European Super League.

• SI Staff

In relation to the Super League, as always with changes in world football, we'll be keeping a close eye on what changes, however it's far too early to comment on what may or may not happen for any future versions.

At the moment it would be like moving Haaland to Man utd, Way too soon to guess what will happen, They will wait and see how things go and add things to the game as and when they are clear and set in stone 

If and when it happens it will be in the game i am sure

I would love for something major like this to switch up the game.

Imagine those 12 clubs, now excluded from their national leagues and national teams, how would the dynamic be then? 

Very exciting in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, Seyen said:

I'm afraid this super league will kill the national leagues, making Football Manager less appealing.

Someone probably will make mod to play FM without that abomination...

44 minutes ago, Kuchiki said:

I think it's an exciting prospect to see more elite level football played at a more regular basis.

Yeah like arsenal and spurs!Manchester united couldn't even get through the group stage of champions league but now think they are too good to play the likes of leipzig and basaksehir!juventus nowhere near winning there league but think they are too good for champions league.you are entitled to your opinion but I have never been more furious with something that concerns football than this

Edited by Weasek

1 hour ago, Weasek said:

Yeah like arsenal and spurs!Manchester united couldn't even get through the group stage of champions league but now think they are too good to play the likes of leipzig and basaksehir!juventus nowhere near winning there league but think they are too good for champions league.you are entitled to your opinion but I have never been more furious with something that concerns football than this

Arsenal, Spurs and Utd have regularly finished in the top half of the most competitive league in the world and are full of international stars, yes they may be having a poor spell but they are in a more competitive league and are clearly a better calibre of quality than Basaksehir. Also I don't think it has anything to do with them thinking they are too good for the Champions League I think it's just a more lucrative proposition and a better long term prospect for these teams. I respect you have a different opinion though even if I personally don't fully understand why you're feel furious about it.

1 hour ago, grade said:

Then you probably on minority on this one. And if you think that these clubs are interested in making more elite level football to be player on regular basis, you are in for a very, very, unpleasant surprise.

This competition is utter ****. All of these clubs should at this very moment should be heavily fined and points taken out and even relegated, to cut out money of them. I think it is the time for the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, UEFA and FIFA to man up and face these clubs head on, as the clubs have shown they do not honor their supporters, the leagues they played in or the country they play in.

Once I boycott this greed infested league, I will boycott any company that will sponsor, support or represent it in any of their products, that includes SI... I will stop supporting SI financially. To be fair Miles stance of waiting, is making me seriously doubt of their values regarding to football... i think SI should be clear about what their values of football is: a sport directed to fans and community representation or this greed infested league?

I agree I seem to be in the minority, many fans are hugely passionate about this especially the local ones which I can understand as it belittles the histories of such clubs. However I'm all for innovation and excitement. I think it would make a more elite player actually, players like Messi playing against Van Dijk, Stones etc more regularly should make them better players. Why do you not think that? Especially with the large sums of money they can use on investing into their squads.

IMO the Leagues are already greed infested, football is a business after all.

Feel free to discuss how this would impact FM here, but for a general discussion about the proposed Super League, please do so in the football forum:

I believe SI Games going to remove the 'founders' of the Super League and anyone who joins them. Then SI games and us the player just continue with the clubs, players and staff who have football in their heart. Hopefully we can have a proper Football Sim by then with passion, the art and much more. Less billions and millions flowing. Just pure football. 

Edited by RinusFM

5 hours ago, grade said:

Then you probably on minority on this one. And if you think that these clubs are interested in making more elite level football to be player on regular basis, you are in for a very, very, unpleasant surprise.

This competition is utter ****. All of these clubs should at this very moment should be heavily fined and points taken out and even relegated, to cut out money of them. I think it is the time for the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, UEFA and FIFA to man up and face these clubs head on, as the clubs have shown they do not honor their supporters, the leagues they played in or the country they play in.

Once I boycott this greed infested league, I will boycott any company that will sponsor, support or represent it in any of their products, that includes SI... I will stop supporting SI financially. To be fair Miles stance of waiting, is making me seriously doubt of their values regarding to football... i think SI should be clear about what their values of football is: a sport directed to fans and community representation or this greed infested league?

