[Poll] What selectable option would you like to see in FM

What"difficulty" settings would help game experience to be more challenging?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The most essential setting to make game more challenging

• Player numerical attributes changed to verbal or colour indicator
    • Disable search players option
    • Disable reputation affecting AI match tactic selection.
    • Disable morale affecting game
    • None of the above. Say your suggestion?

Personally I choose 2 highest selections because I would want to believe 2 lowest selections could be improved with better AI and more complex tactical presentation inside matches.  But if that's not an option I would like to test version where teams play with their own style and not let reputation affect to the tactics.

Edit. Even when that would possibly mean realistic stats would not be possible to maintain.

Edited by Pasonen

I would like to see the numerical attributes be changed to a verbal presentation. Like a more thorough, yet somehow simple coach report.
But just as an option that could be set in the preferences, as it would be a major change. Especially for people who's been playing this series for decades.
At least in a transitional period over a couple of years.

Disabling the search players option is both yes and no. At the moment it feels like it's kind of an unneeded, expanded scouting center. At the same time i think it should be possible to search for players manually.
So i'm not quite sure how i would like it there.

Disable reputation affecting AI match tactic selection. Don't know. Take away that, as it currently is, could basically mean that everything loaded when starting a new save would go full detail.
If that was to be the case i wouldn't be for it as that would make it as good as unplayable for me the way i play the game.
At the same time i would like to see the game not rely on reputation as heavily as it does right now, but i don't have a clue how that would be done.

Disable morale affecting game. That's a big no from me. Morale is a massive part of a team's ups and downs.
From on-pitch performances to off-pitch speculation, rumours, internal disputes etc. 

An easy option regarding players ratings display is like other sport sims like OOTP use, that is that you can change anytime in the interface options the ratings scale, from 1 to 100, 1 to 20, 1 to 10 or 1 to 5 for example (they have weird scales only used by baseball scouts like 2 to 8 and 20 to 80 as well for those wanting extra realism).

1 to 5 would be already a more challenging game as most of players will have similar ratings except the extremes.

As it's just a display feature, it requires minimum changes, only to the interface. But the AI would still use the full scale as it does right now, that in fact is not even 1-20 as humans but 1-200 if I remember well. It would make the game more challenging for the users on a very easy way, while not handicapping the AI. In fact I really wonder why is not already an option when SI knows about this from the times when OOTP was part of SI and it's easy to code as in fact it's already there, translating the 1-200 internal scale to 1-20 that we see.

Edited by Icy

I'd like the option where you can't control all aspects of staff responsibilities - in real life the director of football at certain clubs has control of a number of aspects at a club yet on FM you can simply override him. It would also help make the game more challenging at certain clubs. Also the shouts need improving, some almost always come back with the same results and it's too easy to expolit and they wear off all at the same time.

Also the attributes need overhauling as they tend to be static. If a forward has '15' for finishing but has two seasons where he doesn't hit a barn door on newly released versions of the game that attribute will usually take a hit, yet in game if that happens it will usually stay the same (unless he's a younger/older player). So they should move up and down more based on form on over a period of time. 

Or/and having the attributes numbered in relevance to your league, so that way you can't just see all the top wonderkids and you have to rely more on your scouting team and judging a player more on his form, personality and medical history.

Edited by silentwars

AI clubs buying players based on stats not rep & value. I get sick of seeing a striker bang in 20+ goals a season, get player of the year and so on, only to see some kid from QPR's reserve get signed for 30 million, play4 games over 3 seasons and released on a free and end up back at QPR

Out of those I'd choice "None of the above" simply because moral and player reputation does have an impact on games and player selection, however, I do wonder it would be possible to reduce the impact of those. Maybe a hidden attribute could be added that is something along the lines of "Likes to play high rep. players" (not sure if something already exists)

It could even be an attribute from the Owner/Chairmen who likes to see the World Stars players and if you don't play them it can affect the Board Confidence/Performance Criteria, again not sure if something already exists have played FM21 that much.

