What role should be assigned to the DM here?

Thanks for replies.  I noticed a DM/DLP is the go-to role here in plenty of tactics but I found the DM tended to go forward more as zzZzZzZz mentioned.   I was concerned about space behind him.   I was considering an Achorman.   I'm off to watch what the wingers get up to when the DM joins in the attack.

I suggest a holding DM role for this attacking mentality tactic. IWBs' with this high mentality can take more risks & support attacks more. This can create a weakness in your central midfield if you don't use a holding midfielder. But if it is a top team; a DMs can work well against most opponents.

13 hours ago, FarisMee said:

What DM role best suits this tactic?

I'd pick a half back who drops back between central defenders when in possession. Both your IWB's will occupy central midfield. Another idea is to play a SV on Attack, that might be too aggressive tho as im note sure how well defensive wingers will cover

//nvm, SV not available

Edited by CARRERA

13 hours ago, FarisMee said:

What DM role best suits this tactic?   The CM(att) when we're in possession is off like a flash rushing towards goal and bags his fair share of goals along with the two Shadow strikers.   

DM.png

With your up-top central players all on attack, 'attacking mentality', much higher tempo and counter attack, you are looking for very quick counterattacking, trying to catch your opponent off-guard before he can recover his shape.  Your players will be taking quick chances, a lot of which will fail.  You will not be trying to build up play very much.  I would not use a DLP, because a DLP is a playmaking ball magnet who will often hold up play, plus you will have a big gap in the central midfield between the DLP, who often comes deep to get the ball, and the CM, who is on attack.  Also, you want a type of player who can arrive late in the penalty box to knock in a rebound or errant ball.  I think that you could try a BWM, who will aid in winning the ball back and spurring quick counter attacks. 

With the two defensive wingers and two IWBs on support, you might not even need a DM and could try to put the BWM in the CM strata alongside the CM(a).   But note that your defensive block is pretty wide (standard DL and much higher LOE), which will make it harder for you to win the ball back and will allow a lot more space to opponents in the midfield.  If your CBs are quick enough, and possibly you need a good SK, you might want to try a higher DL, or lower the LOE a little.  

Also, you don't really have anyone out wide to make counter attacking crosses or to stretch your opponent's defense.  If your opponent gets his fullbacks forwards, you are not taking advantage of the space which he is leaving open.  Could you put one of your fullbacks on WB(s) or FB(a) and have him overlap the DW?  Or make one of the wingers a W(s) or WTM?

Of course, all of this depends upon how your players match up against your opponents.

On 01/05/2021 at 16:45, Experienced Defender said:

SV is available only in systems with 2 or more DMs. The OP's formation has only 1.

You can use an SV as a single DM, but they have to be in the LDM/RDM slot. Similar to Mezzala's in the CM strata. 

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.    Seems I should be thinking more defensively for the DM instead of offensively.      I'm playing 1st season FM21 Leeds.    I switched to a RPM & just as you guys said I noticed the IWBs fishing around in the same area getting tangled up.   So based on the formation above what's the effect of a DM HALF BACK vs ANCHORMAN here?  

10 minutes ago, FarisMee said:

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.    Seems I should be thinking more defensively for the DM instead of offensively.      I'm playing 1st season FM21 Leeds.    I switched to a RPM & just as you guys said I noticed the IWBs fishing around in the same area getting tangled up.   So based on the formation above what's the effect of a DM HALF BACK vs ANCHORMAN here?  

Half back when utilizing IWBs and anchor when using wide roles.

Yes.  I see the Half back has left room for the IWBs to operate.   Should I waste one of my better creative players as a half-back or find a more DC/DM mentality player?

Edited by FarisMee
typos