Jump to content

The Scotland Thread


Recommended Posts

Squad announcement coming up now on SSN.

MON :mad: 

International Friendlies:

Netherlands v Scotland
Wednesday, 2 June 2021, kick-off 7.45pm (UK time)
Estádio Algarve, Portugal

Luxembourg v Scotland
Sunday, 6 June 2021, kick-off 5pm (UK time)
Luxembourg

EURO 2020 Fixtures:

Scotland v Czech Republic
Monday, 14 June, kick-off 2pm
Hampden Park, Glasgow

England v Scotland
Friday, 18 June, kick-off 8pm
Wembley Stadium, London

Croatia v Scotland
Tuesday, 22 June, kick-off 8pm
Hampden Park, Glasgow

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland EURO 2020 Squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian)
David Marshall (Derby County)
Jon McLaughlin (Rangers)

Defenders

Nathan Patterson (Rangers)
Stephen O’Donnell (Motherwell)
Andy Robertson (Liverpool)
Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
Greg Taylor (Celtic)
Liam Cooper (Leeds United)
Grant Hanley (Norwich City
Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
Jack Hendry (KV Oostende) *

Midfielders

Billy Gilmour (Chelsea)
Callum McGregor (Celtic)
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
John McGinn (Aston Villa)
John Fleck (Sheffield United)
David Turnbull (Celtic)

Forwards

James Forrest (Celtic)
Ryan Christie (Celtic)
Ryan Fraser (Newcastle United)
Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers)
Ché Adams (Southampton)
Kevin Nisbet (Hibernian)

*On loan from Celtic

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • SI Staff

Good to see that the 3 'extra' places seem to have been used for Patterson, Gilmour and Turnbull.

I can see Gilmour impressing enough to be a starter by the England game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Robokid87 said:

Billy Boy :cool: Seems a shame that Ryan Gauld isn't there though.

Not playing at a high enough level to get noticed. Can't be slumming it in the Portuguese top flight, you have to be at a proper club like Aberdeen or Livingston.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really wish Alan McGregor would come out of international retirement for this. He's been excellent for Rangers this season, and could easily win us points. 

The midfield options are good. Still not happy with our centre-backs, and I think we might struggle for goals. But this is a complete unknown for us. There's no reason we can't get something from the Hampden games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit conflicted on leaving Griffiths out. You always have that little bit of hope that he'd come up with something.

But also he's been a waste of space this season and Nisbet definitely merits his inclusion. I'm always pleased to see Scottish based players outside of the Big 2 given opportunities and rewarded for good form.

On another note, credit to Jack Hendry. The guy was pretty much laughed out of Celtic Park and not given a hope - but he took on a brave loan move and fought his way into contention. Pleased for him.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • SI Staff
36 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Really wish Alan McGregor would come out of international retirement for this. He's been excellent for Rangers this season, and could easily win us points. 

As much as I love McGregor, that would be massively unfair on the players who secured qualification. Not a fan of retired players becoming interested/getting picked again because of a major tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Scotland \o/ Can I just say, genuinely and sincerely, how brilliant it is to see you back at a major tournament. It has been far far too long.

Just want that on record before the other threads fill up with tiresome jokes about Gazza leaving Colin Hendry on his arse, or Jim Leighton tipping the ball into his own net against Morocco.

Is Liam Cooper likely to start? 

Edited by Rob1981
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ter said:

As much as I love McGregor, that would be massively unfair on the players who secured qualification. Not a fan of retired players becoming interested/getting picked again because of a major tournament.

That's true. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ter said:

As much as I love McGregor, that would be massively unfair on the players who secured qualification. Not a fan of retired players becoming interested/getting picked again because of a major tournament.

would expect that would be his response to it, Marshall and others got Scotland to the tournament so it wouldn't be right for him to take the place of somebody

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Heartwork said:

Not playing at a high enough level to get noticed. Can't be slumming it in the Portuguese top flight, you have to be at a proper club like Aberdeen or Livingston.

