AI transfers players for big fees and never play them!

Hi there, first time poster. Been looking to see if this is covered elsewhere, but it's not entirely specific to FM21. It's been a thing in previous editions too.

I'm currently doing a journey save with at least 12 leagues loaded. It's about 4 seasons deep and to say the least there have been some "interesting" transfers.

An example of this include...

- David Neres at the end of season 2 moves to RB Leipzig for $30m, however after 1 and a half season despite no injuries, he's played 1 game and then sold on to Flamengo for $8m.

- Also other bigger name players being transferred and never registered to play for the team. This happens quite a bit with Man City, Liverpool and PSG.

I've noticed that some AI squads are also paper thin. For example, in my save in Russia, most of the top teams have a total of 12/13 first team players in their squad list. They make up the match day squad with youth, but they seem to transfer a lot of players out and either don't replace them ...or do and don't register them. 

I'm aware sometimes these situations arise in real life, but to see players like Benjamin Pavard play 1 game for Bayern then move to Arsenal, play 1 game there and end up on a free somewhere random like AEK Athens is a bit too much? I'm not sure how you'd improve the AI in this case, as I get that in lower leagues or even lower down top leagues, players move, it doesn't work out, they get injured etc etc. But a totally healthy elite player playing virtually no games or being unregistered is incredibly odd.

Another thing I've seen mentioned quite a lot throughout these boards is the inability to offload players. I'm not even talking for a fee, like I accept sometimes you have players with high wages who you may have to forego a fee, but it's impossible sometimes to shift a player who's played 30 games for you, has good value and average wages.

I generally love the series, but sometimes when you look at specific players out of interest and see they've played a grand total of 4 games over 5/6 seasons, it's a bit off putting to continue the save.

Are there any plans for FM to improve the way the AI manages their transfers/squads in general?

Hello and welcome :) Appreciate the feedback!

The "buying big and not playing" is something that we have under review :thup:

On 06/04/2021 at 14:31, erd said:

Also other bigger name players being transferred and never registered to play for the team. This happens quite a bit with Man City, Liverpool and PSG.

This is also something we're already reviewing :) 

On 06/04/2021 at 14:31, erd said:

Another thing I've seen mentioned quite a lot throughout these boards is the inability to offload players. I'm not even talking for a fee, like I accept sometimes you have players with high wages who you may have to forego a fee, but it's impossible sometimes to shift a player who's played 30 games for you, has good value and average wages.

It's always been a tough area, as sometimes deals IRL can take time too. The top thing I would consider when making transfers is that they can take time - it's not always that the "team A" is looking for that RB you just put on the list. 

As an example - on my current save, I decided to revamp the team I managed and put 7-8 players on the list. A couple I sold straight off, another two I sold at the winter break and the last ones I either loaned out to get playing time or they stayed to rot in the first team. So the last ones left were gone after one complete season (they were all first-teamers during the previous manager).

If you're looking to wait out even a month or two (and not exercise the "Offer to clubs" option each day like I did before), you should notice a difference :)

Kind regards,

Vik