Help! Just broke a promise to a new signing :(

So I just brought in a new frontman, a wonderkid. One of his contract promises was to strengthen the defence. Well, I totally forgot, was scouting for a young goalkeeper, now he has spat his dummy out and has requested to leave !

Can I do anything to sweeten him up? Or just leave him to rot in the U23s until he gets his transfer?

This is just after the mid-season transfer window, so I have some time till end of season to try and sort it out.

Any help please people?

Regards...

This has happened to me a few times.  I find that if you just carry on playing him and if he sees the team doing well, eventually he may be happy at the club again.  I think it's a real problem if he is close to the end of his contract - then you'd probably lose him due to his unhappiness.  But if he has a few years on his contract i'd just carry on as normal with him.  Keep him in the team etc and hopefully he'll come to his senses after a while.  Praise him after training/good games etc as well.

This needs toning down on FM22. 

‘Hey you didn’t strengthen the defence, I want to leave’.

Has probably never been uttered by a new signing, yet it happens all the time on FM. Ridiculous. 

Many promises that are suggested at contract negotiations ( like this one ) are impossible to quantify and IMO should be avoided totally.  I also suggest that it is pretty unreasonable for any young player to make those sorts of demands when joining  a new team and even more unreasonable that he would want to leave if they are not realised.  This module I think could could with some tuning.  I have found that accepting wage demands will go a long way to overcoming and therefore deleting any other non financial demands at contract time.

Just buy defenders during next transfer window and he'll became happy.

In 98% of contracts it is possible to remove all those nonsense from negotiations, so I practice that. No promises at all.

Sometimes it's possible to do for "free", sometimes you need to "pay" with higher playing time, but that's ok. you can "demote" him in few months, 

speaking about FM2020, don't know if anything changed in 21 in that regard, but knowing SI, most like - not...

• Administrators

In fairness those promises were put into the game based on conversations we'd had with a number of people within the football industry - so whilst it may seem unrealistic that a young player would make that kind of demand, it's always funny to actually hear what goes on behind closed doors! 

If you can remove promises then it's one less thing to keep, but sometimes they can be a great way of encouraging a player to join (or even reduce their wage demands) if they're having doubts.