Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Defending corners, how successful would marking far post combined with zonally marking near post be?

My usual go to was to put my centre backs on mark near and far post zonally and mark both posts usually with full backs. But I noticed that sometimes when the ball went into the centre of the penalty area or the edge that the opposition would have an advantage in numbers and shots from that region would often result in a goal.

So I wondered if maybe that was overkill on the posts and it might be more efficient to put my best aerial duellist on mark near zonally and tell the other centre back to mark tall in the box given that the ball seldom reaches the far post on corners. This has the additional benefit of not feeling as though I have to tell one striker to go back, not doing which leads to some explosive counters.

I also used to put a player in the centre of the 6 yard box but I think that may also be unnecessary given that my keeper (18 aerial reach, 17 command of area, 18 strength, 18 bravery, 16 handling) should be able to come for those crosses.

Take a look at my FM18 set up for a 442 diamond and tell me what you'd do differently. I wish I could be more particular about who stood where, like the STL standing on the left instead of right, the DR standing on the far right rather than far left, the 2 MCs swapped.

20210428195755_1.jpg

Edited by Domus Clamantium
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Domus Clamantium said:

Defending corners, how successful would marking far post combined with zonally marking near post be?

My usual go to was to put my centre backs on mark near and far post zonally and mark both posts usually with full backs. But I noticed that sometimes when the ball went into the centre of the penalty area or the edge that the opposition would have an advantage in numbers and shots from that region would often result in a goal.

So I wondered if maybe that was overkill on the posts and it might be more efficient to put my best aerial duellist on mark near zonally and tell the other centre back to mark tall in the box given that the ball seldom reaches the far post on corners. This has the additional benefit of not feeling as though I have to tell one striker to go back, not doing which leads to some explosive counters.

I also used to put a player in the centre of the 6 yard box but I think that may also be unnecessary given that my keeper (18 aerial reach, 17 command of area, 18 strength, 18 bravery, 16 handling) should be able to come for those crosses.

Take a look at my FM18 set up for a 442 diamond and tell me what you'd do differently. I wish I could be more particular about who stood where, like the STL standing on the left instead of right, the DR standing on the far right rather than far left, the 2 MCs swapped.

20210428195755_1.jpg

In FM, I think most people will agree that not marking both posts is better for defending corners as you can easily catch attacking players offside making it slightly harder for them to time their runs. If you have a GK that is strong aerially, the opposing team stand very little chance delivering their corners too close to the goal so there is not much benefit marking both posts. However defending zonally the near post and the far post is very crucial. Put your two best headers there. The centre zonal area is a bit debatable. Some people will argue that if you have a GK that can come out to collect crosses there is little need of putting an extra defender there. Defending the edge of area is an area that many players missed out so you are good to go. Personally I put two players there so that I am a bit more secure in that area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't marked the posts in donkeys years. I go MR/DC/MC/DC/ML across the 5 zonal positions, DR/DL man mark, 2 on the edge of the area and one staying forwards. Gives me plenty of defensive cover across the 6 yard box and 3 players who can spring a counter attack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2021 at 10:17, zyfon5 said:

In FM, I think most people will agree that not marking both posts is better for defending corners as you can easily catch attacking players offside making it slightly harder for them to time their runs. If you have a GK that is strong aerially, the opposing team stand very little chance delivering their corners too close to the goal so there is not much benefit marking both posts. However defending zonally the near post and the far post is very crucial. Put your two best headers there. The centre zonal area is a bit debatable. Some people will argue that if you have a GK that can come out to collect crosses there is little need of putting an extra defender there. Defending the edge of area is an area that many players missed out so you are good to go. Personally I put two players there so that I am a bit more secure in that area. 

Do you leave the far post unmarked or the near one, then? Or neither?

Also how many guys do you recommend outside the box on attacking corners? 2 lurking outside and one on edge of the box? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ripamon said:

Do you leave the far post unmarked or the near one, then? Or neither?

Also how many guys do you recommend outside the box on attacking corners? 2 lurking outside and one on edge of the box? 

Both posts unmarked.

How you set up your attacking corners depends on the players you have. But most players will agree that in FM near post routines are your best bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

Both posts unmarked.

How you set up your attacking corners depends on the players you have. But most players will agree that in FM near post routines are your best bet.

Damn, that seems brave 

What do you with the extra 2 men then? I'm assuming you put one of them to go forward, and then the other?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use zonal marking, with five across the 6-yard box, three "go back," one at the edge of the area, and leave my best attacking threat forward. I might make slight modifications on that, but never put anyone on either post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ripamon said:

Damn, that seems brave 

What do you with the extra 2 men then? I'm assuming you put one of them to go forward, and then the other?

Refer to my previous comment. I generally leave one player staying forward and two players at the edge of the box. Others will defend with a mix of zonal and man marking. My two best headers will be zonally marking near post and far post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically it boils down to your keepers aerial reach, handling and command of area, because this will determine if you he needs help in the central area of the box(6C).

 

There are 3 main ways all 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. You can go full zonal, full man marking or you can do a mix of both. Both full zonal and man marking need a really commanding keeper to take control of the area. The full man marking one will need you to set which players are marking tall. You can only assign 2 players here, the rest of the team can be set to man mark, and its a lottery who they pick.

You can also do a mix where you mark 6F, 6N and depending on the keeper 6C. And then you assign two to MM and another two to MT to act as blockers. Since you already have assigned two players to 6F and 6N the 2xMT will follow their tall targets and provide a block should they get near the 6F and 6N spots. This tends to be the best defensive corner set up in my opinion. In the 6F and 6N spots I normally place my DCs and then assign players who can mark to the MT positions and then usually the two fullbacks to MM and 2 edge of area  and one striker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...