NO ZLATAN

bestbrother

1 hour ago, Marius_R said:

The ugly truth is Sweden are better off without him anyway. 

tbh i wouldnt have a clue about any other Swedish players, maybe if i looked on Champ id know.

but still, Zlats would have been good for the competition.

8 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

tbh i wouldnt have a clue about any other Swedish players, maybe if i looked on Champ id know.

but still, Zlats would have been good for the competition.

We were in the same group in the qualifiers and they beat us fair and square twice, they don't have any big names (ok, maybe Forsberg, but still not Zlatan like), but they're a really well drilled team who operate good as a unit, and I think they lose that with Zlatan. 

He'd have been good for the marketing. 

Edited by Marius_R

On a related note, this means Cristiano Ronaldo can now take the outright record for playing in most Euros tournaments.  There are a few players who have played in four, include Ronaldo and Zlatan.  They were both on track to play in a 5th which nobody has ever done before.  Casillas was named in five squads but was an unused substitute for the first one.

I always had the impression Matthaus played in 5 Euros, but I Googled and he missed Euro 92 because of injury and Euro 96 because of a feud with Klinnsman and Vogts. 

Crazy to think he could've played in 6 Euros. 

Edited by Marius_R

1 hour ago, Marius_R said:

I always had the impression Matthaus played in 5 Euros, but I Googled and he missed Euro 92 because of injury and Euro 96 because of a feud with Klinnsman and Vogts. 

Crazy to think he could've played in 6 Euros. 

Thats crazy, didnt think he played back in 80!

Quality player looking back tbh

Remember him fondly for this strike

14 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Thats crazy, didnt think he played back in 80!

Quality player looking back tbh

Remember him fondly for this strike

feel old seeing that as that was my first World Cup I watched :D

27 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Didn’t think he deserved to go anyway to be honest. Seemed a bit dodgy retiring then coming out of retirement when your country actually qualifies. 

Nedved did it in 2006 iirc and could have gone to 2008 the same way. 

Not a nice gesture, I agree, but if they want to call you up to help them, I guess there's something there, too.

Nedved returned for the playoff vs Norway, and from what I remember, it was Karel Bruckner who persuaded him to come out of international retirement. And it was Bruckner and his team mates who insisted on him playing at the Euro 2008.

Zlatan retired after Euro 2016, but then made himself available after Sweden had already qualified for the 2018 World Cup, and then, when he didn't make the squad, he blamed everyone for not making the squad. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt we would have been better off if he had played. I don't care about the whole coming out of retirement to join a big tourney, plenty of ppl have done it, Larsson as mentioned and it wasn't a problem then, and isn't a problem with Zlatan. He's still quality, offers so much to any team, and would have helped us I'm sure.

We'll probably make it out of the group and then go out on a respectable loss to a better nation and that's that.