Tactic help - trouble scoring and in poor form.

Hello everyone, into my 2nd season at Hamburg. Started the season well, winning against Dortmund, drawing 2-2 to Bayern my best 2 results. Things have been just beginning to fall apart recently in mid season, we are 5th (very good from a prediction of 17th) but, it's starting to fall apart. 2 wins from my last 7 games (that includes 4 defeats from the last 5 games) and a reoccurring problem I've had all season - i'm struggling to find the net. My tactic is below:

TI'S In Possession: Pass into Space, Higher Tempo, Wide

TI'S In Transition: Distribute to FB'S, Counter, Counter Press

TI'S Out of Possession: High DL, More Urgent, Prevent Short GK Distribution

SK (SU)

WB (SU)  BPD (DE) CD (DE) WB (SU)

HB (DE)

IW (AT)   CAR (SU)  MEZ (AT) IW (SU)

DLF (AT)

Help and feedback is welcome, thank you.

Edited by YLSFM00
made hb d instead of su

1 hour ago, YLSFM00 said:

HB (SU)

Sorry, but HB cannot be on support duty (only defend). So you either miswrote the role or duty? 

SK (SU)

WB (SU)  BPD (DE) CD (DE) WB (SU)

HB (SU)

IW (AT)   CAR (SU)  MEZ (AT) IW (SU)

DLF (AT)

TI'S Out of Possession: High DL, More Urgent, Prevent Short GK Distribution

While your setup of roles and duties looks pretty decent overall, an instruction such as Prevent short GKD does not make much sense (if any) when you play in such a bottom-heavy system as the flat 4141 (with only 1 advanced player). 

TI'S In Possession: Pass into Space, Higher Tempo, Wide

Can you explain your reasoning behind choosing these 3 instructions, especially the pass into space (which is generally more of a situational than regular TI)?

Also, what is your team mentality? 

Yeah i meant HB, I've fixed it now. I play on positive mentality.

as for my in possession TI'S, I aim for us to play (slightly) more direct on the ball, giving me the reason to use Pass Into Space.

And thanks for the feedback 👍

3 hours ago, YLSFM00 said:

as for my in possession TI'S, I aim for us to play (slightly) more direct on the ball, giving me the reason to use Pass Into Space

Pass into space is not about a more direct passing style. It simply encourages players to pass the ball in front of a teammate (as opposed to feet) a bit more often than they otherwise would. Pass into space does not apply only to so-called through balls behind the opposition defense but any pass that is played into space in front of a teammate (a CB can play a pass into space for a fullback in your defensive third, for example). But the instruction does not change the passing length and direction in general. So if your intention is to be more direct with passing, then simply use the more direct passing TI (rather than pass into space, which is a situational TI, as I already explained in my previous reply).  

However, a potentially bigger problem with a more direct passing style in the specific case of your tactic is your formation with an inherently isolated lone striker up front (because there is none between him and central midfield strata). So the question is whether a direct passing style is a good idea when playing in such kind of formation. I personally think it's not, simply because your striker will need teammates to support him when he receives the ball, which in turn means they need some time to get higher up the pitch and be close enough to him. That's the reason why a more direct or/and high-tempo style can (often) make him isolated and thus more easily neutralized by the opposition defense.

If you want to play a more direct style while using a bottom-heavy formation, I would recommend a bit different formation - e.g. 4132 wide or 41311 wide. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Pass into space is not about a more direct passing style. It simply encourages players to pass the ball in front of a teammate (as opposed to feet) a bit more often than they otherwise would. Pass into space does not apply only to so-called through balls behind the opposition defense but any pass that is played into space in front of a teammate (a CB can play a pass into space for a fullback in your defensive third, for example). But the instruction does not change the passing length and direction in general. So if your intention is to be more direct with passing, then simply use the more direct passing TI (rather than pass into space, which is a situational TI, as I already explained in my previous reply).  

However, a potentially bigger problem with a more direct passing style in the specific case of your tactic is your formation with an inherently isolated lone striker up front (because there is none between him and central midfield strata). So the question is whether a direct passing style is a good idea when playing in such kind of formation. I personally think it's not, simply because your striker will need teammates to support him when he receives the ball, which in turn means they need some time to get higher up the pitch and be close enough to him. That's the reason why a more direct or/and high-tempo style can (often) make him isolated and thus more easily neutralized by the opposition defense.

If you want to play a more direct style while using a bottom-heavy formation, I would recommend a bit different formation - e.g. 4132 wide or 41311 wide. 

Okay, I'll test it, thank you again