Training Young Players

If I have a young player, not sure if age matters, but say 17-21 years of age...if he is good enough to be in my starting XI does it benefit him to have that much playing time in his overall development OR does training improvement ONLY HAPPEN in training and not in matches?  I've heard that in someones YouTube video that you can hurt a players development by playing him in actual matches rather than letting him develop in training only.  What do you guys think?

General rule of thumb is that when younger than 18, training is most important.  Once a player turns 18, games are more important.  It varies, though.  For example, if I have an 18-year old and have world class training facilities, it's probably better to just keep him on my reserves roster rather than loan him out.  Depends on which teams are interested in a loan deal.  If a club with a good coaching staff and good training facilities is interested, then loan him out.  However, if it's a League One club with average training facilities and a small/mediocre coaching staff, then I think it's best for him to stay at the club, play for the reserves, and get playing time in cup matches.

There's no hard set correct way to do it, but the above is how I generally try to do it.

That said, if I'm managing somewhere like Switzerland or Denmark and have a 17-year old who is ready to play a lot for the first team (as I do in my current FC Nordsjælland save), I use him on the first team.

Edited by StatboySpurs

3 hours ago, Ragin Cajun said:

training improvement ONLY HAPPEN in training and not in matches?

I think you mean development? That happens both in training and matches for all players.

21 minutes ago, Ragin Cajun said:

Thanks Hunter.  Yes, development is what I meant.  As I mentioned, I was led to believe that development only occurs in training so just looking for clarification for a new save I'm looking at.

Hi RC

Basically under 18 training is more important. Over 18 matches in the appropriate level are more important.

Edited by Sharkn20

The ideal is to find a spot where the young player gets both excellent coaching as well as first team minutes.  There are some twists to this as the reputation of a club and league factor into how much a player will develop so all other things being equal the best spot would be for a more prestigious club in a more prestigious league.  For example, a youth player getting first team minutes in a third division club may not develop as much as a player only getting coaching in a highly prestigious club, even if both have good coaching for youth players.  Something I do for my youth players that I know will not be getting first team minutes is to lend them to a partner club.  In real life my club team sends players to Bayern Munich for training, although mostly just for weeks at a time, but in some cases for a full year.  In my game I may use the editor to lend a young player to Bayern Munich that I know will not be playing first team and from what I see the player will often develop faster than if I kept him with my club, even though I have very good facilities and youth coaching.

I guess you are talking about the top teams of the world. What about for a smaller club that cant really afford to pay someone a wage and loan him out for a few years to develop?

I noticed that young players that gets first team matches do gain Ability Star Rating. The once who barely play any matches gets no improved star ratings. So Id say the training has little effect by itself.

21 hours ago, Speedyol said:

I guess you are talking about the top teams of the world. What about for a smaller club that cant really afford to pay someone a wage and loan him out for a few years to develop?

I noticed that young players that gets first team matches do gain Ability Star Rating. The once who barely play any matches gets no improved star ratings. So Id say the training has little effect by itself.

A small club is unlikely to have the training facilities or staff to develop the kid much. Therefore, his development comes almost exclusively from playing matches, mainly competitive first team games.