Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, orlyzao said:

You can tell by that fact that he's obsessed over people calling FM a spreadsheet simulator, even if it's nothing more than just a lighthearted joke. [1][2][3][4][5] 

They also revamped the preferences tab last year for no good reason and called it a feature. It looks worse now imo, a popout with huge waste of lateral space, although I should add that the search function definitely came in handy. But if we look at the preferences tab in FM14 can you guys honestly tell me it did not look cleaner than what we have now? Obviously not a big issue, but why change something that was perfectly fine?

I think this is the frustration. The endless game of snakes and ladders around bits of the UI that didn’t need time and attention.  

Even the notion of “gesturing”/body language is a near like-for-like replacement of verbal tone (I.e a relationship modifier for the content of a message), but yet gets dressed up as a new ‘feature.’ Sorry to be blunt, but that’s less a new feature, and more a glorified copywriting edit. 

Why not spend time in areas that need to be developed? 

Make training genuinely compelling, rather than a spreadsheet chore.

Integrate this with a sense of club culture, academy philosophy etc. 

Give data scientists/analysts an actual reason-for-being in the game

Clean up the bug-ridden (but nearly brilliant) FM Draft format 

Make media interactions something other than a tedious game of faux-emotional paper, scissors, stone. 

Sorry. Passionate about the game. But do think it needs a bit of a rocket. The product is borderline sloppy at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

Wow, he really does take it personally and very seriously. But if he's responsible for the new UI, then, in trying to make the game look less like a spreadsheet, he turned it into a non-functioning spreadsheet that defaults to Roman numerals and ancient Egyptian font, and every other formula you use is randomized, because why not.

In a more serious tone, I've been playing the Touch versions on Switch for the last three years (2018, 2019, and 2020), so while waiting for the new edition on Switch this year, I downloaded the Steam demo of 2020 edition, and the information overload and the amount of clicking is insane. At first, I figured I was just growing old and I should stick to something that doesn't demand an advanced physics degree, but after reading this thread, I feel relieved. That I have to click so many times to just do the basic stuff (for instance, when setting up tactics - click on Out of Possession (for instance), and now click on the Mentality dropdown; nothing happens; click again; nothing happens; click again; now you can choose mentality; what the hell?) or go through literally horribly rendered virtual rooms that came straight from the 1990s (and why are they empty?)

Related information is spread out over several screens, and examples are so easy to find. Just click on Club Vision. What do you get on that screen? A link to the real Club Vision page. And the first time you click it in the menu, you get Manager Performance rating, but to see your Club Vision rating from the board, you have to click go to the mentioned real Club Vision page. Examples like this are all over the place.

And then so many other things. Some dropdowns you just hover over and the choices appear. Some dropdowns you have to click. Some respond to mouse scrollwheel, some don't.

Or go to Dynamics -> Player Happiness. One columns has arrows, some have smileys, one has neither of the two. Then I click on the icon that says a player is dissatisfied with his situation at the club (the tooltip doesn't say why), but even when I click, I still don't see why. There is literally nothing saying that he is unhappy with his situation at the club. I'm guessing this is a bug, though? Or do I have to magically figure out how to get that information somewhere else?

The other issues have been talked about enough, so I won't repeat them, except one: what is the obsession with xG in this iteration? It's all about that, the useless advice from the staff (boils down to 'do this, for reasons that shall remain hidden') is now overloaded with xG, and what is even the purpose of the graph that represents the xG relation with time? Why is it so bad if I have a lower xG than an opponent far superior to me? I play for a draw away, and I get a draw away, assistant says we played poorly because our xG was worse than theirs. Is he not aware of the situation, of the context, of our defensive game plan? Of the fact that they had exactly one chance the entire game, while we had two really good counter attacks, that their goalkeeper saved incredibly well? That we actually fulfilled our game plan?

The Touch version is so much more fun to play, it isn't even funny, and I hope it stays saved from the features the desktop version has been getting in the last few iterations. Please don't add press conferences and journalists to Touch. And for the love of God, you added meetings into the game, meetings, one of humanity's worst ever inventions. And the recruitment one is even more pointless than they are in real life.

