Fullbacks/Wingbacks crossing/dribbling attributes too low?

I'm in year 2025 so not so far ahead, and most of the top teams fullbacks/wingbacks and specially but not only most of the newgens, have very low crossing/dribbling attributes (9 to 13 that imho is low at the top level). Is like if every wingback player is more or a defensive fullback or inverted wingback. The game also values these defensive wingbacks very high regarding stars, salary and price.

Is that normal and working as designed? is it related to newgens generation and attributes spread? or also to external database scouts as in 2025 a lot of the players are still the real ones. Are skilled wingbacks (Marcelo, Roberto Carlos, etc) a thing of the past and is defence much more important at that position? I'd say it's not what we see in real football where in fact wingbacks are often more acting as attacking ones.

I have a problem with it, as I'm used to search for wingbacks with at least 15 in dribbling and crossing and I can't no longer find them but maybe I should adapt and accept that 10-12 is actually an aceptable rating for crossing and dribbling for a wingback in the premier.

Edited by Icy

2 minutes ago, Icy said:

I'm in year 2025 so not so far ahead, and most of the top teams fullbacks/wingbacks and specially but not only most of the regens, have very low crossing/dribbling attributes (9 to 13 that imho is low at the top level). Is like if every wingback player is more or a defensive fullback or inverted wingback.

Is that normal and working as designed? is it related to regens generation and attributes spread? or also to external database scouts as in 2025 a lot of the players are still the real ones. Are skilled wingbacks (Marcelo, Roberto Carlos, etc) a thing of the past and is defence much more important at that position? I'd say it's not what we see in real football where in fact wingbacks are often more acting as attacking ones.

I have a problem with it, as I'm used to search for wingbacks with at least 15 in dribbling and crossing and I can't no longer find them but maybe I should adapt and accept that 10 is actually rating for crossing and dribbling for a wingback in the premier.

I’ve found this to be an issue for quite a few versions now, especially with newgens. Only option if you want an attacking full back that can dribble and/or cross is to re-train a decently defensive winger or (my preference) an attack minded CDM/CM that can either dribble and/or cross.

From what I've seen, the AI generally trains the player in whatever their "most suited" role is, rather than what role would suit their tactics. As a result you'll see a lot of players that all fit very similar molds (NCB at the back, DLP in midfield but without defensive attributes, as the role doesn't train those and DLPs go into the attacking training unit, AF up front), as these are the roles that require the least attributes, while roles that require a more all around spread are pretty rare, at least for lower CA players. As for full backs, you'll see a lot of them that are trained as LFB/FB(D) so they barely have offensive attributes. On the other hand, slightly more technical CDs get turned into FB(D) as well since the game considers them slightly more suited for that role (and as a result, I found most of my BPDs by retraining tall fullbacks), but as they started as CD newgens they almost never have high Crossing/Dribbling and fullbacks that actually start out with more offensive traits will just get moved up front and retrained as Wingers, so they lack in the defensive aspect instead. Just have a look at how many players later on are natural as DR/AMR or DL/AML as the AI will retrain most attacking FB prospects as out and out wingers.

Combine this with physical attribute growth being prioritized at young age, which inherently shifts players towards being more physically focused in FM and the result is that unless you have very high CA players that have points spilling over to "less relevant" attributes for their roles most players will end up with very solid physicals, 3-4 good technicals in their main stats and not much of anything else.