Few pointers and tips based on my personally

I'm managing in Australia.  Due to restrictions I'm very limited in what I can do squad wise. Can only have 5 foreign and you cant buy from other teams in the league. So choices are 5 foreign players, youth players and any free Austrlians I can pick up.

I won the league last year but had a wonderkid striker whose now left for PSG and Pukki. They both smashed the goals in. 

I've not been able to replace them adequately, managed to get a player on loan from Argentina but not to the leveling I had.

My squad make up is

3 ageing fullbacks who lack pace. I have them on support fb however their traits are get forward. 

CB, Im ok here 2 good ball playing ex prem players backed up by 4 good youngest who lack decisions so make mistakes.

One ex prem box to box hes good at everything.

3 youngest who are excellent passes but offer little else.

1 cdm whose legs are going he can tackle but cant pass

4 young wingers all are really fast,  great agility. They are all ok at dribbling, but cant shot, or cross. One is developing nicely and think he could become a star.

Strikers, I have one regen whose a bit like Teddy Sheringham, his traits are plays 1-2s and arrives late in box. He slow, lacks strength. Finishing is average but he had really good off the ball, good passing and good long shots.

Striker I have the loan player he got good pace, dribbling,finishing and passing and likes to play 1-2s.

I also got a rapid finisher coming next window who was a throne in my side on a previous save in South Africa where he scored every time against me getting in behind.

I've been trying to play counter attacking to utilise the pace out wide with a 4411,442 or 4141 I have best xg in the league, most passes completed ,most crosses. However we simply cant score. Most games are ending in 0-1 defeats or 1-1. I'm not after a tactic just pointers if I'm on the right track with what I'm trying to achieve given my personal. 

Both tactics contain a number of flaws IMHO. We can discuss them in more detail tomorrow, if you are interested. 

38 minutes ago, Safe Hands said:

the roles are not set in stone, I have been changing the strikers especially. I dropped the 442 but it was the same as the 4411 only a DLF on support rather than the AM

Making changes often is never a good idea, especially when you do that on a random basis. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Both tactics contain a number of flaws IMHO. We can discuss them in more detail tomorrow, if you are interested. 

Making changes often is never a good idea, especially when you do that on a random basis. 

Please. I'm getting better by reading the forums and actually on a great run now but not blowing anybody away, just scraping. I have dropped the prevent gk on 4141 no idea why it was there. 

7 hours ago, Safe Hands said:

I have dropped the prevent gk on 4141 no idea why it was there

That's definitely a good move and one of the things I would have suggested anyway, because the instruction makes very little sense when you use a formation with fewer than 3 players up front. 

Before discussing the rest, I need to ask you a couple of questions in relation to your line of reasoning:

1. Why two different formations (not just tactics), especially when both tactic belong to the essentially same core style of football (defensive)?

2. Why (so) different team mentalities (Positive vs Cautious)  in these 2 tactics?

2nd in my Asian champions league formation.  The registration doesn't allow me to have youth players and only 3 of my foreigners. Until next stage I dont have a striker and having to play a winger up front and dont have a am basically 5 of my starting 11 cant play in Champions league. It's worked well I've won 4 out of 4. Next round I'll be able to add a striker and couple cms. I also switch to the 4141 to see out games I'm winning. 

If it matters I've recruited 2 new players. A fast striker whose a poacher/Advanced forward and a left winger who excellent for the level , out and out winger 1 footed,  good crossing and dribbling and bags of pace. I'm on a great run since getting these 2.