My attacking principles (as inspired by the Red Bull philosophy)

22 hours ago, buachuta said:

Great write-up. Wonder what's your roles upfront? It looks like all of them are attacking, but you mention a false nine. Hopefully you will update soon :)

Thanks. :)

The focus on our attacking 'tactics' rather than the 'strategies' employed (formations, players, roles and duties) was intentional; this is because I'll frequently make changes to our 'strategy' as we come up against different opponents with different strengths, weaknesses and strategies of their own.

As outlined above, our attacking principles are to have numbers forward and to use these players in order to isolate or disrupt the opposition defenders.  We may try to isolate the opposition in 1-on-1's by stretching play and overloading down one side - for example, we may set up a 4-2-4 with a playmaker on one flank and a wide forward on the other. Alternatively, we may try to beat a more compact defence by having players who 'roam from position' or cut in from wide positions - creating space by dragging a defender from their assigned position, either horizontally or vertically.

So the tactical principles always remain the same - commit men to the attack, create space and attack vertically - but the strategy, including player roles and duties, changes depending on the opposition.  Before you can exploit your opponents weaknesses you need to identify them - as they say 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail' - and soon, I hope to write a bit more about how I scout my opponents and prepare for matches.

Edited by Silver Sweeper

Lovely write up! Nice clips as well am a huge fan of watching the ideas play out. Great system you have taking with real life ideas and implemented it into FM not a easy task well done keep up the good work 👏🏻

On 15/05/2021 at 13:17, Silver Sweeper said:

Over the course of a single save, I look to evolve a set of tactical principles that defines my team’s style of play but, at the same time, I’ll employ a variety of different strategies

Hiya, I can't help myself pointing this out but you're almost using the terms the wrong way around.  Strategy is the long term vision; tactics are the short term actions.

10 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Hiya, I can't help myself pointing this out but you're almost using the terms the wrong way around.  Strategy is the long term vision; tactics are the short term actions.

Potato, Potahto 

I took my definition from the Stevie Grieve quote in the opening post, and that still makes sense to me.  But whatever your preferred definition, my over-arching point is that I like to approach the game with a set of principles which only change subtly over several seasons.  I do, however, make tweaks to formations, player roles, duties, etc. based on my next opponent (although I'm definitely not saying that I make changes for every game!)

I really enjoyed reading this thread; particularly the use of video and the match engine screenshots. Well done and thank you for sharing! :applause:

Like many, I have become increasingly fascinated by the 'German school' of managers currently dominating football. I'm in East Africa at the moment and there's a lot of German football shown on TV due to a football-mad population and it's a really interesting league.

Previously I had thought that the league was 'press, press, press', but there is far more too it than that. Sides do certainly press and it's extremely well organised but not necessarily high all of the time.

In the same way you identify formations being flexible, I am noticing that the playing style for someone like Nagelsman for example is more flexible than for say Klopp or Guardiola.

I notice some principles are pretty constant, such as:

• Very collective, well-organised defensive shape
  • Often building from the back but in a more direct way than other leagues
  • Structured well-organised attacking shape

However the how high they press and how directly they attack can vary depending on the game, similarly to the way that you identify formations changing.

I am still playing FM2018 so I am able to use Team Shape so for me I would be setting my formation and using lots of Support duties to create that collective playing style and a Structured team shape to create that organisation (rather than giving individual freedom in more fluid shape). Then use different team mentalities to adapt the pressing intensity and directness on a game by game basis.

My comments are more broadly related to the likes of Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Rose, Favre and co. rather than the Red Bull style (which you seem to have nailed).

I love the 4-2-4 shape by the way :applause:did you go for 2 centre forwards and 2 inside forwards?

On 27/05/2021 at 21:57, halfspace3000 said:

any more updates on how this is going?

Thanks for your interest, however, the thread/topic was designed to be a one-off analysis of the tactical principles I've been applying lately and not a 'series' following the progress of my save.  I've considered expanding on how I prepare for games, how I analyse my opponent and then tweak the strategy - but this feels more suited to a thread of its own.  In truth, I can't see me adding any more to the original post here but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

I've also been thinking of starting a save in which I'll attempt to implement these principles at a team ill-suited to this style of play.  I'm interested to see if I can imbed a philosophy at a club the way the Red Bull corporation have at Salzburg and Leipzig.  If I do start this save, and decide to post about it, then this will be in the Careers Update forum (and I'll add a link here).

