Hey All,

I would be very much appreciative if somebody could take a look at my tactic below and offer me some advice.

I'm Arsenal in 2028 - I won the league last season playing a 433 which had aggressive off the ball instructions (Very high defensive level, more urgent pressing and counter press) and the effectiveness started to wear off towards the end of last season and beginning of this season so tried to start developing a more rounded and less aggressive tactic. First half of the season went ok but form dropped off massively with only 4 wins in the last 14 (all at home against big teams - Man United, Barcelona, Liverpool and PSG). Struggled hugely away from home both this season and last season as well (last season I had a goal difference of +46 at home and +1 away from home).

In terms of style of play - I want to be pretty solid as a team, decent possession but not looking to pass teams to death and good coherent attacking play with front players linking up well to create chances both through crosses and through balls.

Have a really high quality of player through the team - no obvious weaknesses - good defenders, plenty of good passers, dribblers, finishers, etc. Happy to share screenshots of any key players to the system etc.

Below is my tactic as it stands now and then also the match stats from my last three games to show inconsistency of how we perform against big sides at home compared to how we play against smaller teams and away from home.

Only player instructions are for the two wide attackers to close down more to achieve the split press with the pressing forward.

Any advice or tweaks or weakness/contridictions in the tactic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tactic.jpg

V United.jpg

V West Ham.jpg

V Wolves.jpg

Edited by charliecul12
Missing Info

This is pretty much the exact same tactic i'm using, except the striker, i'm using a Complete Forward (support), and some TIs, so i'll be following the thread closely. How are your Central Midfielders holding up ? Both my DLP and CM(a) have really bad average ratings despite being world class players and suited for the role.

Overall I have the same issues as you. Team plays good, lots of XG, sometimes it seems that I lack punch upfront, even though the XG are good. I'm first in league tied with 2nd, but I scored 12 less goals than them in 20 matches which is quite a lot ! I do have the best defense though, so there's that.

You have a good overall balance in your setup of roles and duties, but too little creative force and movement up front. So I would suggest either switching the striker's role to something more creative and/or roaming (CF/DLF/F9/TQ, depending on the player) OR the attacking CM into the mezzala (also on attack duty). 

On 04/04/2021 at 17:23, Fatkidscantjump said:

This is pretty much the exact same tactic i'm using, except the striker, i'm using a Complete Forward (support), and some TIs, so i'll be following the thread closely. How are your Central Midfielders holding up ? Both my DLP and CM(a) have really bad average ratings despite being world class players and suited for the role.

Overall I have the same issues as you. Team plays good, lots of XG, sometimes it seems that I lack punch upfront, even though the XG are good. I'm first in league tied with 2nd, but I scored 12 less goals than them in 20 matches which is quite a lot ! I do have the best defense though, so there's that.

Yes I have been having exact same issue with my DLP and CM(a) - really bad average ratings despite top quality players.

Thanks @Experienced Defender and @Keyzer Soze for the advice just in pre season but will make a change to a more creative striker role and see how that goes.

Thanks,

I just dont understand how to get tactics working on this game. I am using the above tactic (with a deep lying forward on attack) packed full of world class players (all of them well suited to in theory create a well balanced team) and I just cant get any sort of result away from home. Every team I play away from home looks like 1970's Brazil whilst my team looks like a non-league team. I just dont understand what I am doing wrong.

Just played a poor Bournemouth team away from home and lost 3-0 with them having 19 shots and me 5 - posession was relatively equal. I just dont get how to make tactics work on this game.

18 hours ago, charliecul12 said:

I just dont understand how to get tactics working on this game. I am using the above tactic (with a deep lying forward on attack) packed full of world class players (all of them well suited to in theory create a well balanced team) and I just cant get any sort of result away from home. Every team I play away from home looks like 1970's Brazil whilst my team looks like a non-league team. I just dont understand what I am doing wrong.

Just played a poor Bournemouth team away from home and lost 3-0 with them having 19 shots and me 5 - posession was relatively equal. I just dont get how to make tactics work on this game.

I hear you. I just had a similar experience in an AWAY Europa League match. Where an Everton team beat my Real Sociedad side 2-0. I played a very similar balanced tactic to yours except with False 9 and Mezzala on Attack (instead of CM Attack). We could barely make third of chances they had. And could barely get our ball out of our half. And I built this team specifically with possession football in mind. I handpicked them for their "possesion-friendly" attributes such as first touch, passing, technique, composure, decisions, vision and teamwork and balance. 

It's a really frustrating when your team can beat Barcelona at home but then struggles Away so much. 

Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one. I think we all wish our tactics were more consistent but then the game would probably become too predictable and mechanical, losing its hold on us. Trust me, it's not fun using an exploit tactic and winning everything like in the old days of FM.

Edited by crusadertsar