Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's an almost 4 year old article, that's more about the players' recreational obsession with FIFA ( and actually lots of other games in general, due to lots of travelling and downtime, lots of people in pro sports are keen gamer, there's an England rugby player who was once number 1 in the world in Call of Duty) than any kind of truly concerted regular  professional analysis. 

And Steve Grieve makes game models based on data sent to him.

Not particularly relevant as feedback, not particularly relevant to football manager

Speak to any coach at any level and they will tell you that both FM and FIFA are used as reference to coaching academy footballers - 100%. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minuto fa, Novem9 ha scritto:

Somebody read ingame twitter?

I dont sure but feeling this feature is useless. But I would love to read information about the leading tournaments, teams and players in the form of a digest or something like that. But so that this information comes every two weeks (or month) in the mailbox

Social feeds is the very first thing I turn off when I start a new career.

3 minuti fa, JPChenet ha scritto:

Speak to any coach at any level and they will tell you that both FM and FIFA are used as reference to coaching academy footballers - 100%. 

I disagree, but I live in a different Country :)

4 minutes ago, Federico said:

@JPChenet Alright, just curiousity. I'm a coach myself (U-14) and I'd rather use real football references, but I'm very open minded and curious to know about different methodologies :)

Please DM me - well over 30 years coaching. Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Chasetown, Burnham, Maidenhead to name a few (youth and academy level). Had a few gems that have gone on to do very well and some that are now even coaches themselves.

4 minutes ago, Weasek said:

Everyone is entitled to a opinion but I have played both games and I don't see what coaches could honestly take tactically from fifa 🤔. Far prefer fm but that's just my opinion. 

It's a tool. Many youngsters play FIFA - use it for example or demonstration for visualisation. All tools are helpful if it makes someone understand something better, whether it's positional, tactical etc.. Kids these days relate to games - CDM is a great example.

9 minutes ago, JPChenet said:

It's a tool. Many youngsters play FIFA - use it for example or demonstration for visualisation. All tools are helpful if it makes someone understand something better, whether it's positional, tactical etc.. Kids these days relate to games - CDM is a great example.

OK fair enough thank you for explanation 

1 hour ago, JPChenet said:

They are. To say there's useful comparison is a little blind. Both are used used in the professional game as tools - one as a tactical tool. 

It does irritate me on this forum that as a player football management sims that far outweighs most other players with over 30 years (yes, I do remember the days of playing PBM with the Collyer brothers) that it seems I cannot express myself. I really have committed myself to the title with hours and my wallet.

So have the rest of us committed time and money into the game. Step down off that high horse fella.

1 hour ago, JPChenet said:

Yes I am coach. Championship to grassroots - mainly youth teams and academy though. I try not to encourage the use of games, although I'd rather they play FM and FIFA over violent games. Both games can used as reference to visual position and tactical shape.

Honestly no words... :rolleyes:

On a seperate note, loving the amount of people saying the latest update has ruined the ME. They haven't touched the ME only changed GK distribution and collection of stats.
FM 13 was one of my favourite ME's, then in second place 19, and then this years which is probably in between the two. Love the fact elite or very good players with certain stat spreads can score 40+ a season, and even players who shouldn't be able to, and then don't again! Like IRL. And that's coming from someone who loves defence. I'd rather have a 1-0 than a 4-1 anyday.  Also seeing a bit of personality creeping into players on the ME which is what I loved about 13. You could distinguish the player without having names above them.

FM 20 was horrific. It was stale. For an ME you need a variety of possibilities. You need to be kept on your toes. I feel like they actually need to add to this in terms of events on the pitch. In terms of variety of play, randomness but also keepers getting sent off etc. I also feel like this is the first ME in ages which allows you to see your changes take effect. 

I've always been very nervous of just ''a few minor changes' taking place on an ME, as from the past I know the huge knock on effect this can have. But this ME is probably the best in the las 7/8 years. 

