The Scotland Thread

Sned

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

OK, so to top the Swiss, a 2 goal win gives us a 0GD.

Not ideal, but not a silly outcome.

A big ask for a team who have yet to score, but if we score once, Croatia have to throw everything at us, and that can lead to another one on the counter. 

We're going home. 

The Croats will be going into the game thinking a 1 goal win will put them above the Swiss. They will probably go into the game thinking to beat us on the counter knowing we need 2 goals. 

My biggest fear is how much the England game will have taken out of some of the players.

41 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

A big ask for a team who have yet to score, but if we score once, Croatia have to throw everything at us, and that can lead to another one on the counter. 

We're going home. 

Thats just one 3rd place though, B & C will be in the books by Tuesday, so thats half the groups inked.

Everyone needs to calm down (for another 24 hours).  One group means nothing when 4 of the 6 will go through.  Not to mention that reaching for the bottle because of Switzerland's position is going to look pretty silly if we can't get our own job done.  A win for us will most likely be enough, and we could have that confirmed tonight.  Not much point worrying about it.

Edited by forameuss

8 hours ago, forameuss said:

Everyone needs to calm down (for another 24 hours).  One group means nothing when 4 of the 6 will go through.  Not to mention that reaching for the bottle because of Switzerland's position is going to look pretty silly if we can't get our own job done.  A win for us will most likely be enough, and we could have that confirmed tonight.  Not much point worrying about it.

Telt yeez all. That's Ukraine below the winner from Croatia vs Scotland, just need one more group to fall that way (which could happen tonight) and it'll be all good.

No points for Finland and Russia please.

Or, as pointed out above, no points for Finland OR Russia.

Edited by forameuss

No matter what happens, you'd expect this to be an exciting game.  Brutal to watch for us as fans, probably, but both teams need to win.  A draw does no favours.  Should be two teams going at each other.

I expected the England game would end up 3-1 to them, so I'll happily grandstand about a draw in the hopes I'm wrong again.

I'm absolutely buzzing for tonight, we just need to put away our chances this time. 

For me, Gilmour being out is no loss; Nice on the eye but didn't really affect our last game whereas I know our subs have the potential to make a difference in the final 3rd, such as Armstrong and Turnbull. 

We have some genuine great players, I hope it shows tonight. 

Well gentlemen.  Today is the day.

Personally, I think Gilmour is a big loss.  He is calm in possession and just keeps us ticking.  We didn't have that against the Czechs.  However, maybe we don't need that tonight and we just get at them and in their faces.

If we are looking for a like for like replacement for Gilmour I think the nearest we have is probably John Fleck but I would be surprised if Clarke went down that route.  I imagine McTominay will come back into midfield with Cooper or Hendry coming in at the back.  Is McGregor capable of being a sitting midfielder though? We definitely need McGinn supporting Dykes and Adams as much as possible.

As kopsy said, we have some good impact players to come off the bench if needed.  I'm still going 1-0 with a bizarre goal and in my dream the ball flew in off John McGinn's oversized posterior!

World Cup
1974 - Scotland score twice against Zaire, Yugoslavia score 9, didn't lose a game even in a group with Brazil but out on goals difference
1978 - on the march with Ally's army, draw with Iran, lose to Peru and then wake up in the last game V the Dutch, only to go out on goals difference
1982 - goal difference again, pumped by Brazil, pumped New Zealand and drew with Soviet Union
1986 - beaten by Denmark and West Germany, kicked by Uruguay.  We'll skip that one
1990 - embarrassed by Costa Rica, beat Sweden, lost in the last 10 minutes to Brazil.  Would have qualified if we could have held on to the draw
1994 - on holiday
1998 - same as tonight, winner takes all after another brave performance V Brazil, a draw wtih Norway and then put out on our arses by Morocco

Euros
1992 - Lost to the Dutch and Germans, beat CIS in a dead rubber match, weren't going to qualify after game 2
1996 - drew with the Dutch, lost to the English and for 15 minutes in game 3, going through to the next round until Kluivert scored and we missed a boatload of chances

surely at one time, we have to get to the knockouts :D and I know some won't appreciate that post, just a bit of history going back a while ;)

As Jorg rightly says - today is the day.

