Do goalkeepers ever get injured or sent off in a match?

The last time I lost a GK to injury without one on the bench was probably 3-4 FMs ago - I put in a centerback, we scored two more goals and didn't concede any.  If I DO have a GK on the bench due to a lack of outfield players, I'll sometimes put him in at striker in the late minutes, I've actually had them score a couple goals. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the one hand it would be a lot more realistic of GKs got sent off in FM. On the other, we'd probably be waiting a fair few iterations, based on prior history of the series' development, for the frequency of the event to be tuned to an appropriate level.

You know one of the bug threads would be "GKs getting sent off too often" and there's so much other stuff to tinker with and experience in the game that I'm glad GKs aren't getting sent off.

That said, I have had a GK sent off a few times in FM, back when the ME had a bug (FM15 or 16 or 17 I think) where the GK would be holding the ball and leaving the 18. It happened once or twice a season, but it got removed because it was a bug even though it was probably a fair representation of frequency for GKs getting sent off. It just looked bad in the 3D engine so people complained.

If GKs were to get sent off in FM I would prefer it mostly came from GKs coming off their line to slide their body along the ground facing the feet of an opposition player.

Edited by Domus Clamantium

On 11/04/2021 at 15:31, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I can't comment on FM21 as I've stuck with Fm20, but in all the versions I've played I cannot recall a goalkeeper getting sent off or injured during a match. Consequently I never name a gk on the bench. Does it ever happen? 

Definitely happens in FM 12. Had my keeper sent off then the sub keeper was injured. Had to play a defender in goal. 

And just look at how much of a fuss its creating on the forum - basically it's a none issue.

It's never been something worth addressing and it's most likely working as intended by SI. Probably similar to how injuries in general has been toned down compared to real life.

We think that goalies get sent off or injured because there are a lot of matches played each week, and it happening is noteworthy.

I'm not denying it happens in the game less (or never), but I can't remember a goalie for my team (Bradford City) ever getting sent off or substituted ever.

This season in the Premier League there has been 1 sending off in well over 300 matches. The average seems to be just under 1 per season (over the last 5 or 6 seasons), so roughly 1 in every 400 matches.(I'm referring to just goalkeepers obviously)

Of course, most of us play way more than 400 matches per year of FM, so the game figure is unrealistically low, but IRL it is fairly rare.

Not sure how often goalies have to go off because of injury.

Edited by vikeologist

2 hours ago, Tyburn said:

GK’s get injured in matches a fair bit. Perhaps not always so bad they need to be taken off, and with all the modern rules protecting GK’s it’s even less, but it stands to reason they’d at least get some injuries.

In FM they’re basically invincible. Which is disappointing.

And off topic, but seeing as we’re discussing GK’s, does anybody else think it’s frustrating and an oversight that all other players in the team can form chemistry with each other but GK’s are completely cut adrift? I mean, a GK and, at the very least, his CB’s cohesion is vital in football. Why it’s been overlooked for so long is beyond me.

i think the same with a wide front 3. why is my inside forward working well with a defensive fullback and not the deep lying forward giving him assists all season?

Only stats I can find.

All card statistics come courtesy of Transfermarkt.

Goalkeeper: Jussi Jaaskelainen

1 OF 12

2295b9f31ee608c0ff1b1c587d95e117_crop_ex
Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Premier League Red Cards: 4

Thirty-eight years of age and still going strong as a Premier League goalkeeper, it's hardly surprising that Jussi Jaaskelainen stands as the No. 1 issued with the most red cards in its history.

After all, even the most careful of 'keepers might draw in a handful of cautions after featuring in the same division for 17 years.

Unsurprisingly for a player in his position, all of Jaaskelainen's marching orders have come by way of a direct red, with no second bookable offences to mention.

The Finn's 2001-02 campaign was his most forgettable, where Bolton Wanderers had to see their stopper sent off twice in the same campaign. The other two reds came in the 2004-05 and 2010-11 seasons

On 22/04/2021 at 12:29, Baodan said:

And just look at how much of a fuss its creating on the forum - basically it's a none issue.

It's never been something worth addressing and it's most likely working as intended by SI. Probably similar to how injuries in general has been toned down compared to real life.

It’s a simulation. It’s not working as intended it’s because there is a lack of collision in the game. 

One of the most unrealistic aspects of the game. Crazy really. 

• 2 months later...

I had my backup keeper play as a winger in a cup match to rest a player. He got 2 yellow cards and got sent off in the second half. I think it was his 3rd match that season. He did a decent job as a winger all things considered.

3 hours ago, TheMattB81 said:

I just have a feeling if you didn't have a sub, he would not have got injured.

With all my heart I hope that is not the case, cause it would mean that this game is ... Well... I'm not sure I would want to spend anymore money on game like that...

I mean, If I am (in my opinion) silly enough not to have sub GK, I don't want and don't need game to "protect" me by not letting certain things ( in this case GK injury) to happen. I'd consider it a cheating. 