Edited by Domoboy23

5 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

FA Badge 1 (online e course done in 20 minutes) alert :lol:

Level 1 is a bit of a joke - only failure is not to attend. Didn't realise they had changed the Level 1 to online, it was only last year the academy lads had to attend two weekends to do it, as well as Emergency Aid and other relevant courses. My, things have changed with Covid!

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Same, my fan goes crazy when it's processing & my laptop's more than capable of running the game

Mine has always gone crazy. I wonder what causes this, because yours has only happen since the latest patch.

1 minute ago, d d said:

Mine has always gone crazy. I wonder what causes this, because yours has only happen since the latest patch.

No mate, has happened all the time, happened with FM20 too until the final patch (I think) 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

No mate, has happened all the time, happened with FM20 too until the final patch (I think) 

You see 20 was like that for me, the fan was crazy and when the last patch came out it went more silent.

With 21 i have had the fan going loud all the time, and people say there laptop specs, meet there requirement.

5 hours ago, dunk105 said:

The reason I do this is because I know wide play and crossing is an issue and every team plays ptb against me, so I want to be compact except for my fullbacks who get into space. I was inspired by Rashidi's Bayern thread so think the basis of the tactic is fairly sound. 

Hardly as if Im struggling.....despite your sarcastic claps and sighs....

image.thumb.png.e2a981a9b18225de738b571a904cb60c.png

image.thumb.png.ca85f5bc08890e11d22808949fb89306.png

You also miss that a tactic with low tempo and work ball into box should not be resulting in huge amounts of crosses, and also more crucially that the AI does the same, and also that my main issue is the number of attempted crosses attempted leading to high amounts of blocked crosses- completion percentage I have no issue with (this last bit I clearly mention).

I did not mention anything about how good the tactic is. Just responding to your points of why the tactic results in a lot of blocked crosses. And I am pretty sure this tactic is very different from what rashidi uses. I have used that tactic before.

And I have mentioned why you get so many crosses despite the TI `work ball into box' that you used. And lower tempo has no correlation to the amount of crosses that you get. If the other team ptb against you, it is normal for you to get high amount of crosses because the only space is at the wide areas.

In case you missed my previous reply:

Play narrow does not mean that you only attack from the central area. You do most of your build up from the central areas but it does not mean you cannot make your last pass or cross from the wide areas. And PI has priority over TI meaning that the WB and the FB(a) does not care about the TI most of the time coupled with their higher mentality which gives them even more tactical freedom.

Work ball into box is not an instruction that you use every game. It can make it worse for you especially against certain formations.

Edited by zyfon5

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Domoboy23:

On a seperate note, loving the amount of people saying the latest update has ruined the ME. They haven't touched the ME only changed GK distribution and collection of stats.

Well, i did not notice any change to the ME, it plays the same as pre-february-update but then i have 15 mods running from the mod pack so maybe that changes my experience.

Maybe its sort of a butterfly effect where even the slightest change or a reset of lets say i,e, tacitcal familarity or team cohesion shows heavy effects on the screen and makes look like the ME has changed drastically when it is mostly something else.

Is it just me or is AI too effective in punishing higher def.lines? I am losing my mind with games that I thoroughly dominate, missing chance after chance, AI keepers having phenomenal games left and right and then conceding from ball over the top. 

9 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Fifa is used to coach academy footballers? That's worrying if so! Fifa is awful, and completely an arcade experience. At least choose PES which has superior animations and AI that has better awareness and positioning :D

I know! The world we live in now. Wish PES had a proper Pro Clubs mode.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jul/25/how-video-games-are-changing-youth-football-coaching-fifa

4 часа назад, luka_zg сказал:

Is it just me or is AI too effective in punishing higher def.lines? I am losing my mind with games that I thoroughly dominate, missing chance after chance, AI keepers having phenomenal games left and right and then conceding from ball over the top. 

