4231 Help Please

Hello, in the mid 2030s I've  taken the manager's job at FCUM, who are underperforming in mid table despite having the second highest wage budget in the National League.  I was hoping to use a 433 which I had success with at Fylde (thanks to help from here which was invaluable) but as my star player is my AMC and I don't have a decent DM I've been trying to get 4231 to work, with mixed success.  I have a lot of possession but having problems turning it into shots.   In summary, the tactic seems just a bit meh and not as good as it should be with the quality of players I've got and I'm stumped on how to get more from it

Here's my setup, although I'm only a few games in and still experimenting with some team instructions, but not found anything to improve performances:

DLF(a)

IF(s)   AM(a)   W(a)

BBM(s)  CM(d) (would prefer a playmaker but don't have anyone creative enough)

FB(a) CD(d) CD(d)  FB(s)

GK(d)

Mentality: Positive

In possession: Wide (to stretch the opposition), Play for set pieces (I have a giant, aggressive, brave CB who is potentially a threat), Work ball into box (mainly to slow things down so my support players can get involved in attacks.  It does seem to get me a few penalties as a bonus).

Transition: Counter

Out of possession: Higher DL, More urgent pressing.

Ideally as well as getting better results I'd also satisfy the board's desire for high tempo pressing football, although that's only  preferred.  Any and all advice is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, I'd just switch the two CM roles

CM(D) on the left to cover the the left FB(A) & the BBM(S)  on the right so he can get forward inside the right W(A) & not get in the way of the IF(S) & has the more conservative FB on his side of the pitch  

• 1 month later...

Apologies for reviving this request for help.  I'm managing in Scotland in the mid 2030s, having taken over Ross County who are a top six side following a wealthy takeover.  My issue is I'm not scoring enough, goals for and against are both low, and what I  can't  work out is how to up the goals for while staying tightish at the back.  Here's  my usual current setup:

AF(a)

IF(s)   AM(s)   W(a)

DLP(d)  BBM(s)

FB(a)  CD(d)  CD(d)  FB(s)

GK(d)

Mentality: Balanced

In possession: Wide

Out of posession: Lower LoE, more urgent pressing.

I suspect I'm too Cconservative, but everything I've tried fails to convert draws into wins, and seems more likely to turn those draws into defeats.  I've tried upping the mentality, the LoE/DL, tweaking player roles and duties, and improving the squad.  Is there anything else I can try, or anything I've already tried that is worth giving another go, or a combination, etc to make the football more exciting, and for the team to actually look likely to break a deadlock?

On 04/07/2021 at 19:18, ThunderCelt said:

Apologies for reviving this request for help.  I'm managing in Scotland in the mid 2030s, having taken over Ross County who are a top six side following a wealthy takeover.  My issue is I'm not scoring enough, goals for and against are both low, and what I  can't  work out is how to up the goals for while staying tightish at the back.  Here's  my usual current setup:

AF(a)

IF(s)   AM(s)   W(a)

DLP(d)  BBM(s)

GK(d)

I suspect I'm too Cconservative, but everything I've tried fails to convert draws into wins, and seems more likely to turn those draws into defeats.  I've tried upping the mentality, the LoE/DL, tweaking player roles and duties, and improving the squad.  Is there anything else I can try, or anything I've already tried that is worth giving another go, or a combination, etc to make the football more exciting, and for the team to actually look likely to break a deadlock?

Try adding 'More Direct Passing' or 'Higher Tempo'. Your two attacking roles in the last third are both very direct (Advanced Forward + Winger on attack), and with your 'Lower LoE', there should be ample space for them to move into to latch onto more direct balls. 

On 04/07/2021 at 19:18, ThunderCelt said:

AF(a)

IF(s)   AM(s)   W(a)

DLP(d)  BBM(s)

GK(d)

Why top 6 team playing Lower LOE? Why Balanced? Why Countering into deep set blocks? Why AF when you have no space? You'll need to adjust based on opponent but don't play so defensive against weaker teams. I like this better than playing 6 attack duties and being surprised but at some point you can't expect to play with a good team a tactic reliant on space. This is seen in real life as well.

On 06/07/2021 at 07:41, Christopher S said:

Your two attacking roles in the last third are both very direct (Advanced Forward + Winger on attack)

This is the big issue for me, espceically as you are one of the top teams in your division. My way of overcoming it would be to change the roles around on your front 4, rather than going to a more direct system. I would change the winger and lone striker to support duty, and put the AML to an Attack duty, with the AMC operating as a Shadow Striker. This would mean that the striker would drop away from the opposition centre halves, either pulling them out of position to create space for the IF(A) and SS(A) making runs into the box, or the DCs would let the striker go at which point he is in space to receive the ball.

@Christopher S and @MessiMessiMessi thank you for your advice.  I  think you're both telling me to be more aggressive which is working, a lot of draws have become wins, and only a few have become losses so I've climbed from 6th to 4th (predicted 4th, board wants Euro qualifcation which is 5th) and my fans are also happy with the better entertainment.

@facman that looks logical thank you and I'll try it, although as its a change of roles and duties I'll wait till pre-season to experiment rather than mid way through.

I'm used to my team now and a big factor has been my lone striker who will either get a hit trick or have trouble finding a barn door, so presumably has consistency problems and needs replacing.

4 hours ago, ThunderCelt said:

@Christopher S and @MessiMessiMessi thank you for your advice.  I  think you're both telling me to be more aggressive which is working, a lot of draws have become wins, and only a few have become losses so I've climbed from 6th to 4th (predicted 4th, board wants Euro qualifcation which is 5th) and my fans are also happy with the better entertainment.

@facman that looks logical thank you and I'll try it, although as its a change of roles and duties I'll wait till pre-season to experiment rather than mid way through.

I'm used to my team now and a big factor has been my lone striker who will either get a hit trick or have trouble finding a barn door, so presumably has consistency problems and needs replacing.

Glad things are working better for you. It’s not a bad idea to do major changes in the off-season, although I usually use my 3rd tactic as an experimental one that I change around during the season.

Don’t forget that morale and motivation can affect a striker’s output as much as the opposition players. Joshua King was my backup striker last season and he came into the starting 11 due to injury having gone 9 hours without a goal. Eventually after much psychological ‘bigging-up’ he got a tap-in, and then proceeded to bang in a goal in 5 consecutive games. Using the correct shout in a game can work wonders