[FM20] - A Mediterranean Cruise - From Israel to ???

Introduction

After crashing and burning in my last career it's time for a new save. I took a week off playing and had some time to think about what to do next, and was thinking that since I did youth only last game, I should aim for a journeyman type career this time. Muttley84's maps in the General Discussion thread are good for seeing which countries aren't being played in much, and I saw that neither Turkey or Greece were currently being used by anyone here.

I didn't necessarily fancy either of those countries by themselves, but figured that they could work as part of a wider picture. 

Thus the idea of a journeyman save around the Mediterranean Sea came to me. There's no strict plan or route for this, but I guess as the stronger nations of Spain, France, and Italy are all towards the entrance to the Atlantic it makes sense to start in the east and gradually work my way west.

08356540eb1822d7ed9bd202d270cff3.png

Edited by DaneBramage

The Set-Up

I did a couple of test saves with additional leagues and countries added in from Timo's Leagues Mega Pack, but I was swamped by the sheer amount of teams possible and was finding it impossible to select a starting point. So I simplified things and went with just out of the box leagues.

964afa9ba7a29a7a7614f89a64cbb675.png

I did download a bunch of additional international tournaments as I think that is something that's a bit lacking in FM, as well as creating a couple of my own.

The international tournaments I created myself were:

The Five Nations League: An annual mini league between England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Wales.

The Nordic Nations League: An annual mini league between Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, and the Faroe Islands.

The downloaded tournaments were additional competitions for Africa, Asia, and North America from nabildx. I've put the details and links in spoiler tags for size reasons.

Spoiler

330330fac7253fec2e4340890b2a2d0c.png

7a815d2f01060ca899c6edf12a2e8354.png

2a9b3faaadfb304282dc2f8e58efa38e.png

Job Searching

Picking a first team to start with was still proving tricky, so I holidayed from summer 2019 to 1st January 2020 to see which jobs were available at that time. With the general idea of moving from east to west on the map I decided I'd then look for jobs in Turkey (3rd tier) and Israel (2nd tier) to start with.

There were a handful of management jobs open, so I applied for all available and waited. A few dismissed me straight away, but I was invited to five interviews (three in Turkey and two in Israel). Within a few days I had four rejection notices...

d383191fadd873042ef57855365fac6b.png  eb8e03a0eec89246133a67e5e8216d31.png                                               3032720616c8445454464f0f30e08b6b.png  a82349625085316d58fb4760bc78b98c.png

... and one job offer. My American manager, with no badges and only experience of running a Sunday league team, was on his way to the Israeli second tier.

a7f35c28757339f660e9bab81e429e1e.png

January 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

3da685580ca8ace165f1cf71a0f0b28e.png

I'm already glad this is going to be a journeyman career, I'm going to have to look this team name up every time. And it annoys me that the game capitalises the G in HaGalil, whereas the club badge doesn't.

The pre-season expectation was a top-half finish, but after a draw on 13th January (gameweek 20) saw the club slide into the relegation area the old manager Itey Mordechai was given the boot. AssMan Rob Maas had a 100% league record of two wins during his interim time in charge, which has pulled the team back up to 11th (albeit having played a game extra to most teams in the bottom half).

Each teams plays each other twice, so there's eight games still to go during the first league phase, before the division splits in two and there's another round of games against the other seven teams in your half.

There's clearly some ability in this team, as in the Toto Leumit Cup (for teams in the same division) they made it to the final, although they couldn't finish the job and lost 3-1 to Hapoel Petah Tikva.

c36687c117eadda6bc2cd25b698c8fc1.png

Posted (edited)

January + February + March 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

A very hit and miss start to my time here. Four wins and four losses, 15 goals scored and 14 goals conceded.

Letting in four goals on two separate occasions suggests we're a bit leaky at the back, but in both games we scored at least twice so we were competitive in defeat, we weren't getting smashed. There are goals in the team, we scored in every game in this spell and even kept a couple of clean sheets. With six different players finding the back of the net the goals are being spread out among those in attacking positions.

98ac5fb1b3053e92d4e8896652e0baf3.png

--------------------------------

After 29 games we were up in 8th place, but the loss of the final day of the first phase pushed up back down into the bottom half.

We're one place higher than when I took over though so that's a slight bit of progress. And this might be better for now, playing potentially easier teams should (*crosses fingers*) give us more games we can win in this final phase to give us some momentum going into next year.

9d619b87db75533a377b5c6304305c60.png

Edited by DaneBramage

April + May 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

I gave contracts to the top four players from the youth intake. A combination of bad personalities and a lack of potential meant there was no one else worth keeping around. Our facilities are average at best, so looking at signings this summer is probably a more likely avenue for improving the squad.

c929a4c399ea576f6f406a159d9b5384.png  3cf2a81d1d21a8bbaa807e76acf47dd3.png

324f2a9cd34f47424d33f0ac69a6f335.png

We started the next stage okay with a couple of draws and a win, but everything went wrong at the end of April. I rotated a few players to see what some more of the squad could offer, and the answer was not much. And after that we just couldn't get any kind of performances going again, even going back to what I thought was our strongest team gave us nothing.

We ended the season losing to each of the bottom three, including an absolute thumping on the final day.

924ae8f0c319931d993a0fa725ebcbae.png

This has got to be considered a failure. We've finished the season two places below where we were when the league split occurred, and even one place below where we were when I took over. In addition to that, in just seven games our goal difference exploded from -4 to -10.

I think some big renovations will be needed to the squad this summer.

90d21b51b79a6588ddd813a00ddb8951.png

The board aren't happy and I don't blame them. The final game of the season was being hyped as El Sackico by the media and my position was listed as Insecure (and still is now), so I'm slightly surprised I haven't been fired. 

73bf433cb6a7bcb320749c39e27115d9.png

Not a successful first half-year. I'll need to hit the floor running next season or I think my first job in this career could be pretty short-lived.

ee52d82c54af54e45432f3b8e874bef5.png

June + July + August 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

The media predict we'll finish 9th and the board want midtable. I want an improvement on last year, I want to be in the top half when the league splits for the final phase.

The bookies don't think we'll be troubling either end of the table, with odds of 9-1 to go up and 5-1 to go down.

45970da2199dc6c08aa4809d5b5def80.png

Lots of players left at the end of their contracts. There were a couple that I wanted to keep but they weren't interested, and this early on I wasn't attached to anyone so I didn't really mind that they went.

What I did have trouble with though was finding replacements. We don't have any scouts and the board wouldn't let me hire one either, so that was a problem. I was trying to get my AssMan or data analyst to report on potential targets, but without any luck. So I was relying on agents touting their players to me and taking in everyone I could on trial, to at least reveal a few of their attributes and give me any kind of indication if they could do a job or not.

I managed to bring in three new strikers, which is probably a bit excessive, but when I was offered a youngster from PSG it seemed silly to say no to that. There's also a right back, and two midfielders. We didn't have any depth in the full back positions, and no one that came in on trial was any use (or wanted way too much money). So I had to take a punt and bring in two full backs from our parent club without knowing any of their attributes. 

71167ac6ba38dee7824b2f5e1b84855e.png

The season kicked off with the Toto Leumit Cup, which is just for the teams in our division.

A couple of debutants made their marks in the first two matches with Giacomo Parigi and Isaac Karamoko earning us vital points, before Oded Chekol scored a hat-trick in the third tie to remind us what the old guard could still offer. That put us top of the group stage and through to the semi-final, which we won comfortably.

Annoyingly there's now a wait until the final in September, with four league games in between.

569883506b2cce8bad985a9822642a59.png

74a04311e9b0f7c0baad8ddd20e90883.png

August + September 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We've made a really strong start to our league campaign, a lot of different players getting their names on the scoresheet as we blew teams away at times with our attacking play from the wings. 

We showed grit to earn a result against Hapoel Rishon LeZion, twice fighting back from a goal down to gain a hard-fought point.

After our Toto Leumit Cup final a few days earlier (see below) I had to rest a few players to take on Hapoel Nir Ramat HaSharon. We dominated them but couldn't break through.

743079dc63ea20dec162d6a26ec7abe9.png

Early days, but we're one of only three teams to have not lost a game yet. 

e0a349ad12d27ac54869fcdc4cea8081.png

What an absolute kick in the nuts. I feel cheated. After we smashed our way into the final and were free-scoring in the league I was certain we were going to win, and I'd pick up my first trophy in just my 24th game as a manager.

Instead, we got FM'd. Our strikers couldn't hit a barndoor, and when they could get one on target, Hapoel Ashkelon apparently had the second coming of Lev Yashin in goal. 

Two players were fined a day's wages each for their poor performances.

f80221be796caa7de8a176c2d74d2f28.png

3d4a22ed585a8a40dd5d08b12bb166ba.png

a159678cdc0ee32460c15d81c8277e22.png

October + November 2020 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Following the cup final loss last month heads dropped, as we followed that with another draw to go three games without a win.