I play in FM21 lower LOE and won many games with worse stats of shots and chances. When I tried to create possession-based tactic, it were sad attempts :) Probably because I dont understand how to play in possession because I like defensive styles more, but looks like if you want to dominate, you need to consider roles interaction better as before. Also looks like you can't just push opposite team as before. I mean manager literally need to have a plan A,B,C as routes to attack. Or it will be high possession with nothing which create empty space in back.

I guess this is true for real life, if we check best teams based on possession like Man City - style started to be more pragmatic and careful. Possession for possession stopped to be effective. And clear ggpressing too.

is the problem with match plans and the imposibility of disabling automatic subtitutions ever going to be addressed? i been reporthing this problem since at least fm19, with multiple reports in the bug forums but it keeps being ignored.

if you are a mod, tester or any user from si games staff, u should be able to see the bug reports, currently they are hidden from public access because for example we cant access to bugs reported in fm21 beta stage

also there are a few others problems that are also being ignored even when there is multiple posts about them in the bug section.

• swap positions, if one of the players swapping positions have individual instructions, the swap only happens in one direction and they never revert back to the original positions, swapping positions only work if you use positional instructions in both swapping players.
  • individual instruction get reverted back to positional instructions, just setup some individual instrucitons before the match, and at some point while the match is playing check if your players are using the individual instruction or positional, sometimes the individual instructions are gone and the player has been using positional instruction the whole time.
  • save/export highlights as video as not been working since the release of fm21
  • passing heatmap and similar tools to analyze matches and/or player performance is not working as intended and in some cases not working at all.

are any of these problems going to be fixed for fm21 ?

8 ore fa, h3nrique_SEP ha scritto:

This is the most true phrase i read on this forum. The best football simulation nowadays IMO is PES 2021 with a bunch of mods and manual controls

Well of course, how can one deny this. FM is a managing game. PES or FIFA are simulation games. If I want to play a management game, I'll choose FM, if I want a simulation, I'll go for PES or FIFA.

I mean, it's like comparing Hearts of Iron and IL-2 Sturmovik. I can't see how this comparison is making a point and why we're having a discussion about it  :)

Still think average ratings aren't quite right, even after the latest patch.

My Olbia save was started just after the patch dropped. For context, we are currently 2nd in the league, despite a preseason media prediction of 17th. But if you looked at the player ratings, would you be able to tell that we're flying so high? I think arguably the best example of this comes from my right wingback that I just signed. He's put up 3 assists in his first 4 appearances. Average rating? 6.82. Last match? Assist. Rating? 6.6. Match before? Assist. Rating? 6.9. I'm sorry but I don't think that's working as intended and it does ruin the immersion for me. And it's a shame too, cause from what I've read, the ratings system was working a lot better earlier in the game cycle.

olbia ratings.jpg

popovic ratings.jpg

Edited by BWZ_Tomek

Look, I understand that you don't want people coming on here pulling the game to bits, but if you want feedback, surely you have to take the rough with the smooth?

Personally, I think that the ME is as bad as its ever been and that's probably because it hasn't really changed since its inception and there are still outstanding issues that remain from back then.

I thought the introduction of CCC's and half chances was going to be a game changer, in that it would finally put to rest all of the frustrations of those games in which you have 20 shots on target and don't score, whilst the opposition have 2 shots on target and score both. I think this is where you've missed a trick, because this would have satisfied at the very least, half of those people complaining(including myself)

Everyone accepts and understands that a massive amount of matches in real life are not won by the team with the most possession, or the team that had the most shots, so on and so forth, but if you actually watched the game, nine times out of ten you will understand why. Possession for a start means absolutely nothing at all in football, unless you have that possession in the oppositions final third and then you have to take into consideration the quality of chances being created. A team that had 30 shots in a match should not necessarily score more than a team that had 1 shot, if all 30 efforts are of poor quality, either from distance or into a packed 18 yard box for instance, whilst the opposing teams 1 shot was an open goal from a well constructed 3 v 1 counter attack.