Edited by Silver Sweeper

On 29/05/2021 at 08:33, Silver Sweeper said:

In truth, I can't see me adding any more to the original post here but I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for the write-up SS, really interesting look at the principles of pressing. I know this isn't intended to be plug&play but I was wondering about what kind of PIs you would use for this style as it's an area that I find tough to navigate - e.g. if we're compact on defence should I ask my wide players to sit narrower, or is that overkill? Same with an SV type ball carrier/creative player, should he run with the ball more and play more risky passes? Cheers!

5 hours ago, Captain Cabinets said:

Thanks for the write-up SS, really interesting look at the principles of pressing. I know this isn't intended to be plug&play but I was wondering about what kind of PIs you would use for this style as it's an area that I find tough to navigate - e.g. if we're compact on defence should I ask my wide players to sit narrower, or is that overkill? Same with an SV type ball carrier/creative player, should he run with the ball more and play more risky passes? Cheers!

To be honest, I rarely use player instructions preferring to shape my tactics with roles and duties.  For example,  if I'm thinking about maintaining a structured defence then I'll likely be more conservative with my choice of roles/duties (particularly if I'm playing at a higher mentality).  If I want a vertically compact defence then I'll raise my defensive line or, for a horizontally compact defence, I'll use the 'force opposition wide' team instruction.

I might use the odd PI if I want to emphasise, or dial down, a particular aspect of a player's performance but I tend to do this in game as a reaction to how the play is unfolding.  In truth, I find it too easy to 'forget' which PI's are being used!

My advice would be don't overthink it, start with a simple idea and and identify the key instructions - for example, with RBL I knew I wanted to play vertically and, to me, this meant employing a higher tempo and using a 'top heavy' formation so I would have players up field for those rapid transitions.  Select the roles/duties around the defensive and attacking shapes that you're hoping to achieve and then sit back and watch some games.  Now, ask yourself how close are you to the basic tactical idea?  Once you're happy with the 'foundation' make other changes as necessary - for example raising, or lowering, the DL and LoE; or experimenting with your pressing intensity.

I think too many FM-er's watch YouTube videos on real world tactics and then attempt to emulate this in the game by taking the analysis too literally, adding a cacophony of instructions.  Sometimes less is more :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 19/10/2021 at 01:09, Djeon36 said:

Just wondering how does your team look like in a 4231 formation? I'm especially curious what role your CAM is?

Thinking about this as well.

I first thought would be a AM with support duty. Perhaps adding PI's to take more risky and move into channels.

On 20/10/2021 at 09:01, Keyzer Soze said:

Thinking about this as well.

I first thought would be a AM with support duty. Perhaps adding PI's to take more risky and move into channels.

I originally had AP on attack but changed it to support and added the PI's of roam around more and move into channels. Basically trying to have a F9 as a CAM 

12 hours ago, Djeon36 said:

I originally had AP on attack but changed it to support and added the PI's of roam around more and move into channels. Basically trying to have a F9 as a CAM 

Has that been working as desired?

Hi,

Congrats to @Silver Sweeper. Great OP and very good ideas.

i took your ideas, in particulary the team instructions that you shared for the win against Hoffenheim and adapted to a new save i was playing, where i want to play with the 4231 DM Wide Formation.

I end up with this:

DLF(a)

IW(s)        AMC(s)        IW(a)

DM(d)        VOL(s)

WB(a)    CD(d)    CD(co)    FB(s)

G(d)

Team Instructions:

In Possession: Pass into space, POOD, Higher Tempo, Narrow

In Transition: Take Short kicks, Distribute do centerbacks, counter, counter press

Out of possession: Force opposition outside, higher D-Line, higher LOE, Extremely Urgent Pressing, Prevent GK Distribution.

I also added some players Instructions:

VOL(s): take more risk

AMC(s): roam from position, take more risk

I'm starting now second season, and the first went really well. Played with Benfica and won the league, league cup, and reach the portuguese cup final (lost to Porto). 

In champions league, reached semi-finals (lost to Barcelona) winning against teams like Liverpool and Bayern.

The changes i'm made were related with the F9-AMC change that i made. Because of that i've dediced to go a little bit wider to give a little more space for the wide players to cut in.

