Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

27 minutes ago, Zoolok42 said:

Damn dude, maybe you should take a break from the game. It gets me angry, too, but not like this.

I am not angry but i am just telling people to stop defending the game at every cost, not everything is players fault. On this forum, standard response to tactic "Personally i dont have xx problem so Fault in your tactics" "You cant play this game". 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, sverige91 said:

I am not angry but i am just telling people to stop defending the game at every cost, not everything is players fault. On this forum, standard response to tactic "Personally i dont have xx problem so Fault in your tactics" "You cant play this game". 

What you said is fundamentally not true though. There's no mechanic that kicks in and balances things out. I actually posted my seasonal Xg in this thread, far outperforming the opposition in attack and defence.

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

My xG is 18.77 and I've scored 32 goals. That's a million times better than any other team in the league. Other teams are scoring around their xG totals.

This nonsense that the AI was this efficient (or even cheating) or that there was a balancing mechanism needs to stop either way, not for the sake of "defending" the game, but for the sake of hopefully future AI improvements.

The thing is, this Sverige guy is that he's getting riled up over individual matches on FM 2020 just the same -- the "super tactics" he downloads overall convert chances at better rates than any AI manager.

The reason that in such individual matches it's always the AI on the "winning end" (e.g. ever scoring off few chances) is that the AI actually manages to have few chances. It is that simple. 

As with with the WHUFC guy, these guys will never see this the other way around as their match management is fundamentally different to the AI's.

As of the "super tactics", in recent years I especially loved the crapfests that endured when they all tried to exploit the open centre of FM17 -- but an AI manager happened to plug just that zone of the pitch (by the virtue of research)... now imagine that AI were actually to one day become smart. :D 

I really don't know what to do next - Page 8 - Tactics, Training & Strategies Discussion - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

Edited by Svenc

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Is it really the case IRL for players in the championship to be getting 2-4k appearance fee money and 1-2k unused substitute money in their contracts? all players seem to automatically open with that

Money in the championship has increased massively in the last 4+ years. Id say any of the top 12 teams would pay some pretty decent wages and bonuses now, a lot more players than you think are on 15k+. I usually just increase goal and assist bonuses and then remove appearance fees and that usually does the trick.

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Is it really the case IRL for players in the championship to be getting 2-4k appearance fee money and 1-2k unused substitute money in their contracts? all players seem to automatically open with that

Whilst it is difficult to be sure about exact figures, I think that SI will have enough researcher info from the top leagues to be pretty sure about the approximate levels of wage and extras that the players will be earning 

Si, Is the Final winter patch the last one that will be issued for this series, there are a number of stat bugs under review in the bugs forum, including mine below that have not been fixed and I wondered if they will be looked at. This to me is a game breaking bug as football manager is a numbers game and if the stats are incorrect how can you make the correct adjustments in your tactics to suit

Edited by wazza

6 minutes ago, wazza said:

Si, Is the Final winter patch the last one that will be issued for this series, there are a number of stat bugs under review in the bugs forum, including mine below that have not been fixed and I wondered if they will be looked at. This to me is a game breaking bug as football manager is a numbers game and if the stats are incorrect how can you make the correct adjustments in your tactics to suit

There has been no indication from SI that there will be any further updates for FM21

54 minutes ago, FrazT said:

There has been no indication from SI that there will be any further updates for FM21

Is this not the same case as last years wingers shooting from crazy angles bug? They just shut up shop and said no more updates.  

10 minutes ago, the raven said:

Is this not the same case as last years wingers shooting from crazy angles bug? They just shut up shop and said no more updates.  

I have no insight into the planning and release of the updates- I am only giving out information:

Here is a recent post from SI that gives some background information:

Just to clarify, when a bug is 'under review' it means our QA team are aware of it and it's been logged within our internal tracking system. 

Each bug will be categorised by a number of categories, including the priority for a fix and the severity of the issue. Given the amount of time and resource available, some issues won't be able to be fixed for FM21 and will instead be looked at for future versions of the game. This is especially the case with match engine issues, given even the slightest tweak can have considerable knock-ons which require a huge amount of resource to test and make sure any change is an improvement. 

Whilst there are always improvements to be made in our quest to make the game as close to real life as possible, at this stage of development there are no current plans for further updates for FM21. All under review issues on the forums will be considered and used as part of the larger scale plans, rewrites and improvements for future versions of Football Manager.

Why do players score so many more goals in my division than in any other division?

