Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Lenzar said:

Yesterday in a network save I am playing I won every single match.

Today I have done no better than draw, largely in part to my players making stupid, unrealistic mistakes.

Sure there's no luck modifier?

You should pick Everton or one of the teams that the devs support as they are so overpowered in this game...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Grifty said:

You should pick Everton or one of the teams that the devs support as they are so overpowered in this game...

You're trying to be sarcastic. This doesn't work when what you're saying really is true.

28 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

You're trying to be sarcastic. This doesn't work when what you're saying really is true.

You obviously hate them game because you're not very good at it and trying blame everything else except looking at you'r own tactics.

Play something else and enjoy yourself, life too short to cry over Everton doing better than your team in a computer game.

Imagine having this much of a hissy fit over an entertainment pursuit that's completely optional.

Your options are fairly limited.  Either you believe there's something wrong with the game and want something to be done about it, so raise things properly in the hope that they'll be fixed.  Or...move on.  Maybe the game just isn't for you anymore, and there's nothing wrong with that.  There's surely more valuable things you can do with your time rather than rant about a game you're clearly not enjoying, in a manner that's not going to lead to any kind of change.

2 hours ago, Grifty said:

You obviously hate them game because you're not very good at it and trying blame everything else except looking at you'r own tactics.

Play something else and enjoy yourself, life too short to cry over Everton doing better than your team in a computer game.

No, I'm just not prepared to accept it's always my tactics. It clearly isn't and it's incredibly disingenuous to imply otherwise.

I've never stopped being amazed at some of the things that the SI apologists try to blame on 'tactics'. 

Haven't played this in a while due to a broken laptop. Going back to it in a week or so. 

Have there been any new updates or fixes? 

I speak mainly about the match analysis tools after a game. 

Sometimes I want to analyze the movement of a player I'm testing in a role, but the heat map just shows me a faded blue I can't even see. So no idea can be got from there. 

Then switch to the "Passes Received" tool, only to find its a convoluted mess and giving me unselected players' names. 

Surely this was fixed??? 

1 hour ago, Lenzar said:

No, I'm just not prepared to accept it's always my tactics. It clearly isn't and it's incredibly disingenuous to imply otherwise.

I've never stopped being amazed at some of the things that the SI apologists try to blame on 'tactics'. 

Fine it's not your tactics, it's your poor man management.

Happy now?

The game does not have a "I'm about to end this whole man's career" mode that it randomly switches on to mess with you. Like seriously, do you not understand yourself how ridiculous that even sounds?

55 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Fine it's not your tactics, it's your poor man management.

Happy now?

The game does not have a "I'm about to end this whole man's career" mode that it randomly switches on to mess with you. Like seriously, do you not understand yourself how ridiculous that even sounds?

I'd agree with you if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I've not even gone into AI players being allowed to start a run whilst 3 yards offside. I'd also like to know how my 'poor man management' excuses an AI player literally phasing through my defender.

Has anyone noticed AI managers staying at clubs waaaaaaaay too long even though they arent winning anything / underperforming? They only leave the club when they either retire or get an offer from a different club. Koeman staying at barca for 10 years while not winning a single league title for example. Very fun for doing a journeyman save where you want to move to bigger clubs which dont become available :D 

Il y a 11 heures, Lenzar a dit :

I'd agree with you if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I've not even gone into AI players being allowed to start a run whilst 3 yards offside. I'd also like to know how my 'poor man management' excuses an AI player literally phasing through my defender.

If you think there is luck involved (and you may or not be right), go all in, exit and reload, even if it takes a little time this patch. But 3 minutes waiting for a return to "normality" and your enjoyment may be better than a whole session of frustration.

Wether you are right or not. Even if it is not a popular opinion, but your game, your way to enjoy it.

Thing is, you may actually be right, at some extent.

I was about to just MP as I don't want all the "it's your tactics" abuse, but :

- I play 14 teams, it's my only save, every version of the game.

- I may agree, that as I am the same person, with the same flaws, the same misunderstandings of the game mecanics and tactical subtleties, and basically the same kind of ideas of tactics (i am of course not really able to implement, but results in terms of scoring are still there)

- some days, i start the game, and the wins fly all session long (a loss or a draw here and there, nothing to be frustrated about). For all my teams.

