'Mark Tall Player'

Hi all

I feel like this is the biggest complaint i have with the game, but i do wonder if its just me. I know there are set piece issue threads, but specifically i get annoyed with FM20 and FM21 when for corners my big CB with 'Mark Tall Player' ends up marking a 5ft 9inch player. Typically when this issue occurs, i notice it more as they score with some much taller player than the man my CB is marking gets a header from the corner to score, being marked by a smaller player of mine.

I'd understand if there were only a couple of inches in it, so the decision who to mark isn't obvious. If its a way to allow more goals from set pieces, at least make the graphic two tall players vying for it and the forward player wins and scores, or show my CB being blocked off, or being slower to start his run. Realistic types of goals. In future versions please don't make doing the time-wasting set piece designs pointless as your players will just ignore it.

Am i the only one seeing this? Has anyone else experienced it and found a workaround? I have been on bug forums and nothing with an 'acknowledged' banner is there, so i am very worried that the reason i stopped playing 2O and 21 will be back for 22. 

• 2 weeks later...

Example from playing today. I have one player for wide free kicks with mark tall player. Thats Montes, who decides i probably mean 5ft 8inch David Brooks. That leaves 6ft 2 Wober a free header at the back post. 81 mins. Very annoying, albeit relatively as its just a game. Annoying its happened since at least FM15

Wigan v Newcastle.pkm

This type of thing has been happening since way before 20 or 21, when in 00/01 your CB’s who you’ve got marking tall v tall and smaller v smaller suddenly saw their marking player instructions swap positions dragging them out of position. Annoying, but usually a sign of you’re doing well and the AI is trying to break your tactic, or you’ve not been paying attention to game mechanics.

Set pieces are more random, and to avoid these situations, might be better to see (and then stop) what’s causing them to be whistled against you.

I do watch comprehensive highlights and make amendments to Att and Def corners as soon as i can see something isn't right. This is of course an arduous task due to watching the amount of crosses that hit a FB and go out, and the throw-in offsides in attacking positions. I'd prefer not too and just watch extended, but its the only way i feel i can properly manage the set pieces or see quickly what the opponents are doing without having to concede first.

It appears that Def Corner is usually ok mostly during a game, until the one time they decide to defend as describe and inevitably its a goal. Its more like you say...its decided that they should score from that one so tough luck. Shame if that is the case. Wouldn't mind it if the graphic just shows the similar sized CD and Attacker jostling for the ball and the attacker wins. Why it needs to go against my instructions, that take 5 minutes of my life before every game to get all scenarios right when i have made one player switch, i don't know!

As for set piece flaws, I have seen some crazy throw-ins, in which my attacker tosses the ball directly into the defender's feet. When I first saw that, I thought it was a gentleman's ball back. However, it has been happening over and over, and I suffer some silly counter-attacks. The temporary solution is to set my throw-ins for "short".

Edited by phd_angel

Figure i will keep uploading as a cathartic process. In this one, typically i have dominated but missed two one on ones where my AF poodled the shot at the keeper. Last minutes, they get a corner. My 6ft 3inch CB with 'mark tall player' decides to mark the 5ft 9 striker on the edge of the box, way out of the action. Tallest opponent is 6ft 2, he nods the goal in back stick, being marked by my 6ft RB with 'man mark'. By that point my CB should have worked out that probs best he at the very least marks a tall lad whose in the box!

Wigan v Bournemouth.pkm

Edited by dudek1

Now i notice how common it is thanks to my little thread. At least once a session. This time, second goal my 'mark tall player' CB marks 5ft 9 midfielder, whilst 6ft 3 CB of Arsenal has a header against my zonal marker. Maybe mark the 6ft 3 player my friend, based on what was discussed in the 20 minute set piece meeting pre-game!

Arsenal v Wigan.pkm