Netherlands Provisional 34-man squad

adhikapp

45 minutes ago, TeeWee said:

The role of the head coach must be to allow the players and team to play to their strong suit, and select the players and formation which support that vision best. A defensive-minded coach might implement 433, but if he gives the wingers a large defensive task load, it's still not going to satisfy the Telegraaf (and therefore, the general public). 

This is harsh :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that generally believes the best approach is the one that suits your best players, I think it'd be a mistake for the Netherlands to go away from 3ATB. VVD, de Ligt, de Vrij is an insane backline. I found Botman's exclusion questionable at best. Hateboer and Dumfries offer a couple good options on the right. Just have to hope one of the younger options displace van Aanholt in the XI. De Jong, de Roon, and Gini is a very good and well-balanced midfield trio, and there are some promising options behind them. No one would mistaken Weghorst for an elite Dutch striker of the past, but he's a physical presence that will put in a shift, and some teams will struggle to deal with. Depay is flashy, but inconsistent, maybe playing at Barca helps. Maybe he becomes more of a situational attacking player instead of locked into the XI. Malen, Boadu, etc. making moves, playing at a higher level, etc., should help, but will it be enough, quick enough before Qatar. 

De Boer out should be addition by subtraction. Highly questionable appointment made out of desperation. The players, are good enough to contend, they just need a manager on par. 

49 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

As someone that generally believes the best approach is the one that suits your best players, I think it'd be a mistake for the Netherlands to go away from 3ATB. VVD, de Ligt, de Vrij is an insane backline. I found Botman's exclusion questionable at best. Hateboer and Dumfries offer a couple good options on the right. Just have to hope one of the younger options displace van Aanholt in the XI. De Jong, de Roon, and Gini is a very good and well-balanced midfield trio, and there are some promising options behind them. No one would mistaken Weghorst for an elite Dutch striker of the past, but he's a physical presence that will put in a shift, and some teams will struggle to deal with. Depay is flashy, but inconsistent, maybe playing at Barca helps. Maybe he becomes more of a situational attacking player instead of locked into the XI. Malen, Boadu, etc. making moves, playing at a higher level, etc., should help, but will it be enough, quick enough before Qatar. 

De Boer out should be addition by subtraction. Highly questionable appointment made out of desperation. The players, are good enough to contend, they just need a manager on par. 

Botman left Ajax which gives you minusmarks in the eyes of De Boer.

2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

I thought that Wijndal was likely going to be a starter at this Euros, was surprised to see PvA starting.

Apparently Frank de Boer lost confidence in him quite quickly, similar like what happened to Gapko and Koopmeijners.

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

So sad remembering all the hope for each nation when the squad was announced...to see them all start falling :(

It's kind of a given as there can be only one winner :D 

I think it's safe to say that we Dutch are used to it, having won one trophy and that there are many other nations who never won anything who won't be all that surprised either ^^

If you check the results, the Dutch usually get past the group stage and then run into someone who makes a fool of them.

Usually Portugal or Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia (just ask Willem van Hanegem)

3 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

If you check the results, the Dutch usually get past the group stage and then run into someone who makes a fool of them.

Usually Portugal or Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia (just ask Willem van Hanegem)

The worst one was Russia, after we destroyed France and Italy in the group stage. I still blame the fact we played a B team for the last group match.  At least we didn't make that mistake this time. 

39 minutes ago, DJ said:

The worst one was Russia, after we destroyed France and Italy in the group stage. I still blame the fact we played a B team for the last group match.  At least we didn't make that mistake this time. 

Hiddinks Russia right? Oranje was out of steam after 70 minutes.