The unreasonable Chelsea career of Frank Lampard

We all know how Frank Lampard's career as Chelsea manager went. Started off well meaning, and lasted just over a year until it became clear that he wasn't going to bring immediate success demanded by the club.  His stats as Chelsea manager are summarised in the spoiler below. Basically he lasted 84 matches in total. Chelsea are also famous for chopping and changing their manager frequently in the Ambramovich era, and even proven top level pedgree managers with Champions League wins in their record get fired within 12 months if they don't bring immediate success.

Spoiler

What was Lampard’s first game as Chelsea manager?

Frank Lampard’s first match as Chelsea manager was a 4-0 loss against Manchester United at Old Trafford on August 11, 2019 (the first round of the 2019/20 Premier League season)

Which was the last Chelsea game managed by Frank Lampard?

Lampard’s last game as Chelsea manager was their 3-0 win over Luton Town in the FA Cup on January 24, 2021. His last league game as CFC manager was their 2-0 loss to Leicester City on January 19, 2021.

What was Lampard’s overall record as Chelsea manager

Managed 84- Won 44, Drawn 17, Lost 23, Win percentage 52.39%

Goals scored 163, Goals conceded 106

Source - http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/01/25/frank-lampard-chelsea-manager-stats-list-of-games-lampard-cfc-managerial-record/

In every game of FM2020 and FM2021 that I have started, Frank Lampard has brought continued success to Chelsea for 5-10 years, depending on the length of the game I have played. In every game, Chelsea become the top team in Europe and are always challenging for the Premier League title and Champions League, and it's always Frank at the helm.

Frank is also 'incredibly nice' in the game.

It's the biggest bugbear of mine with the current FM iterations. Not even Ole survives more than a couple of seasons at Man Utd.

Spoiler

Lampard.jpg

Please come in and share your stories of the the unreasonably successful career of Frank Lampard as simulated by FM2020 and FM2021. How long has he lasted in your game?

Edited by jim5000

Same here, I've had one save where he was fired, but then again hired after a few seasons. In all the rest, he stays and is usually pretty successful. In general, sackings are very rare in FM21, it's not uncommon to see all the same managers in EPL after 10+ seasons, in top teams especially.

4 hours ago, Zoolok42 said:

Same here, I've had one save where he was fired, but then again hired after a few seasons. In all the rest, he stays and is usually pretty successful. In general, sackings are very rare in FM21, it's not uncommon to see all the same managers in EPL after 10+ seasons, in top teams especially.

Sometimes I wonder if I play a different game than everyone else on this forum.. 

In my games, Jose, Arteta, and either Klopp or Guardiola are usually fired in the first season. In some bizarre twist, I've seen Klopp take over City and Pep take over Liverpool, but only after a stint at Real Madrid.. The only manager I've ever seen stay 10 years, and the team that nearly always overperforms in my games is Ole at Man Utd. Chelsea slip out of the top 4 very quickly, and sure enough they keep spending and paying way too high wages, but the only thing they ever win is the Euro cup. 

Lampard stayed at Chelsea for 15 years on mine, but wasn't particularly successful, the odd cup or league here and there.

Simeone stayed at Atletico until he retired in about 2039.

Edited by Grifty

Lampard won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2021 but got sacked the following season. Then he went to Bayern where he won the league and a couple of cups in 3 seasons, and then to Man CIty where he got sacked after 1 season. Now he's at Juventus. 

Ole on the other hand has been incredibly successful in my save, winning the league (x3), FA Cup (x3), League Cup (x3) and the Champions League (x2) in 8 seasons. 

Hired as manager Birmingham 2021

Finished 16th in the Championship

Left for Hull in 2023

Finished 13th in the Championship

Sacked as Hull manager 2023

Hired as Barnsley manager 2024

Finished 15th in the Championship

2025 finished 6th in the Championship, knocked out of semi final of play offs

Sacked as Barnsley manager 2027

Unemployed in 2029

In my game it's June 2033;

Ole is still manager of Man Utd.

Lampard was sacked by Chelsea in Feb 2032. He has been manager of Milan since 2032.

Pep was manager of Man C until 2026 (sacked), at Spurs 2026-2030 (sacked) and has been Spain manager since 2030.  Pochettino was Man City manager for nearly 4 years before getting the boot and Tuchel has been in charge since June 2030.

Klopp was sacked by Liverpool in May 2028 and went on to be France manager for 2 years before retiring totally.  After sacking Klopp, Liverpool had Allegri for nearly 3 years (resigned) and then Unai Emery has been there since July 2031.

Things have changed a lot in my game (currently in 2031), here are the biggest English clubs and managers.

Man City: Guardiola left in 2023 and was replaced by Klopp. He stayed on for 3 years before leaving and being replaced by Ancelotti. He stayed for 4 years and was replaced by Jesse Marsch who is their current manager.

Liverpool: Klopp left in 2023 and was replaced by Guardiola (yes they swapped clubs!). He stayed for 4 years before being replaced by Jess Thorup (the Danish manager currently at FC København IRL). He stayed for 4 years before Conte took over and he is their current manager.