This is excellent. 

i would love to know if SI do consumer research of any description? They need to host a proper, high quality conversation about the game. The feature, data and click-creep you mention is close to laughable.

Balls over the top seem kinda overpowered. Not in that sense, I guess. But in the sense that the defending of them is very poor. The ball over the top is a good option for teams playing deep, but I'm seeing too many times where defenders seem to have an aneurysm trying to defend them. 

I remember this being an issue in FM20 beta. Please, SI, if you solve this, don't nerf forward play like before. It's the defensive play that needs a bit of work, and we'd have an excellent ME. 

7 minutes ago, Tonton_Zola said:

I think this is the frustration. The endless game of snakes and ladders around bits of the UI that didn’t need time and attention.  

Even the notion of “gesturing”/body language is a near like-for-like replacement of verbal tone (I.e a relationship modifier for the content of a message), but yet gets dressed up as a new ‘feature.’ Sorry to be blunt, but that’s less a new feature, and more a glorified copywriting edit. 

Why not spend time in areas that need to be developed? 

Make training genuinely compelling, rather than a spreadsheet chore.

Integrate this with a sense of club culture, academy philosophy etc. 

Give data scientists/analysts an actual reason-for-being in the game

Clean up the bug-ridden (but nearly brilliant) FM Draft format 

Make media interactions something other than a tedious game of faux-emotional paper, scissors, stone. 

Sorry. Passionate about the game. But do think it needs a bit of a rocket. The product is borderline sloppy at the moment. 

In a year or two, they will add back the verbal tone, and present it as a feature. But I'd love to see something like "madly jumping on the table and passionately shouting GOOD TRAINING PERFORMANCE KEEP IT UP".

I wonder if conversations like this actually ever take place, and people actually can tell a difference between 9.7 and 9.8 training "performance". In real life, I'd expect you have something like a career path and steering/control meetings with your employees every few months, not actually talk to them every few days about how they kicked the ball 0.2 points better than last week. Training should be reflected in their attributes and partially (?) in their form. Funny how they have no issue with this part being gamified, but having a timeline in the match is unrealistic (but having a tow-down 2D view of the action is not).

14 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

No, every year they just spin the wheel and whatever the wheel decides, goes.

What do you think? 

You may have to help me understand the tone here. Sorry. I can’t quite read if you’re being ironic or not!

(the perils of digital communication)

22 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Balls over the top seem kinda overpowered. Not in that sense, I guess. But in the sense that the defending of them is very poor. The ball over the top is a good option for teams playing deep, but I'm seeing too many times where defenders seem to have an aneurysm trying to defend them. 

I remember this being an issue in FM20 beta. Please, SI, if you solve this, don't nerf forward play like before. It's the defensive play that needs a bit of work, and we'd have an excellent ME. 

Balls over the top & balls to the far post seem extremely OP, defenders just don't seem very good at heading them away 

Edited by Johnny Ace

2 minutes ago, CM said:

Penalty conversion rate in the game is really low. My players miss penalties for fun. In FM 20 Kane was missing penalties despite having 20 in penalty taking and this seems to be continuing. 

I definitely saw this in the preseason. Was getting a penalty/match and maybe converted 2/6 and a couple of the misses were gentle flips to the keeper who didn't need to move and then a couple that missed the barn. No 'good saves' as such.

8 minutes ago, CM said:

Penalty conversion rate in the game is really low. My players miss penalties for fun. In FM 20 Kane was missing penalties despite having 20 in penalty taking and this seems to be continuing. 

Just had a quick look in my game through five or six playable competitions (Denmark, England, SPain, Germany and the CL) and I don't see any low conversion rates across the board. Average percentage is probably about 70-80% converted. 

If a player keeps missing penalties, have someone else take them? 20 penalties is one thing, but there's other attributes, hidden ones included, that come into play. Body language as well. But if you say that conversion rate is really low, you'll need more statistical evidence than just claiming that your players miss for fun. :)

18 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Just had a quick look in my game through five or six playable competitions (Denmark, England, SPain, Germany and the CL) and I don't see any low conversion rates across the board. Average percentage is probably about 70-80% converted. 