But the basics elements are there: the high and urgent pressing, the counter press and quick attacks.

Against bigger teams, i low mentality to standard, and drop the LOE to standard and the prevent gk distribution instruction. I also take the pass into space instructions if i'm seeing to many lost passes. Really solid in defence.

For some reason, that i'm still trying to figure out, my right FB(s) and my left IW(s) are always the players with lower ratings. Any idea why?

Anyway, it's been a very good save. Thank you for the inspiration!

Edited by Keyzer Soze

3 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Hi,

Congrats to @Silver Sweeper. Great OP and very good ideas.

i took your ideas, in particulary the team instructions that you shared for the win against Hoffenheim and adapted to a new save i was playing, where i want to play with the 4231 DM Wide Formation.

I end up with this:

DLF(a)

IW(s)        AMC(s)        IW(a)

DM(d)        VOL(s)

WB(a)    CD(d)    CD(co)    FB(s)

G(d)

Team Instructions:

In Possession: Pass into space, POOD, Higher Tempo, Narrow

In Transition: Take Short kicks, Distribute do centerbacks, counter, counter press

Out of possession: Force opposition outside, higher D-Line, higher LOE, Extremely Urgent Pressing, Prevent GK Distribution.

I also added some players Instructions:

VOL(s): take more risk

AMC(s): roam from position, take more risk

I'm starting now second season, and the first went really well. Played with Benfica and won the league, league cup, and reach the portuguese cup final (lost to Porto). 

In champions league, reached semi-finals (lost to Barcelona) winning against teams like Liverpool and Bayern.

The changes i'm made were related with the F9-AMC change that i made. Because of that i've dediced to go a little bit wider to give a little more space for the wide players to cut in.

But the basics elements are there: the high and urgent pressing, the counter press and quick attacks.

Against bigger teams, i low mentality to standard, and drop the LOE to standard and the prevent gk distribution instruction. I also take the pass into space instructions if i'm seeing to many lost passes. Really solid in defence.

For some reason, that i'm still trying to figure out, my right FB(s) and my left IW(s) are always the players with lower ratings. Any idea why?

Anyway, it's been a very good save. Thank you for the inspiration!

Big fan of this. Looks very similar to a shape I'm trying to out together on my Villa save.

How you finding it on positive? I only ask as there's an excellent Cleon thread about the 4231 DM where he talks about how he'd go no higher than Balanced so I've been floating between both mentalities without coming up with an answer.

1 hour ago, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Big fan of this. Looks very similar to a shape I'm trying to out together on my Villa save.

How you finding it on positive? I only ask as there's an excellent Cleon thread about the 4231 DM where he talks about how he'd go no higher than Balanced so I've been floating between both mentalities without coming up with an answer.

I know that thread from @Cleon, and I also read it recently.

I've try my tactic with a balanced mentality, and in fact I use balanced mentality against bigger teams like I said in my post, but for the large majority of the games, and because I play with a big team in Portugal, Ive came to the conclusion that positive mentality suits better the way I want to play. 

In particularly the aggressive pressing from the front 4 players and the quick transition to attack work better imo with a positive mentality. 

1 hour ago, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

I never go above balance with top heavy formation, it doesn't really make sense to how I play as the players are already too high for my liking. I'd rather have faster transitions and have my attacking players run into space. On higher/aggressive mentalities this space doesn't really exist. That's why I play on lower mentalities so there is more space and it's less congested in and around the box. It's also the way to be more attacking imo by being less aggressive, it's more efficient, clinical etc.

But it all comes down to what you're trying to create and how you play. What are you trying to achieve?

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

I never go above balance with top heavy formation, it doesn't really make sense to how I play as the players are already too high for my liking. I'd rather have faster transitions and have my attacking players run into space. On higher/aggressive mentalities this space doesn't really exist. That's why I play on lower mentalities so there is more space and it's less congested in and around the box. It's also the way to be more attacking imo by being less aggressive, it's more efficient, clinical etc.

But it all comes down to what you're trying to create and how you play. What are you trying to achieve?

Makes perfect sense. I'm always trying to create fast transitions and running with the ball.i just can't help it. But I know full well that I should opt for less top heavy formations to achieve that. It's just hard to ween myself off those fancy roles and the nice on screen symmetry of top heavy formations. 

Stupid I know 🤣