- some other days, well, it is not really the same. And when this occurs, long gone are the 4-0 wins from yesterday, welcome to the 1-0, the draws and the losses (sometimes large). Here too, for all my teams.

No need to tell you those particular sessions last long.

But now i expect them and deal with it (just go grab something in the fridge every other version when the loading times are broken, which is actually also bad for my health). After all it is just RNG, and seasons when my patience is better, the results are globally the same, just more difficult to achieve.

Edited by Titou

Really annoying transfer dealings coming up at the moment.  I'm Southampton, it's about 2038 and we've won the League 4 of the last 5 seasons and the Champions League once and are 5th in World Rep.  Bought a top English keeper for £85m four years ago (think my DoF overpaid a bit) but he's now 25 and England's number one and voted second best keeper in the world last season.  Over 4 years left on his contract and Chelsea (not ranked above me) offer £52m for him.  I turn it down and he throws his toys out the pram, loses all his morale and agitates the squad!  When irl would this happen?

At the beginning of the season I had similar with my best striker who was 22 and listed in game as the top player in the league.  I turned down an offer from Tottenham (won nothing of note for years and ranked way below me) and he got upset as well.  I decided to name a price which they met (£87m) and he duly signed for them.  When the time came to say goodbye I tried to patch things up by saying "you've earned this chance" but he got angry and said "I didn't even want to leave"!!

4 hours ago, Titou said:

Yes, don't judge me ^^

That's crazy! I get confused between players between my 1st team and U23 squad, let alone between 14 teams I was managing!

Are they all in the same league? Or spread round the world? Do you do different tactics for each team?

14 hours ago, DoubleR said:

Has anyone noticed AI managers staying at clubs waaaaaaaay too long even though they arent winning anything / underperforming? They only leave the club when they either retire or get an offer from a different club. Koeman staying at barca for 10 years while not winning a single league title for example. Very fun for doing a journeyman save where you want to move to bigger clubs which dont become available :D 

Yep, definitely happening in my save too.

14 hours ago, DoubleR said:

I've seen SI staff say that this is a known issue 

il y a 2 minutes, Grifty a dit :

That's crazy! I get confused between players between my 1st team and U23 squad, let alone between 14 teams I was managing!

Are they all in the same league? Or spread round the world? Do you do different tactics for each team?

Not all in the same league, tactics are different (I would be totally lost if i did not stick as much as possible to the original squad, so i have to adapt), but at the end of the day, quite similar, because given the time it takes to proceed a matchday, there is few time for experimentation, so if something works, it has chances to be put in some other tactics if one of my team struggles.

I would get confused too, if those teams changed every year, but no need to say that real life new recruits sometimes get the "who is that Calhanoglu guy i never heard of", or wonderkids the "why does this Mount guy have som many stars, he was not that great last x versions" treatment, untill they become really upset. And luckilly, the times when i watched football all weekend long are not that far. I you knew about CM3 and my "who is that Giggs they offer me so much for, or "this Totti performs really well" when i did not watch a minute of football

2 hours ago, Titou said:

Not all in the same league, tactics are different (I would be totally lost if i did not stick as much as possible to the original squad, so i have to adapt), but at the end of the day, quite similar, because given the time it takes to proceed a matchday, there is few time for experimentation, so if something works, it has chances to be put in some other tactics if one of my team struggles.

I would get confused too, if those teams changed every year, but no need to say that real life new recruits sometimes get the "who is that Calhanoglu guy i never heard of", or wonderkids the "why does this Mount guy have som many stars, he was not that great last x versions" treatment, untill they become really upset. And luckilly, the times when i watched football all weekend long are not that far. I you knew about CM3 and my "who is that Giggs they offer me so much for, or "this Totti performs really well" when i did not watch a minute of football

Fair play to you. I tried managing two teams at once on Champ Manager 01/02 and got bored within 3 games, resigned from one and carried on with the other.

Despite their profile page saying they want a manager job I am finding unemployed staff would rather stay on the dole than work as U23 manager. I even offered one guy 18 grand a week and he complained because I wasn't offering him a DoF job.

I don't think anyone's turning that kind of money down if they don't currently work.

I notice FM still thinks it needs to fill the MLS rosters with tonnes of fake (good) players when you add the leauge after you start a new save, despite the fact there's plenty of (good) real players in them. Why? It kind of kills the immersion when fake "John Sweet", 25, is the star of the USNT one season into the save.