Edited by Prokopije

10 minutes ago, Prokopije said:

With all my heart I hope that is not the case, cause it would mean that this game is ... Well... I'm not sure I would want to spend anymore money on game like that...

I mean, If I am (in my opinion) silly enough not to have sub GK, I don't want and don't need game to "protect" me by not letting certain things ( in this case GK injury) to happen. I'd consider it a cheating. 

I could be wrong, I hope I am. But I have never ever had a sub goalie on the bench and my actual goalie has never ever been injured or sent off in game. 

This is over multiple different saves with a few different teams. 

I have clocked up over 1000 hours playtime. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by TheMattB81

Oh look, it's another game of "let's mistake correlation for causation". :stop: Would having no defenders on the bench make you immune to defenders getting injured too, or does that (hopefully) sound ridiculous? 

4 of the same type of injury in a season, I would very much guess is caused by a recurring injury. 

On 19/07/2021 at 13:31, TheMattB81 said:

I could be wrong, I hope I am. But I have never ever had a sub goalie on the bench and my actual goalie has never ever been injured or sent off in game. 

This is over multiple different saves with a few different teams. 

I have clocked up over 1000 hours playtime. 

Capture.PNG

It happens rarely, but once when it does, you'll wish you had that sub GK ;)

And you never been in situation that your GK plays like crap, allowing goals from his own mistakes and needs to be substituted? It happens to me from time to time.

Last time, I had 4-1 from first game, second game 0-2 (two mistakes from my GK, and he is not some teletubbie GK. first - he literally dropped ball from his hands into goal, second - he assisted to opposition attacker ), I kick him out at halftime, managed to finish game 1-2, but my sub GK had 3 fantastic, cat-ish interventions. Can't  say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure result would not be the same if he stayed till end. 

47 minutes ago, Prokopije said:

It happens rarely, but once when it does, you'll wish you had that sub GK ;)

And you never been in situation that your GK plays like crap, allowing goals from his own mistakes and needs to be substituted? It happens to me from time to time.

Last time, I had 4-1 from first game, second game 0-2 (two mistakes from my GK, and he is not some teletubbie GK. first - he literally dropped ball from his hands into goal, second - he assisted to opposition attacker ), I kick him out at halftime, managed to finish game 1-2, but my sub GK had 3 fantastic, cat-ish interventions. Can't  say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure result would not be the same if he stayed till end. 

No never had a sub goalie as they never get injured or sent off, so instead i use that sub position so that if any player on the team gets injured i have an immediate replacement in that position. 

Until I see a goalie injured r sent off i see no reason to change. 

Still haven’t had a keeper ever injured in a live match (never have a gk on the bench).

Next league game will be the first time I’ve had all senior keepers out injured though, 1st choice picked up a groin strain (3-5 weeks) and backup has a cold (3 days). He was the first “injured” so sent him home before knowing our 1st choice picked up his injury! Both occurred on the day before our league match! Debut for the terrible u18 keeper:D

DA44AF05-7F27-4017-B84E-A2DA88EC62A0.jpeg

0540B3A4-69B2-4DD1-A1CD-52D8758A5E79.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump, but I noticed in the editor that there is barely any injury frequencies set for GK, it is also true for center backs .

Once I changed this, Ive seen GK get injured in matches from just looking around the game world and checking their injury history.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

On 17/08/2022 at 05:37, 2feet said:

It's impossible for them to handle outside their area, so that reduces one common reason for goalies to be red-carded.

Actually, goalies started to see more red cards after so called "last man foul" rule was enforced a few years back. It means that basically in half of the one-on-one situations when goalkeeper makes a foul and there's no defender within 5 metres, it could be red for them. Goalies often get yellow cards for time wasting (another thing you don't see in FM)

For the claim that it's a minor detail - perhaps, but it changes a lot who you should name as your substitutes. I manage Ajax and in Eredivisie I can name 12 substitutes for the game, so it doesn't matter if I need to name one goalie or not. Few seasons back it was 7 substitutes (it still is for Champions League games) and reserving one spot for goalkeeper keeps your other options a bit more limited.

I've had both happen in the same game more than once, but I've been playing since 2003. It tends to happen in the lower leagues and if you don't put a GK on the bench you run a much higher risk of something happening to the GK out on the field, in my experience. It's a lot less common lately but I like to play in the lower leagues and while it's not common, even in the newer versions it can happen. 

6 hours ago, flammen said:

I've had both happen in the same game more than once, but I've been playing since 2003. It tends to happen in the lower leagues and if you don't put a GK on the bench you run a much higher risk of something happening to the GK out on the field, in my experience. It's a lot less common lately but I like to play in the lower leagues and while it's not common, even in the newer versions it can happen. 

It’s literally impossible for a goalkeeper to get sent in the engine though. 

@Daveincid re your fix, is this just an oversight or bug by SI? Why haven’t they made it possible there are more injuries to keepers? Is it a value that’s incorrect?

If so we should probably let them know. 

Edited by DP