Counter-Press vs. Higher Line Of Engagement

Would appreciate some clarification on this, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. What is the actual difference between Counter-Press and Higher Line Of Engagement?

If I understand correctly, Counter-Press instructs your players to apply pressure immediately after losing the ball. But wouldn't that also be the case with High LOE? For example, what would be your thought process behind choosing Higher LOE, but not Counter-Press? Or the opposite, a Standard/Lower LOE, combined with Counter-Press?

I'm struggling to understand actual differences, if someone could explain them in simple terms, I'd be very grateful.

3 hours ago, Shib0 said:

What is the actual difference between Counter-Press and Higher Line Of Engagement?

Line of engagement is a regular defensive instruction that defines where on the pitch you want your players - more specifically forwards - to start pressing the opposition when they have the ball. 

Counter-press is a transitional defensive instruction that tells your players (except for defenders) to immediately start pressing the opposition as soon as your players have lost the ball in an attempt to win it back. In case your players fail to win possession back within a few seconds of the defensive consolidation phase, they'll look to get back into defensive shape and behave according to regular out-of-possession instructions. 

3 hours ago, Shib0 said:

If I understand correctly, Counter-Press instructs your players to apply pressure immediately after losing the ball

Yes (as explained above) :thup: 

3 hours ago, Shib0 said:

But wouldn't that also be the case with High LOE?

The line of engagement does not define the intensity of pressing, only where you want your players to start pressing. You can press aggressively with a lower LOE or passively with a high LOE. Whereas counter-press is inherently aggressive pressing-wise, but the difference is that it applies only during defensive transitions, which are relatively short. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Whereas counter-press is inherently aggressive pressing-wise, but the difference is that it applies only during defensive transitions, which are relatively short.

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

I didn't understand Counter-Press only applies during transition to defensive phase and stops once the defensive phase actually starts (if unsuccessful).