If a player keeps missing penalties, have someone else take them? 20 penalties is one thing, but there's other attributes, hidden ones included, that come into play. Body language as well. But if you say that conversion rate is really low, you'll need more statistical evidence than just claiming that your players miss for fun. :)

Don't know really but my plyayers, regardless of who takes them, miss so much. Just had penalty shootout and players who were calm missed two ( one Almada whose penalty taking is good, the other one rather poor attributes in finishing and penalties). Body language I guess is not the most important factor. 

Edited by CM

35 minutes ago, CM said:

Very strange. My players can't miss. I think last 25 penalties i scored 24... And my penalty taker has 14 attribute for penalty. 

So after a week of playing, and watching full matches to really test it out, definitely seeing more of the foibles from 20 and even further back.

Still seeing plenty of the age old annoyance where like a GK aimlessly smashes the ball out of play or upfield when he could simply pick the ball up. Or a defender heading/kicking the ball away, usually out of play, under no pressure or the ball is going to sail out of play if they leave it. Etc etc - you all know the ones I mean.

Seeing far too much of defenders (primarily) again this edition just randomly smashing the ball forward for little reason. You're just recycling possession, and then BAM! it gets launched forward. Doesn't seem to matter what level, what quality the player, what instructions they have, applies to everyone.

Likewise, the tendency to send every other pass out to the flank has been toned down in 21, so that's progress I guess, but still too much of it. I confess, I detest (speculative) wing play and cross spam, I want short central build up as my 1st, 2nd, and 555555th option, and it just gets annoying when you have players doing their own thing and going oh look, my right winger is standing in 50cm of space, better send the ball his way!

I said in an earlier post that defending was too passive, stand by that. I know this has always been a bit of a problem in FM and allowances have to be made, but just doesn't feel quite right. Agree with others who have said that long balls catch defences out too much and you get indecision and little to no reaction. And just in general in my opinion I see a bit too much standing off and attackers getting to the ball they look odds on to lose and then face little pressure. If possible I'd like to see it rebalanced.

I'm really sad that the game has a great match engine in this version 2021 and with many lags in all that use nvidia card. I have a configuration that ran FM 2020 totally well and in 2021 it shows lag either: very high as well as very low.

I have read here in the community many people with computers with optimal configurations experiencing the same problem. Will the game not be optimized?

I've already been on Sega's support, I've changed the settings of my video card and everything stays the same. I have an i5 9 generation, 16 gb ram and video card: geforce gtx 1650 ... The passing of days is fast, the flow of screens, the game is much faster than the 2020 version but the matche engine (stutters a lot) . I have the game without graphics, I tested it in window as well as in full screen and not to improve. Do you have any prospect of improvement?

11 minutos atrás, IrrelevantLion disse:

Honestamente, esses resultados estranhos e inconsistentes me fazem sentir como se o jogo está tentando "trabalhar" uma média, ou seja, mudar artificialmente os resultados para se adequar às médias, mas é feito mal e parece estranho?

what.JPG

Well, my game must be special because I have perfect consistency ( lose all matches)

Edited by Nick_CB

40 minutes ago, IrrelevantLion said:

Honestly, these weird and inconsistent results just make me feel like the game is trying to "work out" an average, i.e. artificially changing results to suit the averages, but it is done badly and looks weird? 

what.JPG

I undrstand you, similar things are happening in my save.

On one hand i think it is something that we see in reality, in modern football it is so difficult to see long runs without loosing. 

Especially in competative leagues where teams have similar quailty. Also it will prevent things that happend in the past when you after 3 seasons create a team that is destroying everyone and than that makes game boring. 

On the other hand i agree sometimes i have a feeling that the game doesn't allow me to beat smaller sides with weak teams. 

I am creating chances i am better on the pitch but when i have 2 or 3 wins in a row, i have a feeling that it is impossible to continue good run no metter who is playing against me. Sometimes it is like random result.

