EURO 2020(1?) football forum average draft

GunmaN1905

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends when my picks come around. I can manage if it's within 8pm GMT but would probably be asleep or picking completely random players if it's after that. :D

Then again, Kawee and adhikapp are in time zones that are even further ahead.

Edited by Darius1998

Alright, time to get things going. :cool:

Draft rules:

Max 1 player per nation

Max 2 players who won the EURO

Max 3 more players who appeared in semi-finals or final

For tournaments before 1980, you can select any player from nations that appeared in quarter-finals since there are no official squad lists. Players that played during those years, obviously. List of quarter-finalists for those tournaments is in spoiler:

Spoiler

1960:

image.png.8a4897214cb9e1eea959570d8df0fc0b.png

1964:

image.png.aa18df3305160bae2b1cd7c8e4f51e38.png

1968:

image.png.5a17257f08aadcbdd9e1d8d8cea44dc7.png

1972:

image.png.826db9bf146db1881ac1645c42d26862.png

1976:

image.png.507d309a78a974abd21432db39106845.png

For 1980 and after, you can select players from 23 man squads for those tournaments. As for winners and semi-finalists, anyone in 23man squad counts as one, regardless if he made an appearance in those games.

If you pick a player who played for more than one country, you use your slot for both of them, also applies to three countries mentioned below.

Rules for countries that split up at some point, Czechoslovakia, USSR and Yugoslavia:

Spoiler

If you pick a player who played for the union pre-split, you fill up the slot for the old country and his primary nationality country.

Blokhin for example means you used up your USSR and Ukraine slots. But you can still pick someone from post-split Russia, like Arshavin.

Note that Yugoslavia in 2000 was actually Serbia and Montenegro, so they don't count as old Yugoslavia, but Serbia.

Meaning you can pick a Croatian, Bosnian etc who played for pre-split Yugoslavia and a Serbian from EURO 2000.

Snake draft. 1st through 29th pick, then back around from 29th to 1st.
Because we have more teams than usual, from second round onwards, everyone picks two players per round.
First round is still only one player because otherwise it would be too big of an advantage for players with good starting spots.

Active hours picking window is from 8am to 10pm British time. During that window, you have 4h to pick after you get mentioned, otherwise you're penalized.
If you miss your 4h window during active hours the following player picks for you. You're at their mercy. If you're good friends with them, maybe you get another top class player for your team. If not, then enjoy an iconic member of 2004 Latvia team or maybe a scrub who lucked his way onto top country's roster, meaning you lost a slot for that country.

Same penalty applies if you mess up and break the team selection rules. The next contestant picks your player. But beware, if that player messes up picking for you, he also get penalized. This is a no nonsense draft.
Rules have to be followed!

Players who're not in European time zones can message me with up to 5 players for their next pick if they think that it will be their turn during active hours when they're not around.

When we get to knockout phase, winner can take 2 players from losing team. All within team selection rules, obviously.

Since we got 29 players I'm not sure if we should do knockouts with 3 BYEs or make groups with people voting for group order. But there will be time for that.

As for now, let the draft commence!

Draft order:

1. Weezer
2.Darius1998
3.Barry Cartman
4. Jorg
5. bestbrother
6. Baptista_8
7. Hazzaj
8. grff
9. Marius_R
10. PaulHartman71
11. Kawee
12. The Golden Boy
13. Butts
14. Haguey
15. Citizen Kane
16. Yuko
17. sjg11
18. adhikapp
19. managerdude_66
20. SLR88
21. Sano
22. trueblue.85
23. SouthCoastRed
24. MaxeyN17
25. Harryseaess
26. Scott1892
27. Crispypaul
28. XuluBak
29. Muzzza

@Weezer @Darius1998@Barry Cartman@Jorg@bestbrother@Baptista_8@Hazzaj@grff@Marius_R@PaulHartman71@Kawee@The Golden boy@Butts@Haguey@Citizen Kane@Yuko @sjg11@adhikapp@managerdude_66@SRL88@Sano@trueblue.85@SouthCoastRed@MaxeyN17@Harryseaess@Scott1892@Crispypaul@XuluBak@Muzzza

GLHF!

Edited by GunmaN1905

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Draft rules:

2 players who won the EURO

3 more players who appeared in semi-finals or final

In regards to these two rules, is that the maximum we’re allowed, or the minimum we must have?

2 minutes ago, Yuko said:

Middle of the pack.. Is that good or bad? :D 

Depends on how you build the team.

Top positions can get the best of the best with their first pick, but by the time it's back to them, everyone has 3 players.

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

78 players are going to be picked between my 1st and 2nd pick :D 

That's why it's called average draft. :kriss:

We always ended up with superteams and those Maradona-Messi-Neymar attacks.

2 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Are we picking a full XI? Or just 6 players in total?

Does that really have to be put in the rules? :lol:

Or is the 6 players just a limit of those rules, then the other 5 can be anyone from any team, not in that criteria?

