Strenghten position promise: does it include already agreed future transfers?

Hey everyone,

I've got a question that I've been asking myself for quite a while now:

When a player wants you to promise to strengthen a certain position and you've already signed someone good for next season for that exact position, does that count?
Or in other words: does the player already know about the signing and wants another signing, or are they ignorant of the signing and the future transfer would already fulfill the promise?

I usually exclude such promises but always wondered about this.

I am not sure if anyone will be totally sure of the answer to this- Personally, I would doubt that a future signing would be taken into account by the player you are making promises to, but that is only my feeling.  Promises like this, which are almost impossible to quantify, are undoubtedly best left out of negotiations IMO

One thing that confuses me is when you sign, for example, a defender, and they want the promise to "strengthen defence". I mean, obviously you are already doing that, that is why you are signing him after all. 

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

One thing that confuses me is when you sign, for example, a defender, and they want the promise to "strengthen defence". I mean, obviously you are already doing that, that is why you are signing him after all. 

He is basically telling you he doesn't rate the rest of your defence and he wants more signings to make his job easier

13 minutes ago, cris182 said:

He is basically telling you he doesn't rate the rest of your defence and he wants more signings to make his job easier

Any promises a player expects with regards to strengthening my side is removed straight away. I'm not having any player tell me how to run my team 

2 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Any promises a player expects with regards to strengthening my side is removed straight away. I'm not having any player tell me how to run my team 

Same here, Plus the promises can backfire when you think you have done what is asked but you haven't done it to the imaginary level of the player, And there is no way to know until it is too late

I always remove them for this reason

I once had the situation where I had to make such a promise for a new player. I already had arranged a transfer for that position for the next transfer window. 

the player I had to make the promise to, would join my team in that same transfer window and the promise got fulfilled when both players joined my team. 

16 hours ago, CARRERA said:

I once had the situation where I had to make such a promise for a new player. I already had arranged a transfer for that position for the next transfer window. 

the player I had to make the promise to, would join my team in that same transfer window and the promise got fulfilled when both players joined my team. 

Oh nice! That is good to know, so it seems future transfers (if the player likes them) do count towards that promise!

As mentioned before I always remove this promise, so that was not really the point.
However, with high-profile players you sometimes can't remove their promises or if you do, they don't want to sign.
In my case Harry Kane had that promise (strengthen midfield) locked so I signed Fede Valverde, who now has the highest star rating of all of my central midfielders, in a team including Kanté, Saúl (and also Messi, Dybala, Hazard, Sancho, if those count as midfielders).
But the promise status hasn't changed yet, so I'm unsure whether to try to sign another player (probably won't find/get one with a higher rating/reputation) or just wait and see if the status changes over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, shani ace said:

In my case Harry Kane had that promise (strengthen midfield) locked so I signed Fede Valverde, who now has the highest star rating of all of my central midfielders, in a team including Kanté, Saúl (and also Messi, Dybala, Hazard, Sancho, if those count as midfielders).
But the promise status hasn't changed yet, so I'm unsure whether to try to sign another player (probably won't find/get one with a higher rating/reputation) or just wait and see if the status changes over the course of the season.

You might have to check if that player you bought is really a midfielder and not a wide striker or a striker who can also play in midfield. But im not sure about that

4 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

You might have to check if that player you bought is really a midfielder and not a wide striker or a striker who can also play in midfield. But im not sure about that

No he's a CM and DM, those are his natural positions.

Ok so out of curiosity, I reloaded the save, signed Florentino Luis and Bernardo Silva instead (Valverde was only possible with a high release clause), and now Kane's promise is satisfied.

So what he actually wanted was not one but two top midfielders.

Edited by shani ace

7 hours ago, shani ace said:

So what he actually wanted was not one but two top midfielders.

Yeah its not really logically quantifiable like that and that is why everyone is telling you to avoid it like the plague.

And I keep telling everyone since the OP that I've already been avoiding it all these years (been playing since FM14) but there are rare occasions where you can't.

Stating the obvious is not helpful at all and just bloats up the thread with useless posts. :rolleyes:

In fact the only one who actually contributed something useful was CARRERA (and I guess myself in the end).