I don't know what to say. But i also notices that when you create partnership between players and improve team cohension you can expect more consistent result and matches.

It's good but bad at the same time :D

https://community.sigames.com/forum/802-match-engine-benchmarking-and-performance-early-access-beta-closing-soon/

Are all of these topics reporting lags (stuttering) problems during 3d mode being investigated ?

Really the game is very good but this problem with nvidia cards is quite annoying, computers with good configurations that ran fm 2020 very well and do not run fm 2021 :( 

51 minutes ago, IrrelevantLion said:

Honestly, these weird and inconsistent results just make me feel like the game is trying to "work out" an average, i.e. artificially changing results to suit the averages, but it is done badly and looks weird? 

Finding the same, I don't have a save running so I'm just holidaying tactics. I beat Brentford 4-3 playing a defensive possession tactic then next game in the cup lost 5-0 to lower league Leyton Orient, completely dumfounded  

I guess real life football is inconsistent but crikey :D

The game has come along way through the years, but enough of this the best match engine ever, cause its no where near, people just jump on the band wagon instead of forming there own actual opinion on where the match engine is, still needs massive improvements on all fronts, wingers still persist in shooting from impossible angels.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

One more thing: why in 20 years no one developed some stats for the chairmans?

Club vision: buy Young players. Why? Why i have to? It's because you are interested in long term strategy? Do you want to buy Young -sell big? 

I think that some stats could help, like patience (have you ever Heard of Zamparini?), financial disponibility (are you an emire?), Interest in results or in economical growth of the team

Not sure if am missing something, or is just a Bug, before posting it, could you please advice?

I am not getting the Analyst report after the games, and it says that I haven´t got a member of the Staff for that duties, however I have a Performance Analyst as you can see. I am not receiving either the Analyst Reports BEFORE the games as it is indicated in the assignments.

I can´t see the option of adding an Analyst in the Scouting area as it was designed in FM20, so I can´t ask for it to the Board.

Bug1.jpg

Bug2.jpg

Bug3.jpg

1 minute ago, Sharkn20 said:

Not sure if am missing something, or is just a Bug, before posting it, could you please advice?

I am not getting the Analyst report after the games, and it says that I haven´t got a member of the Staff for that duties, however I have a Performance Analyst as you can see. I am not receiving either the Analyst Reports BEFORE the games as it is indicated in the assignments.

I can´t see the option of adding an Analyst in the Scouting area as it was designed in FM20, so I can´t ask for it to the Board.

Bug1.jpg

Bug2.jpg

Bug3.jpg

In my game I can only pick either the Head Performance Analyst or a Recruitment Analyst for that job. Do you have any of those 2 roles? 

Just to remind people, calling others fanboys, threatening to spam the forum unless you get what you want, etc, are all against the forum rules and will result in your time here being cut short. In future, don't go about threatening to do that, given I've just had to hide one such post doing all of the above.

4 hours ago, Leon_fogo said:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/802-match-engine-benchmarking-and-performance-early-access-beta-closing-soon/

Are all of these topics reporting lags (stuttering) problems during 3d mode being investigated ?

Really the game is very good but this problem with nvidia cards is quite annoying, computers with good configurations that ran fm 2020 very well and do not run fm 2021 :( 

Would love an answer on this.  I raised this very issue in the bugs forum also.  Never had an issue with past FMs on this computer (i7 8700k, GTX 1080Ti), and had no problem with the beta.  Unfortunately the stuttering is very annoying and have switched to 2D classic.  My thread was closed when I raised this, and have since raised a ticket.  To their credit they did reply, but am on day 5 now with an exchange of 3 emails.  To date all we have done is exchange dxdiag and system reports, and tried launching the game in a forced very low setting.  It made no difference, and am yet to hear from them since my reply 2 days ago.

Also have not tried 21.1.3 yet plus the new Nvidia drivers released yesterday, so will report back.  Hopeful, but we shall see.