41 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

Despite their profile page saying they want a manager job I am finding unemployed staff would rather stay on the dole than work as U23 manager. I even offered one guy 18 grand a week and he complained because I wasn't offering him a DoF job.

I don't think anyone's turning that kind of money down if they don't currently work.

Depends on the manager, for example I don't think Antonio Conte is thinking of taking a reserve team manager job because it's better than nothing. In my experience though it seems like the longer coaches are out of work, the more likely they are to accept lesser roles with reserves/U-18s/B-Team etc. In any case just check the 'include - realistic appointments - Reserves' box on the staff search filter and you shouldn't have to waste your time with people like that.

4 hours ago, Viking said:

I notice FM still thinks it needs to fill the MLS rosters with tonnes of fake (good) players when you add the leauge after you start a new save, despite the fact there's plenty of (good) real players in them. Why? It kind of kills the immersion when fake "John Sweet", 25, is the star of the USNT one season into the save.

That has nothing to do with the MLS, inactive leagues simply don't have the same number of players as active leagues, so if you activate any league post save start it will add players to all the rosters to ensure the clubs have enough players. Adding players is simply a bandaid to ensure that clubs have enough players when you activate a new league.

Some of the players might be a bit inflated, but I think the MLS in general has a very solid youth intake, so when they generate older players you end up with players with that potential and CA to match due to their age.

On 07/06/2021 at 12:04, pheelf said:

I don't think it's right to characterize the reason why Atlético Madrid won La Liga as being because Simone's played a low mentality throughout. Against teams which he perceived to be better or competitive against his side he did play more conservatively but he didn't when he thought his team was stronger which feeds into my point that playing low mentalities (without alterations) every game doesn't lead to success in the long term. Additionally, when his team has the ball they play a far more progressive attacking style than is offered by a low mentality. His team doesn't really play route one either and actually tends to have more possession than their opponents in a lot of games.

I accept that in one-off games or cup tournaments we have seen that passive style occasionally be successful. I wouldn't say that Tuchel set up for the UCL final was like that. He started with a more aggressive approach and they outplayed Man City and but for some poor finishing would have scored a lot earlier than they did, when Chelsea scored he then went more defensive and looked to hit on the counter. That wasn't the premise of your argument though which was that it should be possible to create a low mentality tactic and play it all the time and have the same level of success as if you played a higher mentality tactic.

Playing on higher mentalities gives you far more room for error than playing on lower mentalities. If you concede a goal on a higher mentality it's okay as your team still has attacking intent and can score, conceding a goal on a lower mentality and not making any changes can be deeply damaging as there is far less attacking intent so less likelihood of your team scoring especially if the opposition after scoring go more defensive themselves. Mistakes are also far more costly as the majority of the play takes place in your final 3rd. If you adopt a high press and your striker doesn't manage to force a mistake by pressing it's not that big of a issue as the opposition still has to get through the rest of his teammates behind him.

No they don't, some managers set their teams up intentionally not to lose especially when a draw would be a good result for them. A team which displays little to no attacking intent doesn't want to score goals and hence is not attempting to win the game. I think you have the misunderstanding here. You can't choose to focus on defense (off the ball) or focus on attack (on the ball) alone, you need to consider both aspects for any tactic you create. In effect, when playing on lower mentalities you aren't shifting the balance between attacking and defending (which the game misleadingly presents). What you are doing is telling your team to be more passive both off the ball and on the ball.

One on ones aren't as easy to score as you maybe think they are, the advantage usually lies with the keeper. Having said that, there is more to whether a striker will score a lot of goals than those 3 attributes you listed. Hidden attributes like consistency play a part also. If you are playing on a lower mentality he is also likely getting less opportunities created for him during the game. What that does is add pressure to the fewer chances that do come his way. What's your strikers concentration like? Much like a GK which doesn't really feature much in the game, he needs to remain switched on so that when his moment does arrive he can execute his job.

Your defenders may have good tackling, marking, heading, jumping reach and strength but if they don't have the positioning, decisions, anticipation, team work, concentration, work rate and determination those good attributes can be rendered irrelevant. If you want to play more passively off the ball those mental attributes should be prioritized over the physical and technical attributes. How good are your midfielders at the defensive side of the game?

