For the second season in a row I find myself relegated to the role of picking the team and letting the assistant handle matches. Why you ask? It seems there are certain criteria hardcoded into the game which results in an instant ruin your season. Namely:

- Buy more than x players per season and squad breaks

- Use more than y players per season and season peters out

This generates a media article saying 'your team looks like a set of individuals rather than a team' or 'have used a staggering amount of players this season', though surprisingly squad cohesion is still rated as good?

Anyway let this serve as a warning to anyone, break these hidden thresholds and risk wasting a season's worth of effort and time.

10 hours ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

For the second season in a row I find myself relegated to the role of picking the team and letting the assistant handle matches. Why you ask? It seems there are certain criteria hardcoded into the game which results in an instant ruin your season. Namely:

This generates a media article saying 'your team looks like a set of individuals rather than a team' or 'have used a staggering amount of players this season', though surprisingly squad cohesion is still rated as good?

Anyway let this serve as a warning to anyone, break these hidden thresholds and risk wasting a season's worth of effort and time.

I don't agree at all. I play LLM, and routinely have a huge turnover of players throughout the season (especially before you get to English League Two), I managed to scrape Bradford Park Avenue to League Two in five seasons, which I was pretty pleased with. 

i don't want to start a flame war, but there is probably something a little more obvious than hardcoded "you bought too many players" - with a bit more info on what is going wrong, I am sure some of the guys on hear might be able to point out some areas to improve upon....

In terms of squadbuilding i would say, that too much in and outs are not really good for teambuilding. I think that is more a natural thing than hardcoded.

Curious how many changes you make to your team. Can't imagine changing your whole starting line up in one window is any good though. Just ask Fulham when they got relegated last time.

1 hour ago, Britrock said:

Schedule some team bonding or community outreach training to increase team cohesion if you're seeing these kind of issues 

this is a good point

On 10/03/2021 at 11:22, Britrock said:

Schedule some team bonding or community outreach training to increase team cohesion if you're seeing these kind of issues 

I did, also added in some teamwork sessions. Can't see it makes a huge impact tbh.

On 10/03/2021 at 10:24, zyfon5 said:

Curious how many changes you make to your team. Can't imagine changing your whole starting line up in one window is any good though. Just ask Fulham when they got relegated last time.

The core squad is relatively stable. Some of them were just kids getting a small amount of first team experience, others were forced because of injuries (of my two main strikers, one got ruled out for 3 months and the other was consistently turning in <6.6 performances). Another was a bit of an accident, as I confused one Portugese RB with another of the same surname(!)

I only signed one player in the Jan window; I trimmed the squad down a bit too as we were out of Europe.

Probably I feel the need to rotate so much as we're in the CL and have two games a week, it's quite punishing on fitness levels and doesn't allow as much training.

On 10/03/2021 at 16:56, ray27 said:

Doesn't it also depend on rhe players personalitys that you are bringing in?

To many diffrent ones can't be good

I tend to aim for more determined senior players, kids <23 I'm a bit less demanding on as I figure I can mentor/bollock them to the required levels. Never sign anyone with det <12 though, unless they're an incredible youth prospect.

On 09/03/2021 at 23:13, IbrahimAliMaher said:

More player turnover will cause issues with dynamics.  Training sessions including team bonding and community outreach help with this a huge deal.  I had player turnover over a pre-season to the point where I only had 4 players in from the previous season's squad (and more players coming in over the course of the season) in my non-league save, and due to the emphasis in training I placed on team bonding my team dynamics were back to excellent by the time the league matches started.

So, yes.  Large player turnover will massively hinder dynamics if you do nothing about it, but seeing as there are things you can do to resolve it what you are describing is not a hard-coded and unsolvable issue as you state.  It's called Football Manager for a reason - you have to actually manage your team and there's more to it than buying/selling players and setting tactics.