Are we up for it - undoubtedly

Are we capable of doing it - undoubtedly

Can we score - getting a bit wobbly

Will we do it - a bit more shoogly

Will we support them all the way regardless - just look at TM's post over the years - Scotland till we die!

I've always tried to manage my expectations for this tournament. I thought we'd have gotten at least a point against the Czech Republic, but we came up against an inspired Patrick Schick. I had no real hope of emerging from Wembley with a point, but we showed that we can cope with having the massive underdogs tag quite well. Tonight is a strange one, because the pressure should really be on Croatia: they are the World Cup finalists coming up against a side that sneaked into the competition on penalties via the new format, and have never went beyond the group stage before. At the same time, there's pressure on us playing in Glasgow and having history beckoning. Our record against Croatia is also favourable, so there's definitely going to be a weight on the shoulders of our players tonight. Can they be the first to carry that weight victoriously? 

2 hours ago, TM said:

World Cup
1974 - Scotland score twice against Zaire, Yugoslavia score 9, didn't lose a game even in a group with Brazil but out on goals difference
1978 - on the march with Ally's army, draw with Iran, lose to Peru and then wake up in the last game V the Dutch, only to go out on goals difference
1982 - goal difference again, pumped by Brazil, pumped New Zealand and drew with Soviet Union
1986 - beaten by Denmark and West Germany, kicked by Uruguay.  We'll skip that one
1990 - embarrassed by Costa Rica, beat Sweden, lost in the last 10 minutes to Brazil.  Would have qualified if we could have held on to the draw
1994 - on holiday
1998 - same as tonight, winner takes all after another brave performance V Brazil, a draw wtih Norway and then put out on our arses by Morocco

Euros
1992 - Lost to the Dutch and Germans, beat CIS in a dead rubber match, weren't going to qualify after game 2
1996 - drew with the Dutch, lost to the English and for 15 minutes in game 3, going through to the next round until Kluivert scored and we missed a boatload of chances

surely at one time, we have to get to the knockouts :D and I know some won't appreciate that post, just a bit of history going back a while ;)

For a bit more of interesting history, one of the reasons we weren't in a World Cup sooner than '74 was down to Scotland boycotting FIFA over lack of welfare payments to players. :eek: You'd never hear of stances like that being taken in the "modern" era.

The next big reason after that was thanks to what would become traditional SFA bizarreness, after FIFA stated the winner and runner-up of the home nations tournament would qualify for the World Cup. SFA said Scotland would only go if they won it, they were runner-ups. The SFA were true to their word and never entered. (Pretty much everyone else begged and protested that we should go, SFA never budged.)

Edited by Obi-Wan Kenobi

3 hours ago, TM said:

Until Seaman deliverately allowed Kluivert kick ball between their legs

I've been so busy the last few weeks that I've missed both games due to work.

Managed to get today off so I am finally in the Euros spirit - hopefully just in time to see us do something amazing :cool:

MON!!

Just had a wonderful day in the sunshine doing all kinds of fun stuff with the wee one given I'm off and his grandparents are away, with him resplendent in his full Scotland kit.  If these bastards ruin this day, I'm holding them all personally responsible.

I can't help but feel we're going to get a goalless draw, or lose it late on from pushing too hard.  I've been wrong before, so hopefully I am again.  I feel like surely we must take one of these chances sometime, but......arg.

The COVID years of football has seen so many ducks/runs broken...

Liverpool win the league 

Leicester win the FA Cup

Inter win Serie A

Sporting win the Portuguese League

Leeds back in the Premier League

Im sure there are plenty more, but its the 'era' of going against the grain... Scotland are 1 win away from doing it. 1 win, sounds simple... is it?

Believe :D

Ive yet to live through the misery, i dont intend to start now!

I’m dying here, just ruined with anticipation and fear. Love it and this is football :cool:

Away with the wife for a few days so not with the lads but at 52 I really should be a little more chilled. Naw :kriss:

57 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

The COVID years of football has seen so many ducks/runs broken...

Liverpool win the league 

Leicester win the FA Cup

Inter win Serie A

Sporting win the Portuguese League

Leeds back in the Premier League

Im sure there are plenty more, but its the 'era' of going against the grain... Scotland are 1 win away from doing it. 1 win, sounds simple... is it?

Believe :D

Ive yet to live through the misery, i dont intend to start now!

McBB - our good luck mascot - to see us through.