You're right, everybody is entitled to their opinion. I don't agree that FM17 (a game I played extensively) is the gold standard but perhaps my opinion of that game has been tainted by my experiences with it.

I agree with what you say about the opaqueness of the descriptions in the tactical creator. The difficulty with using descriptors is that things can be interpreted in a multitude of different ways which often leads to confusion and lack of understanding about exactly what is meant. That is why I want to see pictorial representation of concepts in the tactical creator. A picture is worth a thousand words and is a clear and efficient way to communicate to the user.

Sometimes football managers don't have a clue what's going on and how to change the course of a game in their favour. Had Pep known exactly what to change in order to win the UCL final do you think he wouldn't have done it?

I'll try to explain clearer what I meant with the chess analogy. You stated that when playing chess you knew how every decision you made impacts the game. My point was that you can't know exactly how it's going impact the game unless you're in the end game with few pieces left on the board (hence much fewer variables). The reason is that you don't know what moves your opponent will make until after they have made them.

That is in a game which is far less complex than football and becomes less complex as pieces are removed from the board. Therefore how can you expect to know precisely how making tactical change X will impact a football match? It's not something that real life managers would know.

If you were trying to say that because you don't fully understand the tactical instructions themselves and that's the reason why you're not sure what impact they would have on your teams play, well, that is a completely different argument which I can empathize with. Bringing it back to the chess analogy (sorry), that would be like saying I don't understand how to use the knight so when I'm playing a game I can't see the impact of what the knight is capable of doing.

My only advice then would be to strip it back and only use instructions that you do fully understand (it's the way I play). If you don't understand OIs, don't use them, you don't need them and you can be plenty successful without them. Can't see the impact of a particular TI then get rid of it.

Bear in mind that instructions are only tendencies, simply put, if a player can't perform the instruction you have given them they won't do it. For e.g. If you use the Hit early crosses TI but don't have players in advanced wide areas early in attacking moves to deliver those crosses or have players in the box early to receive those crosses the instruction won't get carried out.

This is a really cogent reply and very much appreciated. 
FM17 does provoke alot of debate. I love it. It seemed so accessible. The graphics have only just been matched……IMO! 
the chess analogy I get what you’re saying. But a player can analyse and learn after playing chess. That seems unlikely in FM, certainly on the inferior tablet version with very sketchy stats.

I have recently drawn several matches in a row after leading with a few mins left against weaker opponents. As each game goes by I tighten up a little more, ask the players to focus, get a tad more cautious and still concede the same CB’s asleep equaliser. It’s monotonous. It feels like fate. It feels like the code is controlling the outcome and takes away the illusion of reality. I find this version repetitively frustrating.

haha. Great comment you make about Pep with one caveat….most people could see he flawed his tactics for the final. He was trying one of his mysterious CL stunts. I don’t mind taking tactical risks and being found out. I do mind putting together a very logical team and formation and still conceding the same bloody goal whatever  I ask my team to do because, frankly, the programme has made it inevitable.

2 hours ago, Freakiie said:

That has nothing to do with the MLS, inactive leagues simply don't have the same number of players as active leagues, so if you activate any league post save start it will add players to all the rosters to ensure the clubs have enough players. Adding players is simply a bandaid to ensure that clubs have enough players when you activate a new league.

Some of the players might be a bit inflated, but I think the MLS in general has a very solid youth intake, so when they generate older players you end up with players with that potential and CA to match due to their age.

But as I said, the rosters are already full. I have all North American based players loaded. There's no need for the game to add players whatsoever. 

11 hours ago, Viking said:

It's the first time I hear the game adds on its own initiative very good players in the squad without being required (by using some options) to do so.

Is there a way of having a Euro 2020 setup where all the correct squads ect are in place?

I know I could holiday to the point of the tournament starting - but really I want to just load up and manage through the tournament with all the correct teams, squads and managers while the real life tournament is going on.

12 hours ago, FulchesterFred said:

This is a really cogent reply and very much appreciated. 
FM17 does provoke alot of debate. I love it. It seemed so accessible. The graphics have only just been matched……IMO! 
the chess analogy I get what you’re saying. But a player can analyse and learn after playing chess. That seems unlikely in FM, certainly on the inferior tablet version with very sketchy stats.