In all likelihood, it will be in FM if it does ever come to pass and to be fair to SI, they would almost be expected to include it.  That said, I very much doubt it would form part of the officially licenced competitions so I highly doubt that the ESL would actually profit from it being included.

Just now, kevhamster said:

In all likelihood, it will be in FM if it does ever come to pass and to be fair to SI, they would almost be expected to include it.  That said, I very much doubt it would form part of the officially licenced competitions so I highly doubt that the ESL would actually profit from it being included.

As I said, again, once I boycott this GIL (greed infested league), I will boycott, any company the 1 inch of them support the GIL, that includes SI.

I do find it interesting how they were basically able to represent football within the game's established models for maybe 15 years, and then they've had to deal with Qatar WC, Brexit, COVID and superleague one after another.

The same way you can go into a domestic league's advanced rules in the pregame editor to change the prize money or change a foreign player limit, I would love to see them add for the continentals/internationals.

IMO it could be pretty easy for SI to solve the "problem" if this league really get's reality and the FA's won't let them play in the domestic league anymore: Remove the clubs completely from the game, case closed. They aren't part of any FA anymore so why should they still remain in the game?

I expect to see a league with the gradual increase of members like MLS: no relegation, conferences, play-offs. And it should be a completely separate structure - a footballer should be banned to participate in other system once he played a single game (either UEFA/FIFA/National competition/National Team or ESL).

But let's spectate how it goes.

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

IMO it could be pretty easy for SI to solve the "problem" if this league really get's reality and the FA's won't let them play in the domestic league anymore: Remove the clubs completely from the game, case closed. They aren't part of any FA anymore so why should they still remain in the game?

This. Well said Dave.

Eventhough im not a Fan of that super league, I still would be disappointed if it won’t be implemented in future FM versions.

if you like it or not, it will be part of the football universe, if it actually happens. 

and lets be honest, if it actually happens, money, players and staff will move there to compete with each other

9 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

I love it, the local leagues are beyond boring, an NFL // NBA // NHL // MLB system makes a lot more sense.

The rest of the teams can continue as they are like feeder leagues and live with it.

I am an American, so let me explain to anyone who thinks this Super League is a good idea what is going to happen.

Imagine it. The Tottenham Hot Spurs against AC Milan. Sounds great doesn't it.

Until you realize that Tottenham hasn't won anything or even gotten into the playoffs the last 5 years. The current season sees them with 1 win, 5 draws, 14 losses. AC Milan isn't any better. Sure a couple of years ago they got into the playoffs, but now they have 2 wins, 4 draws, and 12 losses.

Neither team has anything to play for. A meaningless game with nothing on the line.

Then there is the rumors that Tottenham aren't happy with their local deal and are looking to make a move to Berlin like Inter Milan did to Paris and Atletico did to Moscow.

What is worse though is the fact that neither AC Milan or Tottenham have any desire to spend more money to improve and get better. Why should they? They are making a profit. There is no risk they are going to be relegated and sure they could spend more and maybe make the playoffs, why do that? Any money gotten from getting to the playoffs and championship aren't going to replace the money that is needed to bring in the players to reach that level. Do you really think someone greedy enough to pull what they are doing now is going to loose money just to hold a trophy?

I don't think it will happen, but if it does it will have to be included in FM. As ESL will likely kill my interest in real football, I'll probably want to retreat into the world of FM exclusively. But if the next or future edition is tainted with ESL I don't think I'll buy it. I'm actually running a career on FM19 at the moment and can see myself sticking with that iteration if FM22 or 23 is despoilt.

9 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Eventhough im not a Fan of that super league, I still would be disappointed if it won’t be implemented in future FM versions.

if you like it or not, it will be part of the football universe, if it actually happens. 

and lets be honest, if it actually happens, money, players and staff will move there to compete with each other

In my current save as a lower league manager, I observe with detached interest how ageing elite players bog off to China or US for a last pay-day. I can see that happening with ESL if players are banned from internationals and other competitions. They will be exhibition games or no interest to actual football fans rather than people who just worship celebrity. In my youth top Europeans like Beckenbauer and Best went to the US to join Pele in their big-money franchise. That failed too.

FM will without a doubt have the new upcoming ESL when it becomes absolute certainty - and it's looking that way already.

SI might not be able to secure the rights but they'll still have to implement it in one way or another. Either way I'll be very interested in how it all turns out.