We had a couple of weeks off due to the international break so I arranged a friendly during this time to try and get some confidence back into the team. We only managed to put two goals past our non-league opposition, but it gave us the winning feeling again and we took that momentum back into the league.

A late winner against Hapoel Petah Tikva sparked mad celebrations, and the good times continued as we turned this into four consecutive wins. Two players in particular stood out in this spell. The striker we signed from PSG, 18 year old Isaac Karamoko scored in each of these games to make it five in a row, but the key man was probably Pedro Petrazzi pulling the strings in midfield. The Brazilian wants to leave and Santos are sniffing around. With only six months left on his contract he doesn't want to re-sign, and the smart decision financially is probably to cash in on him. But on the pitch, our best chance of promotion is with him playing. 

In November there was another international break and again we played a friendly against smaller opposition to remain active, but this time we lost a narrow game when competitive games resumed. Our next game was against an SC Kfar Kasem side on a three game winning run and could have been tough, but we responded positively and got back on track with a solid 2-0 win.

2cd771e9173da992f47d294ce3345695.png

12 games is the optimum length for a league season, right? Unfortunately not, but I'm very happy with where we're at currently.

Top of the league and top scorers, with just the one defeat so far and a four point gap to the teams in 2nd and 3rd. That being said, we haven't played Nes Ziona yet (in fact, that's our next game), and the one defeat did come against Hapoel Acre. So there's no time to be resting on our laurels, we need to keep going strong and not let them catch us. Hapoel Petah Tikva in 5th place, but on a five game winning run, also look like a serious threat.

eed768c22ace005a6b289b8b9ff69472.png

December 2020 + January 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

December started with a big 1st versus 2nd clash, and a victory put us in an even better position. Up next was the side in 3rd, and another win extended our lead at the top.

A draw against Hapeol Ashkelon wasn't a bad result, and although it took a 90th minute equaliser to take the game to extra-time and then penalties, we squeezed our way through into the next round of the cup. 

But I guess everyone had too many mince pies over Christmas, as we were poor on Boxing Day, in particular the keeper palming one into his own net to throw away two points. We made a spirited fightback to steal a point against Hapeol Bnei Lod, then won our first game in five against Beitar Tel-Aviv. But we were making really hard work of things and this wasn't a good time to play top tier opposition in the cup, and we were unsurprisingly knocked out. January was just too crowded a month to cope with, we struggled with seven games in 26 days, and found it difficult to win matches. Our only win over the rest of the month was against Maccabi Herzliya (in the relegation area), and we also fell to our second loss of the season.

50b30659cc89a01fbda1846a38324ab2.png

At the start of November we were four points clear at the top, at one stage we increased this to seven points, but after a disappointing January where we only gained 9 points from a possible 24 we've thrown away the advantage and now lead by just one solitary point.

February is a much more sedate month with just the four games to fit in, so hopefully we can cope better and not have to rotate in so many second string or tired players.

81889fc59fecd8b2f3a2cab19dcfc94a.png

February + March 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Complete and utter collapse. We've fallen apart. We can't keep a clean sheet and we've forgotten how to score. There's literally nothing positive to say about these last two months. Just appalling in every single way. Tried adjusting to a couple of different formations to provoke an improvement, there was a brief respite with a win over Hapoel Ashkelon but it was then back to the same incompetence next time out.

We peaked in the first few months of the season and it's been all downhill since then. 24 points from our first 10 games, then 19 points from the next 10, then just 7 from the last 10 tells the whole story.

The real low point was obviously the 6-0 smashing by Hapoel Acre. We were without our first choice keeper for a few games but that was no excuse for playing this poorly. We went chasing the game when we were only one-down but instead conceded five times in the final half hour, the back-up keeper letting in practically everything that went his way.

c54125276be68c9fc36604e9d2ad32fa.png

Surprisingly we haven't fallen that far down the table, the other clubs were all falling over themselves to not take advantage of our miserable form and we stayed in the top two most of this time. But Hapeol Acre have come out of nowhere to race their way to the top, and we've now slipped to third. We're in the top half for the league split, but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win a single game and ended down in 8th.

c3e558fe0277a8e1e2def15ac639c7f6.png

Signed three players from the youth intake. Not that it really matters, unless there's a significant improvement, or at the very least even the slightest hint of anything other than abject failure, I don't know that I want to be here again for another season.

531e1fa648013bcad1a02bdb845b7177.pngf2ca8b8cbcddfc2b0f9bd00449305579.png

Posted (edited)

April + May 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We had seven games to rescue our season, and potentially even my career. We didn't start this final phase well, but next time out we beat the league leaders with a couple of late goals to give ourselves some confidence. A goalless draw followed, which was a decent result as we got our first clean sheet in ages.

Then there was a really important four day period as we played twice in quick succession. Two late goals in the first of these ties gave us a boost which we carried into the next for another win. We maintained our unbeaten run and extended this to six games, but couldn't win either of the final two matches.

I have no idea why we improved so rapidly. We did go back to the system we were using at the start of the year, but this was also the tactic we had in place when the rot was sinking in as well. Honestly, I feel like this is RNG going my way rather than anything I was doing.

294dbc88a6dbd9d84e7264dd97fe9bd3.png

So was this improvement enough?

When the league split Hapoel Pekah Tikva and Nes Ziona were 2nd and 4th respectively. They only picked up a combined seven points between them and plummeted to 7th and 8th, leaving the door wide open for us to push for promotion again. Hapoel Hadera and Hapoel Katamon were in good form, but we'd previously built up enough of a gap to remain above them.

Perhaps slightly unbelievably, we even could have gone up as champions. Going into the final game we were top, and if we'd won we'd have taken the trophy home with us. Alas, it wasn't to be, but the point was enough to finish 2nd and take the other automatic promotion place.

212340f8dded902b54470689a6cd2f29.png

Happiness all round, though it's a season that could have turned out a couple of different ways. One more point and we'd have been champions. A better performance against Hapoel Ashkelon in September and we could have won the Toto Leumit Cup.

On the other hand, one fewer win and we'd have missed out on promotion entirely, and the entire season would have been bottled. 

So we've got to consider this a successful season, even if there is a slight feeling of 'what if...'

865c2d44842fa73bdb798f93587de6b2.png

2d6ec494bdfc5fc7737b4e7bd830da2a.png

511e43a2db5092625f1c9529988d6446.png

This seemed like the opportune time to ask for a couple of upgrades to the youth setup.

ee485b52fc069b2537d6e47282c30c5e.png

Pedro Petrazzi had the highest average rating in the league (7.41) as well as picking up more MOTM awards than anyone else (10). Unfortunately he's already decided to leave and is going back to Brazil to join Gremio in the summmer.

Tomer Swisa was the top assister in the division (11), while Isaac Karakomo was the second top scorer (16).

279b8454029a47127fe8eed0e44ab35a.png

64657afa11bd84528e36f71a99b36167.png

e51a83641c5ccd741195429b65b2271f.png

Edited by DaneBramage

June + July + August 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

The aim for this season is obviously to just avoid going straight back down. The media predict that we'll finish in the bottom two, so it will a tough task.

49d683ef8975b243953c8779a0f5af11.png

Lots of players left over the summer as contracts expired. Most of them I wasn't bothered about, fringe players who hadn't played much or youngsters who weren't going to make it, but we did lose our central midfield pairing. Pedro Petrazzo had his pre-arranged transfer back to Brazil, while Kevin Appin wouldn't sign a new contract and wanted to go to a bigger club.

41ee05b91bf5a777afdc51497b37b973.png2fe42ac2abf0740b9ea1613943995940.png

We needed to make big improvements to the squad to have any chance of survival in the top tier, so I went a bit mad with bringing in new players. The problem again was that we still weren't allowed to hire a scout, so we could only make decisions based on players we could give trials to.

We ended up with nine new players, made up of two full-backs, two centre-backs, four central midfielders, and a striker. It seemed like there wasn't much local talent available, as the majority of players being touted to us were from elsewhere. We're allowed five foreign players in the our matchday squad, and we've reached that maximum by adding two Spaniards and two Italians to our existing striker from France. Marco Curto played one game in Serie A for Empoli last season, while Alex Rico was released by Barcelona, so hopefully there's some untapped potential in there we can use.

7af1340fe5b30a503d0670bc2b020c85.png

The season kicked off with the Toto Cup, a tournament for the teams in the Ligat Japanika. I'll be honest, the set-up of this in the game is pretty convoluted, I didn't really understand the format of the competition until Wikipedia came to the rescue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Toto_Cup_Al#Format_changes

The ten clubs not in Europe split into two groups of five. The winners of each group then go into a play-off series with the four clubs in European competition to find out who wins the overall competition. The other teams in Group A then play the team that finished in the same place in Group B, to sort out the overall ranking.

Goals were at a premium in the group stage as we didn't manage to hit the back of the net until the fourth game, but we didn't disgrace ourselves by any means. We kept a couple of clean sheets and drew three games, which was enough to ensure we didn't finish bottom of the group. Annoyingly, the match we did lose was against the team that got promoted alongside us.

b16eda92eec3a0b1643c1f968e841396.png

adfb16067303061442ef1fd6f84648ce.png

In the classification round we took on the side that came 4th in Group B. We put on a very pleasing performance to beat the side that have finished 9th and 10th in the league in the last two years, and this meant we were classified 11th out of the 14 teams that took part.

2274c056244e276841c7248c80e14e2d.png

August + September 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We picked up a very creditable result on the opening day with an away draw at laast year's 3rd place finishers. We were two-up at half-time after two goals from Isaac Karamoko (getting on the end of a corner and a free-kick), but couldn't hold on for the full three points. Annoyingly their first goal came from a lad we had on loan last season, but decided against bringing him back. We came very close to duplicating that result next time out, but in injury-time gave away a free-kick in a dangerous position and were punished for it.

After a couple of goalless draws, one of which we dominated but were so wasteful up front, I added a couple of chance conversion training sessions to the following week. Whether or not that actually made a difference I can't say for sure, but I'd like to think it did as we then beat Ashdod 1-0 for our first win of the season.

fcfb0fb0a459a177ee3933ebe992ae6e.png

The win against Ashdod came at a good time, we weren't losing many games and our defensive record isn't bad at all, but I was starting to get a bit worried about not winning yet. With that monkey off our back hopefully we can push on and try to solidify ourselves in a midtable position.

9bbc49b7f2d2ab64794432f4950dd920.png

October + November 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We kicked off October with a great result. A second minute opener set the tone, and we blitzed Maccabi Netanya with a further three goals by the half-hour mark. Youssef Taha will take the headlines for his hat-trick from the right wing, but Ryan Ashmouz deserves just as much credit for his four assists from the left. After a bit of a barren run by his standards Isaac Karamoko got in on the fun with a hat-trick against Maccabi Petah Tikva, but unfortunately that wasn't enough to earn the win as we were rubbish at the other end.

Both hat-trick heroes were on the scoresheet against Hapoel Acre, an important win against the side that got promoted with us. Prior to the tie against Hapeol Ironi Kiryat Shmona I added additional training sessions for setpiece delivery and attacking free-kicks, and this paid off brilliantly. Alex Corredera showed his quality with a goal and two assists, all from free-kicks.

In November we only had two league matches, going up against two of the top three. I expected to get stomped on twice and put firmly back in our place. We did lose against Maccabi Tel Aviv, but before that we managed to pick up an upset victory over Beitar Jerusalem. 

f13d42db88d16d4ca55ca5f6c1227d76.png

What an absolutely fantastic run of form we've been on. Before the setback against Maccabi Tel Aviv we'd gone eight games unbeaten, with five wins in this time, and during October the goals were flying in.

To the surprise of everyone, including myself, this has put us up in 4th place and inside the European qualification spots. 

8f408e4b14cdab4eb590618ed6266ebb.png

December 2021 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We had a busy December and it couldn't have got off to a better start, as a brace from Isaac Karamoko (which saw him reach double figures for the season) helped us to a 2-1 win over Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv. We played their city rivals Hapoel Tel Aviv next, and although we emerged with a point there was an element of luck to it, Sagi Malul saving a penalty on the stroke of half-time.

There was only a two day break before the next game so I had to rotate a lot of players against Maccabi Haifa. I expected a loss, but even so, those that came in really let themselves down and we got absolutely walloped. They had a chance to show they deserved more gametime, instead they proved that they deserved to be benchwarmers. The first string were back for the Hapoel Bnei Lod cup tie, and while they weren't as clinical as I'd have liked (just two goals from 22 shots), at least Dor Hugi ended his 16 hour goal drought with a header that helped us advance to the next round. A week later he scored again, this time netting the opener on our way to an easy victory over Hapoel Haifa.

With three games in the space of a week (we play again on 1st January) I rested a lot players against Hapoel Be'er Sheva, to prioritise the following game which looked like a more winnable fixture. The backups gave a better showing of themselves this time, but still fell to a respectable defeat.

a7121c9234cbcf96f9b4b91ef3f997c3.png

A mixed set of results sees us in pretty much the same position as we were at the start of the month. We hold on to fourth place with the top two pulling away, and a whole host of clubs waiting in the wings to overtake us if we slip up.

85b100bca7039eb30a1fedf118370ec2.png

Posted (edited)

January 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

In the second half of the month I brought in a couple of extra players on loan; a winger who can play on either side to give us a bit more oomph in attack, and a centre-back to cover for injury.

1dcfc697314140d46a41d8e631fb20f2.png

We failed to start the new year with a bang as our attacking contingent embarrassed themselves against Hapoel Kfar Saba. We absolutely dominated the game, taking a total of 33 shots (12 on target), but contrived to avoid scoring even once, despite playing more than half the game against ten men. We concentrated on offensive drills over the next week and put on a much better attacking display to tear Ashdod apart.

A home tie in the cup against Hapeol Ramat Gan Giv'atayim (8th in the Liga Leumit) should have been an easy win, but we made really hard work of it, missing a penalty in normal-time and then relying on a shootout to progress. We don't have a strong enough squad to cope with multiple games in quick succession, and a tired team then lost a tight tie to Maccabi Netanya.

Away at Maccabi Petah Tikva we almost scraped a possibly undeserved win, but to leave with only one point after conceding an own goal in the 92nd minute felt like a loss. With our current form scrappy at best it was a relief to play Hapoel Acre, who were on a run of six games without a win. We kicked them while they were down, several players putting on good displays as we gave our goal difference a little boost.

ec778513e4cd75b3f0ff08922479d08b.png

Two wins, two draws, and just the one loss gives us a return of eight points from a possible fifteen this month. At one point we'd jumped up to 3rd in the table, at another we'd fallen to 5th, but ultimately we remain in 4th.

f0f77bc3dd14268c7a69d14d4275914a.png

Edited by DaneBramage

February + March 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

I was really annoyed by the cup loss to Maccabi Haifa. 26 shots (13 on target) should be plenty, but we just couldn't score and then gave away a penalty deep into extra-time. A game against Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona should have been the ideal tie to put us back on the winning track, but without a cup game in midweek they were much fresher and ran rings around us. We were lucky to escape with a point.

We left things late against Beitar Jerusalem but an assault on their goal in the last ten minutes saw us net twice to take the points. That was the last bit of joy for a while though, as we were heavily beaten by Maccabi Tel Aviv before losing consecutive games for the first time all campaign, and two losses very quickly turned into three as we ended the first phase of the season with a whimper.

5e2efc7e5a057546620167be28370055.png

A bad month sees us stay in 4th place, but Beitar Jerusalem have stretched out a little gap up to 3rd, and the teams in 5th and 6th are right on our heels. 

The league has split now and there are ten games remaining, as we play each of these other sides in the top half twice. It'll be very tough trying to hold on to 4th, we've only three of our games this year against other sides in the top half (Maccabi Netanya once and Beitar Jerusalem twice).

Although the league table shows 4th place as still earning a European spot, I don't think we can claim it. 4th place only gets an entry to the Conference League if the cup winner finishes in the top three (otherwise it goes to the cup winner), and the sides remaining in the semi-finals are Maccabi Petah Tikva and three bottom half sides.

710c48ef09a20acc7ff74a6ae784bdcf.png

Posted (edited)

March + April 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

This was one of the weakest youth intakes I've seen in any of my FM20 careers so far, just two players were picked up. Despite the names, they don't seem to be related.

49a3172e1042ec4708193271847df54c.png28f2ad7de69ac8a6b7483e9ddefb7bcf.png

We were lucky to get a point against Beitar Jerusalem, benefitting from a suicidal backpass to earn a very lucky draw. We weren't so fortunate against Maccabi Netanya though and received a sound beating, as time after time our defence parted and allowed to them waltz through without a challenge.

A bore draw at home to Maccabi Petah Tikva at least saw us keep our first clean sheet since 1st January, and late pressure against Hapoel Be'er Sheva saw us pounce on a weak backpass to grab a 91st minute equaliser. 

Two draws is hardly what you'd consider momentum to be, but it was about as good as we'd been over the last two months so now was as good a time as any to host Maccabi Tel Aviv. And in a big surprise we pulled off the upset, a good defensive display restricting them to potshots from range, and when we won a second half penalty we took our chance to sneak the victory. Three days later another penalty kickstarted the fun and set us on our way to a satisfying win over Beitar Jerusalem. We couldn't follow up that up with another win, but the draw we rescued with an 89th minute strike against Maccabi Netanya felt like a triumph. I'd added a match plan recently to go more attacking in the final five minutes if we were one down, so I'd like to think it was this change that had made the difference. 

Our nine goals in this period were split equally among three players. Isaac Karamoko is by far our biggest talent, our top scorer last year and on course to be the Ligat Japanika top scorer this year. He's too good for us really and isn't interested in signing a new contract at the moment, I'd be surprised if he's still here next season. Dor Hugi was an absolute donkey in the first half of the season and was looking like a massive flop, but he's come along a lot stronger in recent months and might just do enough to earn a new contract, especially if his strike partner is off. Ofir Mizrahi came in on loan in January, and I'll be looking to make this permanent in the summer if possible.

24d23a419d60f7feac27db36ca0d8d52.png

We're still holding on to 4th place, but our position is a precarious as it's ever been, just one point above Maccabi Netanya. Our final three matches are against Maccabi Petah Tikva (a), Hapoel Be'er Sheva (h), and Maccabi Tel Aviv (a).

ff5ade32e00394d0b1c13934afb3de7c.png

Edited by DaneBramage
Posted (edited)

May 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We finished the season with a pair of good wins, followed by a narrow defeat to the champions-elect. We didn't yet know where we'd finish in the table though, either 4th or 5th was still possible. The final game of the season, Maccabi Netanya v Maccabi Petah Tikva, was being played three games later than our final match due to Maccabi Petah Tikva's cup final participation.

eef6eb98a495a6dd2844509b2feb445e.png

In a big old upset, Maccabi Petah Tikva (no wins in nine) beat Maccabi Netanya 2-1 (unbeaten in 14) on the final day. That's the exact result we wanted, and it meant we stayed in 4th place. It would have been heartbreaking to fall to 5th at the last hurdle, we definitely deserved a top four finish. It's just unfortunate that the cup was won by a side outside of the top three, European qualification would have been the real icing on the cake.

fd80e5b507bbaa66c8eb4ba118bc7505.png

I agree with the board on this, I'm super chuffed with how this season has gone. In our first year at this level I expected to be in a relegation battle, to actually end up as the fourth best team in the country is unbelievable. It's gone so much better than I could have possibly expected, to be honest it's the kind of overachievement that probably annoys me when I see in other people's career updates.

d767241ac32c9d6a0e5b3f6e4e14afb8.png

Requested a couple of upgrades once the season had ended.

7f0d6a6bc879d3ce65a405ce26535680.png

Isaac Karamoko ended the year as the top scorer in the league, four ahead of his nearest rival. I'm going to keep offering him new contracts and hope he decides to re-sign, but I think he's probably on his way out. Youssef Taha was another player that impressed me despite missing several months with an injury, Ofir Mizrahi did well during his loan spell, Eduardo Sbampata was a commanding presence in defence, and Alex Rico was consistent in midfield.

Isaac Karamoko

735cd06dbbcedbd52ff30effda8865a2.png

166e2053bd05a201d06810b0b811ceb1.png

Edited by DaneBramage

June + July + August 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

The media expectation is that we'll finish 11th, and we're 450-1 for the title. I'm not sure if we can do as well as last year, I'd just like to make the top half again.

c40fddef33676469675e1609f02ee3f6.png

Our star player left along with a few fringe players. After 36 goals in 81 games for us Isaac Karamoko wanted to move on to a bigger club, and he's ended up back in France with Lille. Tomer Swisa was one of our best players in the promotion season, but couldn't cut it in the top tier.

f5f66de89f923b1745948a519c8274b2.png

Ofir Mizrahi impressed last year on loan, and is now returning permanently to take back his position on the left-wing. Yunusa Muritala will hopefully provide the goals up front. Paz Ben-Ari can play on both the right and centre of defence, while Lorenzo Colombini (on loan) can do the same on the left.

0a24b32f939c741669f0320b831ef7db.png

As usual the season started with the Toto Cup and we made a winning start, before we forgot how to score goals. We gained more points in the group stage than last year, but still managed to finish bottom. Even the newly promoted side Hapoel Ra'anana did a better job than us.

d03f77d1600836def186d5a06d87f9d6.png

a7d413e872635092e0447d999ecc8e93.png

In the play-off between the sides that finished 5th we were lucky that Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv were terrible at penalties, as that made the difference and was the only thing that stopped us being classified last in this tournament. Not happy at all with how this has gone.

d96e0495c76b5963c2a573defa799824.png

August + September 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We've started our league campaign with a nearly perfect defensive performance, going over 370 minutes before Sagi Malul conceded for the first time. At the other end of the pitch, things haven't been quite so good. A dominant win on the opening day saw Dor Hugi bag a brace, but he hasn't scored since. For that matter, no one else scored for the next three teams, as we ensured we kept going on last on the Israeli version of MOTD with three consecutive goalless draws. The Hapoel Ashkelon tie was particularly frustrating as we couldn't score from 26 efforts on goal, our strike partnership wasting 15 shots between them.

We eventually got some joy against Hapoel Haifa through an unlikely source, as midfielder Avihu Azar did the damage with a deadly two minute spell early on. With this double (a long range strike and a header from a corner) he's already 66% of the way towards matching last year's tally.

1b4c5f4b7a79bfd5d74ba5f57f5dce9d.png

After five games we're one of the three sides left with an unbeaten start still intact. 

We have four games coming up in October, then there's a break for the World Cup. Our January and February fixture list looks insanely busy due to this.

a6f205872266bacf9aad9806ec87ff4f.png

• DaneBramage changed the title to [FM20] - A Mediterranean Cruise - From Israel to ???

October + November 2022 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Terrible. After conceding just once in the first five games, the floodgates have opened and we've shipped eight goals in the next four games.

3336faf6ac18fed146a3688a46c5d71e.png

A very midtable record so far, but one that should probably be a bit better. The three losses were against teams in the top four, so can't really complain too much about them. Our wins have come against the teams in 10th, 11th, and 12th, keeping us above them. But two of our draws have been against the bottom two, so these were a pair of missed opportunities.

d88dfcf3d392b4e044960b278255f917.png

Yunusa Muritala came in on a free in the summer, but he's being sent on his way at the earliest possible time. Only one goal in 14 appearances, useless. I'm not having that, just go away. I'd have given him away for free, so getting £235k+ is a bonus.

fbf90b250803cd82d897d0e220cda1cf.png

One striker out, so one striker in. Let's hope Vlatko Stojanovki knows how to score goals.

fe5862f65620b7f7d29811b33aabaa43.png

December 2022 + January 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Wowsers, this is a lot of games. 10 matches in the space of 31 days. All I can say is rotation, rotation, rotation.

Our return to action after the World Cup break was a little unsteady, as we drew two games in a row without looking very good. Hapoel Ra'anana missed a penalty which would have given them the full three points, and Maccabi Haifa will be complaining to the FM Gods about us stealing a late equaliser.

Results then improved dramatically with three straight wins. Maccabi Haifa contributed to their own downfall with an own goal and another missed penalty, and Maccabi Netanya also made things difficult for themselves by going down to ten men for the last half hours, and we capitalised on our man advantage at a last-gasp corner. A few youngsters were played in the cup tie against non-league Beit Shemesh, and they made the most of the chance with a good performance and a few goals.

We then took on the two sides in the relegation area, and I wasn't particularly happy with another goalless draw against Hapoel Acre. Vlatko Stojanovski was especially bad, and found himself docked a week's pay for his profligacy (eight misses). Next time out we were much better, as we absolutely dominated Hapoel Ashkelon (31 shots to zero) and got the result we wanted.

The league leaders Hapoel Be'er Sheva knocked us out of the cup, but given the fixture pile-up that's probably not the worst outcome. And indeed, we bounced back in style. I was beginning to think Vlatko Stojanovski was a bit of a waste of space, but he made me eat my words with a five minute hat-trick when we trounced Hapoel Haifa (31 shots to one). 

f5dba669e8258c05dbb6e9fe3de9a8fc.png

Hapoel Be'er Sheva are comfortable at the top, but we're sitting behind them in 2nd place at the moment. There's a host of teams chasing us though, several of which have a game (or two) in hand, so we can't go resting on our laurels any time soon.

February is set to be another busy month with eight games scheduled.

79130ebb997de42aee964eb392afffeb.png

Posted (edited)

February + March 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Mahmoud Abdallah has hit a rich vein of form with seven goals in his last nine games, which is pretty welcome as we'd be doing very poorly without him. He's taken advantage of the opportunities available due to the fixture congestion, and has probably propelled himself up into being our first-choice striker. We only managed a disappointing 11 points from these nine games, and without his goals this would have been just five points. Nobody else has scored more than once in this time, and there've been a lot of bad performances all over the pitch.

5b8e60426661489e3c562634bb8beb50.png

We've just about managed to remain in the top half when the league splits, but it seemed like we were trying to throw this away at times. We made it by just the one point, if Hapoel Tel Aviv had shown any degree of competency they would have scraped in ahead of us.

That being said, top four is still within reach so we could match last year's finish. And if Maccabi Haifa go on to win the cup, 4th place would earn a spot in the Conference League.

c682573c89d391bcbc39990c4cc9e51a.png

Edited by DaneBramage

March + April + May 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We signed just two players from the youth intake. Since taking over the youth recruitment and junior coaching has been upgraded twice, so hopefully that will have an effect soon and the intakes will start providing more kids who might be worthwhile. That second lad is tiny.

16850b58e240ab342c555d52725120d2.png

We started the final phase with the toughest tie possible, away at the top side, so at least we got that loss over with early. And indeed, with that out of the way we then went on to do very well against the other four teams in the top group. We managed to pick up three consecutive wins to keep our points tally building up nicely, and the draw against Maccabi Netanya consolidated our position in the top four.

We then had the return tie against Hapoel Be'er Sheva at our place, and were celebrating a bit of a surprise victory. Mahmoud Abdallah had continued his good scoring run and was the hero for this one.

The loss to Hapoel Kfar Saba was painful, both goals were conceded from corners, and this was the only game in this spell where we didn't get on to the scoresheet. We bounced back well with a win over Maccabi Haifa, and ended the season strong with a small undefeated streak.

a47f7d401875873f00dfcc3702c5dfed.png

We came into this final stage in 6th place, but very quickly jumped back up to 4th place, and from there we never let it slip. We built up a good gap over Hapoel Kfar Saba and Maccabi Tel Aviv, and even when we dropped points they never looked like catching up with us. 

Maccabi Haifa were 11 points ahead of us at the start of this stage, and to end just one point behind them illustrates how horrendous their form was, as they lost their final five league games. However, they did win one game in this time, perhaps the most important one - the Gvia MaHedina final, where they pulled off a great performance out of nowhere to thrash Hapoel Tel Aviv 6-1. Good news for them, but great news for us too. If Hapoel Tel Aviv had won the cup, they'd have taken the final European place. But as Maccabi Haifa won it, and don't need it because they finished 3rd, it instead falls to us in 4th. Off to the Conference League!

0a3b40bc090a1846a7805bcd2261a617.png

4ee075cc5c61a422c6cff33a45f70e5b.png

We might have finished in the same position as last year, but this one definitely feels more triumphant. The European qualification is of course a big part of that, but that's a result of outside factors rather than anything we've done. But earning seven more points than last year shows that this is a step in the right direction.

4846c8f81b7b0a6ecd352f287da2f569.png

Sagi Malul was a big part of our success with 18 clean sheets this season (15 in the league). Perhaps a bit surprisingly Alex Corredera was voted our player of the season. We have three players who compete for the two central midfield spots and he played the fewest minutes of them, so maybe that needs to change next year.

We struggled a bit for goals up front, as our summer signing Yunusa Muritala turned out to be a bit of a donkey and was shipped out in the winter, and his replacement Vlatko Stojanovski wasn't much better. Luckily my first signing, from all the way back in June 2020, Mahmoud Abdallah, stepped up. He'd been a bit-part player up to now, but with a regular run of games under his belt he responded with a lot of important goals over the second half of the season.

4-4-2 Tactic

61fe3f75209a722f9aaf8fd191463bb5.png

6cb6264e0ee907be8fee883a741943bf.png

-------------------------------

Posted (edited)

June + July 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

You really need to overperform for years on end to increase expectations. Avoid relegation still, despite finishing 4th two years in a row. I'd like to be up there again, but it may well depend on how we do in Europe. If we have to fit more games in it will be difficult. The media prediction is 10th, and the bookies have us at 1000-1 for the title.

efac6c611985176b81b257757b5c39b7.png

A few players from the our first-team squad were ditched this summer. Itay Ozeri and Maor Zehavi were substitute defenders and were clearly a step below the first choices. Ofir Mizrahi had a good 2021/22 on loan, but was pretty poor when signed for 2022/23.

9eb7373bdbc10b15cdc25e7c02cddd8c.png

Just the three players brought in, though I am still looking for another right-back and centre-back. Terence Baya will be my new starting left-back, Tambi Sagas will probably be a rotation option in both central midfield and central defence, and Or Royzman will be in contention for the starting role on the left-wing.

0cb3fb0c89c1cd9a0f02a4464485ad14.png

Edited by DaneBramage

July + August 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Our season started early with an away tie in Bulgaria, for our first venture into European competition. I had no idea what to expect and feared that we'd be smashed immediately, but a goalless draw gave me a bit of confidence that we wouldn't be embarrassed. Back at our place Mahmoud Abdallah scored our first European goal towards the end of the first-half, and that was pretty much game over. Ludogorets Razgrad offered nothing, and Nissim Abuksis-Hanin put the game out of sight with 25 minutes to go.

I expected a much tougher test against Hearts, but we gave them a bit of a battering. They managed a late away goal to give them a chance going into the second leg, but we restricted them to just the one goal at Tynecastle, and we went through 3-2 on aggregate.

We had the lion's share of the possession at home against Hajduk Split, and took an early one-nil lead. Unfortunately we couldn't add to that and when the return tie came around, they gave us a bit of a spanking.  Our European campaign ended with heavy defeat, but we gave a good account of ourselves on the way.

2c5227780bd9d424e322b0b383903f37.png

July + August + September 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

Our domestic campaign began with the Toto Cup again, but I don't understand why we started at the group stage. I thought as a European qualifier we'd go straight into the knockout rounds. This was a bit of a blow, as the games were being played in between our European games, with only one or two days of rest. So none of the players who played in the Conference League qualifiers were involved in the group stage, a completely different eleven was being selected from the second string and under 19s.

And these players acquitted themselves very well. We picked up two wins and two draws in the group stage, with Nissim Abuksis-Hanin impressing in particular with a pair of braces.

ff6d3511e3c1ebac497da97e701e1edf.png

01adf2b47e251cfbd147c9433c098e63.png

The same eleven was used for the semi-final, at which point I was sure it would be too much for these young players. But again they played above expectations and scraped a 1-0 win to reach the final.

7bd7480a6f90983ffc18234c692331ba.png

With our European campaign over all of our players were now available to play in the final, and in what was probably a bit of an unpopular move I replaced the second string with my first-choice players for this match. Maybe that was unfair, but winning is more important than feelings. The one player I left in was Nissim Abuksis-Hanin. And goodness, he certainly paid me back for this show of faith (and probably made himself a starter going forward). He set us on our way with an early goal, before a second just after the break doubled our lead. He completed his hat-trick with 15 minutes left, and there was still time for Yarin Mizrahi to come off the bench to cap off a great victory.

Nissim Abuksis-Hanin took the MotM award, but a special mention is deserved for Alex Corredera too - all three of NAH's goals came as a result of his free-kicks.

6fe8f64544feac3dcc56f6e81b2338d8.png  f08b36f958c26c4c13116ff361af89fe.png

Time to invest in a trophy cabinet!

Although this is the first trophy the club has ever won, so maybe just a shelf will do for now.

d09d1be5ea8d663a1a065baa16520913.png

a2e1545402be404a6d3a084d985858ec.png

August + September 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

One more player left before the transfer window closed. Sahar Ohayon was unhappy about being demoted to second-choice left-back and complained about his lack of playing time, so he was sent on his way.

7bb02416b9eed9e6b67ec407568ea641.png

We brought in a couple of loanees to bolster our defensive ranks, a right-back (who can also play right-wing) and a centre-back.

752d04b9cbde786f7d27e159a86c3ca3.png

In between our European and domestic cup exploits we had to fit in three league matches, The Ashdod game saw our second-string take the field and battle to a goalless draw. Against Maccabi Netanya we were able to play our first-choice eleven, but they fell to a disappointing defeat. 

The Hapoel Haifa tie was only a few days before the cup final, so the backups and youngsters were back in for this. We left it late but pulled out the win, that man Nissim Abuksis-Hanin doing the business again.

No point showing a league table after three games, but we sit in 7th.

ff46dd09a40b0efd5b3b22df926a137a.png

Posted (edited)

October + November + December 2023 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

I got completely fed up with Vlatko Stojanovki and his inability to score goals (just 7 in 38 appearances) so sold him for his release clause. We've totally ripped them off.

9a5e7b06e427839bf6c54a08296d20f1.png

Our only left-back got injured so we brought in a cheap (rubbish) replacement for short-term cover, as well as a striker with some potential.

13f234f9d1ddd2636bf4e64b62ea9319.png

We've been terrible today. All of the good momentum from yesterday's session has disappeared and been replaced with incompetence. We were losing games like it was going out of fashion over October and November, and it seemed like we were sleepwalking our way towards relegation. December saw a slight upturn in fortunes as we went five unbeaten, but we only saw two wins in this time and even one of them was against a Liga Leumit game in the cup, and only came in extra-time when they were down to ten men.

0c88fcaeaf5bbedbde973ded83be245b.png

More losses than wins, not something you ever want to see. 5th to 14th are split by just seven points so we could still finish anywhere in this group, but repeating the top four finish of the last two years is starting to look out of reach. We just can't score goals, with the joint second worst attack in the division.