I have recently drawn several matches in a row after leading with a few mins left against weaker opponents. As each game goes by I tighten up a little more, ask the players to focus, get a tad more cautious and still concede the same CB’s asleep equaliser. It’s monotonous. It feels like fate. It feels like the code is controlling the outcome and takes away the illusion of reality. I find this version repetitively frustrating.

haha. Great comment you make about Pep with one caveat….most people could see he flawed his tactics for the final. He was trying one of his mysterious CL stunts. I don’t mind taking tactical risks and being found out. I do mind putting together a very logical team and formation and still conceding the same bloody goal whatever  I ask my team to do because, frankly, the programme has made it inevitable.

And to drone on….I’d love to show you highlights of the game I just played against West Ham away. I can’t because SI took highlights away from the game after years of being there and they CBAd to fix it. Another fine piece of work for tablet players from SI…..

Anyway. West Ham away. 2-0 down after 15 mins to 2 Antonio goals whose playing as a lone striker in4231. My ASsman says we should always close him down. Now if I listen to advice on the forums the instructions to man mark and close down disrupt the shape of my defence. So what is official solution? Should my players not be marking and closing opposition down in my own box anyway! I did instruct to close him down and after 60 mins we equalise 2-2. I know. JUST KNOW. The special SI algorithm will kick in at this point and West Ham will score…..Lo and behold…Antonio gets ball following our corner inside his own half, skins 3 of my defenders and scores a worldly from just outside the box. Closing down not really working but how can it when Antonio is supercharged to messi status by the programming.

we end up winning 4-3 god knows why.

I feel like I’m watching a really crap match on tv that I basically have no input over. Even when I win I feel flat. Other people love the game so I’m clearly missing something but I think it’s awful. Worse than 20 which was a terrible game with about 3 team moves. I really do wonder if it is just a tally of attributes, throw some algorithmythic dice and pretend we’re playing a game.

Edited by FulchesterFred

12 hours ago, FulchesterFred said:

And to drone on….I’d love to show you highlights of the game I just played against West Ham away. I can’t because SI took highlights away from the game after years of being there and they CBAd to fix it. Another fine piece of work for tablet players from SI…..

Anyway. West Ham away. 2-0 down after 15 mins to 2 Antonio goals whose playing as a lone striker in4231. My ASsman says we should always close him down. Now if I listen to advice on the forums the instructions to man mark and close down disrupt the shape of my defence. So what is official solution? Should my players not be marking and closing opposition down in my own box anyway! I did instruct to close him down and after 60 mins we equalise 2-2. I know. JUST KNOW. The special SI algorithm will kick in at this point and West Ham will score…..Lo and behold…Antonio gets ball following our corner inside his own half, skins 3 of my defenders and scores a worldly from just outside the box. Closing down not really working but how can it when Antonio is supercharged to messi status by the programming.

we end up winning 4-3 god knows why.

I feel like I’m watching a really crap match on tv that I basically have no input over. Even when I win I feel flat. Other people love the game so I’m clearly missing something but I think it’s awful. Worse than 20 which was a terrible game with about 3 team moves. I really do wonder if it is just a tally of attributes, throw some algorithmythic dice and pretend we’re playing a game.

So you have bought a game in FM20 you thought was terrible, a game in FM21 which you think is awful and yet you've come on here to moan that you won a game where you had input after being 2-0, won 4-3 and are unhappy because you felt you had no input?

Right...

I really like the fact the better your LLM-teams becomes (towards EL/CL strength) the prettier the actions become. Just had some dude doing a pass with his heel, then the other passing through the center to the striker. The striker shoots at the keeper. It bounces back to the striker and he just volley it into the goal. So amazing.

8 hours ago, Grifty said:

So you have bought a game in FM20 you thought was terrible, a game in FM21 which you think is awful and yet you've come on here to moan that you won a game where you had input after being 2-0, won 4-3 and are unhappy because you felt you had no input?

Right...

this is a forum to share experiences so not sure why you’re highlighting my moaning. I am being hyper critical but SI have no competition so they do need to hear the bad stuff.

in relation to the West Ham game I didn’t change anything cos I felt redundant apart from closing down Antonio- which had no impact and doesn’t seem logical anyway. As the stats are wrong, I can’t watch highlights cos they’ve been removed, you can only properly analyse at halftime on iPad it’s become increasingly difficult to understand what is going on. I really don’t know why my team beat West Ham. So it’s not enjoyable. I feel like the game is fake.

yes I do keep buying it. It’s only £20 so sod it. But I think it is getting worse. I think no competition has left SI clutching at straws. Maybe full fat is better. But FMT on iPad is a bug ridden, feature removed, inexplicable game with worse graphics than 5 years ago.