I would keep CA and PA but would COMPLETELY hide PA for both the player and the AI.

This would mean managers would look at CA relative to age plus players' personalities to find the best youth prospects, just like in real life.

Edited by tiotom92

I wouldn't say disable morale impacting the game - but I would reduce its importance.  The 10+ games without losing are too common (which forms a big part of the "too easy" argument) - and conversely long losing runs can happen if you're not careful - and I think irl they happen less. I know you can look at a Bolton on the good side and a Derby on the negative side this season, but most teams will have a 4-6 game good/bad patch and then things will change.  I have to admit, when I have long runs either way like this, I tend to lose interest as it feels off.

I would say complacency is something that I'd like to see factor in more to make it more realistic and challenging.  At times before a big game (e.g. a Champions League semi-final) we might see that - but 5+ wins in a row vs a team near the bottom in rubbish form who will be scratching and clawing for every ball, I think irl there are "surprise" results like this every week.  So reduce morale importance, increase complacency and increase teams out of form getting to a point where they fight like mad to find some form.

Reputation wise, I struggle a bit with international management or games in Europe with a smaller/lower rep club - just how to play it.  Sometimes I'll beat a team with a much stronger rep - other teams we haven't got over the half way line.  So, I don't know how much of a factor it really is - sometimes it feels like it's OP - others not.  Anyway, disable - again, no - but I would like improvements in scouting reports to give a more accurate indication of how good the oppo is compared to my team - what I see in them right now I feel like I can't trust and go into these kinds of games very uncertain.  This is particularly the case with international management, which as I and others have mentioned in the suggestions part of the forum, needs some love from SI.

Changing attributes from numbers would be a big change.  I was playing CM from near the start and CM03/04 for many years off and on before FM19 and I would struggle if they did that, although it would be more accessable perhaps for new players.  Maybe an option either way would work.

On 13/05/2021 at 09:51, silentwars said:

I'd like the option where you can't control all aspects of staff responsibilities - in real life the director of football at certain clubs has control of a number of aspects at a club yet on FM you can simply override him. It would also help make the game more challenging at certain clubs.

This should be part of the hiring process.  Some clubs already ask the player to commit to retaining certain staff. 

In an ideal world I'd like FM to split the manager role up, where some clubs hire old-style managers and others hire head coaches.  I'd also like to be able to take jobs as a DoF or technical director.  FM's interpretation of the manager is a role that's very rare these days at the top level. 

13 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

This should be part of the hiring process.  Some clubs already ask the player to commit to retaining certain staff. 

In an ideal world I'd like FM to split the manager role up, where some clubs hire old-style managers and others hire head coaches.  I'd also like to be able to take jobs as a DoF or technical director.  FM's interpretation of the manager is a role that's very rare these days at the top level. 

Agree, I think if you agree to work with a director then they should hold responsibilities that you can't change though. As things stand you can simply override them 

4 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Agree, I think if you agree to work with a director then they should hold responsibilities that you can't change though. As things stand you can simply override them 

And there should be some fluidity built in there.  Arsenal hired Mikel Arteta as a head coach under Raul Sanllehi as DoF and Edu Gaspar as Technical Director.  Raul left/was fired, and at the end of the season Arteta was promoted to manager.  And it's now unclear whether he works for Edu or vice versa - it's entirely possible he's now the technical director's boss. 

There does probably need to be a look at how managers and clubs fit together before any of this happens.  The situation where a hugely successful manager can't get a pay raise off their current club suggests there's some wonkiness behind the scenes there; it's just not affecting very much yet.

I think morale should impact the game, just not quite as much as it does.

My suggestion would be to set training based on a percentage of available time method (ex. 20% physical, 15% tactics, 10% possession, 7% corners, etc.) as opposed to scheduling three sessions per day everyday. Setting training would require so much less micromanagement, especially with fixture schedule changes, and it would make the game feel like less of a chore.

I would also like fewer contract options. Bonuses are cool and all, but we're at the point where it's a clickfest to negotiate a contract and the math is overly complicated.