Which FM has the best engine?

I am looking to play some of the older FM games?

Which one would say has the best engine last few years ? I thinK I have all games bought except 17 or 18 I have to check steam

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, alian62 said:

FM17 is considered by most but not all to have the best engine

One of the worst for me!

FM13 (by absolute miles), FM21 then FM12 in my book. On FM13 players played with personality and quirks. - I had odd players who would dance with the ball and love a mazy central run. And you'd see their thinking process. Newgen players who became renowned for their last ditch tackles. Strikers who loved sliding in at the near post to connect to a ball. Strikers who would pummel the ball ahead of them to run onto, others with really short delicate touches. Found it a lot easier to appreciate defending too with diving headers, decisive interceptions etc.
On top of that? A match engine with reduced animations. Nowadays the animations are so many and often so poor I find myself having to play on 2D so i can imagine the fiddly animations myself instead. Which is part of the fun.

Worst? FM20, FM17, FM18

Just for me anyway :D

Edited by Domoboy23

I liked FM17 but it may just be because the system demands jumped steeply for the 3D in FM18.

My guess is though that most peoples answers will coincide with memorable saves they've had on that particular version so it may not be that reliable.  Nostalgia is a funny old thing  :)

12 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I liked FM17 but it may just be because the system demands jumped steeply for the 3D in FM18.

My guess is though that most peoples answers will coincide with memorable saves they've had on that particular version so it may not be that reliable.  Nostalgia is a funny old thing  :)

I think you are right regarding nostalgia. I think people will correlate the memories of their favourite saves with a good ME when it might not necessarily be true.

Personally I enjoyed FM17 the most. Visually, the pitches and stadia look better than they have done in recent games and the gameplay was more varied and interesting than 18-20 was.

13 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

Personally I enjoyed FM17 the most. Visually, the pitches and stadia look better than they have done in recent games and the gameplay was more varied and interesting than 18-20 was.

Yeah there's definitely a difference but I think it was necessary to take the game to the next level graphics wise in terms of the amount of animations etc  

One step back two steps forward kind of thing

37 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah there's definitely a difference but I think it was necessary to take the game to the next level graphics wise in terms of the amount of animations etc  

One step back two steps forward kind of thing

You might be right but the amount of issues in 20 and 21 ME have made it far less fun to play. Basic things reported in the first few weeks that have never been fixed (analysis still doesn’t work) and stuff from previous versions that still doesn’t work (players not following set piece instructions/positioning!) 

Absolutely zero chance i can remember the version numbers, but because the Football Manager Live (FML) engine was tweaked far more regularly than the base game the engines there would skew wildly between unplayably bad and absolutely incredible. At that point feedback was listened to and you could present stats to the devs and they would actually hold lengthy discourse with you, which doesn't happen now. 

They also had the beta worlds which were very good for this sort of thing. 

Posted (edited)

The most Perfect Match Engine(I know it is old and very dated but I love the game too much!) and Overall is FM 2010

2nd - FM 2017

3rd - FM 2013

4th - FM 2012

The only Weakness in FM 2010 is Youth System as most of them Half stars and I am not sure if the Youth system is better in FM 2011 or 2012 or 2013......

Edited by Rookie FM

Posted (edited)

Instead of relying on my limited subjective bias, I went to see what FM edition got the highest review ratings in the professional reviewers community as measured in the Metacritic score. Sorry, this is the game perception overall, not just match engine since it began in 2005. But we can count since FM 2009, which was the first 3D version ever (as such, please ignore scores for FM05 until FM08 if you want).

According to Metacritic, FM 2010 was the best 3D version of the game with 87%. It's closely followed by FM13 and FM19 with 86%.  In my opinion, the best 3D engine is the current one FM21, even as the game seems to have lagged behind in other fronts. Interestingly, you notice that throughout the 2010s the game deteriorated gradually between 2013 and 2018, according to Metacritic ratings.

Metacritic (average of reviewers ratings) for Football Manager since 2005:
FM05: 89% (2D only)
FM06: 89% (2D only)
FM07: 87% (2D only)
FM08: 86% (2D only)

FM09: 83% (first time in 3D, also the most pirated version ever due to a key glitch)
FM10: 87%
FM11: 85%
FM12: 84%
FM13: 86%
FM14: 85%
FM15: 80%
FM16: 81% 
FM17: 80%
FM18: 82%
FM19: 86%
FM20: 84%
FM21: 85%

Edited by phd_angel

On 17/05/2021 at 07:52, Domoboy23 said:

One of the worst for me!