I'm five seasons into a lower league save in England now, and every season there will be 6-7 players score 20+ league goals in my league, usually with at least two grabbing 30+. Meanwhile every other division will be lucky to have a player grab 20.

Then when I get promoted, the division I've left goes back to normal.

2 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Why do players score so many more goals in my division than in any other division?

I'm five seasons into a lower league save in England now, and every season there will be 6-7 players score 20+ league goals in my league, usually with at least two grabbing 30+. Meanwhile every other division will be lucky to have a player grab 20.

Then when I get promoted, the division I've left goes back to normal.

It's because the league you are playing in will be being run on full detail, on the same match engine you use each game.

Other divisions, unless changed on the detail level to full, will be running on a quick SIM engine which uses the teams CA and rep.

Sadly this year the disparity is bigger than ever. Top scorer players over a 46 game season on my saves on full detail will bag between 30-48 goals whereas quick SIM will be 15-25.

The numbers on quick SIM need to be upped. I'm a lover of defence and 1-0, and satisfying 0-0's over high scoring games however I think it's great this year that full detail leagues can have one season wonders of 40 odd goals who then get poached in a higher division, sort of Jordan rhodes/vardy esque in their lower league days. 

Quick SIM needs to be altered imo as without running ALL leagues on full detail I feel it impacts on development and an uneven playing field and makes it harder to scout lower leagues realistically. Same with AVG ratings for quick SIM. If there's such a huge disparity it kind of moots the point of being able to add and remove tons of leagues as it's an uneven field IMO.

50 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

It's because the league you are playing in will be being run on full detail, on the same match engine you use each game.

Other divisions, unless changed on the detail level to full, will be running on a quick SIM engine which uses the teams CA and rep.

Sadly this year the disparity is bigger than ever. Top scorer players over a 46 game season on my saves on full detail will bag between 30-48 goals whereas quick SIM will be 15-25.

It makes sense although I've always been a lower league player and it's never been as bad as this.

Plus it's usually lower CA/journeyman guys doing all the scoring, meaning players score 35+ in multiple seasons and never get poached by bigger clubs.

It's an immersion-killer.

28 minutes ago, CityAndColour said:

It makes sense although I've always been a lower league player and it's never been as bad as this.

Plus it's usually lower CA/journeyman guys doing all the scoring, meaning players score 35+ in multiple seasons and never get poached by bigger clubs.

It's an immersion-killer.

Agreed.

The difference between full detail and quick detail SIM leagues has never been as huge. It's the quick SIM that needs upping number wise rather than the full lowering imo 

I’m specifically talking about when a player gets injured before a big game and you have the option to give injections or leave to physio. If you give injections, the news comes out that they’re going to miss the game and it hits their morale. If you leave to physio, the same thing happens.

I know I can’t be the only one who notices this, so why is this a recurring problem in FM and is there any plan to fix this?

15 hours ago, Svenc said:

The thing is, this Sverige guy is that he's getting riled up over individual matches on FM 2020 just the same -- the "super tactics" he downloads overall convert chances at better rates than any AI manager.

The reason that in such individual matches it's always the AI on the "winning end" (e.g. ever scoring off few chances) is that the AI actually manages to have few chances. It is that simple. 

You just proved both of my points about defending the game and putting the blame on players. 

If we are using "super tactics" then we dont know how to play the game. FM20 was left unfinsihed, check the bug reports, yet still here and defending the game from last year. Standard answer was, " Yes we know about the problem but wont release a new patch, Problems will be addressed in next version" 

Just answer a simple question: if a striker is 1v1, Which tactical instructions should matter? In PI there is nothing thats specify how player should finish the chance. Attribute like Finishing/Composure/Technique/Decisions should matter, If they all are high, yet player still misses. xG was implemented to see quality of chances, If the quality is high, should we still blame the tactic? Or the human player? Or the game for MAYBE balance things out? (I read some where on the forum that if the game doesnt balance out, games with super tactics will end up with cricket score line).. I will try to find it. 

AI having "few Chances" and taking them and "normal" human player still not scoring because of amount of chances "super tactics" create? - How do you even Come up with this logic?  - It is like I apply for 6 Jobs and guy beside me apply for 3, He gets all the Jobs because he applied for fewer then me? More Chances should result in more goals not fewer. 
NOTE: I am talking about strikers & 1v1. Not about 30m longshots or well constructed goals. Passing and gameplay wise, One of the better ME in 3 years.