Spoiler

[continue]

Some club wants to buy player X, your only decent striker, for coffee money. Decline.

[continue]

Player X is unhappy because you did not sell him.

[continue]

Another club steals your only decent scout.

[continue]

The squad wants to discuss why you don't allowed player X to leave. At the end of the meeting everyone agrees you are an idiot and hates you.

[continue]

Game day. Horrendous loss home againt that newly promoted cannon fodder club.

[continue]

A club bids slightly more than coffee money for player Y, your only decent wing back. The board accepts beacuse it's obviously too good of an offer to decline.

[continue]

Player Y leaves.

[continue]

The squad wants to know why you let player Y leave. Everyone agrees you are a clown with the football management skills of a bag of manure.

[continue]

Game day. Horrendous loss. Key player long term injury.

[continue]

Your star goalkeeper wants to be transfer listed since you broke your promise to strenghten the squad. You glance over at the six new players you bought with your £5k budget.

[continue]

Some club steals your only decent coach. Another four players wants to leave because they are oh so unhappy.

[continue]

The squad wants to discuss the poor dressing room atmosphere.The meeting somehow makes it even worse.

[continue]

A mystery Board takeover prevents you from buying any new players.

[continue]

The Board wants to hold a meeting and discuss why you are such an idiot. At the end you all agree that you indeed are an idiot and that you deserve to get fired (and flogged, drawn, hanged and quartered) if you don't win those upcoming five games against the top six.

[continue]

You watch Zealands "Football Manager for babies" on YouTube to try to get some grasp at tactis. After six views on 0.5 speed and "Football terminology for the absolute moron" by your side you think you get it.

[continue]

Match day. You did not get it.

[continue]

Some club wants to buy player Z, your only decent midfielder, for coffee money. Decline.

[continue]

Player Z is unhappy because you did not sell him.

[continue]

Now this is obviously slightly exaggerated, but it's basically my FM experience nowadays; A SNAFU horror game that inflicts stress and depression. And with the risk of sounding like a wife beater: It's your fault I cheat, FM. I didn't change, you did.. I used to love you, now you're just a toxic addiction.

And no, I don't need any tactical advise, or any comments at all as a matter of fact. I just want SI to know what happens when you cater to the guys in here who thinks the game is "too easy".

Guys. Quick question.. Anyone has found out how to disable Social Feed for good? Whenever I bid onto a player it activates social feed for tha player. It's annoying to disable it every darn time, haha. I remember in previous verisons it never re-activated. Guess some kind of a bug? I've really no idea why social feed is still in the game. Personally it's the most useless feature.

20210613185025_1.thumb.jpg.a0c3ccbcb1caf1adc29b134b18492b74.jpg

This picture encapsulates what is wrong with defending out wide. Look at the insane amount of space Trincao has. When De Jong makes the obvious pass to him, he will have enough space and time to turn and run at their backline. Which is exactly what happens later. The Levante No.15 is not sticking as close to him as he should be and sticks to his position too much. Another issue here is the positioning of the Levante No. 6 and No. 3. What are they doing here? No.6 should be cutting off the passing lane to Trincao however, he just stands idly. No.3 has a similar issue. Which passing lane is he cutting off right now? None. He should be shifting to the left side to ensure they don't get overloaded there, since if De Jong turns and makes the pass to Pedri or sends the ball long to Fati, the Levante No.18 is a dead man. He will be caught in a 2 v 1 against qualitatively superior players. Also, he should be sticking closer to Fati. Just look at the amount of space Fati and Pedri have on the flanks. 

There is a reason teams playing possession football try to have players on the flanks who are fast and can take on their man. It is to stretch the opposition to create positional superiorities between the lines for your central players to cause havoc in. This doesn't happen often in FM. The AI doesn't react well to players staying high and wide. This makes it extremely easy to advance the ball down the flanks but almost impossible to progress the ball up the pitch.