This brings me to something else, maybe even more frustrating and that's the old cliché "its your tactics". These are by no means MY tactics, they are simply a set of instructions governed by the game that each and every player blindly pieces together in the hope that whoever coded the ME not only had the same idea as to what should work and what shouldn't, but also carried out that task correctly.

If SI were to tackle(sorry) the actual problem, or at least accept responsibility for the misleading information and by that I mean the whole 3D match experience, then the tension on the forums between FM'ers and SI would practically disappear overnight.

At the end of the day surely its SI's responsibility to release a game that both works as advertised AND makes sense and at the moment(in fact for many iterations of the game) that is just not the case.

To finish, let me just add something about a recent issue that has occurred after an update that supposedly had no ME changes. Before the update there were very few CCC's being calculated across the board. I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge, as well as the fact that since the update there has been a massive rise in the amount of CCC's being calculated. Now to most people(I expect) that issue has to be a knock on effect from a tweak to the ME in which we are told there were no tweaks made, so unless the CCC issue has been caused by something else rather than an ME tweak(I can't for the life of me understand how that is even possible) then basically we were lied to and there were in fact however minor, tweaks made to the Match Engine.

Anyway, that's what I had to say and hopefully  its something that can spark a better relationship between SI and its customers, who knows?

Just now, cocogumbo said:

When can we expect the winter update on the Switch? Is this towards the end of March because I think last year it was around the 23rd. 

Unfortunately nobody can give you any exact details of when an update will be released- historical dates can be a reasonable guide usually though.

31 minutes ago, Whufc10000 said:

Look, I understand that you don't want people coming on here pulling the game to bits, but if you want feedback, surely you have to take the rough with the smooth?

Personally, I think that the ME is as bad as its ever been and that's probably because it hasn't really changed since its inception and there are still outstanding issues that remain from back then.

I thought the introduction of CCC's and half chances was going to be a game changer, in that it would finally put to rest all of the frustrations of those games in which you have 20 shots on target and don't score, whilst the opposition have 2 shots on target and score both. I think this is where you've missed a trick, because this would have satisfied at the very least, half of those people complaining(including myself)

Everyone accepts and understands that a massive amount of matches in real life are not won by the team with the most possession, or the team that had the most shots, so on and so forth, but if you actually watched the game, nine times out of ten you will understand why. Possession for a start means absolutely nothing at all in football, unless you have that possession in the oppositions final third and then you have to take into consideration the quality of chances being created. A team that had 30 shots in a match should not necessarily score more than a team that had 1 shot, if all 30 efforts are of poor quality, either from distance or into a packed 18 yard box for instance, whilst the opposing teams 1 shot was an open goal from a well constructed 3 v 1 counter attack.

This brings me to something else, maybe even more frustrating and that's the old cliché "its your tactics". These are by no means MY tactics, they are simply a set of instructions governed by the game that each and every player blindly pieces together in the hope that whoever coded the ME not only had the same idea as to what should work and what shouldn't, but also carried out that task correctly.

If SI were to tackle(sorry) the actual problem, or at least accept responsibility for the misleading information and by that I mean the whole 3D match experience, then the tension on the forums between FM'ers and SI would practically disappear overnight.

At the end of the day surely its SI's responsibility to release a game that both works as advertised AND makes sense and at the moment(in fact for many iterations of the game) that is just not the case.

To finish, let me just add something about a recent issue that has occurred after an update that supposedly had no ME changes. Before the update there were very few CCC's being calculated across the board. I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge, as well as the fact that since the update there has been a massive rise in the amount of CCC's being calculated. Now to most people(I expect) that issue has to be a knock on effect from a tweak to the ME in which we are told there were no tweaks made, so unless the CCC issue has been caused by something else rather than an ME tweak(I can't for the life of me understand how that is even possible) then basically we were lied to and there were in fact however minor, tweaks made to the Match Engine.

