Jump to content

Netherlands Provisional 34-man squad


Recommended Posts

E1VvXKDXsAEeK1n.thumb.jpg.d245b75a7e92f21c3f96e03d9998b024.jpg

 

Frank de Boer surprisingly not persisting with Ryan Babel and Kevin Strootman.

Honestly not a clue who'll get cut into 26. Probably Stekelenburg, Timber, Karsdorp, maybe Vilhena & Promes too. Don't know who else. Maybe Dutch people would know more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see de Boer pulled his head out long enough to include Weghorst.

VVD's absence is massive. Would look a strong contender with him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Isn't Promes under investigation over a stabbing?

I'd forgotten about that in the absence of any further news. Seems he was released and nothing came of it. *shrug*

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for him to bench De Vrij again because he's not an Ajax product. :D

What a time we live in, when everyone's healthy Holland's 3 best players are all CBs. They don't have a single top class midfielder or striker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

I'd argue Frenkie de Jong and Memphis Depay are top players

Fair enough, I also think de Jong has the potential to get there, don't think Depay is a tier1 forward.

We've seen this season that all 3 teams those CBs play on completely fall apart in their defensive setups without them.
And they play for some of world's best teams. That's a top class player for me. Someone who's indispensible for their team's system at top level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, if Depay was fit (he had an ACL injury and so wouldn't have made the competition), I think Holland had a great chance. De Ligt, van Dijk, De Jong, Wijnaldum, Depay is good spine. Depay has played really well and scored a lot since being the main forward. Wijnaldum was carrying a huge goalscoring load too and playing great. The others speak for themselves.

But that was under Koeman, who was getting that team to play better than the individual names on the team sheet. Frank de Boer is so unbelievably **** and so I don't think they've got a chance with him as coach. Wouldn't matter if van Dijk was available or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, adhikapp said:

Frank de Boer surprisingly not persisting with Ryan Babel and Kevin Strootman.

Honestly not a clue who'll get cut into 26. Probably Stekelenburg, Timber, Karsdorp, maybe Vilhena & Promes too. Don't know who else. Maybe Dutch people would know more.

Strootman hasn't been going anywhere for a while. It was more surprising he persisted with him for so long. Babel being dropped is a bit surprised with him constantly selected previously, but seems to be the victim of Gakpo and El Ghazi brought in.

 

1 hour ago, XuluBak said:

I'd forgotten about that in the absence of any further news. Seems he was released and nothing came of it. *shrug*

Promes is still being investigated, but there was no reason to keep him behind bars. This will probably end in a civil suit, depending on the outcome of the police work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Can't wait for him to bench De Vrij again because he's not an Ajax product. :D

Didn't know you were so close mates with FdB that you already know his plans :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy for Jeremiah St. Juste. He's now officially the fastest player of the season in the Bundesliga since last weekend, and his ability has grown a lot. I remember when he used to be a liability for the club, but he's turned into a rock in defense while dribbling at high speed to set up an attacking play several times a game. Playing for a club like Mainz and getting called up is a fantastic achievement. I hope he'll make the final squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

THE 26 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP-GOERS:
Keepers : Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Tim Krul (Norwich City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax)

Defenders : Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Daley Blind (Ajax), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Jurriën Timber (Ajax), Joël Veltman (Brighton & Hove Albion), Stefan de Vrij (Internazionale), Owen Wijndal (AZ)

Midfielders : Donny van de Beek (Manchester United), Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (AZ), Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Forwards : Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Memphis Depay (Olympique Lyon), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Quincy Promes (Spartak Moscow), Wout Weghorst (VfL Wolfsburg)

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Few injury cases.

Sure, but you could just call up replacements (which they still can do now, up until the tournament starts). This whole provisional squad only makes sense if you can get them together as a group and then make a decision based on training impressions or medical evaluations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DJ said:

It's also a signal towards those players that they are close to the core squad. 

A phone call would have taken care of that. The only upside I can see is that it signals how close someone is to the rest of the world, possibly increasing their market value and drum up interest, but that shouldn't be the job of the bondscoach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea. De Ligt says he is pro-vaccination after refusing his vaccination. So it's max 5 ;)

On the other hand, at least one player (name unknown atm) has said, he doesn't want to take the risk the vaccine gives him a setback before the tournament, while he doesn't have an issue taking the vaccine after the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

No idea. De Ligt says he is pro-vaccination after refusing his vaccination. So it's max 5 ;)

On the other hand, at least one player (name unknown atm) has said, he doesn't want to take the risk the vaccine gives him a setback before the tournament, while he doesn't have an issue taking the vaccine after the tournament.

I would think that's a fairly common attitude and not entirely unreasonable given the context. These guys aren't just competing against other teams, they're also battling for their place in the line-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

It seems that De Ligts dad told him he is an idiot :D

A player who puts so much of his health in the hands of doctors and other medical specialists rejects a vaccine is very ****ing stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

A player who puts so much of his health in the hands of doctors and other medical specialists rejects a vaccine is very ****ing stupid.

Naw it's not. It doesn't follow he's anti-science or that under normal circumstances he would also reject the vaccine. All this tells you is that competing in the Euro is a big deal. It's not unreasonable to believe that this is a worthwhile tradeoff: betting the bubble is keeping you safe vs risking side-effects that could potentially set you back at a time where everything needs to be timed to perfection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

You're talking absolute codswallop do some ****ing reading on the subject. Why don't you start off with his comments first because what you're saying was not the reason he gave for not getting vaccinated. 

His opinion btw is as uninformed as yours is.

Edited by Crazy_Ivan
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Naw it's not. It doesn't follow he's anti-science or that under normal circumstances he would also reject the vaccine. All this tells you is that competing in the Euro is a big deal. It's not unreasonable to believe that this is a worthwhile tradeoff: betting the bubble is keeping you safe vs risking side-effects that could potentially set you back at a time where everything needs to be timed to perfection.

That's not what his reasoning was. He said, he wanted to be boss over own body. Nothing to do with performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

You're talking absolute codswallop do some ****ing reading on the subject. Why don't you start off with his comments first because what you're saying was not the reason he gave for not getting vaccinated. 

His opinion btw is as uninformed as yours is.

Do you ever get tired of blowing your lid for the most inane reasons? My response was in reference to the (unnamed) player who said he has no problem taking the vaccine after the tournament but doesn't want to risk it now. Maybe de Ligt is an anti-vaxxer, maybe he isn't. He has since claimed that he's going to get his shot as soon as possible. My point was that there are some legit reasons to be at least a bit hesitant for professional athletes on the eve of a big tournament. That Weghorst is a nob is something we see eye to eye on however.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is losing it. Already making a mess of things and his Amsterdam preference is rearing his ugly head again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a legit case for the worst coach in football history, at least on top level.

I remember when he had separate film sessions for starters and bench players at Inter.

If it was a video analysis session for the starters, no bench players were allowed in the room. :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...