Not everyone is a tactician and not everyone can learn all the basic. Many people play for 1-2 hours and thats it.

A 1 on 1 isn't 100% a goal though, XG's been put into the game to show you that it's it's a 1 in 3 chance. A penalty is a 77% chance of scoring, players can still miss them, a crappy header is a 2% chance of scoring but they can still be scored. I've just been 4-0 up & my XG wasn't even at 1 goal.

The AI is no different, look at AI vs AI results, look at the score then look at the XG, the AI don't always outscore their XG. Look at it in real games & it'll tell you the same

If you're underperforming your XG & your opposition is outperforming their XG against you on a regular basis, it's either tactical, the quality of your players or on you as the manager  

Your point about some bloke applying for 3 jobs, he could be a best candidate for each job, then some other guy applies for 6 & isn't qualified for any of them, it's all about the quality like it is with the chance of scoring 

1 hour ago, sverige91 said:

You just proved both of my points about defending the game and putting the blame on players.

Just out of curiosity, who else should be blamed for you not winning matches if not you? Blaming the game and claiming there's some sort of conspiracy against human players that is proven wrong again and again doesnt make any sense to me.

When so many other players are perfectly capable of not just winning matches, but consistently over-achieve year after year on new iterations of the game it's obvious that we're dealing with a PEBCAK situation here.

If you are failing at a game that has a thread that has been open since release and still has people commenting on it about the game being too easy, I think you may need to adjust your opinion on how good at the game you are. I'm speaking tongue in cheek here, but both views cannot be true. 

Just answer a simple question: if a striker is 1v1, Which tactical instructions should matter?

None, but if you are seeing every single 1v1 being missed, you have some serious personnel issues. What I find most of the time from people who will show their games from this is they have a high xG but it is accumulated as a dribble of a large number of poor quality chances. So it slowly creeps up during the game, but each shot has a small chance of going in. This is not showing creating good chances, where you should see giant steps in the xG as you create them. It does not mean you cannot win with a lot of bad quality chances (I scored from a 0 xG chance today, a cross that went in the goal by accident), but it is far more likely you will not. Very rarely (if ever) have I seen the AI produce an xG graph like this. If you are seeing this, it is a sure sign that there is something wrong with the chances you create.

Now I know you are going to just say "well you say it doesn't happen to you so you are dismissing it as a problem", but my xG in my current season (44/46 games played) is 1.44 per game. I have scored 1.63 per game. So a little above average (my team has suffered from injuries and is simply not good enough to expect more than this). My xG against is 0.55, and I have conceded 0.54 games per game. That is the best defence in the league. I have a very good defence and I am good at setting up a solid defence, so we do not concede a lot. When we do, it tends to be because the AI has carved out a good chance (except at the start of the season when my 'keeper thought it would be fun to allow every shot he faced to go in).

So the point of that is that if I can do this, you can do this. If you are not doing this, it is on you. We are playing exactly the same game. So the line about putting the blame on players is, well, justified. FM is not really that complicated a game, even on the tactical side of things. So as far as I can tell, you can either accept that there may be something wrong with the way you play games (be it tactically, using download tactic which aren't suited, bad squad building, whatever), get help and improve so you enjoy the game more, or you can continue to moan about the game being unfair, not accepting responsibility and never enjoy it. I'd go for the former, but it is your call.

28 minuti fa, KeegBCFC ha scritto:

Are defenders ratings now broken? Keeping regular clean sheets but cannot get a CB to have a rating above 6.8, regularly getting 6.5s.

A clean sheet tells absolutely nothing on how a CB has performed during that particular game.

Not talking about you, but I'm growing up day after day that the most of people has been mislead somehow by how ratings work.

I don't know, I'm playing Juve and I took these 2 screenshots about Juve and Liverpool ratings.

Juve avg rating from the starting XI: 7,23

Liverpool avg rating from the starting XI: 7,34

I can't see anything wrong with ratings.

juve.JPG

liv.JPG

Just some hasty brainstorming about ratings. Reasons why some ratings seems to be too average

1) Good off the ball movement is not rewarded in ratings.

2) Good defensive positioning and anticipating is not rewarded in ratings.

3) A bit same than in 2) but teams deflines movement and unity does not wary between teams and can't be rated because of individual performance.

4) Secondary passes are not rewarded and more longer pass chains leave players outside from positive ratings.