Anyway, that's what I had to say and hopefully  its something that can spark a better relationship between SI and its customers, who knows?

The way how CCCs are calculated was changed instead of a change to the ME. If you look at the patch notes you will see it says changes were made to how various stats are counted.

Interesting to see that most 'cheat tactics' around are now strikerless formations with little to no Central Midfielders again, much like the days when the ME was an absolute shithousery. (I still use my own tactic and it works just fine, but it's an interesting thing I found on the 'cheat tactics' that go around at the moment.)

4 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

The first part here is exactly why xG was implemented, to give you a better idea of the quality of the chances you're creating. As seen in my previous reply to you:

The second part is a bit bizarre, you're accusing us of lying but we've been very upfront with the fact that we updated the way stats are tracked (and stats have no direct effect on the match AI itself):

Just to add to Jack's post, constructive feedback is one thing, accusing people of lying (and it's been explicitly shown that's not the case) is neither warranted or acceptable here. Let's not see any more of that

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Just to add to Jack's post, constructive feedback is one thing, accusing people of lying (and it's been explicitly shown that's not the case) is neither warranted or acceptable here. Let's not see any more of that

Yeah, I wasn't actually accusing anyone of lying and as it turns out it wasn't a lie anyway, I was simply trying to ascertain if the CCC count was in correlation with an ME tweak and that has now been cleared up.

Thanks

Was there any job put on goalkeepers in the last update (just that they are smarter and better with passes) ? Because ever since the update goalkeepers seems really good. You have to work real hard to beat them and I dont know if i'm just in that cycle, but every goalkeeper has highly over 7,5 rating. :)

SI plz. Fix the ***** team meetings. Won the league 3 out of 4 times and two in a row. "No way we can win the league, you are very unrealistic." Won the CL 3 out of 4 times "Yeah let's defend the title, that's easy." Let's win the FA-Cup "Whaaaaa this is the hardest trophy to win in the universe, we as puny Manchester United would never be able to achieve that."

Common man I'm not asking for much, just like a bit of consistency and players who can actually factor in past successes the right way. It seems that atm the only thing that influences players reaction to the goals set for a season is the players ambition so whenever you are very demanding those with lower ambition and pressure will buckle and say you are being unrealistic and to a degree that makes sense but common past success also needs to factor in here. Oh yeah and it also doesn't explain why the same players who think that winning the league and the FA-Cup is impossible but winning the CL is pretty much in the bag, that makes no sense whatsoever at all.

22 minutes ago, blejdek said:

Was there any job put on goalkeepers in the last update (just that they are smarter and better with passes) ? Because ever since the update goalkeepers seems really good. You have to work real hard to beat them and I dont know if i'm just in that cycle, but every goalkeeper has highly over 7,5 rating. :)

Keeper distribution was improved, but that was it

1 hour ago, Whufc10000 said:

I mean, if you blindly piece them together then yes, you are not going to understand why things are going wrong or be able to understand how. Tactics are nowhere near as most people seem to assume. If you know what you want to achieve, and what you want your players to do it is easy enough to see when they are not doing that and make changes accordingly. And more often than not I can understand why I do not win games I should. I'll give some examples. I started a new save with the patch. At the start of the season I was not winning games mostly because every shot on my goal went in. That was my 'keeper being crap and out of form. There is nothing I can do about that except try to limit shots, which I do anyway. After 10 games he has played himself into form and we have not conceded in 4 games now. Some things are out of your control.

The second problem I have stopping me winning games is my forwards simply not being very good. That is just a squad issue, and I had no budget to solve it in the first window, so I make do. The players have poor decision making, and do not have the skill to make something magic happen on their own. So I can scheme up ways to create chances, and we do, but our conversion rate is hopeless. This is a problem of needing better players. 

