Posted (edited)

I've gained promotion to the Premier League, starting from non-league status 12 seasons ago. I'm sharing with Norwich for the first season as my stadium capacity as 5000. The board are building me a new stadium with capacity due to be 11000. But the Premier League rules state the minimum requirement is a 12500 capacity.

What gives? Are my board likely to build to the requirements after all, or will they need a further year to expand a new unused stadium?

This is FM19, by the way. Anyone experienced this?

On a separate note, big screen for fans. A few seasons in I was drawn in an FA Cup qualifying round against an ex-league team and was thrilled to see they had a big screen. Subsequently, I saw them at every once-league and later currently league team. I got my first new stadium on rising to the National North league but had no screen. Will I get one (or multiple ones) in a new Premier League stadium? Otherwise, how does a club acquire such technology? Is it to do with Corporate Facilities? Has anyone ever stopped to ponder on gaining Big Screens at their ground? I know it's only cosmetic, but I'm curious.

Edited by phnompenhandy
11 hours ago, kentonizking said:

Also, who you playing as to share with Norwich?

Cavendish, a village in Suffolk, near, er, Ipswich.

Good to know. It's due to be completed after the first season in the PL is over and it currently looks like I will survive.

The game won’t let you play in a stadium that doesn’t meet the requirements. You may have to play at Norwich for a bit longer to upgrade your new stadium to meet requirements. Or it might all just get done when the stadium is completed. Either way, at some point you’ll have a stadium that is fit for purpose. Do you know the expandable capacity for your new home?

1 hour ago, Tyburn said:

Do you know the expandable capacity for your new home?

Five years ago when it was built it was a 5000 capacity stadium, expandable to 8000. It does seem a bit odd that suddenly it can grow bigger (and it is an expansion to my old new stadium, not a second new one). I don't recall an updated expansion limit being mentioned in the news item announcement. I think if it had been and met PL requirements, I wouldn't be worrying about it. I'm happy to follow kenton's assumption that the completed stadium will either be bigger than originally planned, or that if I secure survival in the PL, plans will be altered. That could mean staying an extra 6 months or a year at Carrow Road and possibly moving out three years later when it needs to grow again. I'll be a bit sorry to leave Carrow Road as my expanded stadium won't be anything like as grand.

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Cavendish, a village in Suffolk, near, er, Ipswich.

Good to know. It's due to be completed after the first season in the PL is over and it currently looks like I will survive.

I'm a Norwich fan, who moved to Ipswich (boooo) a year ago, I know the village. 

Not sure where they'll fit a 12000 seater!!!

1 hour ago, kentonizking said:

I'm a Norwich fan, who moved to Ipswich (boooo) a year ago, I know the village. 

Not sure where they'll fit a 12000 seater!!!

Well, out of town, like Hoffenheim I guess. As for filling it, every season since we were in the Essex & Suffolk Border League Division 2 we've had the lowest average attendance in the league. The lowest gate receipts, the lowest sponsorship and corporate money. We thrive by developing and selling youth. I just need the stadium to meet the requirements of staying in the Premier League. Mind you, in our last game, losing at home 0-4 to Manchester City (in City's previous match they tonked Norwich 7-1 so I was quite proud of that result), we broke our league attendance record, over 11K.

On 15/05/2021 at 19:34, phnompenhandy said:

Well, out of town, like Hoffenheim I guess. As for filling it, every season since we were in the Essex & Suffolk Border League Division 2 we've had the lowest average attendance in the league. The lowest gate receipts, the lowest sponsorship and corporate money. We thrive by developing and selling youth. I just need the stadium to meet the requirements of staying in the Premier League. Mind you, in our last game, losing at home 0-4 to Manchester City (in City's previous match they tonked Norwich 7-1 so I was quite proud of that result), we broke our league attendance record, over 11K.

And then you get that stupid 'fans are annoyed at the sale of promising youngster X' media event, every time.

Even though that sale will keep the club afloat or buy the pressing forward who gets you promoted

1 hour ago, kentonizking said:

And then you get that stupid 'fans are annoyed at the sale of promising youngster X' media event, every time.

Even though that sale will keep the club afloat or buy the pressing forward who gets you promoted

Oh, every time. But even better is when the chairman sells your best player over your head in the last hour of transfer deadline day and then he and the fans spend the next six months blaming you for the downturn in form.

Well. The stadium expansion was completed on schedule, the day after our last 'home' game at Carrow Road. There was no mention that the 11,000 capacity doesn't meet Premier League regulations. A week later the board inform me we play next season at .... Carrow Road. That's it.

I insist we have to do something to meet PL regulations and the board immediately agrees that they will build a new stadium. So we built a stadium and played there for all of THREE YEARS, and now it's a white elephant. We'll have been at Carrow Road for three years before the second stadium is ready. I'm almost tempted to get us relegated just as it's completed (we finished 14th this season, bobbing between 13th and 17th the whole time)! Nah, maybe I'll keep us up just to bask in a Big TV at the new ground ;-)