Overall the game is good, however the issue with the stats not being accurate is disappointing as this part of the game has never encountered these problems before to the best of my knowledge.

Please can Si assuage my concerns that as long as the game is good enough for the casual player then the quality standards are good enough?

As a player that has been here from the beginning I feel a little worried that due to my money not being of any more value than the casual player then the refinements of the game will become less important.

Edited by Os

4 hours ago, sverige91 said:

AI having "few Chances" and taking them and "normal" human player still not scoring because of amount of chances "super tactics" create? - How do you even Come up with this logic?  

It's very easy. Overall, these tactics DO SCORE more goals than any AI (or they wouldN't be this popular). The "bane" are the individual matches and management of those. 

"Super tactics" are 100% attacking ones full of attack/support duty players. Additionally, due to the general success they bring, an AI manager most oftently in the longer term sees itself as the match underdog, so applies defensive tactics. Therefore, the AI always almost will have fewer shots.

The AI then ever wins matches with fewer shots because it is actually the team with the fewer shots. (Most of the time it doesn't). You can only ever score off few chances if you aim to have fewer chances (go through Man Cities matches in the last three seasons on Whoscored -- all of their opponents equally always score off far fewer shots and/ or lower xG). Sometimes that is luckily (or even off a bugged goal), sometimes not so much (as super tactics are this aggressive). Everything the AI can do, you could do better, that's factual -- however, super tactics are not set up to be that way. 

An introduction and a question about (contextual) feedback and stats in the game - Tactics, Training & Strategies Discussion - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

As said, that's not defending the game whatsoever. This AI conspiracy stuff is nonsense. It's hindering (AI) development. Additionally, it distracts from the game's actual issues, which have always applied for both AI and player. The AI has never actually cared about the amount of chances in a match -- but rather the (current) scorelines and time left on the clock, and makes proactive changes throughout matches accordingly. That's why it on the occasion can actually score off fewer shots / lower xG. It however can't "read" a match as a better play would, which is where his / her edge is. I'd argue one of the keys of getting rid of these conspiracies is further improving match feedback, without alienating those for which this could make the game "too easy". Perhaps by optionally further assistant individual match advice, I dunno.

3 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

None, but if you are seeing every single 1v1 being missed, you have some serious personnel issues.

I'd argue even in the game engine not every 1vs1 is 1vs1. This goes back as far as FM 2009, which had an issue with specific types. :D  For all its issues, even FM2020 had 1vs1s that were converted pretty regularly (above 50/50 rates). SI staff are on record as saying that their 1vs1 in 2021 used to be generally converted at above 50%, which is likely why there were so few/er complaints (the average xG for a 1vs1 in actuall football is ca. ~0.33, e.g. a 33% chance). Tactics have always influenced the angle of the 1vs1, the running distance, and more. Speaking about match feedback, xG should ideally help with creating / reading the better ones one day. (Also, please get rid of the CCCs). :D 

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

A 1 on 1 isn't 100% a goal though, XG's been put into the game to show you that it's it's a 1 in 3 chance. A penalty is a 77% chance of scoring, players can still miss them, a crappy header is a 2% chance of scoring but they can still be scored. I've just been 4-0 up & my XG wasn't even at 1 goal.

The AI is no different, look at AI vs AI results, look at the score then look at the XG, the AI don't always outscore their XG. Look at it in real games & it'll tell you the same

If you're underperforming your XG & your opposition is outperforming their XG against you on a regular basis, it's either tactical, the quality of your players or on you as the manager  

Your point about some bloke applying for 3 jobs, he could be a best candidate for each job, then some other guy applies for 6 & isn't qualified for any of them, it's all about the quality like it is with the chance of scoring 

Couldn't be more on point. I have a great deal of sympathy for people who struggle, but if you're ignoring stuff like this, you kinda deserve it

2 hours ago, Os said:

Overall the game is good, however the issue with the stats not being accurate is disappointing as this part of the game has never encountered these problems before to the best of my knowledge.

Please can Si assuage my concerns that as long as the game is good enough for the casual player then the quality standards are good enough?

As a player that has been here from the beginning I feel a little worried that due to my money not being of any more value than the casual player then the refinements of the game will become less important.

I too have been there from the beginning and bought every release.  I now have had to go back to FM20 as FM21 for me is still broken, with no more updates looking likely and of which is the first time I have felt like I have had to since the Championship Manager series began.