Man Utd: Solskjær left in 2026 and was replaced by Zidane who is currently still in the role, 5 years later.

Chelsea: Tuchel stayed for 4 years and was replaced by Frank de Boer who is still in charge 7 years later.

Arsenal: Arteta just left and they currently haven't hired anyone yet.

Tottenham: Mourinho stayed until 2030 and was replaced by Michael O'Neill who have been there for a year so far.

FM 2020 Touch (March 2029)

Lampard is still in charge of Chelsea. He has won 3 league titles (2021, 2022, 2023) and 14 cups (2 CL 2026 and 2028).

Players bought: £2.16B; sold: £1.46B. Average £215M every year in buys and £146M every year in sells. Biggest transfer was Mbappé for £210M.

In my save Frank Lampard is still going strong as Chelsea manager in 2025. I'm playing FM21. Some of the highlights for him have been winning the Europa League in 2024. He also managed to poach Mbape from PSG for a cool 140 million. He was probably one of the reasons why Chelsea won Europa that year. Unbelievable what happens in FM world sometimes. 

Edited by crusadertsar

both Lampard and Ole are still in the job after 10 years in my saves.. both with good levels of success. Man Utd have won about 5 titles in that time and a champions league, chelsea have won 2 titles in that time and a champions league. Both have won domestic cups plently times inbetween. I think its more to do with the fact that they have good teams on paper. Manager attributes don't mean that much in this game. 

You could use the editor to to experiment and put Klopps motivation and man management and coaching stats to 1 out of 20 and Liverpool would still do well. I know this because i've tried it

Using the winter update database, so started with Tuchel at Chelsea.

I'm in the 2024/25 season and Chelsea have been burning through managers:  Tuchel, Roger Schmidt, Espirito Santo. Matias Almeyda and now Luis Castro.

Spurs also burning their way through managers: After Mourinho, Ancelotti, Chris Hughton and currently Gareth Southgate.

Frank Lampard got a job at relegated Burnley job in Nov 2021 where he got them promoted back to the EPL and is still there.

Other clubs have been pretty stable - Klopp, Arteta and Solskjaer all still at current clubs.

At Man City Pep left for the Spain job and Zidane is now in charge,

As seems to be a consistent feature of this year's FM Ancelotti was sacked in the first season, went to Spurs for half a season and was sacked again and is now at AC Milan

• Administrators

After winning the 2022 Carabao Cup, he was sacked in 2023 and took up the reigns at Brighton. 

Despite winning the Euro Cup II he was relieved from the Seagulls at the end of 2027 with a 41% win rate, and ventured abroad to AC Milan in 2028.

Which sounds more impressive than it seems, given their last two finishes have been 8th and 7th in Serie A and have not won the title since 2011. 

57 minuti fa, Neil Brock ha scritto:

Despite winning the Euro Cup II he was relieved from the Seagulls at the end of 2027 with a 41% win rate, and ventured abroad to AC Milan in 2028.

Which sounds more impressive than it seems, given their last two finishes have been 8th and 7th in Serie A and have not won the title since 2011. 

What is impressive?

Anyway, in my save (season 2026/2027) Lampard, Klopp and Solskjaer are still comfortably sit on their benches at Chelsea, Liverpool and Man. U., Pep was fired at some point.

On 10/04/2021 at 09:27, Grifty said:

Lampard stayed at Chelsea for 15 years on mine, but wasn't particularly successful, the odd cup or league here and there.

Simeone stayed at Atletico until he retired in about 2039.

He's now been Chelsea manager for 23 years winning 10 leagues and 33 cups and Chelsea now play at the Frank Lampard Stadium. He's now won 5 of the last 7 titles and is about to make it 6 out of 8.

lampardcareerpath.PNG.74ca658f12d211d264f7a34c24632094.PNG

This is 2025. 

(Bear in mind I used daveincid and majesticeternity's Legendary Managers add on so Lampard started unemployed as Mourinho was in charge of Chelsea)

Lampard: Sacked by Chelsea in January 2021. Allegri took over and has been there since (i'm in Jan 24), winning one cup and is 3rd in league right now, 3 points behind Liverpool.

Liverpool: Still Klopp

Man City: Still Pep

Man Utd: Still Ole

Spurs: Mourinho sacked March 23. Chris Powell caretaker and Mancini since April 23.

Arsenal: Arteta sacked Feb 21. Henry manager since.

Best in my game is Nuno Espirito Santo at Bournemouth. Had them 4th in PL in 22-23 until final weeks when they dropped to 7th. Struggling second season. Spurs finished that season 15th (hence Mourinho sacked)

McClaren is 3rd manager of Leeds in 3.5 seasons

Lampard now manager of Palace, top of CH. Their 4th manager after Hasenhuttl and Rooney. Woy Hodgson retired.

...and maybe if I stopped analysing my save so much I could be on more than my 4th season. :D