My wingbacks basically doesnt do anything

Hello !

I dont usually ask for help because I like to solve it myself, but after few seasons I just cant get it solved on my own. 

The problem is that my wingbacks doesnt do anything. Okay, they do defend and quite good i would say, but the problem is higher up the pitch. When in attacking third they either kick it in defending player, or they loose the ball for free, there is nothing I do to make them better in that regard. I added pics of my tactic I am usually playing, the screenshots of player attributes and theirs history. You can see there are barely any assists, that I dont even mentiong goals. I train overlaps, I train both players in their roles. But somehow they dont do anything worth mentioning . What else can I do to make most of them, as said, especially in the attacking third. In the tactic I even added them single instructions, to cross less often (cauze they suck) and to cross from deep (cauze again they suck doing that). 

Please, any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

herrera.png

herrera_history.png

tactic.png

zagre.png

zagre_history.png

34 minutes ago, blejdek said:

The problem is that my wingbacks doesnt do anything. Okay, they do defend and quite good i would say, but the problem is higher up the pitch. When in attacking third they either kick it in defending player, or they loose the ball for free, there is nothing I do to make them better in that regard.

That’s because you use an extremely high tempo. Is there enough time to run into advanced positions for your “WB”s with a fast play like this? Think about its effects when you select a TI.

When a higher tempo is used; deep runners will have less space and time to use the ball correctly. They need world class attributes for a fast play if you want them to contribute goals/assists more.

Edited by zabyl

Just now, zabyl said:

That’s because you use an extremely high tempo. Is there enough time to run into advanced positions for your “WB”s with a fast play like this? Think about its effects when you select a TI.

When a higher tempo is used; deep runners will have less space and time to use the ball correctly. They need world class attributes for a fast play if you want them to contribute goals/assists more.

Will take that into consideration !

The problem is definitely in your tactical setup, not the players. One of the key issues - as @zabyl rightly noted - is the extremely high tempo. Both because it does not allow the WBs to make any meaningful impact high up the pitch and because it's inconsistent with other elements of your tactic (which is an even bigger issue). 

But there are a number of other issues as well. For example:

- passing into space in a tactic that restricts the space

- the use of tight marking in a system (including the very formation) that is unsuited to such style of defending

- the use of both tight marking and aggressive pressing at the same time (because these 2 essentially cancel each other out)

- contradiction between possession-friendly TIs (PoD & short pass) on one hand and gung-ho ones (extreme tempo & pass into space) on the other

- asking players to do too many different and highly demanding things at the same time (pass the ball short but at the same time extremely quickly and also look to be creative with your movement while attacking)