I play the game looking at the stats on the prozone during the match every 15 minutes  or so as it is played and make any tactical changes necessary as this to me if football management - tactically adjusting my team to find a weakness in your opponent and working out where your team is not playing well and adjusting things to suit.  It is disappointing that the bug I reported in December of mistakes and missed interception stats  wont be fixed as well as the other statistical issues reported by other users.  As you say some people would play the game not looking in this depth, but others do and for those players the game will feel broken.  

I will now be considering my stance on buying future incarnations of the game each year   My biggest loss on this is not the price of purchase of the game but the time wasted getting a career game up and running on FM21 since release only for me to feel that I have to start again on a previous version where the stats work so that I can get full enjoyment and immersion out of the game.

Edited by wazza

4 hours ago, zindrinho said:

Just out of curiosity, who else should be blamed for you not winning matches if not you? Blaming the game and claiming there's some sort of conspiracy against human players that is proven wrong again and again doesnt make any sense to me.

When so many other players are perfectly capable of not just winning matches, but consistently over-achieve year after year on new iterations of the game it's obvious that we're dealing with a PEBCAK situation here.

I think when the game constantly ignores tactical instructions such as GK pass short and pass to cb of fb and there's one of these 4 payers unmarked then they kick long the ball comes back and you concede .

I think that's very much the games fault

Are attacking Throw-Ins broken since the update?

I have them set to go LONG, but he never throws them long, he does what he wants. Even worse is he's throwing them to a man SHORT who I have set to STAY BACK.

:seagull:

EDIT: Here's what happened, Vagnoman threw it shorter into Skipp, but it was intercepted. He shouldn't be throwing it there anyway...

Screenshot-2021-03-20-at-21-17-40.png

You can see none of the players on the pitch match the set-up I've instructed, just blatantly doing whatever they want:

Gibson, Skipp & Zimmerman should be in the box but they stay back.

The left back doesn't have any idea what he's doing because he doesn't even exist on my Throw In tactics page, I can't even select him!

Screenshot-2021-03-20-at-21-18-00.png

Edited by stevemc

On 20/03/2021 at 06:12, Domoboy23 said:

The disparity between the quick sim match engine and the full detail in leagues is ridiciolous. On quick sim a divisions top scorer over 46 games is about 15-22. On full it's 30-48

i'm having the same problem. any way to fix this? only way is to change to full detail?

and when will SI change the set-piece creator? it's horrible at the moment and even throw ins are basically broken as no one listens to the instructions.

there MUST be a more intuitive way to deal with set-pieces and even corners. right now, it's a chore and a pain to work with.

9 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Unfortunately set pieces ( FT, FK, Corners )  are a disappointment year after year, and SI should be embarrassed by this. I remember playing an NFL game in the 90s , you could design your own plays : drawing lines , setting passing options and runs .. IN THE 90s!!!!

Free Throws are a total disgrace .. I have a panic attack every time I see a throw in in my own half !  and the mess of offside play from the throw in near the corner flag it would be funny if it wasnt just sad. I have 2-3 per game , mine or AI. And it's a comprehensive highlight ! 

We need to be able to set free throws at least from 2 zones , own half - opponent half. At least. We need to be able to drag lines and say X run this way , Y come short, Z throw it there . It's basic stuff, done in the 90s ! 

Have you seen Leeds goal last night ? Bamford goal .. how can one set up something simple like that in FM ? You cannot.  

Corners : Someone else asked this : why does 2 players with "lurk outside area " stay at the same position - holding hands and throwing kisses ? Why can't we place them on the pitch center left right at least ?

Why are corners bound by player positions anyway? I have to design plays when my DM ( tall guy ) is playing CM sometimes. Why cant we set up plays by players or roles for player ?  

Why cant we set up options like if they cover short corner - don't play short corner ! 

Why cant we set up set pieces based on conditions like mentality for example : I want this set when we are playing Attacking or Positive and other set when playing Cautious... 

What's the point of "stay back if needed" if you don't run at the ball ? :idiot: 

Why can't we design free kicks plays ? "go forward" , "attack far post" silliness . "Stand with taker" - and do what ? :rolleyes:

Wholeheartedly agree with this, improvement is needed here, it would even class as a key feature if they overhauled it to a degree where you can design whatever you want.

But even if they are poor, the absolute bare minimum is that they should work and set up correctly. At the moment to even set them up is buggy as hell.