• SI Staff
On 19/04/2021 at 10:28, Luke Hume said:

In relation to the Super League, as always with changes in world football, we'll be keeping a close eye on what changes, however it's far too early to comment on what may or may not happen for any future versions.

14 hours ago, SCCP1910 said:

Perez, Glazer, Agnelli & co are trying their absolute hardest to kill the sport once and for all. Determination 20

More like trying to milk the most money out of it while they can. Killing the sport at this moment does not benefit them in anyway. This is just another investment for them once it is not profitable to them they will just sell it away.

Edited by zyfon5

34 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

More like trying to milk the most money out of it while they can. Killing the sport at this moment does not benefit them in anyway. This is just another investment for them once it is not profitable to them they will just sell it away.

Making a closed league is effectively killing it, but it's not like this was the single event that ended it all. This whole thing started in 1992. Actually UEFA wanted a super league back then, but it didn't get enough support, so they adopted the hybrid league/knockout format we know and love as a compromise with the big boys. From then on, it was all appeasement, and we all know appeasement doesn't work.

The superleague that I had from this site in FM 2014 was superb. It had relegation and promotion. It was a true world super league. It was exciting and challenging well into latter years. 

This stuff they are proposing in real life Hasn't been thought through well enough though. It's not like that league. If it were, I would be in support. 

All these English fans of clubs like Chelsea, Man. United, and Man. City should actually be ashamed of themselves having the nerve to complain about money taking over the game. Their clubs have been doing this the past few decades. I did not see these kind of reactions when Chelsea won their UCL trophy and all the league trophies due to the "investment" from Roman. When their clubs don't spend money, they call-in to shows and whip up a frenzy trying to get him to spend money. See Newcastle and how they've been like, we need money for new players. Where does it end? I could go on! 

Why are all the big name managers suddenly in England? Do you think it's for the football? No! It's for the money. The Sky/BT contract that has shifted the power to the English sides and the premier league. They enjoy the benefits when it benefits them and cry foul when it doesn't seem to.

Implement things well and people might well change their minds. The current format of the Champions league does not make sense, if you compare it in an originalist sense to what it was meant to be. If I outline why I made that statement, this post will be too long.

Let's wait and see what happens.

16 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

I'm with Grade.  SI supports/includes any of this ESL or teams in whatever version of the game in the future it may be, I'm done as a customer.

What an odd view to have? SI produce a game that reflects real life football so we can play it. They are not supporting it, nor having it in the game means they support it, but that's its a thing that is real so is in the game.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Grifty:

What an odd view to have? SI produce a game that reflects real life football so we can play it. They are not supporting it, nor having it in the game means they support it, but that's its a thing that is real so is in the game.

My guess is that the ESL would ask way too much money from SI for their licenses to get their "construct" into the game that SI can't afford it. :applause:

15 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

My guess is that the ESL would ask way too much money from SI for their licenses to get their "construct" into the game that SI can't afford it. :applause:

Merseyside reds vs London blues anyone? Even if they do not license it I will not be surprised if someone could mod a league that is exactly the same. Win-win for SI. 

vor 1 Minute schrieb zyfon5:

Merseyside reds vs London blues anyone? Even if they do not license it I will not be surprised if someone could mod a league that is exactly the same. Win-win for SI. 

Of course you could create the league with the editor, you could already do this with this years FM. I've been asked several times to create it already. Can I do it? Yes. Would I do it? Not in 1000 years

18 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Nah it would be in their interests to be in both FIFA and FM. They will want their brand everywhere

vor 1 Minute schrieb francis#17:

Nah it would be in their interests to be in both FIFA and FM. They will want their brand everywhere

So they will sell their rights for cheap? Sure, I heard there are a lot of very social and generous people involved in this project which really care about the sport and their fans:lol:

I mean, obviously the greed on show is staggering. That can’t be questioned. I think the other huge issue is the simple lack of competition. What’s the point of a tournament if you can never be relegated? What’s the point of it if you can finish bottom EVERY SINGLE YEAR and still turn up to it in the next season? What would be the point for teams in the lower end of the PL and the rest of the EFL to aspire to get to the top if they’re going to find it basically impossible to get into a continental competition with the big teams? And then if they do get there, and let’s say they win it, they still get paid significantly less than the founder members. Where are the ethics? Where is the sport? They’re buying success and it’s not okay. 

