Ideal Highlight Level

I wonder if selecting Extended highlights may help me to win more games. It seems I can see more of the match, and miss out if it's on Key Highlights, but does it really make a difference? How do you choose your highlight level? Any tips are appreciated.

4 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I wonder if selecting Extended highlights may help me to win more games. It seems I can see more of the match, and miss out if it's on Key Highlights, but does it really make a difference? How do you choose your highlight level? Any tips are appreciated.

It makes a big difference to me. I use comprehensive highlights in pre-season friendlies and early season when I'm tweaking tactics and bedding in new players, and again in really tough matches, ones in which every tiny tweak might make the difference. Then I go to Extended when I might only make a handful of tactical changes, then Key if I'm on a winning run and not being challenged. However, after 13 seasons of Easy Street I've just won my first promotion to the Premier League and it's a different ball-game. All games in Comprehensive and re-watching the highlights in extended with different camera angles. I'm looking for the holes in my tactics that opponents are exploiting, understanding the different styles I'm up against, the difference on the pitch between my players' roles and duties, my OIs, all that.

In short, depends on how challenging the fixtures are.

5 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I wonder if selecting Extended highlights may help me to win more games. It seems I can see more of the match, and miss out if it's on Key Highlights, but does it really make a difference?

Depends on how good you are at identifying issues the match engine is showing you. Some people may spot issues immediately even on Key, others may struggle to understand what they're watching even on Comprehensive.

Personally, I'd recommend watching the first 15-20 minutes on Full (w/ increased speed). That way you can see your transitions in full and spot issues before they even become highlights. If you're happy with how things are going, you can then safely change to Extended or Key, since things are unlikely to change much in terms of tactics.

When developing a new tactic or playing a tricky opponent I watch the first 10-15 mins of each match in full.  This allows me to see if my players are playing as expected.  If not I'll make an adjustment.  Once happy I'll switch to key highlights. 

imo those first 10-15 mins of a match are the most important, yet any other highlight mode won't show them.  Better to see your fullback getting repeatedly skinned at the start rather than 30 mins in when they score a goal from it because you haven't been shown it happening.

I use more extended Highlight modes when developing a new tactic and switch to key highlights later on in the season.

I don’t think there Is a difference to the final result just from which highlight mode you use. Tho extending the highlights can help you to better understand what’s going on and make changes.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've been applying them, and results have been better for sure.

In particular, I've been following @Zemahh suggestion to run 20 minutes in Full (fast speed) - it helps, even as the game dynamics may completely change later on. The key, as you point out, is to be able to spot weaknesses and opportunities. Sometimes Comprehensive suffices, sometimes you need to set it to Full to be able to spot all the details, specially in important matches.  

Thanks.

Edited by phd_angel

full but speed up 3 notches in the beginning then extended up 2 notches once im satisfied. i would prefer comprehensive because extended doesn't show as many highlights as older FMs but comprehensive keeps showing pointless offsides in which is super annoying. 

Edited by fraudiola

When you watch extended or full - What sort of changes do you do then and how often? Is there any benefits to changing tactical instructions often during a match. Would it not be better to do those changes before the match started?

I do changes between matches instead of during the match, to improve the game in the next match. I play on key highlights without replays,  I sometimes go away from the computer during the first half.

I have been down 0 - 2 at half time and won 3-2 simply by doing 2 substitutes and doing a good team talk. But Ive also been 2-0 up at half time and lost 4-3.

1 hour ago, Speedyol said:

When you watch extended or full - What sort of changes do you do then and how often? Is there any benefits to changing tactical instructions often during a match. Would it not be better to do those changes before the match started?

I do changes between matches instead of during the match, to improve the game in the next match. I play on key highlights without replays,  I sometimes go away from the computer during the first half.

I have been down 0 - 2 at half time and won 3-2 simply by doing 2 substitutes and doing a good team talk. But Ive also been 2-0 up at half time and lost 4-3.

Not sure how to answer. Zeland (FM YouTuber) proposes, like you, that no changes be made during the match. I agree that this game is not FIFA 2020 foot-to-foot click-fest, but some adjustments and, specially, halfway speeches are necessary. Maybe other people have different takes. Thanks.