FM13 (by absolute miles), FM21 then FM12 in my book. On FM13 players played with personality and quirks. - I had odd players who would dance with the ball and love a mazy central run. And you'd see their thinking process. Newgen players who became renowned for their last ditch tackles. Strikers who loved sliding in at the near post to connect to a ball. Strikers who would pummel the ball ahead of them to run onto, others with really short delicate touches. Found it a lot easier to appreciate defending too with diving headers, decisive interceptions etc.
On top of that? A match engine with reduced animations. Nowadays the animations are so many and often so poor I find myself having to play on 2D so i can imagine the fiddly animations myself instead. Which is part of the fun.

Worst? FM20, FM17, FM18

Just for me anyway :D

Shows you how subjective this is. I hated 13 so much I went back to 2010 and didn't buy another FM until 16 came out. 13 had all sorts of odd ball physics  for me. couldn't wrap my head around it. I want to love this year's version but the set pieces are brutal.

• 1 month later...
On 21/05/2021 at 01:12, wazzaflow10 said:

Shows you how subjective this is. I hated 13 so much I went back to 2010 and didn't buy another FM until 16 came out. 13 had all sorts of odd ball physics  for me. couldn't wrap my head around it. I want to love this year's version but the set pieces are brutal.

I can relate i bought FM13 on release and hated the ME so much i didn't touch FM till a couple of months ago (After combined 3k hours on fm10 an FM12)

however the ME doesn't seem so bad now maybe due to patches etc but still had a load of long passes straight out of the ground in the lower leagues but not as many as on release. players also appear to be drugged on normal speed.

1 hour ago, crpcarrot said:

I can relate i bought FM13 on release and hated the ME so much i didn't touch FM till a couple of months ago (After combined 3k hours on fm10 an FM12)

however the ME doesn't seem so bad now maybe due to patches etc but still had a load of long passes straight out of the ground in the lower leagues but not as many as on release. players also appear to be drugged on normal speed.

I don't know about drugged lol. But there's a lot of odd representations of the ME at times. A game I just played had Delany just dwell on the ball for with no pressure and open passing options all around him. He decided to pass the ball back to Hummels who was completely covered by the opposing striker. 3 seconds later I give away a penalty  and lose the game. There was 30 seconds left before f/t. I don't know any player at that level that would make that decision. 

The only thing I can think of is the graphics didn't match the ME's calculation. 

i have not played higher leagues with FM13 but the weird stuff is more pronounced in lower leagues. i guess have to put it down to the graphics interface interpreting the number crunching and the low skills of the players.

Posted (edited)

I liked FM13 quite a lot and the reason i did not buy another one til FM16 was that i allways want to make my own club and FM16 was the first i know of that allowed me to do that.

FM13 and FM21 be my favs...though i have FM21 quite a lot modded with realism patches etc. it is in fact the most modded FM i ever played and unmodded i would not play it.

Edited by Etebaer

On 17/05/2021 at 13:07, Brother Ben said:

CM2.  I was a kid during Italia90 and loved my Milan and Fiorentina saves on CM2... so of course CM2 was the greatest :)

The audio commentary was legendary!

3 hours ago, JAwtunes said:

CM2.  I was a kid during Italia90 and loved my Milan and Fiorentina saves on CM2... so of course CM2 was the greatest :)

The audio commentary was legendary!

Similar story here, I still play CM2 every now and then It was such a leap from CM93

37 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Similar story here, I still play CM2 every now and then It was such a leap from CM93

I started with this one:

image.jpeg.cd504c7d98765d6938ea58db20cfb97b.jpeg

Would be fun to pop back into it, but I doubt I could make it work anymore...

On 07/07/2021 at 11:34, Federico said:

I'd say FM21, but I'm also particulary fond to FM07

FM07, 12 and 14 for me. Will find it hard to choose between those three. 

Started with 07 where Bent was banging it in and Aguero was just a wonderkid

Then 12 where if you signed Pace you had a good chance of winning lol. But then that ME was at the top of the developmental cycle of its era.

Then 14 that I've played for years now, till today.

Surprisingly though, those games were all the ones where I had the most fun saves. Says a lot about threads like this or the human perception of things. :rolleyes:

This can only be answered seriously by Chris Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson or James May:brock: 

Back to being serious: 
I think the newest Match-Engine is always the best, because it's improved from year to year. So FM21 for me:thup: