Inverted Wing-Back Without High Wingers

WingBack.png.ceae040277aed01d37d49b38cfff27f6.png

I started my Journeyman career and became manager in the Swedish 3rd league. The problem is that there were only 12 players on the team and I didn't have enough money to buy wingers while strengthening other positions. 

So I need to make a narrow build-up, but I don't like the idea of leaving 5 players behind (including defensive midfield) and I'm looking for a role in the right back to reinforce the midfield more. As I understand it, IWB is a naturally narrow role, but in Rashidi's tutorial he mentions that IWB plays like normal Wing-Back when there is no wing ahead:

- If there are no wingers/wide midfielders playing in the AML/AMR/MR/MR slot, then the IWB defaults to playing as a wingback
-      These are done by design by SI.

What should I do now? Can I force my IWB to be more midfield-supporter with the sit narrower instruction? Or if you have any other tactical suggestions, please explain. I can even change the formation completely.

Note: Btw my team is AFK Linköping, if you wonder.

I have to ask why you want him to be an IWB, that formation needs two very dynamic fullbacks to provide width and do a heck of a lot of shuttling yet one is on defend and the other you want to come inside in to a very congested midfield for what purpose?

As I said, there are no wingers in the club so my only option is central build-up. 

My Back's' Dribbling and Crossing are 3, and their Agility and Pace is slow too, so they can't push the end-line or have a hard time moving forward and back into midfield. That's why I wanted to have a full back who could make a connection between defence and midfield, as a partner to my anchorman or CM-defence.

And again, like I said, I am open to completely change the tactic, i'm not a tactician master. If you have any other ideas, don't hesitate to say it.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

I have to ask why you want him to be an IWB, that formation needs two very dynamic fullbacks to provide width and do a heck of a lot of shuttling yet one is on defend and the other you want to come inside in to a very congested midfield for what purpose?

Also, even tho they suck at Dribbling and Crossing, my defenders are tallest in the league and their heading is good. Especially my left-back is 1.91. So instead of going forward and facing the opponent , I thought he could hold his position and counter deep crosses. is this a bad idea? :D

58 minutes ago, lossantos said:

there are no wingers in the club

6 minutes ago, lossantos said:

they suck at Dribbling and Crossing, my defenders are tallest in the league and their heading is good. Especially my left-back is 1.91. So instead of going forward and facing the opponent , I thought he could hold his position and counter deep crosses

If you are "forced" to use a narrow formation due to the lack of wingers and your fullbacks are not capable of going up and down to provide proper attacking support, then maybe something like this could be a reasonable setup for you to try:

PFat    PFat

CAR    CMat    CAR

DMde

WBde    CDde  CDde    WBde

GK

Coupled with simple direct style of play via team instructions.

3 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

PFat    PFat

CAR    CMat    CAR

DMde

Additionally;

A stay wider PI can be added to the left striker to add more options to the left flank.

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you are "forced" to use a narrow formation due to the lack of wingers and your fullbacks are not capable of going up and down to provide proper attacking support, then maybe something like this could be a reasonable setup for you to try:

PFat    PFat

CAR    CMat    CAR

DMde

GK

Coupled with simple direct style of play via team instructions.

2 minutes ago, zabyl said:

Additionally;

A stay wider PI can be added to the left striker to add more options to the left flank.

table.png.e838dd42fb9ef3389872691d9841435e.png

Thanks for this, But won't there be a lot of space left in the midfield this way? There will be gaps between wing-backs and CDs either. Also, I don't think the CMat will get much ahead because his Dribbling and Passing are bad too. We really are the worst team in the league.

How far into the save are you? Before pressing continue on the first day you have to assess the squad's ability and whether or not you can economise on wages. Then send your scouts out.

Is anyone earning too much? Maybe another team will sign them if you offer them out for £0.