Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I try to replicate my favorite tactic in FM21 but would like to know if it's okay or if you've suggestions to make it better. Formation should be 4-4-2 narrow diamond or a narrow 4-1-3-2.

I know that following details aren't sufficient to make up a complete tactic, especially the instructions for the defense have not yet been discussed, but I would like to start with these specifications first and then adjust the tactics further.

Playstyle (most important):

Fast and direct football. Long balls were rather the exception, instead they combined with flat one-contacts quickly from back to front. A prototype for the quick changeover when capturing a ball in their own half: Over two stations, they bring the ball in less than ten seconds to the opponent's penalty area.

This style seems to be contradictory for FM, sounds like to use shorter and vertical passes at the same time. Would shorter passes and a higher tempo be the best settings to reproduce such a style of play? Mentality is important as well, I would probably first test standard or positive.

Role specifications:

A defensive midfielder with good positional play and anticipation not relying on his tacklings  in front of a back four. Next to him played two strong box-to-box players, players who ran from penalty area to penalty area and supported their colleagues. A classic ten was responsible for the creative elements , especially for a very fast striker attacking opposing defensive lines.

My planned roles, depending on available players and how they act with actual match engine: DM should be Anchor Man, DLPd, Half Back or DMd,  CM should be a combination of DLPs, CMs, CARs and MEZs (one more attacking + one more defensive minded role), classic ten should be CMa, Ta, AMs/AMa or APs/APa and fast striker AFa, PFa or Pa.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YasoKuul said:

Playstyle (most important):

Fast and direct football. Long balls were rather the exception, instead they combined with flat one-contacts quickly from back to front. A prototype for the quick changeover when capturing a ball in their own half: Over two stations, they bring the ball in less than ten seconds to the opponent's penalty area.

This style seems to be contradictory for FM, sounds like to use shorter and vertical passes at the same time. Would shorter passes and a higher tempo be the best settings to reproduce such a style of play? Mentality is important as well, I would probably first test standard or positive.

For the first attempt I would try to start over with playing through the middle, higher tempo, shorter passes, Counter TI. Later on you may add narrow attacking width if your counter attacks are not smooth enough and pass into space if you feel like you can’t really combine through the defensive lines.

key though will be the distribution of roles and especially duties. Try to avoid using roles like DLP or AP as they might hold up play and instead use RPM or T. Also it may be effective to distribute duties in a more progressive way for players up the pitch having a higher mentality. That allows you to transition more quickly from back to front. 

Edited by CARRERA
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YasoKuul said:

This style seems to be contradictory for FM, sounds like to use shorter and vertical passes at the same time. Would shorter passes and a higher tempo be the best settings to reproduce such a style of play? Mentality is important as well, I would probably first test standard or positive

Shorter pass + higher tempo + positive mentality looks like the most logical combo to me for the style you described. 

 

4 hours ago, YasoKuul said:

DM should be Anchor Man, DLPd, Half Back or DMd

I would definitely avoid the DLP on defend for your intended tactical style. In that kind of system, my preferred DM role would be HB. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2021 at 15:52, Experienced Defender said:

Shorter pass + higher tempo + positive mentality looks like the most logical combo to me for the style you described. 

 

I would definitely avoid the DLP on defend for your intended tactical style. In that kind of system, my preferred DM role would be HB. 

 

That’s sounds very interesting. You gave me some advice for a 442 and it did good work. But a diamond could be even better as I am lacking fast players on the wings. How would you set up a diamond 442 with this style of play as discribed here?

it sounds like Werder Bremen with Micoud.

Edited by HanziZoloman
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

How would you set up a diamond 442 with this style of play as discribed here?

CFat     CFat

SS

CAR     CAR

HB

WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

CFat     CFat

SS

CAR     CAR

HB

WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE

That looks fast! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

CFat     CFat

SS

CAR     CAR

HB

WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu

SKsu

Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE

Given that Positive mentality + attack duty = very offensive, combined with a high tempo, is it not too « agressive » ? I dit that kind of tactic but I had a lot of shots, a very high xG but very few real opportunities  and goals (managing a top 5 team)

Edited by sonnevillejr
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonnevillejr said:

Given that Positive mentality + attack duty = very offensive, combined with a high tempo, is it not too « agressive » ?

It is. But I did not test that tactic nor did I say that I would play that way. I just answered a specific question, that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It is. But I did not test that tactic nor did I say that I would play that way. I just answered a specific question, that's all.

Why did you chose underlap? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Why did you chose underlap? 

For 2 reasons:

1. to encourage the fullbacks to more assertively support attacking play on the flanks by increasing their individual mentality slightly (because there are no wingers in the system);

2. to encourage inside passes from wider areas in the final third

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said: CFat     CFat SS CAR     CAR HB WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu SKsu Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE This tactic is hilariously bad, using it with a team like Southampton or Wolves you'd probably get sacked on a relegation spot before boxing day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheGOATofFM said:

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said: CFat     CFat SS CAR     CAR HB WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu SKsu Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE This tactic is hilariously bad, using it with a team like Southampton or Wolves you'd probably get sacked on a relegation spot before boxing day.

None said that you should use the tactic with Southampton or Wolves or any particular team. And even more important - none said it's a plug'n'play tactic.

If you are looking for a plug'n'play/exploit tactic, you should look elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2021 at 20:11, TheGOATofFM said:

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said: CFat     CFat SS CAR     CAR HB WBsu    CDde   BPDde   WBsu SKsu Positive - PoD, shorter pass, higher tempo, underlap left & underlap right - counter, counter-press & distribute quickly - higher DL & higher LOE This tactic is hilariously bad, using it with a team like Southampton or Wolves you'd probably get sacked on a relegation spot before boxing day.

If your players don't fit your tactics, you won't perform. Mind blowing stuff, more at 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...