Edited by anindyarajan19

Il 13/6/2021 in 15:52 , anindyarajan19 ha scritto:

20210613185025_1.thumb.jpg.a0c3ccbcb1caf1adc29b134b18492b74.jpg

This picture encapsulates what is wrong with defending out wide. Look at the insane amount of space Trincao has. When De Jong makes the obvious pass to him, he will have enough space and time to turn and run at their backline. Which is exactly what happens later. The Levante No.15 is not sticking as close to him as he should be and sticks to his position too much. Another issue here is the positioning of the Levante No. 6 and No. 3. What are they doing here? No.6 should be cutting off the passing lane to Trincao however, he just stands idly. No.3 has a similar issue. Which passing lane is he cutting off right now? None. He should be shifting to the left side to ensure they don't get overloaded there, since if De Jong turns and makes the pass to Pedri or sends the ball long to Fati, the Levante No.18 is a dead man. He will be caught in a 2 v 1 against qualitatively superior players. Also, he should be sticking closer to Fati. Just look at the amount of space Fati and Pedri have on the flanks. 

There is a reason teams playing possession football try to have players on the flanks who are fast and can take on their man. It is to stretch the opposition to create positional superiorities between the lines for your central players to cause havoc in. This doesn't happen often in FM. The AI doesn't react well to players staying high and wide. This makes it extremely easy to advance the ball down the flanks but almost impossible to progress the ball up the pitch.

From my point of view the argument you just made is correct in this particular match, with those 2 teams facing each other. But to be honest you're dramatizing a bit the context.

You (we) have to know that no teams in the world will play the perfect game. In this particular case you can't expect a side - and not a strong one - to be perfectly disciplinated at 70 minutes down by 2 goals. Fatigue and concentration do affect the team performance overall.

Going more specific, for me the issue here is not as huge as you picting it. The ball is on the right side of the pitch. I don't know for how long the ball have moved in that area, but this is something coaches are repeatedly trying to get from their players and something you can easily spot on the internet and it is very simply called "packaging". Basically if your players are able to make short passes around a circuscripted and relatively small area they will inevitably "magnetize" opponents, creating spaces on the other side of the pitch. If this is reproduced/or reproducible in FM is a different kettle of fish, but the concept remains.

Players not sticking: does n.15 have a specific instruction to man mark Trincao and tightly? for what I know, the answer is no. He is holding the line, as he's probably instructed to. Agree on n.6&3 but again, what about their closing down instructions?

N.18: he does the right thing. That's a long pass from de Jong to n.11, the D-line has the time to shift on the right properly and, if ever, number 2 and 8 from Levante are out of position, but again I'd have to check their LOE settings.

You made a good post, but in my opinion before shouting at what's wrong with the ME we need to contextualize the issues in a much more perfectionist way than just point the finger at what didn't work.

56 minuti fa, Heywood JaBlowme ha scritto:

Has anyone ever seen a long distance lob attempt in FM like the beautiful goal scored Patrick Schick vs Scotland? 

To be honest I'm really enjoying the variety of goals in this edition of FM.

1 hour ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Has anyone ever seen a long distance lob attempt in FM like the beautiful goal scored Patrick Schick vs Scotland? 

I have a save where I save/reload matches against an all-200 CA team (weird but a good way to check out some stuff in the match engine, it was way too easy to beat them before the patch this year) and they did it to me once, I think it was right after a kickoff

8 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Why are games over 2 legs so damn ridiculous score wise 

I’d say it’s because on this year’s version, away games are pretty tough and home games are super easy.

Edited by rdbayly

23 hours ago, Federico said:

Players not sticking: does n.15 have a specific instruction to man mark Trincao and tightly? for what I know, the answer is no. He is holding the line, as he's probably instructed to. 

I'd say that no .15 should be sticking closer to Trincao irrespective of whether or not he has been given specific instructions to man mark him. If he doesn't stick close to him, once Trincao receives the ball, he can easily turn and run at him. In real life, fullback will always try to make sure that the winger is not able to turn at run at them, by pressuring him and sticking closer. This isn't going to happen here, because no.15 is too far off to intervene in time in case Trincao gets the ball.

The ball is on the right side of the pitch. I don't know for how long the ball have moved in that area, but this is something coaches are repeatedly trying to get from their players and something you can easily spot on the internet and it is very simply called "packaging". Basically if your players are able to make short passes around a circuscripted and relatively small area they will inevitably "magnetize" opponents, creating spaces on the other side of the pitch. If this is reproduced/or reproducible in FM is a different kettle of fish, but the concept remains.