9 hours ago, orlyzao said:

You can tell by that fact that he's obsessed over people calling FM a spreadsheet simulator, even if it's nothing more than just a lighthearted joke. [1][2][3][4][5] 

They also revamped the preferences tab last year for no good reason and called it a feature. It looks worse now imo, a popout with huge waste of lateral space, although I should add that the search function definitely came in handy. But if we look at the preferences tab in FM14 can you guys honestly tell me it did not look cleaner than what we have now? Obviously not a big issue, but why change something that was perfectly fine?

God I'd forgotten about the preferences tab too and you are right it went from being incredibly easy to use to being very difficult to find the things you might want to change similar to the staff responsibilities  page.

Both pages are overly complex and over designed if anything especially when the original layouts had worked perfectly well for a decade or more.

I'm not sure it is just people hate change either because objectively a lot of the changes break all the rules of UI/UX design as far as I understand them.

5 hours ago, StevehFC said:

After originally disliking of the UI in the match engine I'm now starting to enjoy it. 

I quite like the ambiguity and how limited my options during the match are. My only complaint is there is no quick way to access the opposition instructions anymore, something I always am looking to adjust as needed throughout a match, more so than my tactical instructions. 

Tbh, I wish the tactics button in the bottom would be replaced with opposition instructions as it makes no sense in terms of realism for a side to be completely able to fully change their entire tactic on the fly. But I'm not suggesting we take that away entirely, just make it something I have to "go under the hood" for so to say.

Maybe if match plans had better functionality, but in their current state they're pretty poor. 

17 hours ago, Tonton_Zola said:

The thing that I keep coming back to in my head around SI + FM21 concerns effective/optimal deployment of resources...

I am struggling to understand why you'd have a team working for (presumably) the best part of a year on adjustments to  aspects of the UI that were in no way "problems in need of a solution." 

At the heart of this, I've noticed, is a sudden interest in building visual environments as backgrounds: the office, the press room, the dressing room, the boardroom etc.
Where has this come from? And why build + render in an apparent graphical engine (presumably at greater cost to resources) than simply using a licensed stock / purpose-shot photograph (or set of photographs)?
This is a total headscratcher to me. Did this need emerge from market research? Do they have a vision for building an entirely graphical environment a la Ultimate Soccer Manager back in the mid 90's? 

I sense it's this arrival of graphical 'spaces' that - poorly integrated with the textual world of the game - contributes to these moments of what I would call cognitive dissonance
This is a posh way of saying, "hold on, where am I?" "where am i looking? "is this 'my' perspective?" "are the boxes where the journalists are?" "is this my eye-view, or a camera view?"

From a design and user-experience point of view, this is highly, highly problematic.
More alarmingly, it falls disappointingly short of what you'd expect from a product that is now a serial international top-seller. 

----

My wider point is this - what is informing SI's development strategy? 

Are they close enough to their customers? What is the roadmap for future development? What drives emphasis in certain areas, and neglect of others? Is SI focusing on the 'right' areas? 

I wish my instinctive answers to the above were more positive than they are...

My guess is they hope to one day offer a VR version of the game. Being able to stand in the coaches technical area and watch the game from the first person perspective with current VR technology doesn't seem very far out of reach. The hardware will certainly do it, software just needs to catch up.

30 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Has anyone else noticed away wins in their leagues is on the low side? 

Its because the AI is as ambitious as well losing 1-0 is better than losing 2-0 yet again. Even when they have a good team.

I've knocked several teams in higher divisions out of cups at home purely because they just defended a 1-0 loss.

2 minutes ago, Thalo said:

My guess is they hope to one day offer a VR version of the game. Being able to stand in the coaches technical area and watch the game from the first person perspective with current VR technology doesn't seem very far out of reach. The hardware will certainly do it, software just needs to catch up.