It's 5 players within the rules.

2 winners and 3 more semi-finalists.

Then other 6 who didn't make it to semi-finals.

And 1 per nation.

Is my English that bad when it comes to explaining things or are you people just trolling me? :mad:
I can't comprehend that rules are so difficult to understand? :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

And 1 per nation.

Is my English that bad when it comes to explaining things or are you people just trolling me? :mad:

tbf you haven't really made it clear in the rules what the criteria is for the other 6 players :D

I assume the other 6 have to have been part of a Euro squad at some point, i.e you can't select a certain young some would say best player in the world because he hasn't played at a euro yet 

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

And 1 per nation.

No its probably me, I skim read everything in life. Anything that challenges my brain, I switch off :D

6 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I assume the other 6 have to have been part of a Euro squad at some point, i.e you can't select a certain young some would say best player in the world because he hasn't played at a euro yet 

<.<

Did you read the part about 1980 and onwards tournaments and 23man squads?

And pre-1980 quarterfinalists?

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

<.<

Did you read the part about 1980 and onwards tournaments and 23man squads?

And pre-1980 quarterfinalists?

Yeah but you make it sound like those are the rules for the 5 players, might want another bullet point just simply saying 'Min 6 Players from any previous non semi final/final squad' 

4 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

We’re draft neighbours again! 

Kawee being before me the other side should mean I’m making more picks in the morning than evening I imagine. 

Yes, I meant to say that, I was between you and Kawee in the other draft, now we're us three again, but in a different order. :D

Edited by Marius_R

Its not hard to understand to be fair, I think Gunman in his inexperience with making these types of threads, is expecting 29 people to read a big bunch of text, whereas I struggle to get people to read a 1 line bolded underlined rule :D 

Basically

• Pick a Squad of XI
  • Only players who have been part of a Euros Squad can be picked 
  • Max of 1 Player Per Nation
  • Max of 2 Players who have won the Euros as part of a Euros Squad
  • Max of 3 players who reached at least the Semi Final as part of a Euros Squad (the players you picked as winners don't count towards this)
  • Round 1 Users pick 1 player, Round 2 onwards they pick 2 players at a time in the usual snake 

Then theres a bunch of stuff about players who played for different nations etc that people can read about on their own if they care

Going to put this in the format:

1. Weezer - Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal);
2. Darius1998 - Robert Lewandowski (Poland);
3. Barry Cartman
4. Jorg
5. bestbrother
6. Baptista_8
7. Hazzaj
8. grff
9. Marius_R
10. PaulHartman71
11. Kawee
12. The Golden Boy
13. Butts
14. Haguey
15. Citizen Kane
16. Yuko
17. sjg11
18. adhikapp
19. managerdude_66
20. SLR88
21. Sano
22. trueblue.85
23. SouthCoastRed
24. MaxeyN17
25. Harryseaess
26. Scott1892
27. Crispypaul
28. XuluBak
29. Muzzza

@Barry Cartman

Weezer: 1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal);

Darius1998: 1. Robert Lewandowski (Poland);

Barry Cartman: 1. Lothar Matthäus (Germany);

Jorg:

bestbrother:

Baptista_8:

Hazzaj:

grff:

Marius_R:

PaulHartman71:

Kawee:

The Golden Boy:

Butts:

Haguey:

Citizen Kane:

Yuko:

sjg11:

adhikapp:

managerdude_66:

SRL88:

Sano:

trueblue.85:

SouthCoastRed:

MaxeyN17:

Harryseaess:

Scott1892:

Crispypaul:

XuluBak:

Muzzza:

7 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Its not hard to understand to be fair, I think Gunman in his inexperience with making these types of threads, is expecting 29 people to read a big bunch of text, whereas I struggle to get people to read a 1 line bolded underlined rule :D 

Basically

• Pick a Squad of XI
  • Only players who have been part of a Euros Squad can be picked 
  • Max of 1 Player Per Nation
  • Max of 2 Players who have won the Euros as part of a Euros Squad
  • Max of 3 players who reached at least the Semi Final as part of a Euros Squad (the players you picked as winners don't count towards this)
  • Round 1 Users pick 1 player, Round 2 onwards they pick 2 players at a time in the usual snake 

Then theres a bunch of stuff about players who played for different nations etc that people can read about on their own if they care

Yeah to be fair I get the rules now, just my brain struggles to process all of this at once and without doing a massive shortlist and cross referencing would be hard to work out who’s won the Euros, made the Semis etc and when as I can’t remember. I’ll just have to double check before I make picks after the 4th or 5th round :D 

Jorg hasn't even been on the site today. This could take a while. :D

As for Lewandowski, I picked him as I thought I wouldn't get a prolific striker by the time it returned to me and it lets me get one of the non-semifinalist nations out of the way early on too. Probably end up getting some duds from the bigger nations at the end though. :D

Edited by Darius1998