42941a02a8a0c223516a6aaa47e71c19.png

I'm actively checking the job centre every day now. I think winning the Toto Cup is probably the peak of what I can achieve here, and this squad of players is starting to really annoy me with poor performances and constant moaning.

There's a lot of second or third tier Italian jobs available, but I don't want to move to one of the big leagues yet. I wouldn't mind staying in Israel and continuing with a team that could compete for the title (there was talk about Hapoel Be'er Sheva being interested in the summer but nothing came of it), otherwise Greece or Turkey could be the next destination.

Edited by DaneBramage
Posted (edited)

January + February + March 2024 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

We were dismal throughout January with five losses from seven games. I was thinking about prioritising the cup and seeing if I could make a run towards winning that to try and redeem this season, but instead we were eliminated by a Liga Leumit side, despite having our strongest side on the pitch. I was this close to quitting on the spot.

I needed to inspire a change and went to a different tactic, introducing a 4-5-1 formation. This had an immediate impact as we picked up three successive wins including a win over Hapoel Be'er Sheva and a thrashing of Hapoel Kfar Saba, and I started getting excited. Unfortunately, it didn't last. We quickly regressed back to our previous crap form, only picking up two points from the final four games of the first phase. It should have been much better, but we threw away two points by conceding in the 85th and 87th minutes against Hapoel Tel Aviv, and then lost another against Beitar Jerusalem by conceding in the 92nd minute.

2cc53670365cb6625a5687489b1c79c0.png

After January's fixtures we were hovering dangerously close to the relegation area, dropping as low as 11th at one point. The run of wins pushed us back up the table and going into the final game our fate was in our own hands, but the stupid injury-time goal we conceded meant we missed out on a top six finish by goal difference, and instead are involved in the lower half final phase, and can now finish 7th at best.

71945205bd7a8663e8e758400bd09657.png

Signed three players from the youth intake. I imagine I'll be long gone by the time they might be ready for a spot in the first-team.

0e4d82bbc1fbb74388e631095f0cd96f.png

Edited by DaneBramage

April + May 2024 - Hapoel Nof HaGalil

For the first time we've been involved in the bottom half after the league split rather than the top, which is disappointing. We had a seven point gap over the relegation area and very few of the teams in this group had any semblance of form behind them (hence their position), so there wasn't much to play for other than being best of the rest.

We made a great start to this period with a pair of 3-0 wins, but then we were dominated by Hapoel Haifa. I was fuming after the first half hour against Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv, when they'd steamrolled us out of the gate and stormed into a 3-0 lead. The hairdryer treatment at half-time did the job though, as we produced a massively better second half performance to come out on top of a seven goal thriller. Two more wins followed with another pair of clean sheets, but the season ended with a damp squib of a 1-0 loss. Hapeol Ra'anana were playing for their Ligat Japanika survival and it showed as they scratched and clawed their way to a win.

c1822008ea40b542a77872132c415981.png

Hapoel Haifa put a bit of pressure on us before their form fell away which gave us an easy path towards finishing 7th. 15 points fewer than last year (albeit with three fewer games) is a big drop-off and one I'm not happy about, but at least in this final phase we scored enough goals to end with a positive goal difference. 

368ae350857cc1f8db45ee2a8886386a.png

The board are fairly happy with how the season's gone, but I have mixed feelings. Our year basically peaked in September when we won the Toto Cup, and the league season was ruined by dreadful months in October, November, and January. 

9a5dc7fd678ce67e8a9993717af103ff.png

Nissim Abuksis-Hanin was our top scorer with 14 goals, but when you take out those in the secondary cup and early rounds of European competition, that left just five in the league. Dor Hugi was our league top scorer with nine, but more than half of these were in the second phase when the pressure was off and we were playing the weaker teams.

Alex Corredera was voted our player of the season after being the only player to produce a good average rating for the year, while Sagi Malul was chosen as the league's best goalkeeper after 12 clean sheets.

daf34824958b45fab8be1e87a233de5a.png

Two steps forward, one step back. I've picked up my first silverware and made a decent stab at a first European campaign, but the fall in league position is a letdown.

d8753071c24da7b4e24652e371f1e8a0.png

May 2024

I think I've taken Hapoel Nof HaGalil as far as I can, I don't see much potential left for further improvement. And with the idea of this being a journeyman career I didn't want to get stuck in a midtable malaise with them. I didn't enjoy that last season much either, so it's definitely time to make a move.

4e8e616d5c5cb163057ef31c18e4c810.png

13dfc26cf945f130c836c9683c480187.png

June 2024

I'd put in three job applications over three countries, and was invited to job interviews for each.

51a1804ea07e9070d8b49acd42cff8bf.png - The first response came from Asteras Tripolis, who'd just survived the relegation play-off in the Greek top tier. I delayed making a decision for a week as they were my backup option if the others didn't amount to anything.

6a1bdd26fb37b747e3fe45f44d29e56e.png - The next response was from Antalyaspor. At the start of the decade they'd suffered a relegation but immediately bounced back to the Turkish top tier, and had since re-established themselves with three midtable finishes. Again, I delayed my decision for a week, but this was my second choice.

87cb4ec32ef3ccf75bd3e9e24de2a265.png - The third offer, and the one I wanted, was to stay in Israel's top tier with Maccabi Tel Aviv. They've gone through managers like nobody's business in recent years, with trophies being pretty sparse as the main reason why. Vladimir Ivic was given the boot in 2021 after finishing 2nd and 6th. Jaap Stam won their only league title in recent years in 2022, but used this as a stepping stone to move to Fiorentina. Following him was a tough task, and one that Gennaro Gattuso miserably failed at. A 27% win percentage saw him only last six months before he was replaced by Dejan Stankovic. He stabilised them that season and recovered a 6th place finish, but in his only full season in charge 4th place and Conference League qualification wasn't enough and he was swiftly sent packing.

So I'm taking on a difficult job here. With 24 Ligat Japanika and 23 Gvia MaMedina wins the trophy cabinet is bursting, and the board will be expecting additions to this. The budgets are massive compared to what I've seen previously and the squad looks a lot better, so this is a side that should be set up the challenge for domestic honours. But this could also be a recipe for disaster. If things don't go well it won't take long for them to point me back towards the Job Centre again.

ada2396dd3bfe643226bb17719cdb903.png

bceca7e55446a4481fa33354daa8d0cc.png

Ast.Tripolis is a very organized club IRL and for a weird reason they have a lot money to spend in fm.:D Good luck Tel Aviv!

5 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Ast.Tripolis is a very organized club IRL and for a weird reason they have a lot money to spend in fm.:D Good luck Tel Aviv!

Thanks! I really don't know how it's going to go, it could be a year filled with glorious success or I could be sacked and hounded out of the country within just a few months. The joy of taking over a big club...

Maccabi Tel Aviv - June + July 2024

Other clubs have been more successful in Israel in the last few years and have become more reputable than Maccabi Tel Aviv, but we remain a very big club. With a bank balance of £34 million we have no financial worries, and a transfer budget of £15 million looks ridiculous. I only spent £21k in my four years at Hapoel Nof HaGalil...

The board remain ambitious though and want to get back to winning ways, and have the facilities to match. Superb training facilities, state of the art youth facilities, an excellent youth academy, and exceptional junior recruitment gives us a set-up to rival the top teams in Europe. 

Accordingly, the board expect big things, and they have a long list of conditions they want met. Winning the league is the main priority, and the media predict that we'll do this too. We're also favourites with the bookies at 3-1.

ecb2d75dc476f70c02010c496163443a.png  4fc0983950506abf6406df88007bf063.png

All three of the players brought in were deals that were pre-arranged before I took over. It doesn't take a genius to work out where the scout was sent last season, but you do have to wonder if the previous manager realised you can only start six foreign players in the Ligat Japanika. All three players look talented, but with an Angolan, an Italian, and a Brazilian added to the ranks, this took the foreign collective up to eight players. It also gave us a massive first-team squad of 31 players.

4f4718a280aeb0612dc157bc85e86456.png

All players who left up to 1st July were organised before I took over, 8th July downwards is me. This was mainly about trimming down the squad to a manageable size.

028c26044510772871dd111ef35701e8.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - July + August 2024

My first game in charge was an away tie against Siroki Brijeg in Bosnia & Herzegovina, in the Conference League 2nd Qualifying Round. I expected a victory, but there's always that moment of hesitation. Luckily a third minute opener settled the butterflies and we went on to pick up a fairly easy win. Next up was my first domestic game in the Toto Cup. It's not a priority for the board, but as I won it with Hapoel Nof HaGalil last year it would be nice to do well again with my new employers. We went straight in at the knockout stage rather than having to go through the groups, and picked up a satisfying win over tough competition in Hapoel Be'er Sheva.