There are some issues with how things are portrayed in the 3D engine for sure, where what actually happened is not well represented. On the whole though the 3D engine makes a good replication of football and easily allows you to understand what is going on. Something a lot of people either are unaware of or want to ignore is that there is no magic tactic that will win all games regardless of the players. Sometimes your players hold you back, or you get bad luck. That is part of the game. It is frustrating, but it is also how the world works. 

2 hours ago, Whufc10000 said:

If you want to know why your tactic isn't working, you have to watch the whole match, or at least comprehensive highlights. There is no other way, and also, all the whys you want to know are right there in the pudding of the game. All changes you make to tactics, instructions, formation, they are immediately visible in the match, so it's as simple too see what is going on as it is when you watch a real football match.

43 minutes ago, maestro31 said:

My goalkeeper kicks the ball to my striker even though I've instructed him to throw it long to my full backs? Way to go SI!

Mine did that last game of the season - down as distribute short to FBs or CBs so he aims a quick kick down the middle and it rebounds off their striker's head and bounces back into the net...

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Unfortunately nobody can give you any exact details of when an update will be released- historical dates can be a reasonable guide usually though.

Oh dammit, I keep delaying a new save, waiting for the patch. Is the youth intake fixed for the Touch versions, too? It's not mentioned in patch notes for Touch versions on any platform where it was released so far, and the Touch forums get very little attention from SI.

49 minutes ago, maestro31 said:

My goalkeeper kicks the ball to my striker even though I've instructed him to throw it long to my full backs? Way to go SI!

Your goalkeeper is human, tactical instructions are not on/off switches. What are his teamwork and decisions attributes?

13 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Are the key passes a thing now or is that a bug? Set piece takers wracking up crazy amounts of key passes  & thus boosting their ratings because they're on corners

It's because too many headers are being marked as CCCs, something SI are looking into, hopefully in time.

1 hour ago, maestro31 said:

It's either because the oppositions wingers are too close to your fullbacks, or you have your keeper on Sweeper Keeper (support or attack) which gives him the Take more risks PI hardcoded into his role. You should be glad the keeper is kicking it long and not blindly following instructions to the point he's just throwing it right into opposition wingers, but rather takes a chance on a play he sees further up the field.

The game is very good at showing you exactly why things aren't going well, or even why your players cant stick to the instructions (short passes, no one close to the player, switching play to the other side getting countered is a sure fire way the game is telling you to sort your midfield out. You just gotta try and take note of the little things/details in the game

Edited by zindrinho

On 27/02/2021 at 09:33, Whufc10000 said:

The tactic(s) I use are nothing of the sort and whilst I do tend to download tactics, that's because I  struggle to build tactics from scratch, so I look for solid tactics that don't have gaping holes in them and then adapt them around my squads strengths and weaknesses.

It's oft less to do with "gaping holes" but the fact that 100% of download tactics are attacking ones, full of aggressive roles/duties from the start.

The AI doesn't manage like this. It may have a fistful of defend duties right from kick-off, and additionally drop deep and keep things compact in general.

You can only ever take points from matches with fewer shots if you have fewer shots. Plenty people do just that. With aforementioned kind of tactics you never will -- additionally, due to your general success the AI views itself as the match underdog more often than not anyways, so oft parks the bus from the get go. I would have thought that after so many years you had this one figured out yourself.

Additionally, the CCCs have always been bad, if you ask me. I had hoped that xG would finally put this to rest, and help yourself too, Garry Gazhammer E. E.g. The Anatomy of Germany’s World Cup Disaster - The Ringer

Edited by Svenc

On 01/03/2021 at 09:00, luka_zg said:

Seriously don't know what happened in this patch but it feels just like FM20 again. People can say the ME wasn't changed, but with all the plain inaccurate CCCs being registered (and all being missed), long balls over the top catching me out (which didn't seem to be an issue in the previous patches) and the eternal problem of short throw ins. Was enjoying the match engine more or less since the release. Took a break after Christmas and came back once I saw the update, defo don't think I'll be playing this version again!