4-2-3-1 possession

Hi guys, 

Recently created this tactic, the aim is to win the ball asap & then play keep ball as well as keeping the striker involved with the buildup. 

The problem is mainly penetration. Which then leads to a lot more blocked shots than I'd like. 

I'm not sure what to adjust. Can anyone offer any advice? 

FM.JPG

33 minutes ago, NathyB said:

Can anyone offer any advice?

• Change the right FB to a WB on attack to balance out the DLP and create an overlap with the IF
  • add overlap left TI to create an overlap on the left side without unbalancing the duties
  • Make the SK Support or Attack to have an additional option for you buildup play
  • Add Pass into Space TI to balance shorter passing
  • Remove Counterpress as your default pressing setting is already very high. also with both FB looking for an overlap you need to bring them back into defensive position more quickly to remain solidity

If thats not enough, you can either remove shorter passing or add be more expressive TI.

Edited by CARRERA

1 hour ago, NathyB said:

The problem is mainly penetration. Which then leads to a lot more blocked shots than I'd like

Of course that penetration is a problem when you don't have a single attack duty in the entire setup + playing on a fairly moderate team mentality. The tactic looks like it's created to only keep possession merely for the sake of it. 

Another problem is that by being so extremely aggressive with your defensive instructions, you are forcing the opposition into their deep and tight defensive shell even more than they already are, which unsurprisingly further reduces space for your players in the attacking third. Hence the many blocked shots.

There are also flaws in your setup of roles and duties (besides the obvious lack of attack duties I already mentioned). Your fullbacks are played in roles that are not attack-minded enough to properly and consistently support their inside-oriented wide partners in advanced stages of attacking play, especially in a short-passing/possession-minded style of play. An instruction such overlap or underlap might help somewhat, but not sure how much. 

You also have a midfield runner (BBM) in MCL + IF on support duty in AML + AP on support in AMC + even the lone striker has the support duty, which combined can lead to a lot of congestion in the attacking midfield area, especially the left half-space. 

So you need to think how your roles and duties can create space for one another through their interaction, rather than denying them that space.

16 hours ago, NathyB said:

Recently created this tactic, the aim is to win the ball asap & then play keep ball as well as keeping the striker involved with the buildup. 

The problem is mainly penetration. Which then leads to a lot more blocked shots than I'd like. 

I'm not sure what to adjust. Can anyone offer any advice?

I agree with the suggestions others have made.

What is your reasoning for setting things up the way you have?

I can't understand why you would go all out to try and win the ball back as soon as possible only to then do nothing with it once you've regained possession.

Why is it important that the striker is involved in the buildup when you have 3 creatively minded players behind him?

If I were defending against your team I would congest the central areas as that would severely blunt your attacking threat. If you are one of the better teams in the division, I think that a lot of teams would adopt that approach against you and explains the number of blocked shots as there simply isn't any space.

You need more width and depth to your attacking play and to add some unpredictability, teams can currently read you like a book.

All the best

Edited by pheelf