Edited by stevemc

5 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Player: "Sir, I want to leave for Real Madrid, they offer higher wages!"

Me: "Sure, their transfer offer is fine, I can let you go."

Player: "Sir, I require a pay off for the transfer to Real Madrid to compensate for them paying me a lower salary than I have here!"

Me: https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/02/firefly.gif

Flawless player logic as always. :seagull:

Clearly, you never switched jobs to go work for the most prestigious company in your field of work, located in one of the most attractive cities in the world, in a country with warm weather and amazing coastlines.

12 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Unfortunately set pieces ( FT, FK, Corners )  are a disappointment year after year, and SI should be embarrassed by this. I remember playing an NFL game in the 90s , you could design your own plays : drawing lines , setting passing options and runs .. IN THE 90s!!!!

Free Throws are a total disgrace .. I have a panic attack every time I see a throw in in my own half !  and the mess of offside play from the throw in near the corner flag it would be funny if it wasnt just sad. I have 2-3 per game , mine or AI. And it's a comprehensive highlight ! 

We need to be able to set free throws at least from 2 zones , own half - opponent half. At least. We need to be able to drag lines and say X run this way , Y come short, Z throw it there . It's basic stuff, done in the 90s ! 

Have you seen Leeds goal last night ? Bamford goal .. how can one set up something simple like that in FM ? You cannot.  

Corners : Someone else asked this : why does 2 players with "lurk outside area " stay at the same position - holding hands and throwing kisses ? Why can't we place them on the pitch center left right at least ?

Why are corners bound by player positions anyway? I have to design plays when my DM ( tall guy ) is playing CM sometimes. Why cant we set up plays by players or roles for player ?  

Why cant we set up options like if they cover short corner - don't play short corner ! 

Why cant we set up set pieces based on conditions like mentality for example : I want this set when we are playing Attacking or Positive and other set when playing Cautious... 

What's the point of "stay back if needed" if you don't run at the ball ? :idiot: 

Why can't we design free kicks plays ? "go forward" , "attack far post" silliness . "Stand with taker" - and do what ? :rolleyes:

Truth be told, you can do most of these things already, you just have to manually switch between instructions as you see fit.

Please, people, respect that others have a different opinion than you. Feel free to disagree with each other, but keep it respectful to SI and each other.

Also, no name calling, that's simply unacceptable.

2 hours ago, Zoolok42 said:

Clearly, you never switched jobs to go work for the most prestigious company in your field of work, located in one of the most attractive cities in the world, in a country with warm weather and amazing coastlines.

I think you've completely missed his point.

16 hours ago, stevemc said:

Are attacking Throw-Ins broken since the update?

I have them set to go LONG, but he never throws them long, he does what he wants. Even worse is he's throwing them to a man SHORT who I have set to STAY BACK.

:seagull:

EDIT: Here's what happened, Vagnoman threw it shorter into Skipp, but it was intercepted. He shouldn't be throwing it there anyway...

Screenshot-2021-03-20-at-21-17-40.png

You can see none of the players on the pitch match the set-up I've instructed, just blatantly doing whatever they want:

Gibson, Skipp & Zimmerman should be in the box but they stay back.

The left back doesn't have any idea what he's doing because he doesn't even exist on my Throw In tactics page, I can't even select him!

Screenshot-2021-03-20-at-21-18-00.png

I was told in this forum that throw-ins were fixed cos SI said so in the patch notes! Throw-ins, long or short, have been broken since release and will be until FM22.

17 hours ago, jere_d said:

I think when the game constantly ignores tactical instructions such as GK pass short and pass to cb of fb and there's one of these 4 payers unmarked then they kick long the ball comes back and you concede .

I think that's very much the games fault

If the game was at fault, wouldn't that mean that none of us can get the GK to do as we tell him to?
I have no problems with my GK not following instructions, so obviously it's something you're doing wrong, not something with the game.

Make sure your GK is set to SK(d) or the normal GK role, SK(S) and attack has a Take more risks PI hardcoded into the role.
Choose CBs and FBs for GK distribution and none of the Roll it out, Short kick etc. if you add Play out from the back as a team instruction as well your GK should play it short every time.
If all your GKs short passing options are blocked you should be glad he doesnt play it short.

If your players still dont do as you tell them to, its the game way of showing you that your tactics doesnt make sense. If you want short passes, you need short passing options. If your player cant find short passing options the game will show you all these long balls that are being intercepted, as a big red sign saying your tactics arent working.