thursday? 

No, not at all we’ve got the inevitable defeat on Tuesday to “rage” about 

16 hours ago, forameuss said:

Just had a wonderful day in the sunshine doing all kinds of fun stuff with the wee one given I'm off and his grandparents are away, with him resplendent in his full Scotland kit.  If these bastards ruin this day, I'm holding them all personally responsible.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1557970225876.gif

A few rumours flying around about the future of Steve Clarke.  I would say the job is his for as long as he wants it but his lack of flexibility during this tournament was frustrating at times.  However, like I said above it was his first major tournament as well.  I think some of the criticism directed at him has been pretty harsh, especially when it is coming from someone like Michael Stewart!  :D

I think there is a nucleus of a good team, I just don't think the right manager is in charge

my opinion, I'm sure others will think differently.  Did get a bad break without Gilmour but should have changed the tactics last night when Croatia were getting on top

Well, the day after.

@bestbrother - McBB, first things first - you're sacked as unofficial mascot.

Secondly, the next lesson in being Scottish is that this is it - prepare yourself for live, die, repeat, ad cladem, ad nauseam, ad eternam.

Thirdly, as proud Scots we don't entertain any fanciful, incredulous or other outrageous notions that the Euros extend beyond the group stages.

Cant complain, i had a good run and will take away the draw with England as a highlight of my time as mascot :thup:

Ive already lost interest in the Euros, let the diddy nations play for bragging rights by winning a 2nd rate piece of tin.

Qatar 2022 is where its at :D

26 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Cant complain, i had a good run and will take away the draw with England as a highlight of my time as mascot :thup:

Ive already lost interest in the Euros, let the diddy nations play for bragging rights by winning a 2nd rate piece of tin.

Qatar 2022 is where its at :D

Perfect!

Cut you, you bleed tartan.

Edited by Sons FC

Disappointing for us but at the end of the day we made it to a major tournament and its been such a long time. We didn't embarrass ourselves and on other nights we could have won all 3 games. Which shows we belong at this level.

A young team that can only get better.

I’d like to say thanks to the Spanish keeper for making an arse of that to take the heat of big Marsh for the second Czech goal in our game.

• 2 weeks later...