Or KV Oostende.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that squad.  I think it's the best we can do with what we have got, great to see the young lads in there as well.  Not long to go now!  :cool:

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Is Che Adams any good? I don't watch a lot of English football. Can't remember seeing his name on a team sheet before he made his Scotland debut. 

had a decent enough season for Southampton and at least it's an attacking option that isn't hoofing or throwing the ball at Dykes' head for 90 minutes

would just remind me of the Duncan Ferguson era where we'd do that and he'd normally cause about 50 fouls a game because of it.  Only a short era though, don't think he played too much for Scotland

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TM said:

had a decent enough season for Southampton and at least it's an attacking option that isn't hoofing or throwing the ball at Dykes' head for 90 minutes

would just remind me of the Duncan Ferguson era where we'd do that and he'd normally cause about 50 fouls a game because of it.  Only a short era though, don't think he played too much for Scotland

It's a shame we don't have any great strikers. You look at the effect someone like Lewandowski has on Poland, and realise that it gives the rest of the team confidence knowing there's goals in the team. I fear we will really struggle to score at the tournament. On paper we have a real chance of matching the Czechs and giving Croatia a game, but we could fluff our lines. We played so well in Serbia to make it to the Euros, but despite playing good we couldn't kill off the match and they equalised in the last minute. We could really do with having Kenny Miller and James McFadden back. Both always came up with big goals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

“But when you look at the area of the squad that Ryan is trying to get into it is difficult to fit into that squad. He is an attacking midfield player – John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull has had a good season. It was always going to be a difficult choice and unfortunately for Ryan he has missed out.”

Clarke on why he thinks Gauld is only the 4th best attacking midfielder this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be trying to play it off to everyone as 'Ah, great to qualify, really hoping we can do ourselves proud with a decent performance against England' in the days leading up to the game, but inside I'm already 100%:
giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Snedhead said:

Will be trying to play it off to everyone as 'Ah, great to qualify, really hoping we can do ourselves proud with a decent performance against England' in the days leading up to the game, but inside I'm already 100%:
giphy.gif

But actually beat them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see SG and friends give a good go of pissing on absolutely everyone's chips in the run-up to the tournament.  Stories starting to come out that there's potential for the games to become closed doors again.  I expect it's just the usual cautious talk with not much basis (and be interesting to see how raging UEFA would get) but still.

Also looks like both the Czechs and Croatia have decided to sack off their original plans of basing themselves in Scotland and are staying at home.  The Czechs blamed SG's Covid rules (seemingly that if there's one positive test, the whole squad isolates, which seems a lot different to football this season) which seemed like sour grapes in the continuing battle between (elements of) the country and all things Scotland, but now Croatia are saying the same thing.

On 21/05/2021 at 17:05, Hairycull said:

On another note.

Any idea if there will be a new top released for the Euros?

 

There was talk a wee while back that no, there won't be, but if you fancy our current top with a Euros badge on it, you can head down to your local JD Sports and part with, I believe, £132 for the full-kit.  £57 for a kids top.  In the words of Mark McGhee, they can get tae f...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Good to see SG and friends give a good go of pissing on absolutely everyone's chips in the run-up to the tournament.  Stories starting to come out that there's potential for the games to become closed doors again.  I expect it's just the usual cautious talk with not much basis (and be interesting to see how raging UEFA would get) but still.

Also looks like both the Czechs and Croatia have decided to sack off their original plans of basing themselves in Scotland and are staying at home.  The Czechs blamed SG's Covid rules (seemingly that if there's one positive test, the whole squad isolates, which seems a lot different to football this season) which seemed like sour grapes in the continuing battle between (elements of) the country and all things Scotland, but now Croatia are saying the same thing.

 

There was talk a wee while back that no, there won't be, but if you fancy our current top with a Euros badge on it, you can head down to your local JD Sports and part with, I believe, £132 for the full-kit.  £57 for a kids top.  In the words of Mark McGhee, they can get tae f...

 

Don't blame those nations tbh for what they are doing.

I got the current kit for £55 with SSC discount 2 years ago and had the Euro patches added to it for £3 each. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better for it to happen now than next week. Still not great preparation for us though. Both right backs out which means someone has messed up badly although hopefully that means Forrest can get some game time there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like what I’ve seen from Turnbull at Celtic, but I do wonder how good he is at the defensive side of the game. 

Depay ran right off him, and I’m not sure he has the awareness (or engine?) to track that sort of movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Stevie won’t do it but if it was me I’d be benching Robertson and playing Tierney at left back, offers far more even at left centre back. Robbo’s been no existent in this game.

I like Turnbull but I’d like to see wee Billy Gilmour come on for the second half now.

McGregor and Forrest look miles off the pace as well.

In saying all that though, we’re looking no bad. I echo @Snedhead, we’re defo winning the Euros :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the goal and a moment when Cooper backheeled the ball away from Dumfries, we've contained Holland pretty well. I don't think we're at full strength, so that's pleasing. We'd probably be even more solid with McTominay and McGinn in the side. 

I don't see what Christie is offering. I'd get Gilmour on and move Turnbull further up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...