I expect this to happen. The main aim of having possession is to disorient the opposition's shape. I don't have a problem with my players disorienting the opposition's shape and sucking them in. It's just that it is too easy to do so. Here, the opposition is already in trouble even before my players have entered the middle third. This is a level of efficiency that would put Pep's Barca, who wrote the book on positional play, to shame.

In this particular case you can't expect a side - and not a strong one - to be perfectly disciplinated at 70 minutes down by 2 goals. Fatigue and concentration do affect the team performance overall.

Levante play in the La Liga. I don't think players at the top level should be so undisciplined no matter how bad the situation is.

1 hour ago, RinusFM said:

I've to buy FM22 to fix this bug :lol: I bet ya..

I'd report that as a bug if I were you, since the goalkeeper should spot it and make the decision to not do it. Then again...

Loris Karius concussion caused Champions League final errors, says Jürgen  Klopp | Sport | The Times

19 hours ago, XaW said:

I'd report that as a bug if I were you, since the goalkeeper should spot it and make the decision to not do it. Then again...

Probably already posted 100x times, hehe.

Probably the play out of defense and roll out dont go well

Edited by RinusFM

Am 9.6.2021 um 23:27 schrieb DoubleR:

Yeah, while in Germany two Clubs are famous for their long term commitment to Trainers that do not suck outright (SV Werder Bremen under Headcoaches Otto Rehagel, Thomas Schaaf and to a degree Florian Kohfeldt as well as SC Freiburg under Volker Finke and Christian Streich that with the exception of Kohfeldt (who lead Bremen to relegation mostly due to a lack of resources given by the more and more delusional/clueless management who sold the best players of an already weak relegation candidate) the other shaped their teams for almost decades.

Jürgen Klopp with 7 years at Dortmund is an outlier and Dortmund struggled since to settle down with a new coach, that Guardiola at City long has lived out his own premise of not exceeding 3 years at each club to prevent a burn out situation but where would he go when there is nowhere to go...

But these Clubs/coaches are outliers in a business that has its Coaches employed for maybe 15 months a piece at average...its not unknown that some of the more troubled and uneasy clubs have up to 5 coaches a season (which takes interim coaches into account).

In my FM21 save where i am playing since a decade many of the coaches in the upper Tiers stay for 7 and even more years to their clubs which is completely unrealistic!

Thomas Tuchel for example should have at most a 3 year tenure at a club yet...

And these 15 months average is the reason why no coach can have the team of his dreams but a club needs to develope an identity with a team build around that identity and then a coach contracted that fits that team...you can not develop success in 15 month stints!

i spent 11 seasons at spurs making them a dynasty

i am a legend

i won 9 titles and 26 trophies then left for madrid

10 years later spurs are suffering after some decent seasons and winning the title 2 seasons ago, last season they just abut survived relegation and this season they are a low mid table side

my contract is up in june it is january and they just sacked their manager so i thought id apply and bring back glory

fans are laughing at me and say i have no chance and the club should ignore me and onefootball says something similar when i declared interest

lol why ?

i dont get it they are still ****1/2 rep side and in top 10 or are they laughing at me because im no good ?

genuinley confused ?

i am a club legened

Has anyone else found an unrealistic amount of injuries occurring after you've made your final sub? In 36 games this season I think I have had an injury after my final sub in around 15 of them, meaning we finish the game with 10 men. How often does this happen in real life? Not very often at all.

4 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

Has anyone else found an unrealistic amount of injuries occurring after you've made your final sub? In 36 games this season I think I have had an injury after my final sub in around 15 of them, meaning we finish the game with 10 men. How often does this happen in real life? Not very often at all.

I haven't noticed this much at all but I tend not to make my last sub till around the 80th minute, so I would guess about 2/3 times a season this happens.  When do you make your subs?

23 hours ago, alian62 said:

That wont guarantee a fix . Lots of bugs dont get fixed year after year 

We will see. Like stated a few times by me I hate the fact next version has things patched, but the previous version not. Little bit crazy March is often the latest month it receives a patch. There's some stuff in FM21 that needs to be fixed. Perhaps they should bring out a June Patch or so.