We started August with the return leg against Siroki Brijeg, and dispatched of them without much trouble. A quickfire double in the 11th and 13th minutes killed the game early. We then took on Slovenian opposition in the 3rd Qualifying Round, and again won home and away against ND Mura.

Back in Israel we had the Toto Cup semi-final against Maccabi Netanya, and despite dominating the game it took until the 89th minute for us to clinch the winning goal. There was a large element of luck to it, as when the ball was headed back to their keeper, our right-winger Eduardo Guerrero just stayed in the box. The keeper went to take a quick kick but instead booted it straight at him, and the rebound flew into the net. Reports that Eduardo Guerrero had to lie, cheat, and steal to get the goal remain unconfirmed, but he certainly brought the Latino Heat.

I was expecting more resistance from Ferencvarosi in the Conference League 4th Qualifying Round, but instead we gave them an absolute battering. Uruguay's manager was there to take a look at Juan Manuel Gutierrez and will have been impressed with his hat-trick.

Our league campaign then kicked off with a trip to Maccabi Netanya, and right-back Rafi Ben-Hemo made a terrible error inside our box to gift them an easy goal in the first-half. We rallied in the second half though and fought back to claim a 2-1 win.

The final game of August was the return trip to Hungary to take on Ferencvarosi again, and with the huge lead from the first leg I made a lot of changes to the team to keep legs fresh. A 1-1 draw is a fine result on the face of it, but is a bit disappointing given the sheer amount of chances we had. Should have reached double figures on aggregate. Incidentally, fans of Ben's Meyrin side will have been interested that the Ferencvarosi goal was scored by a 36 year old Renato Augusto.

25a5156108111f294b2242fd14b17aef.png

So that's pretty much a perfect start to my time with Maccabi Tel Aviv. Eight consecutive wins is nothing to be sniffed at, and given the context I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt for the recent draw. I'm not doing anything fancy tactically, just going with my tried and tested 4-4-2 formation (until inevitably it'll be found out at some point).

Coming up in September we have four Ligat Japanika games, plus the Toto Cup final against Maccabi Haifa. There will also be the draw for the Conference League group stage.

Maccabi Tel Aviv - September 2024

This isn't a very European-looking European group. Despite all of these federations playing in UEFA competition, none of them are situated solely in Europe. Israel is part of Asia, while Russia, Azerbaijan, and Kazakhstan all crossover into both Europe and Asia.

Nonetheless, I may well be underestimating a couple of these sides but I think we could qualify from this group. I expect Spartak Moscow to come out on top, but we could well sneak through in 2nd place.

That being said, if being in Europe starts to negatively influence our league form it is the lesser priority and I may have to play a rotated team accordingly.

ca2c53dc8f517170809393700ce36a23.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - September 2024

I was worried when we conceded in the fifth minute against Hapoel Haifa that we weren't responding the right way to the disappointing draw that ended August. Luckily that feeling lasted just half an hour, as we grabbed an equaliser before quickly taking the lead. In the second half we then kicked on and managed a big victory. After the international break our result against Hapoel Kfar Saba wasn't quite as emphatic, but it was a very one-sided game where we never looked in any danger.

Up next was our first Conference League group game, as we hosted Kairat. They barely got out of their own half, the only question was how long it would take us to score. Kairat put up a resilient defensive effort, but we made the breakthrough just before the interval then added another not long after half-time to make sure of the result. A goal in the opening minute against Hapoel Ra'anana killed their spirit early, giving us another easy victory.

We then came to the Toto Cup final, where we were taking on Maccabi Haifa (the same side I beat at this stage with Hapoel Nof HaGalil last season). The game was quite even but we made the most of our chances, Juan Manual Gutierrez scoring a great hat-trick to earn him the match ball and the MotM award. This took him to 12 goals in 10 games so far this year. There were plenty of other good displays in this match, and 20 players earned a medal for their part in us winning this competition.

There was no letting up, as just four days later we back in action against Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv in the league. Centre back Guido Broun had been a bit difficult earlier in the month after an offer for his services from Sevilla had been rejected, but there were no signs of that affecting him in this match as he returned from injury with a goal.

b40f2315d1da077676d47a410b586a65.png

That's the second trophy of my career as I win the Toto Cup for a second year in a row, but I'm still a long way off of making any impact on the Israeli Hall of Fame.

2bd535c7f94d82224dabb8ae3ca063e7.png

Our perfect start to the league campaign was matched by Hapoel Be'er Sheva for the first four games, but after they lost their fifth match Maccabi Haifa overtook them to emerge as our main challengers at this point. We've scored a lot more goals than anyone else so far, Eduardo Guerrero and Uri Asulin currently sitting joint top of the league scoring chart with three goals apiece.

My old club Hapoel Nof HaGalil had a terrible time in the Toto Cup, finishing bottom of the group and only avoiding finishing last in the overall rankings by winning a penalty shootout in the 15th place play-off. But they've made a good start in the league and currently sit just outside of the top four.

Spartak Moscow struggled to a 1-1 draw with Qarabag in the Conference League, which gives us an early lead.

937cd90ccdb336a623df0077e23c8733.png  70a7a637531d115bbf859a46a7751c50.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - October 2024

I saw Spartak Moscow as being the team to beat in our Conference League group, so the away tie in Russia would be the toughest game of this stage. However, it turned out to be a very winnable match, and Ronen Hanzis was the difference maker, showing some good anticipation to keep running forward after his throughball to Juan Manuel Gutierrez, so he was in the perfect place to slot home the rebound when the keeper could only parry the striker's effort away. We had a second away Conference League game this month against Qarabag, and this was an even easier victory. Ronen Hanzis again impressed with a brace.

This game was sandwiched with a couple of Ligat Japanika matches, and we managed 2-0 wins in each. We were making hard work of it against Hapeol Acre, but Raffaele Celia came on at half-time and from the left-wing took the MotM award with an assist and a goal.

aaa023ef60c05023f7d596c941c67e61.png

Perfect. We've won every game so far in the Ligat Japanika and the Conference League group stage, and we already have a five point lead in both. 

19ef9c07acced6feb4a3a833cc3795aa.png  34c7239125115df31c1bd93a1a57bcac.png

Posted (edited)

Maccabi Tel Aviv - November 2024

A comfortable away league win was a good way to start the month, and this was followed by a massive win in Europe. With a commanding lead in the group I played an entirely rotated side against Qarabag, and Mbala Nzola made the most of a rare start with four goals.

Back in the league we then dropped our first points of the season, as although we absolutely dominated Hapoel Tel Aviv we couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. They of course scored with their only shot all game, and we relied on a penalty from Mbala Nzola. We should have won by a rugby score though, and his profligacy is big reason why we didn't. Of the ten efforts from him alone, only four were on target, and none from open play were successful. I hoped for an immediate response against Maccabi Petah Tikva, but instead we were pretty poor and only snatched a point when Raffaele Celia pounced on a defensive mistake.

With qualification already assured an entirely rotated team took on Kairat. We managed the win, but it wasn't impressive. We didn't start playing until we went a goal down in the 81st minute, but at least we hit back straight away and then grabbed a stoppage-time winner.

2aaf3bae4a3bd164099b9e38fa9fcdcb.png

I knew we wouldn't carry on winning forever, but it's still pretty frustrating to see a 12 game winning streak end. Now I've got to hope this is only a temporary blip and we can get rolling again. We remain top of the league table, but the gap has reduced to three points.

I don't know why the form column is saying five wins in a row. That's obviously wrong. 

We've steamrolled through the Conference League group and have won it with a game to go.

9d719c4bdb24a776c0a9fdf038b556c9.png  c981078aef5c1889b38bc1bea688ea44.png

Edited by DaneBramage

Maccabi Tel Aviv - December 2024

We started December with our first goalless draw of the season, meaning we were now on a run of three draws in a row in the league. Again we had countless chances to score and should have won comfortably, and after the game I let the team know that I was not impressed with the recent form. The players weren't happy with this approach, but I made it clear that I did not want standards to drop. We then had our final Conference League group stage match, and completed the double over Spartak Moscow to make it a full house, six wins out of six. 

Back in league action I was desperate for a win, and it just so happened that we were visiting my old club. It could have been a disaster waiting to happen, Hapoel Nof HaGalil were out for revenge, but we put on a very professional performance to come out on top. We faced easier opposition in the Gvia HaMedina 8th Round coming up against non-league Ironi Tiberias, and battered them 5-0.

Our faltering league form continued to be an issue against Maccabi Netanya, as we bossed the game with 60% possession but couldn't get the ball in the net. I knew something needed to change and I switched to my alternative 4-5-1 formation against Hapoel Haifa, and we played much better. Ronen Hanzis (two assists) and Nehoray Biton (two goals, one assist) linked up brilliantly between the attacking midfield and left-wing positions, doing some real damage to the opposition defence.

cd1e6f0338ad86e8bc5f673294eb9b76.jpg

Despite not being entirely happy with our league form, eight points from a possible twelve is still a good haul and we're still unbeaten so far this season. We have the best attack in the division and the best defence, so our goal difference is miles better than anyone else. We've now stretched out an eight point lead at the top, although this could be reined in to just two points depending on how Maccabi Haifa and Hapoel Be'er Sheva do with their games in hand.