Football is brilliant because any team can get to the top and compete against Europe’s best. Sure, the “big” clubs have an advantage financially, but theoretically any team can make it to the top. But where is the motivation to do that if the Premier League is just going to be used as a reserve league for these ESL founder members? They have no need to win the league or get to the top 4 because they’ll be in the ESL anyway. It’s scandalous. And I get that SI might end up putting it in the game depending on what happens, but I don’t think I’d be customer if they did. 

Whether there is an ESL or not I am buying FM22, FM23, FM24...etc.

I love SI. Think FM is the best sports game ever.

I can always mod, and I do journeyman saves more than anything else so this changes nothing for me except IRL football will die a little.

I'd like to point out that SI have their own (weird) policies. I'm waiting for the day to buy the newest version here in Brazil. The main reason they're not selling it here is due to greedy players and clubs who want more than SI offers them. Therefore, I'd believe they either implement it fully or not at all, since that would mean people living in England, Spain or Italy would have to stick to FM21. 

14 hours ago, Herolover said:

I am an American, so let me explain to anyone who thinks this Super League is a good idea what is going to happen.

Imagine it. The Tottenham Hot Spurs against AC Milan. Sounds great doesn't it.

Until you realize that Tottenham hasn't won anything or even gotten into the playoffs the last 5 years. The current season sees them with 1 win, 5 draws, 14 losses. AC Milan isn't any better. Sure a couple of years ago they got into the playoffs, but now they have 2 wins, 4 draws, and 12 losses.

Neither team has anything to play for. A meaningless game with nothing on the line.

Then there is the rumors that Tottenham aren't happy with their local deal and are looking to make a move to Berlin like Inter Milan did to Paris and Atletico did to Moscow.

What is worse though is the fact that neither AC Milan or Tottenham have any desire to spend more money to improve and get better. Why should they? They are making a profit. There is no risk they are going to be relegated and sure they could spend more and maybe make the playoffs, why do that? Any money gotten from getting to the playoffs and championship aren't going to replace the money that is needed to bring in the players to reach that level. Do you really think someone greedy enough to pull what they are doing now is going to loose money just to hold a trophy?

Because you are American you probably don't watch the local leagues in Europe, where always 3 different teams rotate the tittles and accumulate the Champions League money, while the others are just meh.

The only decent league is the Premier, which don't belong to Europe anymore, where you have 6 competitive teams.

The rest of the leagues 90% of the games are meh.

hehehe. It's 23h here in Croatia, I worked until 22h. Came back home and read that Chelsea, Man City are leaving this travesty. Hehe. Other WILL follow.  I admit I drank. 4 shots of rakija. Anyways. Where was I? Oh. Hehehehe. Tomorrow morning, when hangover stops, first thing I'm gonna do is start a new game, edited of course. Where all 12 greedy little pigs are edited one league down. Man premiership is gonna be fun with those 6 relegated to championship. It's about g-d damn time that Nottingham Forrest returns to elite football. 

Man I0m drunk. Did I mention I'm a life long Milan fan. My first shirt when I was 5 (now 34). But they were greedy little pigs and they deserve punishment. I also sympathise Chelsea. And they were the first to do the right thing, but frack it. down they go. It's gonna be a fun game. :Bowen:

Edited by supremo7

5 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Because you are American you probably don't watch the local leagues in Europe, where always 3 different teams rotate the tittles and accumulate the Champions League money, while the others are just meh.

The only decent league is the Premier, which don't belong to Europe anymore, where you have 6 competitive teams.

The rest of the leagues 90% of the games are meh.

I cannot disagree with you. However, I have followed my local college American football team. Tier 3 and the lower part of Tier 3. So I understand the love a person has for the local club that will never go anywhere. They will NEVER EVER play in the NFL. It is impossible. You are right that it is improbable that teams can go up the chain like we do in FM, but improbable is very different than impossible. I mean look at West Ham this season. Everton will not make it, but are still within range. Up until 2008 Manchester City would not have been in any conversation.

If the league went forward as they had described it all that goes away. Yes, right now the haves are really far ahead, but there is the possibility for some clubs to break through. That would go away.