Edited by kevhamster
48 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

More player turnover will cause issues with dynamics.  Training sessions including team bonding and community outreach help with this a huge deal.  I had player turnover over a pre-season to the point where I only had 4 players in from the previous season's squad (and more players coming in over the course of the season) in my non-league save, and due to the emphasis in training I placed on team bonding my team dynamics were back to excellent by the time the league matches started.

So, yes.  Large player turnover will massively hinder dynamics if you do nothing about it, but seeing as there are things you can do to resolve it what you are describing is not a hard-coded and unsolvable issue as you state.  It's called Football Manager for a reason - you have to actually manage your team and there's more to it than buying/selling players and setting tactics.

You didn't read the response I posted above then. The pre-season training sessions by default have a team bonding session, which I make sure to use myself. When I saw these problems occurring I immediately started adding these into regular season training. I would note my team cohesion never dropped below 'good' at any stage.

As evidence for the first point, I actually abandoned the season where we signed too many players in February as it just got to the point where it got unsalvageable and no fun to play. As an experiment I replayed the same matches a few times with different tactics, still we'd lose/draw at best and ridiculous things would happen, like they'd bring on a 17 year old with a FK stat of 8 and he'd bend one into the top corner with 5 mins left in a match we'd dominated. I reloaded an old save from pre-season where by that point I'd only signed the key targets, so I ignored the rest and kept the squad as it was. And guess what? Instead of being relegation fodder we finish 4th and a CL place.

For the second case of using too many players we were so crap that we just about scraped 7th place, which fortunately was enough to satisfy the board that I'd met minimum performance criteria of Europa League qualification. After that however a team who finished below me won the German Cup, so I think we're out of Europe next season. I intend to use this as an opportunity to trim down the squad and basically just chose the same 15 or so players for every match squad, presumably that way we'll at least play to our minimum potential.

2 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

You didn't read the response I posted above then. The pre-season training sessions by default have a team bonding session, which I make sure to use myself. When I saw these problems occurring I immediately started adding these into regular season training. I would note my team cohesion never dropped below 'good' at any stage.

As evidence for the first point, I actually abandoned the season where we signed too many players in February as it just got to the point where it got unsalvageable and no fun to play. As an experiment I replayed the same matches a few times with different tactics, still we'd lose/draw at best and ridiculous things would happen, like they'd bring on a 17 year old with a FK stat of 8 and he'd bend one into the top corner with 5 mins left in a match we'd dominated. I reloaded an old save from pre-season where by that point I'd only signed the key targets, so I ignored the rest and kept the squad as it was. And guess what? Instead of being relegation fodder we finish 4th and a CL place.

For the second case of using too many players we were so crap that we just about scraped 7th place, which fortunately was enough to satisfy the board that I'd met minimum performance criteria of Europa League qualification. After that however a team who finished below me won the German Cup, so I think we're out of Europe next season. I intend to use this as an opportunity to trim down the squad and basically just chose the same 15 or so players for every match squad, presumably that way we'll at least play to our minimum potential.

There's other things at play here.

"I reloaded an old save from pre-season where by that point I'd only signed the key targets, so I ignored the rest and kept the squad as it was. And guess what? Instead of being relegation fodder we finish 4th and a CL place."

Here it sounds like your team over-performed.  Other teams took you too lightly, and you were able to take advantage of it.

Tactics likely come into it, especially when it comes to tactical familiarity.  Rotation is always necessary to a degree, but regular wholesale changes to a starting 11 is going to have a negative effect and the team will struggle to find a rhythm.  But, you can still have significant player turnover and do well.  It's all down to how well you manage it.

I've seen enough examples, whether it be from the careers forum, people on Youtube/Twitch etc and even my own saves to know the issue you're stating is not as black and white as you're trying to suggest it is.

Ultimately, high player turnover has to be very carefully managed.  If it's not, you will struggle.

Pep Guardiola: -if you take over an english team, the game is hardcoded so that you cannot win a CL trophy.

Cant argue the facts, yet it doesnt make any sense.