We made easy work of the Conference League group, going through with maximum points. This means we skip the next stage and go straight to the Second knockout round.

2442fec308e2455cbdd43997dcb2b655.png  1b02b6f50922886689f1bdf0655371e9.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - January 2025

After being undefeated in my first 30 games at the club I finally saw my first loss with Maccabi Tel Aviv. We'd been on a streak of six clean sheets, but the new RNG caused by loading up the game today ended that run and for the first time we conceded more than once, which was enough to slip to defeat versus Hapoel Kfar Saba.

We bounced back with a big 4-0 win before we had the top of the table clash against Hapoel Be'er Sheva. We ground out a bore draw and we probably left happier with this than they did, as it maintained our lead. Another big win followed, and we added one in the cup for good measure too, scoring an element of revenge against Hapoel Kfar Saba. Another win made it look like we had returned to our previously imperious form, but we ended the month with a poor draw against a Hapoel Ramat Gan Giv'atayim side battling relegation. Twice we took the lead, twice we conceded via free-kicks. 

Uri Asulin had an excellent month, scoring 10 times in just seven games. Unfortunately he was let down by some of his teammates, his strike partners scoring just twice beaten them.

2da4ef85512cd667aa7787b26b015243.png

These dropped points have allowed Hapoel Be'er Sheva to catch up with us and we now remain above them thanks only to our much better goal difference. 

ade3af135224cc9629532a15b43e35ac.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - January 2025

We spent most of January knocking back offers from China for Sagiv Zohar, which at times were going as high as £19 million (plus add-ons). He was tempted to go, but his main interest was in joining Sevilla, and no offer came from them. I convinced him to turn down the Chinese offer by promising him we'd win the league this year, which increases the pressure on me but keeps him happy for now.

Unfortunately, disaster struck at the end of the transfer window. I'd completely forgotten to look out for which of my players might have release clauses that could be activated, and one was. And it was a big one. Uri Asulin had been having an excellent season with 22 goals in 29 appearances but when Espanyol came in with a bid of just £2 million his foreign club release clause was activated. I made a last gasp effort to offer him a new contract, but it was too late. He was gone.

1ed5686c51bdb7fc58f968834a770241.png

I brought in two new players during the transfer window. First up was Claudiney Lempeck, a Brazilian midfielder from Hapoel Kfar Saba. Not only was he recommended by my scouts, but he'd also set up one of the goals when they beat us at the start of the month. He'll likely see a lot of first-team action, as I'd got fed up with and transfer-listed one of my midfielders who'd played poorly recently and then reacted badly to an interaction about his crap form.

The second signing was a last minute panic buy to add another striker to our ranks. Isaac Karamoko was one of my stars at Hapoel Nof HaGalil when he scored 17 goals in my first season in the Ligat Japanika. He got very little playing time in France, mainly appearing for Lille's second team, but hopefully he can return to his 2021/22 form for me.

cd7693f9258e8eb5f63610ee92a15265.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - February 2025

The offers we're receiving for Sagiv Zohar are getting insane. I'm lucky we're rich and can afford to turn these down, but I do wonder how much longer it can continue before his head is turned or the board step in and accept a big one. He's vital to our success though, I hope we can keep him as long as possible. Not only is he a key part of our defence, he's also a big threat at the other end of the pitch.

This was perhaps best demonstrated in our 4-1 league win over Maccabi Haifa. Three of our goals came from corners taken by Sagiv Zohar, two of them where he was credited with an assist and the other leading to a goalmouth scramble which was eventually poked in. We actually had a double header against Maccabi Haifa, as immediately after we played them again in the Gvia HeMedina quarter-final. This was much closer, a proper ding-dong game where the lead changed hands several times. We just about pipped them though, Eduardo Guerrero making the difference with the assist for all four games, pinpoint precision with his crossing. Viva la raza!

Goals goals goals really were the order of the month, as we then battered Hapoel Tel Aviv 6-1. All six goals came from different players, one of them was a solo effort but interestingly of the five goals which were set up by a teammate, all came from defenders. Sagiv Zohar bagged another couple of assists, from free-kicks this time. A perfect February continued with two more league wins, Nehoray Biton having his moment to shine by scoring in four consecutive games.

719731caaebdd70c6857334ec67fdd2b.png

Lovely stuff. While we've bagged the full complement of 15 points available this month, Hapoel Be'er Sheva have had a rocky spell. Although their defensive record is narrowly better than ours, they haven't scored even half the goals we have. And this has come to bite them as they dropped seven points this month allowing us to build up a good lead over them.

There are just two games left in this first phase, and as fate would have it game 26 is us against Hapoel Be'er Sheva. That could give one of us a big boost going into the league split.

1182f6dc8face3ad81a3da9ad375ea42.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - March 2025

What a time to forget how to play football. After flying through January we've been utterly putrid in February.

I took a punt against Hapoel Nof HaGalil, giving Isaac Karamoko his first start against our old club. This didn't work out at all, he was completely ineffectual upfront and we had no cutting edge. When we did eventually have a gilt-edged chance to take the win, Dor Peretz tamely rolled his penalty wide of the post. That's two players who won't be starting any more games any time soon then. 

We had our first leg against NK Maribor in the Conference League second knockout round away in Slovenia, and went home with just our second loss of the season. We did get two away goals though, so we still have a chance in the reverse fixture. Unfortunately, our second loss was quickly followed by our third. Hapoel Be'er Sheva had just dispensed of their manager and caretaker boss Gustavo Boccoli (stepping up from the under 21s) put forward a claim to that role on a full-time basis with a 3-1 win over us.

b6061c6a66d27f65aeaae6547a56a4ed.png

I'm not happy at all with that last game. We could have gone into the final ten games with a commanding 11 point lead; instead it's been cut down to just five and we've handed the momentum to our nearest challengers.

d9e01326498d8e398524289f48ce3aa0.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - March 2025

What an absolutely rubbish youth intake. I've signed six players, but that's more out of a feeling that I should rather than seeing anything worthwhile in them. Only one player hitting even three stars is just abysmal, I expected a lot better from the calibre of facilities and coaches we have here. I won't rush into replacing the HoYD, I'll let him have another shot next year, but if that's just as bad he'll be on his way.

aca920f65e9a220a668c87c89e3533bf.png

We went into the second leg one goal down, but Maribor quickly increased their lead with an early goal. Mbala Nzola got one back in the second half, but wasted another 10 opportunities (ten!!!), and we went out of the Conference League 3-2 on aggregate. We went further than I expected us to, but that's a disappointing elimination.

Things then went from bad to worse as we got well and truly beaten 4-1 by Hapoel Kfar Saba to extend our winless run to five games. Our defence was just tragic, being carved apart time after time.  I was worried we were on the cusp of bottling everything and if we'd lost the Gvia HaMedina semi-final it could turn into a crisis, but the lack of pressure that comes from playing in a neutral stadium worked to our advantage and we turned in a good performance to win 2-0, centre-back Guido Broun the unlikely hero with two goals (both coming from close range after free-kicks). 

The next game was one that could be a season-definer, as we took on Hapoel Be'er Sheva. If they'd won, the gap would have come down to just a single point. We were nervous early on and almost conceded a couple of times, but once we'd weathered the storm we gradually took control of the game and eventually eased into a 3-0 win.

d0174bc5db77e46d7c6fb01359595b6c.png

After the elimination from European competition and the 4-1 thrashing I thought the wheels might be coming off of our campaign, but the last two games have me a bit happier again. We remain top of the league and have a lead equivalent of two wins and a draw, and Hapoel Be'er Sheva are struggling for form even worse than we were. Maccabi Haifa in third may even be the main challengers over these final eight matches.

In the Gvia HaMedina cup final we'll be facing my old club Hapoel Nof HaGalil, in a game which could be the only way they can rescue their season, as relegation looks a real possibility for them.

98e8875264543eb723309f705d98ce53.png

Maccabi Tel Aviv - April 2025

This title is ours to lose, and apparently these players want to do just that. Losing to Maccabi Haifa allowed them to close the gap further, and three players incurred a week's fine for their terrible performances. Juan Manuel Gutierrez hit back with a brace to win next time out, but since then we've been awful. There's no effort or commitment being shown, just weak, lazy showings. Five points from a possible 12 is nowhere near good enough.

58e631347ad53c20f65fcf2360ed17c7.png

Hapoel Be'er Sheva have fallen away, but Maccabi Haifa have overtaken them and now sit just three points below us. With four games left and on a much superior run to form, they have to be considered the favourites at this point. We play them on 10th May in a match which could decide where the title goes.

51f9c395ea2c09749f5b1dbe4196e62a.png