Rarely used roles /duties

50 minutes ago, Red Horizon said:

What do you think are the roles/duties that you rarely see people use? 

Libero would be the first that comes to mind.

Also Complete forward. I'm using one despite the one red slice in the preferred role tray.

On 07/05/2021 at 00:37, Red Horizon said:

What do you think are the roles/duties that you rarely see people use? 

Seconding the no nonsense fullback. 

Wide target men are very rare too although I've been trialled it out a couple of times to mixed success. 

Enganche's seem relatively rare too although I'm currently using Pascal Gross in my Kiel team as one as he suits the role perfectly. He's not quite the focal point I'd like but he's not peripheral. 

Personally, it's been a very long time since I've used a trequartista and there is something about an inverted wingback that makes my eye twitch so I've stayed away from them too. Seem all the rage this version though. 

17 hours ago, silentwars said:

Don't think I've ever seen anyone use a 'No nonsense fullback' 

I used them in the early days of my San Marino challenge - because, well, we were rubbish!!

2 hours ago, tiotom92 said:

No nonsense full-back are good for low-block tactics.

Which is absolutely why they're rarely used lol.

No one on the last few versions of FM are aiming to stay with a low block. The end goal for most people is a high block, high pressing system.

I'd say from a personal standpoint, I can't remember the last time I used a poacher. I'm always looking for a bit more from my striker, and for the most part I play with a 1 striker system.

33 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

No one on the last few versions of FM are aiming to stay with a low block. The end goal for most people is a high block, high pressing system.

Which quickly gets boring and predictable, in my view. As others have said, some of these roles are best for poor teams. I always start out as a lower league manager and you want to give your idiot kids one simple instruction each, so non-nonsense all sorts and poachers suit beautifully. I've taken my Level 13 bunch of amateurs right up to the Premier League in my current save, and one of the best parts has been evolving my tactics, moving away from those simplistic roles to discovering the fancy-dan exotic ones. Just this week I started using a player as a Libero - first time in 20 years playing this game, mainly because I've never progressed this far before.

On 13/05/2021 at 16:29, silentwars said:

Don't think I've ever seen anyone use a 'No nonsense fullback' 

20 hours ago, causeforconcern said:

Seconding the no nonsense fullback

17 hours ago, obasa_G said:

3. No-nonsense full back

You guys have never played non-league in England !

1 hour ago, warlock said:

You guys have never played non-league in England !

I play lower league but never in England. Well at least not after FM07. The talent in division three of Spain/France/Germany/Italy are usually decent enough not to have to use no nonsense fullbacks and I can't really think of a tactical approach where it would make sense to have them. Maybe I'll try shoehorn one in to say I've at least tried though haha. 

When you use the lower league add-on files you see that down in level 10 or so most goals come from defensive howlers. No-nonsense defenders minimise your blunders. Having them welly the ball up the pitch in the vague direction of your poacher is a very effective tactic. The lad with his Finishing of 3 can fill his boots!

11 hours ago, silentwars said:

I still prefer to use a standard fullback at that level, as you can decide what PI's he will have and not be limited to the ones set with the NNFB.

Well I'm talking about players with attributes fewer than the fingers on one hand. PIs are of limited usefulness at that level. I play those games with a Graham Taylor voice in my head: "Get rid!" "Hit Les!" "Do I not like that!"

Edited by phnompenhandy

On 06/05/2021 at 14:29, phnompenhandy said:

Libero would be the first that comes to mind.

Also Complete forward. I'm using one despite the one red slice in the preferred role tray.

My Libero is an essential part of my formation for the past two versions. I play 2 CBs with a Libero in between, two attacking wingbacks, two center mids, two wide forwards and a center forward. I've tried dropping the Libero and moving the "extra man" to every other position and none bring the same balance to the side. 

39 minutes ago, r0x0r said:

My Libero is an essential part of my formation for the past two versions. I play 2 CBs with a Libero in between, two attacking wingbacks, two center mids, two wide forwards and a center forward. I've tried dropping the Libero and moving the "extra man" to every other position and none bring the same balance to the side. 

I'm using a Libero in the centre of a back 3 in a flat 5-3-2 with wingbacks. I got promoted to the Premier League and found I wasn't creating or scoring but I couldn't afford to compromise in defence, so after a lot of experimenting I found converting a CD to attacking Libero allowed me to convert a midfield support duty to attacking. I do pay the price in conceding goals due to the Libero being caught upfield but overall the balance is better.

17 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm using a Libero in the centre of a back 3 in a flat 5-3-2 with wingbacks. I got promoted to the Premier League and found I wasn't creating or scoring but I couldn't afford to compromise in defence, so after a lot of experimenting I found converting a CD to attacking Libero allowed me to convert a midfield support duty to attacking. I do pay the price in conceding goals due to the Libero being caught upfield but overall the balance is better.

I'm gonna try this, I love the idea of a libero