Midfield Trio - 4-3-3 2DM Wide

In the formation below, how would be best to set up the 2x DM and the sole CM? I am aware that the Volante is a runner so I will need someone back to defend (which is why it is currently set as a Half Back), but what role would be best for the solitary CM?

image.png.92e28c955af854a54a46ab63bcddae0b.png

@EnigMattic1There's not much midfield penetration right now. Why not use CM(a) in middle? Other than that it looks good. Volante and Half back are a great combo (but so is anchor man and Volante - my favourite role combo actually) should offer more than enough stability.

It actually looks a lot like how my Ajax is playing right now. Sort of my interpretation of their Champions League tactic from 2018-19 season. A 4-3-3 that is really a 4-2-3-1. With Tadic as False9 and Van Beek as quasi Shadow Striker - CM (a) behind him.

How is it working for you? 

Edited by crusadertsar

16 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

@EnigMattic1There's not much midfield penetration right now. Why not use CM(a) in middle? Other than that it looks good. Volante and Half back are a great combo (but so is anchor man and Volante - my favourite role combo actually) should offer more than enough stability.

It actually looks a lot like how my Ajax is playing right now. Sort of my interpretation of their Champions League tactic from 2018-19 season. A 4-3-3 that is really a 4-2-3-1. With Tadic as False9 and Van Beek as quasi Shadow Striker - CM (a) behind him.

How is it working for you? 

Would you have any other instructions on the CM(a)?

I agree with @crusadertsar on the attack duty for the single CM :thup:

At the same time, I don't see any good/logical reason for using a role such as CWB in a setup like yours. Neither you play in a narrow formation, nor you have anyone in the midfield to provide defensive protection for the CWB (especially when he is paired up with an attacking wide partner up front).