SI can only just about manage static 3D backgrounds that look ripped straight off a PS2 era game...I think VR is a little way off just yet. (Not that I play the game for its graphical content)

1 minute ago, kiwityke said:

SI can only just about manage static 3D backgrounds that look ripped straight off a PS2 era game...I think VR is a little way off just yet. (Not that I play the game for its graphical content)

That's true but it seems the push is for further "realism" and immersion at the cost of functionality imo. This years team talks is the best example of that. As bad as the VR rendering will be, it will be immersive. This is coming from someone that has quite a lot of VR experience. I enjoy sim racing, and even though the rendering is poor and I'm slightly slower in VR than using monitors, I always prefer VR.

1 minute ago, Thalo said:

That's true but it seems the push is for further "realism" and immersion at the cost of functionality imo. This years team talks is the best example of that. As bad as the VR rendering will be, it will be immersive. This is coming from someone that has quite a lot of VR experience. I enjoy sim racing, and even though the rendering is poor and I'm slightly slower in VR than using monitors, I always prefer VR.

Yes nothing screams immersive realism like eye strain...

34 minutes ago, Thalo said:

That must be it ... FM2025 will be a VR walking simulator, where all the statistical information will be presented via the FM touch interface on an in-game tablet you need to manipulate using VR controllers. You'll be locked into watching from the technical area, so everyone will hassle the 4th official try to get themselves sent to the stands so they can get a more elevated view of the pitch. 

FM is what it is. I don't think the powers that be at SI have enough vision to develop it into something more. Particularly as obvious paths for a different play mode (chairman or club focussed) seem to be completely out of scope and they seem to be unwilling to upgrade the minimum PC spec of the game in line with technology keeping it forever at least 10 years behind the curve.

Edited by rp1966

Is there any way to have yellow cards and orange injuries added to key highlights?? This is crazy that I have injured player in game for 20 minutes before I actually see that he is injured when there is a highlight!!! What is going on with this , why is that not implemented like it was for the last..I don't know, 10 years at least!?

And also, where is the match information?? Like venue, attendance, weather, temperature etc..??

Edited by luka_zg

23 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

And also, where is the match information?? Like venue, attendance, weather, temperature etc..??

Its been removed in the name of progress and realism because its unrealistic to expect a manager to know the weather, venue, attendance and who the referee is etc...

It is another one of the many baffling UI choices this year to replace a page that gave you lots of useful info with one that gives you almost zero info...

Just now, kiwityke said:

Its been removed in the name of progress and realism because its unrealistic to expect a manager to know the weather, venue, attendance and who the referee is etc...

It is another one of the many baffling UI choices this year to replace a page that gave you lots of useful info with one that gives you almost zero info...

In the full game the referee is named on the bottom of the teamsheet (not there in FMT, though). Weather is on one of the screens you see before the match.  Attendance should be visible on half time report, but isn't. For attendance I generally add the column to the schedule page along with scorers. It's not especially relevant, but it's a 'nice to know' that should be seen at half-time.

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

In the full game the referee is named on the bottom of the teamsheet (not there in FMT, though). Weather is on one of the screens you see before the match.  Attendance should be visible on half time report, but isn't. For attendance I generally add the column to the schedule page along with scorers. It's not especially relevant, but it's a 'nice to know' that should be seen at half-time.

I have played over 100 hours and hadn't noticed any of that to be honest. My point still stands a page that had lots of useful info has now been replaced with one with barely any info I care about that has less functionality too seeing as I cant click on any of the players or teams like you used to be able to and apparently the important info is stuck around various random pages.

Just now, kiwityke said:

I have played over 100 hours and hadn't noticed any of that to be honest. My point still stands a page that had lots of useful info has now been replaced with one with barely any info I care about that has less functionality too seeing as I cant click on any of the players or teams like you used to be able to and apparently the important info is stuck around various random pages.

Yeah. I play 2D and have always jhad widgets about match info, player rating, match stats, opponent tactic etc. Now I have default match stats and can only choose two other info screens on tablet. And no widgets available for no reason at all. But all this I can swallow, but the fact you don't get clear info that one of your players is injured kills me. I suppose you see in the dugout box but I play on the fastest between highlight speed with key highlights so I by the time I see the info, usually 20 mins pass. It should be more clearly presented. Was it that hard to put the little orange "inj" next to the player on player rating box?